PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Shane: Yao injured

Highlander
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Yao Ming (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080226/sp_nm/nba_rockets_yao_dc_1;_ylt=AoWww2aVmKVpLfbCjz_4YfcE 1vAI) out for the season...

Guessing this ends the Rockets chances of winning the NBA championship this year, but stranger things have happened when a critical big man goes down late in the season.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Yao Ming (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080226/sp_nm/nba_rockets_yao_dc_1;_ylt=AoWww2aVmKVpLfbCjz_4YfcE 1vAI) out for the season...

Guessing this ends the Rockets chances of winning the NBA championship this year, but stranger things have happened when a critical big man goes down late in the season.

#$%*$!!

Not only as a Rockets fan, but as someone who has Yao on my fantasy league team (and turned down a trade for Gilbert while he was hurt), I'm pissed off...

Jfrosh
02-26-2008, 04:14 PM

It's Over!

Biscuit King
02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
That really stinks. On the other hand, this is good news for Boozer and Grant Hill, either of whom would look mighty nice with a championship ring. Will be interesting to see how Houston finishes now.

Oriole Way
02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
That really stinks. On the other hand, this is good news for Boozer and Grant Hill, either of whom would look mighty nice with a championship ring. Will be interesting to see how Houston finishes now.

It's not news at all for Carlos or Grant... Houston had no chance of winning the championship, even with Yao they might not have even made the playoffs.

The only good news they can get is if both Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant go down with season-ending injuries.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
It's not news at all for Carlos or Grant... Houston had no chance of winning the championship, even with Yao they might not have even made the playoffs.

The only good news they can get is if both Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant go down with season-ending injuries.

With Yao, Houston had won 12 in a row, and possibly the hottest team in the West.

What I'd like for the Rockets to do is what the Spurs did with Duncan - just tank the season so they can draft Michael Beasley

wisteria
02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
The news came as such a shock. I feel so sorry for the Rockets. They were red hot and rolling.

The Chinese forum (in US) is having an absolute meltdown.
Wait till the mainland fans wake up in a couple ours and find out...

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
WHEW!!!

I thought something had happened to Shane.

Good luck to Yao though. I hate that for the Rockets, I was pulling for 'em.

weezie
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I wish my Pistons had a Blue Devil playing for them. Then my sports life would be just about perfect.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I wish my Pistons had a Blue Devil playing for them. Then my sports life would be just about perfect.

Ouch, that's gotta be the worst nba home team to pull for as a Duke fan. Between Rasheed and Rip Hamilton... at least you guys don't have Larry Brown any more.

bdh21
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Ouch, that's gotta be the worst nba home team to pull for as a Duke fan. Between Rasheed and Rip Hamilton... at least you guys don't have Larry Brown any more.

What about my Wiz!?

Haywood, Jamison, Arenas, Songaila, and Roger Mason Jr. who upset Duke in '01 and '02 at Virginia.

Going back further we had Steve Blake and Juan Dixon. We also had both Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace. Throw in Jerry Stackhouse for good measure. For the Fab 5 connection we had Chris Webber and Juwan Howard. And then there was that Tar Heel that un-retired...

The only consolation was watching Christian Laettner average 8 ppg over 4 seasons at the tail end of his underrated career.

Being a Duke and Wizards fan has not always been easy!

MChambers
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Wizards did have Alarie for a while, too, but it's been painful to watch them overall, as a Duke fan.

jipops
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Bad news for Shane? How about bad news for Yao. Shane still gets to play.

SilkyJ
02-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Gonna hafta agree. Basically the same team as last year, and they didn't make a major move at the trade deadline like everyone else, so I'd definitely say they weren't a threat.

On the other hand, Shane's offensive #'s should increase, which will be nice for us to watch at least as he has, in a very typical Shane way, reduced his role offensively for the team, and we all know he's a very capable scorer (he is and has been one of the better 3 pt shooters in the league the last couple years...)

BobbyFan
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Agree that Houston wasn't a title contender anyway. The West is ridiculously loaded right now, with the Lakers and Spurs the teams to beat.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 10:27 PM
On the other hand, Shane's offensive #'s should increase, which will be nice for us to watch at least as he has, in a very typical Shane way, reduced his role offensively for the team, and we all know he's a very capable scorer (he is and has been one of the better 3 pt shooters in the league the last couple years...)

Doubt it. Shane's role will remain the same on offnese - spot up 3 pointers here and there, occasionally drive. The Rockets won't run any offense through him just because Yao is out.

Speaking of Washington, the Rockets sans Yao is beating them 80-56. I agree with the two posters that I'd much rather have the Pistons roster as my home team than one with Brendan Haywood.

Troublemaker
02-26-2008, 10:56 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Rockets-080226

(Not really an insider article)

Hollinger has an informative article about why Houston should still make the playoffs. There's just not that much season left and their schedule is easy. They'll go small and play well down the stretch, and I agree with the others that said Houston didn't have much of a chance with Yao anyway, despite their current winning streak.