PDA

View Full Version : Gene Banks

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 03:29 PM
What happened to him post-Duke? A buddy asked me this the other day and I didn't have a clue. As good as he was, I don't recall him in the NBA. Also, his name doesn't come up much as much as it seems it should when talking about Duke.

Just curious.

-EJ

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Banks went on to play six seasons in the NBA with the Spurs and Bulls from 81-87. He averaged 11.3 ppg and 5.8 rebounds. He then played overseas in Italy and Israel. I agree that he is often forgotten in the list of Duke greats despite averaging 16.8 ppg and 7.9 rpg over his Duke career. He was also ACC ROY.

devil84
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Tink was drafted by the San Antonio Spurs, where he played for four years, then spent two years with the Chicago Bulls until he injured his Achilles tendon.

After that, he had coached semipro teams overseas as well as two college women's teams -- Division II Bluefield State and D-III Bennett College. He's also founded the Gene Banks League for helping at-risk children learn through basketball camps.

JasonEvans
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Does it take longer to post a thread and get an answer or type the following words into Google "Gene Banks Wiki"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Banks

--Jason "folks, it does the soul good to do a tiny bit of research before posting whatever random thought enters your head" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Does it take longer to post a thread and get an answer or type the following words into Google "Gene Banks Wiki"?

--Jason "folks, it does the soul good to do a tiny bit of research before posting whatever random thought enters your head" Evans

Others here might be interested in finding this info out, too. Sans sarcasm.

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Yes. The reason for the post was to initiate a conversation between those in the know regarding Gene Banks.

Jesus. You can also get a recap of a Duke game on SportsCenter without starting a post-game thread here, but the conversation that comes out of it makes posting worth while.

Excuse me while I go whip the shinkle out of myself with a wet noodle. :)

-EarlDammed

P.S. Wikipedia can burn in HELL!

BD80
02-26-2008, 04:32 PM

Well, if they are seeking to avoid sarcasm, this might not be the best place to hang

yancem
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM

I don't know, I think am in the same camp as Jason. I saw the Gene Banks titled thread and was thinking there must be some interesting new concerning him. Oh, well.

jimsumner
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.greensborosports.com/2008/01/10/gene-banks-closes-down-holden-road-branch/

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, if they are seeking to avoid sarcasm, this might not be the best place to hang

True, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the initial post. People ask such questions on this board all the time, and I, EarlJam, love the informed responses - some of which you can find on Wikipoodia and some of which you can't (like personal stories of when posters met the players and such).

Not sure what the reason was for the hand slap, but seeing as Jason is a moderator, and a "thumbs up" guy at that, I respect the virtual thump.

Just not sure what to really do with it (never post questions you can find out the answer to on the Internet????)

-EJ

Faison1
02-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Isn't wikipedia known for distorting facts?

Karl Beem
02-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I recall Gene with the Bulls. He played the 4.

JasonEvans
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
True, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the initial post. People ask such questions on this board all the time, and I, EarlJam, love the informed responses - some of which you can find on Wikipoodia and some of which you can't (like personal stories of when posters met the players and such).

Not sure what the reason was for the hand slap, but seeing as Jason is a moderator, and a "thumbs up" guy at that, I respect the virtual thump.

Just not sure what to really do with it (never post questions you can find out the answer to on the Internet????)

-EJ

Yes, people ask questions like this on the board all the time and most of the time I see them and think, "well, that sure was lazy. It would take less time to hit google and find the answer on your own." I mean, honestly, how different is this from asking, "What happened to Marty Pocious? Why isn't he playing at all this season?"

Now, if you wanted to start a thread asking folks for memories of Gene and updates on what he was doing lately, that would be something different. I know the difference in that and what you asked seems subtle, but I think there is a difference.

My reply may have come off as overly harsh. I am sorry for that. It was not intended to be so.

I am a bit busy right now and don't have time for a longer answer but I hope folks get my point in posting this. It is actually something all of ya'll will be reading a lot more about in coming days... how is that for a tease?

--Jason "change is a coming!" Evans

JasonEvans
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Isn't wikipedia known for distorting facts?

No more so than random people on the bulletin board. I actually find wiki to be quite good. Impiortant stuff should be verified by other means, but for simple questions about simple topics, Wiki is excellent.

