PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. Georgia Tech pre-game & in-game thread

Bob Green
02-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Duke takes on Georgia Tech Wednesday at 9 pm (Thursday 11 am Japan Standard Time). Place your comments here.

We enter the game a 15.5 point favorite.

SMO
02-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Duke takes on Georgia Tech Wednesday at 9 pm (Thursday 11 am Japan Standard Time). Place your comments here.

I think we'll cover the spread. First half might be clost but look for us to wear them out in the 2nd half. GT has talent, but they're not a road team.

Fish80
02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
We have to bring our A game. GT always plays us rough and tough. They have several big bodies that are likely to crank it up a notch.

We can win big if we're on our game.

brumby041
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
GT has talent, but they're not a road team.
Actually - GT is better on the road in ACC play: 1-4 at home, 3-3 away.

I hope we see the same energy from our guys as last game - for the team's confidence sake, we need a BIG win.

SMO
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
[/I]

I hope we see the same energy from our guys as last game - for the team's confidence sake, we need a BIG win.

That's a surprise...last year I thought they were a terrible road team so perhaps that colored my perceptions. Maybe this year is still a function of who they've played on the road. Either way, this should be Duke's game if they play like Duke.

KyDevilinIL
02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech won't be easy, but tonight's pretty much the last chance to start building a head of steam heading into UNC2 and the ACCT. Can't put too much stock in the SJU game. At State and at UVa I fear serious difficulties if we're still sluggish. Now's the time to start stepping on teams from the outset. That hasn't been this team's M.O. so far, but it's never too late to start.

mlk
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
We need a solid game tonight to start getting some momentum and a good conference win would go along way for the confidence of this young team

Madrasdukie
02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
This maybe old news on the board but I wasn't sure. Anyways, it turns out Georgia Tech's steely point guard, Matt Causey is the brother of former Duke walk-on Mark Causey http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/18-928274.cfm?.

pfrduke
02-27-2008, 02:57 PM
[/I]

That's a surprise...last year I thought they were a terrible road team so perhaps that colored my perceptions. Maybe this year is still a function of who they've played on the road. Either way, this should be Duke's game if they play like Duke.

They have been the victim of 4 close home losses - by 1 to UNC, by 2 to Maryland, by 1 to Miami, and by 2 to FSU. They're actually +5 in points scored at home. On the road, they're -9, despite the 3-3 record. So they've played roughly even at home and on the road (maybe slightly better at home), although at home has probably been against better competition on the whole.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM

Quite simply, for this game to be deemed as legit, I think we have to win by at least 20. 25 would be better. Just my feeling.

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
we need to keep zoubs playing well... he is a big key for us down the stretch

TwoDukeTattoos
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
we need to keep zoubs playing well... he is a big key for us down the stretch

I agree. He doesn't fit in with our "small and fast" team, but he gives us a different and valuable look when we need to rest our smaller guys, or when we need some post presence down low. As a matter of fact, I am more interested in seeing how he performs tonight as opposed to anyone else.

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
ya me too... he had a great game against st. johns, so it would be great for us if we can keep him going for the rest of the season and into the acct and ncaat!

Lotus000
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
That's IT, I've head enough of Len Elmore's biased BS. "It was just....it was just a push-off, nothing more, he was playing the ball!" That's regarding the blowing up of Kyle just now.

Time for 'mute' and some music. Maybe Benny Benassi.

_Gary
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh LORD, Len Elmore, S-f-T-UUUUUU

Geeeez Louise.....

Len Elmore is killing me with his call on the clearout. The guy committed two intentional fouls on one play, yet Elmore downplays it. Ugh.

And now, to top it off, he's not really even giving Henderson any props for two great dunks in a row. Total jerk.

Gary

Truth
02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd like to welcome ya'll to the Gerald Henderson show!

Ka-Boom!! :cool:

Karl Beem
02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
G's wrist seems ok.;)

91devil
02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
No three-pointers yet. Need to get that one out of the way so we can keep our ridiculously long streak going.

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
some of the worst announcing i have ever heard... utterly ridiculous!

91devil
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Okay, I spoke a little too soon. First possession after I post, we nail one.

Thank you, Kyle.

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
1st three 17 minutes into the game... unbelievable

runanhide21
02-27-2008, 09:52 PM

how can you NOT love mike patrick??? he's the BEST on the air for sports period along with jim gray, joe buck, jonny miller and joe morgan...

