PDA

View Full Version : Men's Lacrosse: #2 Duke Throttles #3 Maryland 15--7

blueprofessor
03-02-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1401988
Saturday win margin was best ever vs. the Terps.:D
Greer,Quinzani, and Ross have hat tricks.
Danowski has 2 goals.
Payton dominates face-offs(14/19).

Next match: Lehigh at Duke , Tuesday at 7 PM.

Congrats,Devils!:D

Best regards.:)

Mike Corey
03-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, Duke's going to be absurdly prolific on offense this year.

Congrats to the Devils on their first big win of this young season.

jjasper0729
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
didn't go to the game, but saw the highlights on sportscenterU. danowski's behind the back goal was ridiculous

Lavabe
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
It's LACROSSE SEASON!!! Great way to start it up! Let's go Duke!

Any news on the women's team?

Duke Blue Cheers,
Lavabe

FreezingDevil
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
This was a fantastic game to watch. Maryland have a very good lacrosse team, but Duke was just too fast and tough. The stadium was completely packed, which is always nice to see at Koskinen. Even some players on the men's basketball team were there to support the home team only hours after they won Coach K's 800th. I wonder if Singler, coming from Oregon, had ever seen lacrosse before. Considering that he likes physical sports, I imagine that he would give the game his stamp of approval.

ps. Congrats to the Women's Lacrosse team as well. They beat #5 Maryland earlier in the day in overtime!

dukegirlinsc
03-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I saw the score earlier, and if I'm not mistaken, a highlight from the game was on Sportscenter's top plays last night.

Congrats LAX boys! :D

SilkyJ
03-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah, Duke's going to be absurdly prolific on offense this year.

Congrats to the Devils on their first big win of this young season.

gotta love that extra year of eligibility :) dino and greer are sick nasty.

I saw the score earlier, and if I'm not mistaken, a highlight from the game was on Sportscenter's top plays last night.

indeed it was. search briefly for a link but could not find one. it was during SC's top 10 plays of the day and i believe it made the top 5, maybe even 3.

godukecom
03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Maryland...
"If you can read this, [md lacrosse coach] wont recruit you."

billybreen
03-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm curious -- what are our prospects this year? Is this the year we finally break through and take out Hopkins? I know they are #1, but did they have any key graduation losses?

DukieInKansas
03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Also, Brad Ross was named as a Lowe's Senior CLASS candidate. The 20 candidates will be narrowed to 10 and voting will start 3/20/08.

Congratulations, Brad.

Mike Corey
03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm curious -- what are our prospects this year? Is this the year we finally break through and take out Hopkins? I know they are #1, but did they have any key graduation losses?

No, Hopkins did not. Nine of its top ten scorers return.

We return an embarrassment of riches, as well. College lax will be dominated by Duke and Hopkins in '08, barring unexpected developments.

As such, on April 5th, Hopkins plays at Duke. Koskinen will be rockin'.

billybreen
03-02-2008, 04:07 PM

We return an embarrassment of riches, as well. College lax will be dominated by Duke and Hopkins in '08, barring unexpected developments.

As such, on April 5th, Hopkins plays at Duke. Koskinen will be rockin'.

Thanks for the info. It's always a strange context switch in late spring when suddenly Johns Hopkins and Cornell are major athletic rivals. I guess schools with notoriously low student morale (note: this is abject slander backed up by no research, treat it as such) need some sport they can call their own.

Mudge
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info. It's always a strange context switch in late spring when suddenly Johns Hopkins and Cornell are major athletic rivals. I guess schools with notoriously low student morale (note: this is abject slander backed up by no research, treat it as such) need some sport they can call their own.

