PDA

View Full Version : Question on Scoring

Saratoga2
03-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been looking at advantages and disadvantages teams get in games and have to admit I am unsure about how shots where fouls occur are scored.

1. In the case of of a shot taken and made, the player gets credit for the shot and gets one foul shot. The shot becomes part of the player's line for shooting percentage.

2. In the case of a 2 or 3 point shot taken and missed, does the player have that shot count against his shooting percentage, even though he gets 2 or 3 foul shots?

jjasper0729
03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
according to the rule book. if a player is fouled in the act of shooting (no matter it being a 2 or a 3), it is only considered an attempt if the basket is counted by the official. so if a player makes a basket and is fouled and the official counts it, (i believe DMarc had one that the official didn't count today because the foul occurred before the shot attempt), then it counts as a field goal make and a field goal attempt.

if a player takes a shot and is fouled and the shot is missed, it does not count as an attempt with a miss.

Saratoga2
03-01-2008, 07:14 PM
according to the rule book. if a player is fouled in the act of shooting (no matter it being a 2 or a 3), it is only considered an attempt if the basket is counted by the official. so if a player makes a basket and is fouled and the official counts it, (i believe DMarc had one that the official didn't count today because the foul occurred before the shot attempt), then it counts as a field goal make and a field goal attempt.

if a player takes a shot and is fouled and the shot is missed, it does not count as an attempt with a miss.

That makes sense, but I wasn't certain.

jjasper0729
03-01-2008, 07:36 PM
this coming from a duke statistician ;). hope that clarifies it for you