PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. NCSU pre-game & in-game thread

Karl Beem
02-26-2008, 07:35 PM
is on CBS not FSN.

MarkD83
02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
we wil only get to see 10 minutes of the game in Va.

camcraz25
02-26-2008, 11:52 PM
oh no!! I didn't get to see last Saturday's game on CBS because of regional SEC coverage. I'm in Auburn, AL. Ugh, I REALLY hope I don't get regioned out of this weekend's game too!! :(

DU82
02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
oh no!! I didn't get to see last Saturday's game on CBS because of regional SEC coverage. I'm in Auburn, AL. Ugh, I REALLY hope I don't get regioned out of this weekend's game too!! :(

CBS's web site says it's a national game, which I take as meaning there are no other games they are carrying at that time. (They don't list any other game on their schedule for noon. The G'town-Marquette game following is also national, while the third game in the triple-header is listed as regional.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/story/10431620

Bob Green
02-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Game time is 2 am Sunday morning in Japan. That is an early reveille, but I'll be up and cheering on our Blue Devils!

Bob Green
02-28-2008, 04:20 AM
NCSU is in complete freefall. Today's home loss to FSU was their sixth straight loss. Duke needs to continue to build momentum as the regular season is down to the last three games. Solid play on the road against State and Virginia is a must as we attempt to sew up a # 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. We are at the point in the season where we cannot afford to look past an opponent - especially on the road in conference play.

jjasper0729
02-28-2008, 07:22 AM
the game on cbs is national and it's a noon eastern start. there shouldn't be anything before it and nothing they can switch to if it gets out of hand (unlike, say a 3 or 4 pm eastern start).

it would be helpful to see duke start out hot in this game and not take their foot off the hammer. bury them early and keep piling the dirt on until the game is over

mgtr
02-29-2008, 06:59 AM
it would be helpful to see duke start out hot in this game and not take their foot off the hammer. bury them early and keep piling the dirt on until the game is over

I agree, but that doesn't seem to happen much in recent times. Either we start slow and play catch up, or, if do we build up a lead we give most of it back at some point. Obviously, we almost always win, but seldom by the picture you paint.

whereinthehellami
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I looked up the last 4 games thinking that the numbers would show that Duke wasn't shooting it particulary well from 3 while their opponents were. That didn't turn out to be the case. While not on fire they weren't as cold as I thought.

Over the last 4 games Duke is shooting 33% (35-105) from 3 while their opponents are shooting 38% (20-52).

Over the last 4 games Duke is shooting 66% (70-106) FT while their opponents are shooting 67% (66-99) FT.

Granted those numbers are usually in Duke's favor and the fact that they are not is in itself an indicator that they haven't been playing to their full potential.

Note that Duke shot twice as many 3's as the opponents and shot more FTs. That is a testament to something, I just know it is.

365Duke
02-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm just more concerned with the fact that State is one of those teams, for whatever reason, tends to play their game of the year against us.

They are in a free fall right now, without a doubt though. I kind of hate it for them in a way. I was really hoping that Sid would take off. He is doing a lot better than my initial choice for that job, though ***cough***Kelvin Sampson:eek: ***cough*** Boy am I glad I was wrong about that one:rolleyes:

Go Duke, kick them while their down!:D

Matches
02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I expect the Wuffies to come out guns-a-blazin, after being called out by their coach after the last loss. Their season is obviously lost, but they can still salvage positive momentum for next year by beating us. And frankly, this is pretty much their last chance to take anything positive away from this season.

It will take a strong effort tomorrow for us to win. We have to do a better job of defending on the interior than in the game in Cameron. We CANNOT afford another first-half lapse, because that will fire up the crowd. Go Duke!

TwoDukeTattoos
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Game time is 2 am Sunday morning in Japan. That is an early reveille, but I'll be up and cheering on our Blue Devils!

Reminds me of my earlier Navy days. I was in Spain in 1994 during the Final Four and I remember putting in a wakeup call to get up @ 3am so that I could watch the game!

