PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. NC State II

Jumbo
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
So, once agains Coach K went away from the small lineup ... until it counted. We didn't see Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler until the second half. But that group finished the game and finished it in style. K really mixed things up with different combos, but ultimately it was getting our best players on the floor together that made the difference. And, of course I'd be remiss if I didn't point out what a great game Scheyer played, with plus/minus serving as a terrific example. On to the numbers...

Individuals
Jon Scheyer 77-65 (+12)
Greg Paulus 71-61 (+10)
Gerald Henderson 70-65 (+5)
Lance Thomas 36-32 (+4)
Kyle Singler 60-60 (0)
Taylor King 26-27 (-1)
Brian Zoubek 14-17 (-3)
Dave McClure 6-10 (-4)
DeMarcus Nelson 59-68 (-9)
Nolan Smith 16-25 (-9)

Per 40 Minutes
Jon Scheyer +14.1
Greg Paulus +13.3
Lance Thomas +9.4
Gerald Henderson +6.7
Kyle Singler 0
Taylor King -3.3
DeMarcus Nelson -13.3
Brian Zoubek -15
Nolan Smith -36
Dave McClure -40

Lineups
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 14-4 (+10)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (x2) 24-19 (+5)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 7-5 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Zoubek (x2) 8-7 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-King 8-7 (+1)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Zoubek 4-3 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Thomas 3-2 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 0-0 (0)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Singler 3-4 (-1)
Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-4 (-2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-Singler 2-5 (-3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 2-5 (-3)
Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 6-10 (-4)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Singler 0-4 (-4)
Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek 2-7 (-5)

juise
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Someone in chat was adamant that K needed to get Nolan back in the game for Greg. I'm not dogging on Nolan by any means, but Greg was very solid today.

I also wonder what Markie's +/- was before the last 2:30 of the game. He saved us, but wasn't stellar before the final minutes.

Edit: I did some math... it was 49-65 with 2:37 left.

Kilby
03-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Someone in chat was adamant that K needed to get Nolan back in the game for Greg. I'm not dogging on Nolan by any means, but Greg was very solid today. I also wonder what Markie's +/- was before the last 2:30 of the game.

Maybe it was because of his defense. Not that Smith was doing much better but it was not by accident that Nelson was checking the guy bringing up the ball at the end. Thats also why Paulus got caught down low with bad matchups a few times. Thank heavens that Paulus is money with the three.

juise
03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Maybe it was because of his defense. Not that Smith was doing much better but it was not by accident that Nelson was checking the guy bringing up the ball at the end. Thats also why Paulus got caught down low with bad matchups a few times. Thank heavens that Paulus is money with the three.

Probably. Nolan was playing stickier on-ball D, but the cumulative effect of having Greg in the game was definitely an advantage for us.

MChambers
03-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm surprised Zoubek's plus/minus wasn't better. He really bothered NCSU inside a few times, but I guess the offensive struggles more than offset that.

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm wondering besides the fact that this thread was started by mod Jumbo, why was it not merged with the MBB Vs. NCSU thread? It is a good topic, deserves it's own points, and yet when we regulars post such threads they are added to the mix. Nothing against nothing, the mods do a fine job, but I feel it's a double standard.

Jumbo
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm wondering besides the fact that this thread was started by mod Jumbo, why was it not merged with the MBB Vs. NCSU thread? It is a good topic, deserves it's own points, and yet when we regulars post such threads they are added to the mix. Nothing against nothing, the mods do a fine job, but I feel it's a double standard.

We've been doing these threads after every game all season. I'm not really sure why you're choosing to make an issue out of it or why you think it's a double standard.

tbyers11
03-02-2008, 01:17 PM

The MOTM poll and the Charting (+/-) threads have been separate entities after every game this year.

