PDA

View Full Version : We have a lot of very loyal students.

Devilsfan
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Duke University's biggest home game takes place a day after the start of arguably the most important time in the life of an undergraduate, SPRING BREAK. Many have posponed the stat of their much needed and well deserved vacation until Sunday. Hats off to these true fans. Nice planning Duke.

jjasper0729
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't say it's Duke as much as the ACC and the schedule makers. It must be a freak calendar year that the UNC game is a week deep into march. I'm not sure it's been this deep before. Could be wrong though.

Bluedog
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't say it's Duke as much as the ACC and the schedule makers. It must be a freak calendar year that the UNC game is a week deep into march. I'm not sure it's been this deep before. Could be wrong though.

If I recall correctly, I remember this also being the case 4 years ago (not the last time the Duke v. UNC game at Cameron was the last game of the season, but the time before that (2004)). So, it must not be all that uncommon. It's just that the last game rotates between Cameron and Dean Dome, so it probably happens ~50% of the time when it's in Cameron, so 25% of the years. But I could be wrong.

wilson
02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
If I recall correctly, I remember this also being the case 4 years ago (not the last time the Duke v. UNC game at Cameron was the last game of the season, but the time before that (2004)). So, it must not be all that uncommon. It's just that the last game rotates between Cameron and Dean Dome, so it probably happens ~50% of the time when it's in Cameron, so 25% of the years. But I could be wrong.

I was at Duke in 2004. The unc home game definitely didn't fall during spring break then.
This year's calendar sure is weird...the ACC final on the 16th? National final April 7? The St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week thing is causing some havoc, too.

Devil07
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I was at Duke in 2004. The unc home game definitely didn't fall during spring break then.
This year's calendar sure is weird...the ACC final on the 16th? National final April 7? The St. Patrick's Day during Holy Week thing is causing some havoc, too.

I beg to differ. I was at that game and it was definitely the first Saturday of spring break. That being said, it really wasn't that huge of a deal and in many ways made it more fun. Since no one had any work to care about, Friday night was a great time.

hurleyfor3
02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Usually spring break starts on ACC Tournament weekend. (That was in fact what I did for break every year. That's the time of year it starts to turn consistently nice in NC, so who needs Florida?)

Also, as alluded to previously, Easter falls on the second or third-earliest possible day. Throw in that daylight saving time starts next week too, which still seems weird. And finally, today is February 29! Who knew time could be so aberrational?

Bluedog
02-29-2008, 11:22 AM

You are incorrect and I did recall it correctly, apparently.

See http://www.registrar.duke.edu/registrar/studentpages/student/acacad2004.html (spring break started March 5) and http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/schedule.php?season=2003-04 (game was on March 6).

I agree that it wasn't that big of a deal, and I kind of enjoyed it since nobody had to worry about work. Staying one extra day isn't the biggest sacrifice.

juise
02-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I believe that spring break got pulled in a week relative to the NCAA tournament in 2003. So in 2002, the ACC tournament coincided with the beginning of spring break. In 2003, it coincided with the end of spring break... and freshman J.J. torching State in second half.

So in recent history, 2004 (my senior year) was the first year we had to stay behind to see the Carolina game. How could we not for the seniors' last game?

Edit: Sorry to repeat... I started my post and got distracted by work.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
It must be a freak calendar year that the UNC game is a week deep into march. I'm not sure it's been this deep before. Could be wrong though.

I was thinking the same thing. And it seems that the ACC Tourney is a week deeper into March as well.

dukegirlinsc
02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I couldn't think of a better way to kick off my spring break! :cool:

mbd1mbd1
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
In 1997, Duke played Providence in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament on the first Saturday (Sunday, maybe?) of Spring Break. I remember being in a car trying to listen to a fading AM radio broadcast of the game, and not knowing that we had lost until we got to our destination.

So yeah, the scheduling is way off from what it used to be.

MulletMan
02-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I think this happens every once in a while. For example the one Duke-UNC game that I went to @ the Dome with Throaty (2003??) was on UNC's first weekend of spring break and thus made it reasonably easy for use to scalp tickets.

That was the game in which one Mr. Buckner had a little run in with D'Oh!

Good times.

The schedule has been shuffled this year and is longer than in previous seasons. There are some threads on it from earlier in the year... use the Search function on the tool bar at the top of your DBR screen to check it out.

juise
02-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Good times.

It was also the game when Dahntay's buzzer beater from half court was waived off, thus breaking a six game win streak over UNC. :( I remember watching that with a bunch of Dukies at Panama City Beach.