Classof06
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
This game makes me a bit uneasy. Not as much as the Wake game but a similar feel. 2 of Duke's 3 losses have come against teams that, at the time, didn't have much to lose. Like Matches, I expect the Pack to come out with everything they have. Duke's obviously the better team but we're also better than Miami and Wake (and a healthy Pitt, IMO). Despite being all but out of bubble considerations, a win against Duke would make their offseason much more tolerable.

I'd like to see Duke attack this game the way they did when they went to Raleigh last year. Last year's NC State game was Duke's best 40-minute performance of the year, IMO.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-29-2008, 03:20 PM
This game makes me a bit uneasy. Not as much as the Wake game but a similar feel. 2 of Duke's 3 losses have come against teams that, at the time, didn't have much to lose. Like Matches, I expect the Pack to come out with everything they have. Duke's obviously the better team but we're also better than Miami and Wake (and a healthy Pitt, IMO). Despite being all but out of bubble considerations, a win against Duke would make their offseason much more tolerable.

I'd like to see Duke attack this game the way they did when they went to Raleigh last year. Last year's NC State game was Duke's best 40-minute performance of the year, IMO.

A duke win by 18 would be solid.

Bob Green
02-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Singler and Thomas need to avoid foul trouble. In the first meeting Thomas fouled out and Singler had four fouls. Therefore, it would be nice for Zoubek to give us some solid minutes against State's big frontline and alter some shots, grab some rebounds, and score a couple of baskets. However, the key point for Duke will be defense, turning State over and converting those turnovers into points.

bluedev_92
02-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi Sticker Girl,

Just received your email update on the stickers. Glad it has been successful. I always get some good looks when people see it on my car. Good luck with your last year of school!

Billy Dat
02-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I was very fired up for the first Maryland game as I felt it was our first real chance to exorcise the goblins of 2006/7. The second half of that game keyed our transcendent run through the first half of the ACC schedule and prompted a meteoric rise up the rankings (that and $2 will get you on the subway). Like the rest of us, I took the Wake and Miami losses pretty hard, but then thought back to last year and reminded myself how far this team has come.

To me, these next two games, more then the one that follows them, represent the next step of growth for this squad as they attempt to put last year behind their fans and critics (I don't day 'behind them' because I assume they are all about 'next play'). Since State and UVA's seasons have been a bust, beating us helps make their year. We are playing on the road, our opponents have nothing to lose. We must crush them.

This team owes it to itself to face the Heels next Saturday with a chance to win the conference outright. They have come too far for anything less.

In saying so, here's hoping for a return of:
-The 3 point shooting all around but especially Paulus
-Markie getting to the rim off his drive
-Nolan Smith staying aggressive on offense
-Taylor Kings long range bombs
-Brian Zoubek 10 minutes of PT

And here's hoping for the continuation of:
-Lance's steady play
-The steadiness of the frontcourt by committee
-Singler's blood sweat and tears
-G's effort against Tech
-Scheyer's gym rat on steroids (figurative) all around contributions
-Solid team D
-Slip screens for lay-ups
-Passing lane steals ending in lay-ups and dunks
-70%+ foul shooting

Indoor66
02-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I was very fired up for the first Maryland game as I felt it was our first real chance to exorcise the goblins of 2006/7. The second half of that game keyed our transcendent run through the first half of the ACC schedule and prompted a meteoric rise up the rankings (that and $2 will get you on the subway). Like the rest of us, I took the Wake and Miami losses pretty hard, but then thought back to last year and reminded myself how far this team has come.

To me, these next two games, more then the one that follows them, represent the next step of growth for this squad as they attempt to put last year behind their fans and critics (I don't day 'behind them' because I assume they are all about 'next play'). Since State and UVA's seasons have been a bust, beating us helps make their year. We are playing on the road, our opponents have nothing to lose. We must crush them.

This team owes it to itself to face the Heels next Saturday with a chance to win the conference outright. They have come too far for anything less.