--Jason "distorting implies intentional deception, which Wiki is not know for in my opinion" Evans

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, people ask questions like this on the board all the time and most of the time I see them and think, "well, that sure was lazy. It would take less time to hit google and find the answer on your own." I mean, honestly, how different is this from asking, "What happened to Marty Pocious? Why isn't he playing at all this season?"

Now, if you wanted to start a thread asking folks for memories of Gene and updates on what he was doing lately, that would be something different. I know the difference in that and what you asked seems subtle, but I think there is a difference.

My reply may have come off as overly harsh. I am sorry for that. It was not intended to be so.

I am a bit busy right now and don't have time for a longer answer but I hope folks get my point in posting this. It is actually something all of ya'll will be reading a lot more about in coming days... how is that for a tease?

I loved watching Gene play. Not only was he a good player, he was a good showman as well. Dare we hope that he might be returning to Duke?

DukieInKansas
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for bringing up Gene Banks. It brought a smile to my face - he sure did look good in overalls sans shirt. The man had some great arms and shoulders. I like watching him play, also. :)

slower
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for bringing up Gene Banks. It brought a smile to my face - he sure did look good in overalls sans shirt. The man had some great arms and shoulders. I like watching him play, also. :)

So now we're all supposed to go to Google images and enter "gene banks overalls", right?

Mr. "pithy sig script goes here" Slower

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Jason,

I see your point. I really do. But to your thought, I don't think it's a matter of laziness. I (and I would guess others who frequent here and post) look at this board like being at a sports bar with a bunch of friends. "Hey man, what ever happened to Gene Banks?"

Sports bars often have the sports section of newspapers at various tables. In addition, multiple televisions are often on SportsCenter or ESPN with the crawl at the bottom. If a guy, girl, rabbit turns to me in a sports bar and asks, "Hey man, did your boys Duke win last night," should I turn to him and say, "There's a newspaper buddy; look it up?"

It's the conversation that makes it a pleasure. Sure, facts can be looked up but when among such company as here, why not just "talk Duke" comfortably and enjoy the camaraderie (I did have to look up how to spell camaraderie:) )?

Where's the harm? The damage?

Just two cents from a HUGE fan of this site. Whatever the mods decide to do/change, cool; of course I'll respect that. You guys do a great job. But unless a flood of complaints are coming in from visitors, well, I just hope the changes aren't too changalistic.

Cheers and go Duke!

-EarlJam

yancem
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
So now we're all supposed to go to Google images and enter "gene banks overalls", right?

Mr. "pithy sig script goes here" Slower

LOL that almost brought me to tears!

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM

Appreciate your response and thanks for appreciating ours. I come here not for straight facts and news, but for insights and personal opinion/ stories. For all I know, someone might post that Tinkerbell is doing great and working across the hall from them. It's the personal touch from the true-blue that makes reading the questions and comments worth skipping the wiki version of the story.

roywhite
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear that coaching jobs (at Bluefield, WVa, and Smith High School in Greensboro) have not worked out well for Gene, and I read that his mother, who had been a big influence on him, passed away recently.

As a Duke fan living in the Philadelphia area in the late 1970's, it was amazing to see the popularity that Gene enjoyed in high school. He was a true star from his sophomore year on, and his West Philadelphia teams were outstanding. His senior year 1977, West Philly finished undefeated and was named the mythical national high school champion (this in the pre-ESPN and pre-USA Today era). That team was the stuff of legend, with Eugene "Tinkerbell" Banks, Clarence "Eggy" Tillman (who went on to Kentucky) and Darryl "City Lights" Warwick (a very successful D-2 backcourt player) as the star players. They took on many of the better teams on the East Coast and finished undefeated.

Gene's announcement that he was going to Duke was front page news in the Philadelphia newspapers in January or February of 1977. The recruiting story was not quite over, as Digger Phelps tried his darnedest to poach Banks. The gurus felt that Banks and Albert King were the top performers in the 1977class, and yeah, that Earvin Johnson fellow from Michigan was pretty good, too.

Many people here remember the magical ride in 1978 when Banks was a key piece in the Blue Devils run to the final game. His outstanding play and his flair for the theatrical make him one of my favorite Duke players to this day.

I wish him well.