I don't agree with all of the moderators' decisions on combining threads, but I think they overall they do a great job in a thankless position. You also mentioned this, but it seems a bit disingenuous because your post simply re-hashes a discussion that was brought up less than a week ago. Obviously, you are free to post whatever you want, but if you really feel strongly about this issue I would suggest sending a personal message to one of the moderators. You are more likely to get an expedient answer to your question.

Chitowndevil
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Jumbo- Haven't posted in these threads before, but read them frequently and find the +/- stats very interesting. Thanks for keeping them!

I'd be interested to see the +/- ratings for the last 8 minutes of "close" games, say when Duke was ahead by 6 points or less at any time during the last 8-12 minutes. Think of it like RISP stats for baseball. I'm particularly thinking of Nelson in the last game but suspect that Scheyer would also come out looking really good.

Jumbo
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Jumbo- Haven't posted in these threads before, but read them frequently and find the +/- stats very interesting. Thanks for keeping them!

I'd be interested to see the +/- ratings for the last 8 minutes of "close" games, say when Duke was ahead by 6 points or less at any time during the last 8-12 minutes. Think of it like RISP stats for baseball. I'm particularly thinking of Nelson in the last game but suspect that Scheyer would also come out looking really good.

Hmmm. I don't log the time of each score, so I'd need to go back and do a little cross-referencing with the game logs. But that could be done. If you pick the games, I'll compile the info. Cool?

Chitowndevil
03-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Cool. By perusal of the recaps, here are the games where we led by two possessions or less at some point with 8 minutes or less to go:

NCSU (3/1), Miami (2/20), Wake (2/17), Maryland (2/13), BC (2/9), UNC (2/6), Maryland (1/27), FSU (1/16), Pitt (12/20), Davidson (12/1), and Marquette (11/21).

There are some other games like Clemson that were close and we happened to pull away slightly before the 8 minute mark, but I'm all for keeping things simple. I'm also concerned the Pitt game might skew things a bit, but I guess you've gotta take the bad with the good.

Jumbo
03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Cool. By perusal of the recaps, here are the games where we led by two possessions or less at some point with 8 minutes or less to go:

NCSU (3/1), Miami (2/20), Wake (2/17), Maryland (2/13), BC (2/9), UNC (2/6), Maryland (1/27), FSU (1/16), Pitt (12/20), Davidson (12/1), and Marquette (11/21).

There are some other games like Clemson that were close and we happened to pull away slightly before the 8 minute mark, but I'm all for keeping things simple. I'm also concerned the Pitt game might skew things a bit, but I guess you've gotta take the bad with the good.

OK. And we're using the last eight minutes (plus overtime) as our benchmark, right?

Richard Berg
03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe it was because of his defense.
K will often put in Nolan for an defense/offensive substitution, but I'm not surprised he abstained today. Nolan's defense simply wasn't very good. Gonzales blew by him a couple times (including that one really painful highlight where nobody rotated to help). Nolan also had that silly foul in the backcourt. Greg's D wasn't perfect -- he too got beat a few times, and I think he left guys on the weak side wing too far open -- but was more consistent.

All that said, Nolan's brief return in the 2nd half was much improved. He shows a lot a promise on D.

As someone else said, the real difference maker was D-Marc being able to take over on Gonzales toward the end.

Chitowndevil
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM
OK. And we're using the last eight minutes (plus overtime) as our benchmark, right?

Yep.

Really I was tempted to go back and isolate periods in the second half (or late in the 1st) when Duke "pulled away", but was afraid that would end up too subjective. Actually if you want to post the data, I might take my own cut at it work schedule permitting.

Ignatius07
03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
As someone else said, the real difference maker was D-Marc being able to take over on Gonzales toward the end.

I recall - in the brief moments when I thought to look for it - that Henderson continued his recent trend of strong defense. Anybody else see this?

With so many solid to good individual defenders, it's really baffling what has happened in the past few games.

mgtr
03-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I think it is fascinating that not only did Scheyer lead the individual +/-, he was also on every lineup combo that had a positive rating. This tells me that he does a lot of things which don't show up on the stat sheet.