PDA

View Full Version : Blue Devil Mascot Injury

DukeDevilDeb
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
This may have appeared elsewhere, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know what happened to the first-half Blue Devil last night? The Devil apparently hurt a leg/ankle/foot at the end of the surfing and had to be helped off by two security people... it looked bad.

Couldn't see from my seat, however, exactly what happened or, more importantly, if the Devil is OK. I certainly hope so.:)

Go Devils!

CMS2478
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the first-half Blue Devil last night? The Devil apparently hurt a leg/ankle/foot at the end of the surfing and had to be helped off by two security people... it looked bad.

Couldn't see from my seat, however, exactly what happened or, more importantly, if the Devil is OK. I certainly hope so.:)

Go Devils!

It appeared he "wiped out" and landed wrong on his knee, but the UNC fans are saying that nobobdy truly knows since we don't publish our injuries. ;)

DukieInKansas
02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
The sideline announcer last night indicated that it was a sprained knee.

I hope The Blue Devil heals quickly!

pamtar
02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Who makes up the funny quotes on his headband? Him or someone else?

pratt '04
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
There's a video of the injury on 850 the blog (http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/)

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
It's surprising that there aren't more such injuries among college mascots.

When the Blue Devil was assisted to the area alongside the band, I was looking to see if Dr. Tee Moorman was nearby as he often is. ... Dr. Moorman heads the Sports Medicine Clinic; his specialties include shoulders and knees. Whatever treatment may be needed, the Duke Sports Medicine Clinic is among the best in the country.

UncleBill
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
The headband writing was really kicked off in earnest in the late 80's (1986-88 time period) when a buddy of mine who goes by the name of Jeff was the Blue Devil. He was from Chicago, and a huge Bears fan. Da Bears had a quarterback who went by the name of Jim McMahon who liked to wear white headbands with messages on them (and they made a really really bad 'rap' video, the Superbowl Shuffle) after he was told not to wear the one he liked, which had an Adidas logo, since Adidas was not a sponsor, or some such nonsense.

Jeff wrote his own messages on the headband.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
It appeared he "wiped out" and landed wrong on his knee, but the UNC fans are saying that nobobdy truly knows since we don't publish our injuries. ;)

That's actually pretty funny.

Hope the kid's okay.

Mike Corey
02-28-2008, 02:45 PM
The sideline announcer last night indicated that it was a sprained knee.

I hope The Blue Devil heals quickly!

While I join you in wishing the individual in particular well, he/she fortunately has a few fellow mascots so the cheering duties won't fall entirely to the cheerleaders during the healing process.

dukegirlinsc
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Has anyone here ever "rented" the devil?

pamtar
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
The headband writing was really kicked off in earnest in the late 80's (1986-88 time period) when a buddy of mine who goes by the name of Jeff was the Blue Devil. He was from Chicago, and a huge Bears fan. Da Bears had a quarterback who went by the name of Jim McMahon who liked to wear white headbands with messages on them (and they made a really really bad 'rap' video, the Superbowl Shuffle) after he was told not to wear the one he liked, which had an Adidas logo, since Adidas was not a sponsor, or some such nonsense.

Jeff wrote his own messages on the headband.

Thanks! Thats a great piece of trivia!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Go Devils!

It was jersey #2 Blue Devil who went down with the knee injury. After half time, #50 subbed for him/her.

I wish the injured Devil the best and a speedy recovery, but whoever is #50 is definitely the "first string" Devil. He is a far superior surfer, dancer, performer to the other one.

Indoor66
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Let's not get dirty....:D

Indoor66
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
It was jersey #2 Blue Devil who went down with the knee injury. After half time, #50 subbed for him/her.

I wish the injured Devil the best and a speedy recovery, but whoever is #50 is definitely the "first string" Devil. He is a far superior surfer, dancer, performer to the other one.

Ozzie or others, in years past, hasn't the Devil been a woman at times?

dukegirlinsc
02-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Let's not get dirty....:D

Haha I thought that myself, but I didn't know how else to word it. Heck, that's what it says on the website! ;-)

DukeDevilDeb
02-28-2008, 05:06 PM

I have had several Devils in my classes over the years, some of whom have been women... you would have to be pretty big to carry that head, though.

#50 is the first half Devil; #2 is the second half Devil. I agree that the first half Devil is more creative and limber than the other.

That said, GTH,C

OZ
02-29-2008, 01:43 AM
I have had several Devils in my classes over the years, some of whom have been women... you would have to be pretty big to carry that head, though.

#50 is the first half Devil; #2 is the second half Devil. I agree that the first half Devil is more creative and limber than the other.

