PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic Desk Chairs

Channing
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Do they really work? What is the best kind to get?

I want to get my dad one for father's day as his back has been giving him some issues lately. Any suggestions?

DukeUsul
02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
My whole company has Aeron chairs by Herman Miller. They are excellent. When I have to go work at a client site and get government-issue prisoner-made chairs.... wow, big difference.

billybreen
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
My whole company has Aeron chairs by Herman Miller. They are excellent. When I have to go work at a client site and get government-issue prisoner-made chairs.... wow, big difference.

Same with my company, but they don't do much for me. I guess I'm not a chair enthusiast (surprising since I spend my life seated) as I'm just as happy with a beat-up old kitchen chair pulled up to my desk at home.

DevilAlumna
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
They can make a big difference, depending on the ailment!

You want one that adjust in just about every way -- seat forward and back from the upright portion, tilt control of the seat, (front edge higher/lower than backend), seat raises up and down; back raises up/down for lumbar support, adjust the stiffness of how far/easily the back tips; adjustable arm rests -- in/out/up/down/forward/backward, on a per-arm-rest basis.

I'll see if I can get a namebrand for you.

allenmurray
02-26-2008, 09:55 PM
The place I used to work hired an ergonomic consultant. He told us that in fact different chairs can make a diffrenence depending on one's weight, height, bdoy type, etc. But the best advice he gave was to get up out of the chair as often as possible. I have two desk chairs now. Neither one is fancy, but I switch back and forth (I doubt either cost more than $80 at Staples). That keeps me from getting too set into one posture. I've found it works great for me. As soon as I start to feel uncomfortable, I switch to the other chair and it feels great.