Uncle Drew
02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Earl,

Man, Gene Banks plays pick up basketball in the early evenings at one of the YMCA's in Greensboro. I've played with him several times he can still hoop it up. Next time you're up in Burlington we'll head over to Greensboro and you can ask him yourself as he's doing a turn around jumper over you. :D

Latta

CameronBlue
02-26-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know, I think am in the same camp as Jason. I saw the Gene Banks titled thread and was thinking there must be some interesting new concerning him. Oh, well.

It did. Earl Jam's rejoinder revealed a new darker side of his personality. Damn funny post EJ.

Sandman
02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
EarlJam said :
I see your point. I really do. But to your thought, I don't think it's a matter of laziness. I (and I would guess others who frequent here and post) look at this board like being at a sports bar with a bunch of friends. "Hey man, what ever happened to Gene Banks?" .......

EarlJam makes an excellent point. This is a great site where soooo many knowledgeable comments follow questions such as "What ever happened to xxxxx....." It would be sad if we lost that synergy that develops routinely among this band of Duke brothers. ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear that coaching jobs (at Bluefield, WVa, and Smith High School in Greensboro) have not worked out well for Gene, and I read that his mother, who had been a big influence on him, passed away recently.

As a Duke fan living in the Philadelphia area in the late 1970's, it was amazing to see the popularity that Gene enjoyed in high school. He was a true star from his sophomore year on, and his West Philadelphia teams were outstanding. His senior year 1977, West Philly finished undefeated and was named the mythical national high school champion (this in the pre-ESPN and pre-USA Today era). That team was the stuff of legend, with Eugene "Tinkerbell" Banks, Clarence "Eggy" Tillman (who went on to Kentucky) and Darryl "City Lights" Warwick (a very successful D-2 backcourt player) as the star players. They took on many of the better teams on the East Coast and finished undefeated.

Gene's announcement that he was going to Duke was front page news in the Philadelphia newspapers in January or February of 1977. The recruiting story was not quite over, as Digger Phelps tried his darnedest to poach Banks. The gurus felt that Banks and Albert King were the top performers in the 1977class, and yeah, that Earvin Johnson fellow from Michigan was pretty good, too.

Many people here remember the magical ride in 1978 when Banks was a key piece in the Blue Devils run to the final game. His outstanding play and his flair for the theatrical make him one of my favorite Duke players to this day.

I wish him well.

There a funny little story which circulated around Gene's recruitment by Duke. It was said that Bill Foster was so intent on being sure that nobody poached Gene that he went to Philadelphia the day Gene was to mail the letter. Foster accompanied Gene to the post office and guided Gene's hand to put the letter of intent into the proper slot and on its way.

roywhite
02-26-2008, 09:40 PM
There a funny little story which circulated around Gene's recruitment by Duke. It was said that Bill Foster was so intent on being sure that nobody poached Gene that he went to Philadelphia the day Gene was to mail the letter. Foster accompanied Gene to the post office and guided Gene's hand to put the letter of intent into the proper slot and on its way.

And didn't Foster supposedly have an aerosol can labeled B.S. repellant that he used to spray when Banks came into his office?

No doubt Foster's sense of humor was a factor in the recruitment of Banks; quite a feat when you think about it for Foster to capture Banks in competition vs many highly ranked teams.

Indoor66
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
And didn't Foster supposedly have an aerosol can labeled B.S. repellant that he used to spray when Banks came into his office?

No doubt Foster's sense of humor was a factor in the recruitment of Banks; quite a feat when you think about it for Foster to capture Banks in competition vs many highly ranked teams.

Bill Foster had an incredible, wry sense of humor.

Atldukie79
02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
As a student during the Gene Banks era, I can tell you his arrival was electric. We had never had such an athletic and chisled player before. Playing in the band, we accompanied the team to the now defunct early season 2 night big Four tournament. I can remember with awe one of his power dunks (against UNC?). Some of us in the band were inspired to start playing the little musical ditty that was popular at the time from the Gong Show...you know, the one that played when "Gene, Gene the dancing machine" made his appearance. Naturally we altered the lyrics to " Gene, Gene the dunking machine".

Showing my age...does anyone remember the Gong Show???

365Duke
02-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Sorry Jason, I disagree. With all do respect, this thread alone provided facts like;

Banks went on to play six seasons in the NBA with the Spurs and Bulls from 81-87. He averaged 11.3 ppg and 5.8 rebounds. He then played overseas in Italy and Israel. I agree that he is often forgotten in the list of Duke greats despite averaging 16.8 ppg and 7.9 rpg over his Duke career. He was also ACC ROY.

