PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Wade book

ScottDuke04
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

Not sure if this is appropriate--moderators please feel free to remove this post if not.

I just wanted to mention that the book about Wallace Wade by Lewis Bowling mentioned above was published by Carolina Academic Press, located just a few scenic blocks off Duke campus (and home to not a few former Dukies!).

I believe the author has set up a table to sell the books at some past home football games, but if anyone is interested, I've set up a 10% internet discount and free shipping for the book ($22.50 plus tax if you're in NC). You can just go to Wallace Wade book page (http://www.cap-press.com/books/1626) and use the coupon code "DBR08" at the order form to get free shipping. Any problems/questions feel free to email/PM me. If anyone is interested in any of the other Duke-related books (including one by Willing King--Duke archivist mentioned a couple of posts ago), feel free to email or PM me.

Olympic Fan
02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd like to chip in and recommend Bowling's book. If you are a Duke fan, it's a nice reminder of how good Duke used to be in football -- there was a 10-year period (I think 1933-42) when Duke won more games than than any other team in college football.

Bowling's book is split -- half traces Wade's career at Alabama, the other half follows him to Duke.

It's fun to get the details on that era.

Atldukie79
02-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Bowling's book is a good read! I grew up hearing about the great Wallace Wade from my Dad. When I worked at the Duke Library as a student in the 70's, I used to sneak down in the stacks and read the old Durham Morning Heralds about the team's exploits.

It is somewhat astonishing to me that a sports figure of Wade's caliber never had a book written about him until now. I mean, this guy was on the cover of Time Magazine. He was a giant of his era.

Anyway...read the book!

Indoor66
02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Wade and his wife retired to his beloved farm in Bahama, NC. He used to come into town for different events. I remember him being honored by the Durham Sports Club in the early 70's. He lived well into his 80's and died about 1985 or 1986.