That said, GTH,C

You know, I have been going to games for years and have never noticed there were two Devils or their particular numbers. Instead, I have been looking at the cheerleaders. What's wrong with me?

Freethrw33
02-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Who makes up the funny quotes on his headband? Him or someone else?

I believe the devil makes the quotes. I know this because my roomate tried out for the spot a few years ago, and as part of the tryout, he had to come up with some potential taglines for other ACC teams.

Overall, he said the hardest part of the tryouts was balancing the devil's head while dancing so that it didn't fall off.

Uncle Drew
02-29-2008, 06:07 AM

Rent? Hell I was married to her for five years!!:D

OZZIE4DUKE
02-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Rent? Hell I was married to her for five years!!:D

So, in a way, you did rent her. Well, five years is more of a lease than a rental period.

OldPhiKap
02-29-2008, 08:53 AM

"Dean Sue" was the Devil for at least a year in the late '80's. She was Dean of student life (or something like that). IIRC, there was a minor flare-up that year because something she had on her headband was deemed offensive by someone. I'm a little fuzzy on the details at this point.

ChrisP
02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Could someone re-title this thread to "Blue Devil MASCOT Injury"? I almost barfed when I saw the thread this morning on the list. I just finished reading the Zoubek article linked on the front page and so when I saw the title of this, I was like, "oh no, not AGAIN".

Seriously, I hope the MASCOT is going to be ok and it's nothing more serious than a sprain.

Atldukie79
02-29-2008, 10:52 PM
The mascot's headband messages are written on white tape which are removed after the game and are taped to the wall of an obscure storage room under Card gym where the band also stores instruments. It is quite bizarre to see hundreds of messages covering the walls. OOps...maybe this was supposed to be secret! It might make for an interesting Chronicle article though. Could be an interesting trivia game to match the phrases with the games!

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2008, 12:22 AM
I would LOVE to see a photo of that wall...

Lavabe
03-01-2008, 08:34 AM

As Roy would say, "Dadgumit!"

DevilWolf
03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
"you would have to be pretty big to carry that head, though."

Can't believe it took this long for someone to say "that's what she said"

BlueDster
03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
The kid who was injured is a freshman who is in my fraternity. He tore his ACL and is on crutches right now. He's actually pretty depressed that he can't jump around and be a Crazie or a mascot for the game next week.

DukePA
03-01-2008, 11:02 AM
The kid who was injured is a freshman who is in my fraternity. He tore his ACL and is on crutches right now. He's actually pretty depressed that he can't jump around and be a Crazie or a mascot for the game next week.

Please let him know that we're wishing him a speedy recovery.

GO DUKE!!!

PumpkinFunk
03-01-2008, 02:43 PM

He's in my dorm, and I'm echoing this. He's even more pissed that ESPN said his name on air, as are most of us on campus. ESPN are a bunch of douchebags for saying the name of any mascot (to be honest - the school telling ESPN makes me wonder what they were thinking, too, but ESPN was just idiotic)

weezie
03-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Oh, poor kid! I hope he at least gets a good seat for the 'holes game. That's a shame...

Mike Corey
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
The mascot's headband messages are written on white tape which are removed after the game and are taped to the wall of an obscure storage room under Card gym where the band also stores instruments. It is quite bizarre to see hundreds of messages covering the walls. OOps...maybe this was supposed to be secret! It might make for an interesting Chronicle article though. Could be an interesting trivia game to match the phrases with the games!

It truly is a sight to behold.

I still recall one late night in K'Ville, wandering into Cameron and stumbling upon that treasure trove of devilish quips.

The best one, of course, was simple: "Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell."

johnb
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
He's even more pissed that ESPN said his name on air, as are most of us on campus.

uhm. What's the concern? Is being the Devil shameful? Do people believe the Blue Devil to be a real person? I thought it was a nice touch to mention that the kid had a name.

dukegirlinsc
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
He's in my dorm, and I'm echoing this. He's even more pissed that ESPN said his name on air, as are most of us on campus. ESPN are a bunch of douchebags for saying the name of any mascot (to be honest - the school telling ESPN makes me wonder what they were thinking, too, but ESPN was just idiotic)

Are you being serious...?

TillyGalore
03-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Sending best wishes to the Blue Devil, whoever he is, that he has a speedy recovery.

P.S. Tell him I used the picture I had taken with him for my Christmas card, and it went over really well. The card was delivered to State, Karowhina, and BC fans. heh heh heh

UncleBill
03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Are you being serious...?At least in my day, the real identity of the Blue Devil was kept a loosely guarded secret, kinda like Bruce Wayne, or Clark Kent, which is why I only used Jeff's first name in my earlier post. I did not hear the name mentioned, I watch time delay on TiVo and skip the inane commentary when the ball is dead.