In saying so, here's hoping for a return of:
-The 3 point shooting all around but especially Paulus
-Markie getting to the rim off his drive
-Nolan Smith staying aggressive on offense
-Taylor Kings long range bombs
-Brian Zoubek 10 minutes of PT

And here's hoping for the continuation of:
-Lance's steady play
-The steadiness of the frontcourt by committee
-Singler's blood sweat and tears
-G's effort against Tech
-Scheyer's gym rat on steroids (figurative) all around contributions
-Solid team D
-Slip screens for lay-ups
-Passing lane steals ending in lay-ups and dunks
-70%+ foul shooting

I could only add a banana split for desert! :D

_Gary
03-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Please don't tell me we are going to have to endure another physical, chippy game. The elbow to Paulus was intentional and should have been called as such. A lot of physical play thus far and we aren't even to the first timeout.

Gary

TwoDukeTattoos
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Ugly game so far. Shooting slump continues. Turnovers terrible.

_Gary
03-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Ugly game so far. Shooting slump continues. Turnovers terrible.

Absolutely true, but this type of very physical game doesn't help the shooting percentages because so many of the shots are accompanied by contact.

Gary

_Gary
03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Duke guys all over the floor play after play after play. Very physical game! The guys are going to need major ice baths after this one. Geesh. Plus, we are on pace for a 50+ foul game, maybe 60+.

Gary

_Gary
03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Thankfully, the refs are backing off the whistles. After calling about 15 fouls in the first 9+ minutes of the game they've really limited the calls. But Duke is still on the floor a lot. Continues to be a physical game.

BlueintheFace
03-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Please Drop!!! We Cant Buy A Basket!

runanhide21
03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
State is shooting 62% and Duke is shooting 33% but 55% from 3 and we are only down 3...no way state keeps shooting that well in the 2nd half and no way we keep shooting this bad...one bright spot, impressive FT throw shooting by duke...

godukerocks
03-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Taylor looked good.

Saratoga2
03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
State is shooting 62% and Duke is shooting 33% but 55% from 3 and we are only down 3...no way state keeps shooting that well in the 2nd half and no way we keep shooting this bad...one bright spot, impressive FT throw shooting by duke...

The defense wasn't up to snuff in the first half. I thought Zoubek made a difference against their big guy McCauley. Scheyer, Henderson, Nelson and Paulus played very well and Singler was good though up against it against the bigs. Smith made some defensive mistakes and our small lineup is not effective rebounding against their bigs.

Our guys missed all of their chippies around the basket. We make those in the second half and we win. Scheyer played great ball in the first half and kept the game close.

delfrio
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Turnovers aren't bad actually. We have 5? Maybe 6? The problem is lack of passing and poor defense. And I guess you could argue the fact that we aren't getting enough open floor turnovers on State (something we thrive on).

_Gary
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Too much dribble penetration being allowed here as we start the second half. We've got to stay in front of the man with the ball.

Gary

_Gary
03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
So I guess NCSU isn't going to cool off. We can't buy a basket and they are just shooting lights out. I thought for sure they wouldn't be able to keep it up in the second half, but so far they have. We aren't going to win if they continue to shoot like this. It just won't happen. Shades of the Miami game at this point.

duke211
03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
ncstate has lost what six in a row

_Gary
03-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow. I just don't know what to think at this point. There's plenty of time to come back and win the game, but if we don't I believe you have to assume one of two things. Either we are just hitting some perfect storms where the other team just so happens to be "hot" and there's nothing you could have done about it - OR - you have to be very, very concerned about this team's defensive lapses and their diminishing outside shots. If it's #1 then you just suck it up and move on. If it's #2 then we are in serious trouble heading into the ACC tourney and the NCAA tournament.

Gary

_Gary
03-01-2008, 01:43 PM
NC State is having multiple guys going Bootsy on us! Good gosh!

grossbus
03-01-2008, 01:47 PM
"no way state keeps shooting that well in the 2nd half"

i think they are shooting better. at least they missed a foul shot.

we gots no D and very little O.

loran16
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Lance?!!! God.

loran16
03-01-2008, 01:56 PM
These refs are terrible. Their player catches a ball off balance and its a foul on us.

_Gary
03-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Disappointed in several of Jon's decisions today. A couple of major forced shots and bad passes too. I know he's going to give us far more positives than negatives, but I expect smarter play from him.

loran16
03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Why Paulus. Argth.

jsimmons
03-01-2008, 01:59 PM
that we are out again in the sweet sixteen....you heard it here first unfortunately.

