PDA

View Full Version : We have had negative announcers before

rthomas
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
but JFC who are these people!! I've never, not Packer not nobody, heard this bad.

devildownunder
03-15-2007, 09:12 PM
what are you talking about?

evrdukie
03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
It's bad, but I don't believe the announcers are the problem.

cbarry
03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
but JFC who are these people!! I've never, not Packer not nobody, heard this bad.
Agreed. Very Anti-Duke announcers here.

nycbluedevil
03-15-2007, 09:15 PM
No, this is as bad as I've heard - these guys are deliberately trying to get the crowd excited about Duke losing. Like Billy Packer, emphasizing any Duke mistakes and neglecting great plays.

devildownunder
03-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Guys, the color man is Bob Wenzel -- an assistant coach at duke from 75 to 80. Quit looking everywhere for enemies. We have plenty of real ones. We don't need to imagine any.

evrdukie
03-15-2007, 09:30 PM
The announcers have nothing to do with the score.

Exiled_Devil
03-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

True, we did do many bad things, but the announcers were slurping VCU the entier game, and pointing to Duke weaknesses as often as possible.

I was actually wishing for Packer during the game.

Exiled

mapei
03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
>Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

Do you disagree? We were either tired, or a step slower than VCU all game for some other reason.

drion97
03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
The announcers, in my opinion, were clearly pulling for VCU-- but not in a anti-Duke way. VCU is a story, they're fun, they're fast, they press.

It's always telling when the score is tied near the end of the game and everything is glowing about one team.

It was annoying to hear them pulling for VCU and getting excited at their steals and three's, but they would've done the same to any mid major against a Duke caliber team. They did give Paulus lots of credit, which I appreciate....

devildownunder
03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

True, we did do many bad things, but the announcers were slurping VCU the entier game, and pointing to Duke weaknesses as often as possible.

I was actually wishing for Packer during the game.

Exiled

We were tired 10 minutes into the game, largely because we almost never face full-court pressure. The announcer was right. And as far as "slurping" VCU goes, I thought they talked plenty about Paulus and how well he performed and how big an advantage duke had and mcroberts' play in the first half. What were they supposed to do, go interview laettner about '92 while vcu was making a run?

Again, way too sensitive.

Exiled_Devil
03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
>Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

Do you disagree? We were either tired, or a step slower than VCU all game for some other reason.

I do disagree. Being tired 10 minutes into a game after having a weeks rest is not a very logical assessment. I say that Moyner was quicker than Greg (a theme to our losses this year) and they play at a faster pace than we played this year.

My wife actually thought Greg looked sick, but I have no information about that.

Exiled

mapei
03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
>I do disagree. Being tired 10 minutes into a game after having a weeks rest is not a very logical assessment.

I think the announcer was commenting on apparent fact, not logic. And it's hard to fault him for that. We sure looked the part of a tired team, whether we were or not. And I certainly agree we had no excuise to be.

Exiled_Devil
03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
They did balance the comments about Paulus and Josh, whenever they did something good. However, they celebrated Maynor whenever he was in the game. Granted, he is good.

I don't buy the 'tired' assessment 10 minutes in. Here's an alternative assessment: we aren't accustomed to facing full-court defense, and we have been historically sloppy with the ball all season.

In the end, I don't consider the announcers a grave injustice. They were just an annoyance. The game itself was a great game with the ending not what I wanted. I really enjoyed the game iteslf (until the last 2 minutes) but hte announcers were a thorn the whole time.

Exiled

mapei
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Don't you mean Maynard, not Moyner?

drion97
03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
One thing that really was weird about this game was that the announcers seemed totally uninterested and unaware of foul trouble in the game. I hardly remember it being talked about. Several times when our guys and their guys got 4th fouls they mentioned it, but just kept going. To me, Marky going on with 10 minutes left because of fouls would usually warrent a little more talk.

Of a similar note (ie, missing guys), what happened to Gerald's hand? Looks like he cut it on something on the table. Bad break-- he was a nice athlete to have in, and he was out for quite a while.

cbarry
03-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Don't you mean Maynard, not Moyner?
LOL. It's "Maynor"

mapei
03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Oops. Thanks for the correction!

tbyers11
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't think we were "tired", but a little bit slower. Wenzel was correct in his assessment, but his beating it to death like a dead horse was very annoying. When Duke played well and went on runs he never mentioned that VCU looked tired. I also thought the announcers were favoring VCU a bit, but more from "upset" angle than the anti-Duke angle.

dukewray
03-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Why no Zoubek? Is he hurt, is he sick? I mean for christ's sake, the kid is 7 foot tall.....maybe he can't jump over a rock in a driveway, but he's 7 foot? Does anyone think he might have helped keep the VCU players from driving and just putting floaters up? I mean, it's not hard when you're 6'3" and you're shooting over a 6'1" Paulus.

4everTerping
03-15-2007, 10:52 PM
This was the first close game CBS had all day long. They ran a graphic saying that every other game was decided by 10 points or more. I think they were just over-hyping VCU so ratings didn't get even worse. They wanted people to know a story was actually developing there, when there had not been one all day. Ratings ploy, it wouldn't have mattered if it were Duke or any other name program at that point.

devildownunder
03-15-2007, 10:55 PM
This was the first close game CBS had all day long. They ran a graphic saying that every other game was decided by 10 points or more. I think they were just over-hyping VCU so ratings didn't get even worse. They wanted people to know a story was actually developing there, when there had not been one all day. Ratings ploy, it wouldn't have mattered if it were Duke or any other name program at that point.

Interesting theory, possibly true. I know that ever since the instant the game ended announcer Kevin Harlan has been refering to it as "The Biggest Upset of the Day," as if most of America -- duke fans excluded -- didn't pick it in their brackets.

Exiled_Devil
03-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Even if it was anticipated, it is still, technically, an upset.

I do think that they were excited for the story of the cinderalla - I will look for the announcers to start the next round game with a slipper in hand.

Exiled
I almost didn't write the slipper comment - last I saw Weber st was tied up. and hten Pitt went on a 20-something run.

TampaDuke
03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
The worst part of this loss, for me, was the fact that 11 of 14 "experts" on ESPN.com and CNNSi.com picked VCU over Duke. Clearly just a "trendy" pick, but the fact that they'll be hyping their accuracy for the next few days is sickening (especially since we had the game won).

koolaidRAM
03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
I just don't see how they were so Pro-VCU....I thought it was the other way around. And the commentator at the end....speechless.

rasputin
03-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Are always excited about an upset.