Regardless, I LOVE the way duke is playing but I feel like it's just spurts that GA Tech keeps bouncing back from...they need to close the door on them and bury them like they did every team before the losing streak...

runanhide21
02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
ugly end to the half for the blue devils....1-11 from 3??? where has the shooting gone??? disappeared since the UNC game...TOTALLY...very very scary

ArtVandelay
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM

You clearly don't watch much college basketball. Or sports.

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
02-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Terrible outing by not only the team but also the crazies. Both look stale and flat. I hope they can pick it up in the second half. (One bright side is the D)

Duvall
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Terrible outing by not only the team but also the crazies. Both look stale and flat. I hope they can pick it up in the second half. (One bright side is the D)

You think the team looks flat? They're just missing open shots. It happens.

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 10:02 PM
i'll take being up 6 at half shooting 1-13 from 3-point land and 34% from the field... the shots will fall in the second half

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
You think the team looks flat? They're just missing open shots. It happens.

True. Ill agree that ill take the lead with the way we played but if we played that first half against an upper deck team we wouldnt be leading. Heres to a better second half!!

Let's Go Duke!

91devil
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
i'll take being up 6 at half shooting 1-13 from 3-point land and 34% from the field... the shots will fall in the second half

I concur...crowd looks and sounds flat.

Lotus000
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
There is NO FREAKING WAY that Causey should be playing right now. He shouldn't be on the sideline, he should be in Duke Hospital being checked out. Did you guys see his eyes fluttering? My good grief, he HAS to have a concussion... Hewitt needs to sit him down and say that in no uncertain terms will he play... We're talking about the kid's health.

runanhide21
02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
i'll tell you what...Gerald is FARRR from flat tonight...most emotion i have seen from him in his career...kid can flat out fly

-bdbd
02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
We finally seem to be getting in a groove, and playing with some intensity. I think GT miss their "high-energy" guy. On TV, he looks a little dizzy still.

Defense should feed Offense now. Would really like to see us hit some threes.....

Does TN fall past Duke in rankings if we win?

BDBD

Lotus000
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
That poor kid had to steady himself AGAIN during free throws! Why the hell doesn't somebody in the production booth show the tape to the trainer where the kid has to stop and hold his eyes tightly shut to keep from from moving around...GEEEZ.

I am LIVID about this sort of thing (concussions) because I just don't think people take them seriously enough.

If this were your kid, would you want him on the floor right now, not having been checked out for some time by a doctor, then probably flying home to Atlanta with a head injury?

wilson
02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Does TN fall past Duke in rankings if we win?

BDBD

Absolutely not, unless they lose again on Saturday. Even then, probably not. Losing at Vandy is not a bad loss at all, the game was competitive throughout, and we have not looked our best the last two weeks (St. John's notwithstanding).

ajtrublu
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
There is NO FREAKING WAY that Causey should be playing right now. He shouldn't be on the sideline, he should be in Duke Hospital being checked out. Did you guys see his eyes fluttering? My good grief, he HAS to have a concussion... Hewitt needs to sit him down and say that in no uncertain terms will he play... We're talking about the kid's health.

Got to agree with you. Tough is one thing, stupid is another.

slower
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Seriously, how many times do people have to PUSH him into the correct spot?

_Gary
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
If there's one person on this board that thinks Len Elmore is NOT majorly biased against Duke after listening to this game, I'd like to sell you some property down here in Florida.

Gary

Lotus000
02-27-2008, 10:57 PM
If there's one person on this board that thinks Len Elmore is NOT majorly biased against Duke after listening to this game, I'd like to sell you some property down here in Florida.

Gary

I'll finance it at 1%. Not even 1% above prime, just 1%!!

Lotus000
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
My GOOD GRIEF.

Rule 4-28.c...BOTH FEET have to be in the front-court for him to be IN the frontcourt.

AND LEN ELMORE IS A HARVARD-LAW-SCHOOL EDUCATED person! My J.D. is 'just' from Wash. U. in StL. Ve-Ri-Tas THAT, sucka.

Coballs
02-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Listening to these two idiots is like nails on the blackboard. I would take Patrick with Vitale over tonights pairing.

Lotus000
02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Listening to these two idiots is like nails on the blackboard. I would take Patrick with Vitale over tonights pairing.

I would take Vitale^2 over tonight's pairing.

But to be honest, I really think Mike Patrick thinks Len Elmore is an idiot, but is too much of a nice guy to subtlely point that out via comments.