As a Duke grad, I hate to acknowledge this criticism, but there are those at other ACC (and non-ACC schools) who would say the same about Duke-- we have basketball, but then the other 2 marquee sports, football and baseball, have been hopeless at Duke for a long time... so I wouldn't be so quick to ridicule Hopkins or Cornell (and I ain't counting women's sports, because those that mock Duke certainly aren't.)

roywhite
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Speaking of Cornell (and perhaps more appropriate to the Harvard basketball thread), I saw where the Big Red were the first team to clinch a berth in the NCAA tournament. They are 20-5, undefeated in the Ivy League, and currently on a 14-game winning streak, their last loss against Duke. I was impressed with them that game (we were rusty coming off a long break). Cornell has won convincingly in their conference, played fairly well against outside teams, and will not be an easy out in the tournament.

billybreen
03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
As a Duke grad, I hate to acknowledge this criticism, but there are those at other ACC (and non-ACC schools) who would say the same about Duke-- we have basketball, but then the other 2 marquee sports, football and baseball, have been hopeless at Duke for a long time... so I wouldn't be so quick to ridicule Hopkins or Cornell (and I ain't counting women's sports, because those that mock Duke certainly aren't.)

Hey, at least we have 1 marquee sport. That gives me free reign to talk trash about schools that have 0, as long as no one from Florida (for example) is in the room.

DukeFencer
03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Don't forget the most accomplished team at Duke - Women's Golf!

5 National Championships (and counting!) [all in the last 9 years!]
12 consecutive ACC Championships (and counting!) [1995-2007]

killerleft
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Anyone else notice that the game was on ESPNU? Figured it out while channel surfing, but not until toward the end of the 3rd period.

bdh21
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM

Jesse Schwartzman, the Hopkins goaltender who played so damn well against Duke in the two finals matches, graduated. I don't imagine there will be much of a drop off, as Hopkins usually has excellent defenders, but it'll be nice to finally see an inexperienced goalie for Hopkins.

godukerocks
03-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Jesse Schwartzman, the Hopkins goaltender who played so damn well against Duke in the two finals matches, graduated. I don't imagine there will be much of a drop off, as Hopkins usually has excellent defenders, but it'll be nice to finally see an inexperienced goalie for Hopkins.

I hope we can take advantage of their new goalie this year.

I cringe everytime I hear the word Schwartzman.

Is he in MLL now?

Mike Corey
03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

BDH, thank you for that crucial correction. That is a huge loss.

Here's hoping we welcome the Blue Jays' new goalie accordingly come April 5. :)

Tappan Zee Devil
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Anyone else notice that the game was on ESPNU? Figured it out while channel surfing, but not until toward the end of the 3rd period.

Does ESPNU really exist? I think it is a myth. :)

devil84
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Does ESPNU really exist? I think it is a myth. :)

ESPNU finally exists in the Triangle (channel 140 for most)! We've had it a couple of months.

And, the Duke-Maryland lacrosse game is being re-broadcast right now on ESPNU-- Monday, from 9:00-11:00 am. It looks like it's on again Tuesday morning at 4:00am.

blueprofessor
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Duke's men's lacrosse game against Lehigh has been moved to Wednesday, March 5, with the contest starting at 1 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium. The match was originally scheduled for Tuesday, March 4 at 7 p.m.:)
:) Best regards.

merry
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
The Chron has a nice article today on lacrosse shots

http://www.dukechronicle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=02a6014a-5090-41e5-b913-cbe9e31e72c0

Duvall
03-04-2008, 06:04 PM

College baseball isn't a marquee sport.

Mudge
03-04-2008, 08:43 PM
College baseball isn't a marquee sport.

Not at Duke, it ain't. There are only three marquee sports-- men's football, basketball, and baseball-- these sports have their championships and playoffs broadcast on major broadcast or cable networks (not ESPNU). They also draw larger crowds for their championships and regular seasons than the other sports.

Hockey draws a lot of people (at about 9 schools), but the hockey playoffs aren't on the regular ESPN channels 1 and 2, the way baseball's CWS and Regional playoffs are. (Hell, the NHL can barely keep a network TV contract.) Wrestling, swimming, lacrosse, and track do not draw well until the NCAA championships. Men's lacrosse, even at the best schools, draws a few thousand people, except for the NCAA championships. Nobody ever goes to see college golf (unless Tiger is playing for Stanford), tennis, or soccer-- even soccer's championship game had deserted stands this year. Not one of these sports is as widely televised on as widely available networks as college baseball is. And college baseball's CWS draws very large crowds in Omaha.