PDA

View Full Version : Nice Doyel????

BD80
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Has a doppelganger taken over his column?

Cats and dogs living together?

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10674223

In an article about Billy Gillespie providing evidence that coaches can be nice human beings, Doyel writes:

For years Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has saved the best seat at Cameron Indoor Stadium for a Duke fan with Down Syndrome, putting the man behind his own chair on the bench. I don't know the man's name or his connection to Krzyzewski. Neither Coach K nor the school wants to talk about it. It's not about publicity.

This, after writing that Coach K deserved consideration for coach of the year!

Is is trying to be a real columnist?

Has he decided the tide of anti-Duke has become so strong that he can be a contrarian by saying nice things about Duke?

Man, just when you think you have someone figured out ...

Ignatius07
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
For what it's worth, Doyel was on the local sports talk radio station here in DC (980 AM) the morning after the Miami loss and recanted his support of K for coach of the year. He said he wrote the column the day of the Wake game, edited it after the loss saying it's the exception that proves the rule, but then regretted it after we lost our second in a row.

alteran
02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
For what it's worth, Doyel was on the local sports talk radio station here in DC (980 AM) the morning after the Miami loss and recanted his support of K for coach of the year. He said he wrote the column the day of the Wake game, edited it after the loss saying it's the exception that proves the rule, but then regretted it after we lost our second in a row.
Wait...maybe it's a PLOT!!!! When he says nice things about us, we lose... when he decides were bad again, we're good!

We'll call it... the Doyel Exclusionary Principle. It's kind of like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, except with basketballs instead of quarks.

Bring on bad Doyel!

DoubleDuke Dad
02-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Wait...maybe it's a PLOT!!!! When he says nice things about us, we lose... when he decides were bad again, we're good!

We'll call it... the Doyel Exclusionary Principle. It's kind of like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, except with basketballs instead of quarks.

Bring on bad Doyel!
Actually that would be the Pauli exclusionary principle. Now back to basketball.

alteran
02-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Actually that would be the Pauli exclusionary principle. Now back to basketball.

Pauley only apply to events at UCLA, no? :D

No, you're right, Pauli Exclusionary Principle is more analogous than Heisenberg. At least I didn't bring up any dual-state cats.

vango
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
As for the gentleman behind the bench - I've often wondered who he was and his connection to whomever as well. Great for him I say - must be a neat place to sit.

I actually wonder about a lot of people behind the bench. Not talking about the manager, Nate, K's family (son-in-law), or Matthew Lawrence. Seems that aside from the occasional recruit, visiting former player (whom I recognize), and some parents whom I've come to recognize as well (Mr. Paulus, Mr. and Mrs. Scheyer, Mr. Henderson, the Singlers once as I recall, and Dave's folks as well). I've seen a couple females back there numerous times and some other folks more than once.

As for the bench, who is the guy sitting closest to the scorer's table who seems to be charting the goings-on during the game. I assume he is a permanent member there as he seems to have been there forever. I oftentimes see him whispering something to K - I'm guessing it is timeouts or fouls. I also recall that there is a person on or near the bench who handles all scholastic/tutoring issues....maybe I'm wrong about that.

If anyone can shed light on these I'd be appreciative. Just have always wondered and never thought to ask on this board....

DukeFencer
02-29-2008, 10:53 AM
What a great story about Gillespie, and about the many different coaches in general. Nice to hear this stuff. Duke does a great job in general of getting ALL of its teams involved in community service, and there are some pretty cool things going on team by team.

BD80
02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
No, you're right, Pauli Exclusionary Principle is more analogous than Heisenberg. At least I didn't bring up any dual-state cats.

I knew Pauli Shore had been banned, definitely a good thing, but why the Hindenburg no fly zone?

rtnorthrup
02-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Doyel is a contrarian who makes his living trying to stir up as much controversy as possible. Now that the wave of Duke backlash has hit critical mass, he finds that supporting Duke will will generate more interest than continuing his anti-Duke stance.

Any journalist whose regular MO is to write a column flauting his own hate mail is a buffoon and should not be taken seriously.