PDA

View Full Version : Question in anticipation of possible UNC-UCLA matchup

dukemsu
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
A question in anticpation of UNC...with UVA to come first, of course.

I'm watching UCLA/Arizona on CBS, and I was wondering about a potential UCLA/UNC tournament matchup. A horrifying question for the officiating committee came to mind while watching Love do his bull in a china shop routine:

Who will get the calls? Hans or Love? Both play the same "I'm going to slam into you and the ref will give me two free throws and send you to the bench" routine. I know each have other skills, but their offensive games are largely based on physical play. If these two play each other, in theory, one of them will actually have two fouls by halfway through the second half.

Love absolutely freight-trained a UA player, made a layup, and Nantz noted that there was no call. Of course Packer was there to say: "Good no-call. That's how UCLA operates". Guess that makes it okay. CBS, keeping it real. Love must have watched a lot of Cookie Monster May's highlights from his Carolina days. Very similar games, though I think Love does have more upside.

My prediction: Ol' Roy would anticipate this problem and let Hans go nowhere near Love on the defensive end, sacrificing Green or someone else. Howland, however, might actually expect Love to guard Hans. That would lead to Love sitting at the end of the bench.

dukemsu

OZZIE4DUKE
03-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm watching UCLA/Arizona on CBS, and I was wondering about a potential UCLA/UNC tournament matchup. A horrifying question for the officiating committee came to mind while watching Love do his bull in a china shop routine:

Hopefully, they'll beat each other up in the semifinal game and we'll take on the remains of the winner for the National Championship. But like you said, let's take care of UVA on Wednesday first and not be looking ahead. It is too early to start the Status Check thread. Well, maybe not! Yeah, it is. Gotta take care of business first. Got ... to ... resist ... temptation.

DoubleDuke Dad
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Who will get the calls? Hans or Love? Both play the same "I'm going to slam into you and the ref will give me two free throws and send you to the bench" routine. I know each have other skills, but their offensive games are largely based on physical play. If these two play each other, in theory, one of them will actually have two fouls by halfway through the second half.

Love absolutely freight-trained a UA player, made a layup, and Nantz noted that there was no call. Of course Packer was there to say: "Good no-call. That's how UCLA operates". Guess that makes it okay. CBS, keeping it real. Love must have watched a lot of Cookie Monster May's highlights from his Carolina days. Very similar games, though I think Love does have more upside.

My prediction: Ol' Roy would anticipate this problem and let Hans go nowhere near Love on the defensive end, sacrificing Green or someone else. Howland, however, might actually expect Love to guard Hans. That would lead to Love sitting at the end of the bench.

dukemsu
When an irresistible force such as you
Meets an old immovable object like me
You can bet as sure as you live
Somewhere, sometime, somehow
Something's gotta give

So Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight with all of our mights
Chances are some heavenly star spangled night
You'll find out as sure as we live
That sometime, someway, somehow
Something's gotta give

Papa John
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
A horrifying question for the officiating committee came to mind while watching Love do his bull in a china shop routine:

You do realize, of course, that the Mythbusters debunked the whole "bull in a china shop" cliché?

Aside from that, the question you raise is a brilliant one... My guess is that the officials would spontaneously combust in the situations you describe...

yancem
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM

dukemsu

Good question! If they were to guard a significant portion of the game the refs will be placed in a difficult situation. My guess is the Hansolo would be given more leeway. UNC has an advantage though since they have both thompson and stephens who are big bodies that can guard Love. I'm not sure UCLA has anyone overy capable of guarding Hansolo other then Love. Also Love actually plays fairly aggressive defense so that might put him at a disadvantage.

Lavabe
03-02-2008, 09:28 PM
You do realize, of course, that the Mythbusters debunked the whole "bull in a china shop" cliché?

Aside from that, the question you raise is a brilliant one... My guess is that the officials would spontaneously combust in the situations you describe...

Here's a description of the episode in question:
http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.com/page/Bull+in+a+China+Shop

Classic Mythbusters!
Cheers,
Lavabe

ugadevil
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Ol' Roy would anticipate this problem and let Hans go nowhere near Love on the defensive end

What do you mean? Hans doesn't go near anyone on the defensive end.:D

dukemsu
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
What do you mean? Hans doesn't go near anyone on the defensive end.

Very well said.