MulletMan
02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
It was also the game when Dahntay's buzzer beater from half court was waived off, thus breaking a six game win streak over UNC. :( I remember watching that with a bunch of Dukies at Panama City Beach.

So true. The walk back to the car sucked.

IIRC, the shot wasn't even close to being off in time.

juise
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
IIRC, the shot wasn't even close to being off in time.

I think you're right. My use of buzzer beater was a misnomer.

BlueintheFace
02-29-2008, 11:49 AM
We haven't beaten Carolina in Cameron since JJ Redick read Carolina's final play and the holes didn't get off a final shot for the win. That was a good one, but I think it is about time for another W. The crazies should be in even greater form this year since they will have all day Saturday to prepare without a care in the world!!

wilson
02-29-2008, 11:49 AM
I beg to differ. I was at that game and it was definitely the first Saturday of spring break. That being said, it really wasn't that huge of a deal and in many ways made it more fun. Since no one had any work to care about, Friday night was a great time.

You are incorrect and I did recall it correctly, apparently.

See http://www.registrar.duke.edu/registrar/studentpages/student/acacad2004.html (spring break started March 5) and http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/schedule.php?season=2003-04 (game was on March 6).

I agree that it wasn't that big of a deal, and I kind of enjoyed it since nobody had to worry about work. Staying one extra day isn't the biggest sacrifice.

Wow...I must have been drunker than I thought. I recall the trip I was on, but I can't for the life of me remember where we watched the game. Yikes.:o

Gooch
02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing. And it seems that the ACC Tourney is a week deeper into March as well.

In 1994 I remember the NCAA tournament being during Spring Break and it was the same week as St. Patrick's Day.

I remember it clearly because we rented a house in Amelia Island, FL that summer and it SNOWED on the beach. Needless to say we watched a lot of hoops and drank a lot of green beer.

Gooch T'94

DukeFencer
02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I remember the 2004 game. Tons of students did stick around (I think about 100 tents and what seemed like a ton of people from the walk-up line) even though it was the first Saturday of spring break. Only problem was, come 5 o'clock Friday evening, almost every dining place on campus closed for spring break. Pauly Dogs was open, though, and came out to K-ville and probably made a FORTUNE with the at first captive, hungry audience, and later the captive drunk audience. It was definitely nice to have time after the game to recover from tenting instead of getting thrown right back into the grind.

throatybeard
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I think this happens every once in a while. For example the one Duke-UNC game that I went to @ the Dome with Throaty (2003??) was on UNC's first weekend of spring break and thus made it reasonably easy for use to scalp tickets.

Yeah, that was 2003. Had to go over there with my UNC friend's brother's friends, but at least the let us drink half their keg. If only Dahntay had had about 0.5 longer!

77devil
02-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Good times.

The schedule has been shuffled this year and is longer than in previous seasons. There are some threads on it from earlier in the year... use the Search function on the tool bar at the top of your DBR screen to check it out.

The schedule was extended one week in the 1999-2000 season and has been the same since. The NCAA tournamnent has finished on the first Monday in April instead of the last Monday in March over the same period.

Curious as to which was the cause and the effect? In other words, did the NCAA move the tournament and the schedules of the major conferences followed or did the majors conferences want an extra week in the season, perhaps as more added conference tournaments to generate revenue, and the NCAA agreed and moved the tournament. The latter seems most plausible.

Interestingly, the 1998-1999 season before the change appears to be the last one that Duke played its ACC opener in December, although I did not verify this systematically.

ugadevil
02-29-2008, 03:31 PM
If only Dahntay had had about 0.5 longer!

If that shot had gone in, would we have won? I can't remember if it was for the tie or win.

juise
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
If that shot had gone in, would we have won? I can't remember if it was for the tie or win.

The tie. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNC-Duke_rivalry#March_9.2C_2003:_UNC_82.2C_Duke_79)

DukePA
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
The schedule was extended one week in the 1999-2000 season and has been the same since. The NCAA tournamnent has finished on the first Monday in April instead of the last Monday in March over the same period.

Curious as to which was the cause and the effect? In other words, did the NCAA move the tournament and the schedules of the major conferences followed or did the majors conferences want an extra week in the season, perhaps as more added conference tournaments to generate revenue, and the NCAA agreed and moved the tournament. The latter seems most plausible.

Interestingly, the 1998-1999 season before the change appears to be the last one that Duke played its ACC opener in December, although I did not verify this systematically.

If I'm not mistaken, the awesome Dock Beats the Clock shot was against VT in December '05.

juise
02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the awesome Dock Beats the Clock shot was against VT in December '05.

12/4/05 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=253380150). You got it, dude. (Full House reference.)