PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Slump

TwoDukeTattoos
02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Duke shoots 47.2% on the year but has slipped to 43.8% in its last four outings. Poor shooting combined with no true center is a bad formula. Personally, I am a little surprised that we are in this four-game slump simply because we have so many guys on this team that can shoot well from anywhere on the court. So my feeling is that we will recover from this slump rather quickly. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

AtlDuke72
02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Duke shoots 47.2% on the year but has slipped to 43.8% in its last four outings. Poor shooting combined with no true center is a bad formula. Personally, I am a little surprised that we are in this four-game slump simply because we have so many guys on this team that can shoot well from anywhere on the court. So my feeling is that we will recover from this slump rather quickly. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Part of it is that the other teams have figured out the offense and the defensive players stay home more than they did earlier in the season. The team adjusted in the second half last night and only shot 4 3s in the second half.

wilko
02-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Or did Markie lose a 1/2 step somewhere along the way this yr.?

I think his driving ability opened things up. I guess teams have learned to adjust. Thats where G and Kyle have to be effective. and Jon too.

I think when Greg has his shot going we find a different gear that opens things up...

KyDevilinIL
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
There's no apparent reason why this team would be getting tired, hitting a wall or anything else. We're in pretty good shape health-wise for this point in the season. So I've got to assume this is a random, momentary lapse. We were pretty good defensively against Tech, so that's promising. I think the shots will come back. It only takes a few to get things started. I sense an offensive explosion in the offing - although, I fully expected it to happen against Tech and was disappointed - and then we'll see if it sparks a rejuvenated attack to close the season.

Our offense has to be sharp to go deep in March. Scrapping and grinding as we did against Tech has its place, but the fact is that we've got to find a way to find our rhythm again. Greg, Kyle and perhaps even TK are the guys whose regained stroke might have the greatest influence on the rest of the team.

SMO
02-28-2008, 05:56 PM

3.4 percentage points is not that huge a dip over 4 games. Keep in mind that two of them were away games. Anyone know if it's statistically significant?

blueprofessor
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
3.4 percentage points is not that huge a dip over 4 games. Keep in mind that two of them were away games. Anyone know if it's statistically significant?

1664 shots in 27 games= 61.6 shots a game x 3.4% = 2.09 shots
Best regards.:)

blueprofessor
02-28-2008, 07:57 PM

644 3-point attempts/1664 total shots= 38.7% of shots attempted are 3-pointers.
Then, 61.3% of shots attempted are 2-pointers.
2.09 shots = 3.4% of total shots per game.
2.09x38.7%x 3 plus 2.09x61.3%x2=total points represented by 3.4% of made shots.
So 2.42 points (3-point baskets) + 2.56 points(2-point baskets)=4.98 points.
Thus, on average, Duke loses 4.98 points for every 3.4% of missed shots per game.
Best regards.:)