Jumbo
03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Disappointed in several of Jon's decisions today. A couple of major forced shots and bad passes too. I know he's going to give us far more positives than negatives, but I expect smarter play from him.

Really? He made a bad read on a pass a few possessions ago for a turnover. But otherwise, he has spread the ball around for a ton of open shots, some of which have gone in and others which haven't. And I think he has missed three shots so far, so I don't know which ones have been forced. I think he has played more aggressively than in a while and has made excellent decisions with the ball. Duke's problems have come on defense -- we've run our offense beautifully. We've missed some open shots, but that's life.

_Gary
03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
that we are out again in the sweet sixteen....you heard it here first unfortunately.

If we lose this game I think that's a very realistic assumption. Unless we somehow rebound and win out the rest of the way (including the ACC tourney). That would indicate a rebound and possible deep run in the NCAA's. But more than likely we are looking at under-performing again in the tourney and going out earlier than expected.

Gary

devil84
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Moderators are watching. Please think before you post. Several posts have been deleted due to profanity and destructively negative comments.

Feel free to post comments on the less than stellar attributes of play in this game. But refrain from poor language and attacks on players.

loran16
03-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Dumb foul singler. So obvious, right in front of the ref. And if you do knock the ball out....it goes out of bounds back to state.

Terrible.

EDIT: Amusing note, before that clutch 3, Demarc literally took 3 steps without dribbling to get behind the line. Forget my comments about the refs.

_Gary
03-01-2008, 02:08 PM
So many shots today that should have gone down and didn't. A few continuations that should have given us chances at 3 point plays but we didn't get those calls. So many shots for NCSU that I didn't think would go in and they somehow fell through the bucket. Perfect storm, I say. Perfect storm. And yet we are still in this thing with 2 minutes to go and may be able to pull it off.

I think this game is huge for Duke. If we win we are fine. If not, we are in serious trouble as far as I'm concerned.

Gary

Jumbo
03-01-2008, 02:10 PM
So many shots today that should have gone down and didn't. A few continuations that should have given us chances at 3 point plays but we didn't get those calls. So many shots for NCSU that I didn't think would go in and they somehow fell through the bucket. Perfect storm, I say. Perfect storm. And yet we are still in this thing with 2 minutes to go and may be able to pull it off.

I think this game is huge for Duke. If we win we are fine. If not, we are in serious trouble as far as I'm concerned.

Gary

You just said this was a perfect storm. Given that, how does a close win make everything "fine," yet a close loss indicate "serious trouble?" You're talking about a few points either way, which won't change the larger areas that would indicate whether a team is "fine" or "in serious trouble," right?

loran16
03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Singler needs to stop with the stupid fouls.

My god. First the reach-in. Now an unecessary hold. He's a bit immature.

_Gary
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Really? He made a bad read on a pass a few possessions ago for a turnover. But otherwise, he has spread the ball around for a ton of open shots, some of which have gone in and others which haven't. And I think he has missed three shots so far, so I don't know which ones have been forced.

I think if you go back and rewatch the game you will see that he forced at least 2 bad, bad shots up. I mean real forces when he could have passed out to teammates. I'm just used to seeing him not make any bad decisions, but I think he's made a few uncharacteristic ones today. Nothing horrible, mind you. I'm just used to him not making any. Yes, he's made some great plays too. I'm not taking that away from him. He's far more of an asset than a liability. No doubt. But I'm just used to seeing him take good shots, and only good shots, every time he decides to shoot.

_Gary
03-01-2008, 02:15 PM
You just said this was a perfect storm. Given that, how does a close win make everything "fine," yet a close loss indicate "serious trouble?" You're talking about a few points either way, which won't change the larger areas that would indicate whether a team is "fine" or "in serious trouble," right?

Confidence, my friend. Confidence. If Duke pulls it out then they will know they can win these type of "perfect storm" games. If they lose, it's the 3rd time in 2 weeks when they lost to a team they almost assuredly should have beaten.

Gary

_Gary
03-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Whew! We needed that one bad!

grossbus
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
that was truly amazing. i watched it and am not sure how it happened.