He's also founded the Gene Banks League for helping at-risk children learn through basketball camps.

http://www.greensborosports.com/2008...n-road-branch/

Thanks for bringing up Gene Banks. It brought a smile to my face

I wish him well.

Man, Gene Banks plays pick up basketball in the early evenings at one of the YMCA's in Greensboro. I've played with him several times he can still hoop it up. Next time you're up in Burlington we'll head over to Greensboro and you can ask him yourself as he's doing a turn around jumper over you.

The latest info on the the link you provided was "in the late 90's". Ten year old info is certainly "post Duke", but it's not exactly breaking news either.

I can not think of one thing I have disagreed with you on in the past, so please don't take this the wrong way. Just an observation.;)

Verga3
02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
As a student during the Gene Banks era, I can tell you his arrival was electric. We had never had such an athletic and chisled player before. Playing in the band, we accompanied the team to the now defunct early season 2 night big Four tournament. I can remember with awe one of his power dunks (against UNC?). Some of us in the band were inspired to start playing the little musical ditty that was popular at the time from the Gong Show...you know, the one that played when "Gene, Gene the dancing machine" made his appearance. Naturally we altered the lyrics to " Gene, Gene the dunking machine".

Chuck Barris was a genius...That was fun show. I'm chuckling at the recollection of Gene, Gene and his schtick. Our Gene "Tinkerbell" Banks was a classic, and was probably underappreciated as the years go by. He was certainly one of the best and best-loved Blue Devils during his time at Duke....and what a great guy. Remember the roses on Senior Day?

I don't know about anyone else, but I really miss the Big Four in Greensboro. What an incredible way to begin the ACC season!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Chuck Barris was a genius...That was fun show. I'm chuckling at the recollection of Gene, Gene and his schtick. Our Gene "Tinkerbell" Banks was a classic, and was probably underappreciated as the years go by. He was certainly one of the best and best-loved Blue Devils during his time at Duke....and what a great guy. Remember the roses on Senior Day?

I don't know about anyone else, but I really miss the Big Four in Greensboro. What an incredible way to begin the ACC season!

I've never seen anything like it before or since! Gene brought such a dynamic presence on and off the court. He truly made basketball fun even when the games were close.

When Afro American athletes were honored recently at the St. Johns game, I felt it was a real oversight that Gene was not there. His contributions to Duke basketball and basketball lore are priceless.

Jumbo
02-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Guess what? Google works on your computer, too!

77devil
02-26-2008, 10:48 PM

The Big Four was quite an indoctrination for freshmen. The fans of the 4 tobacco road schools filling the Greensboro Coliseum making a lot of noise. It reminded me of the Big 5 doubleheaders in the Palestra in the late 60's and early 70's when those Philly city schools were national powers.

It was so loud at one point in the Duke vs. UNC game that Tinker got a T for dunking on a break away after the referee had blown the play dead in the back court. Nobody at the other end, including Banks, could hear the whistle.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
The Big Four was quite an indoctrination for freshmen. The fans of the 4 tobacco road schools filling the Greensboro Coliseum making a lot of noise. It reminded me of the Big 5 doubleheaders in the Palestra in the late 60's and early 70's when those Philly city schools were national powers.

It was so loud at one point in the Duke vs. UNC game that Tinker got a T for dunking on a break away after the whistle had blown the play dead in the back court. Nobody at the other end, including Banks, could hear the whistle.

The Big Four was such a great tournament! A fan's tournament to be sure. Having it early in the season (December) well before the conference play began always made the early season special. It was a welcome part of the season after the Dixie Classic was discontinued.

jimsumner
02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
"When Afro American athletes were honored recently at the St. Johns game, I felt it was a real oversight that Gene was not there."

Why? Duke was honoring its first African American athletes. Gene wasn't one of the first.

edensquad
02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Last time I looked, there was not a "sticky" mandating that posters refrain from asking benign questions re: Duke basketball or its players(Google-able or not).

Jason and Jumbo, lighten the frack up, please. Are ya TRYIN' to make it unfriendly here?? (oh, wait, maybe I should Google it)... **shaking head** :(

johnb
02-27-2008, 12:25 AM
If I want to learn something about a player, it does seem reasonable that I spend 3" on google or wikipedia before asking the question on dbr.

People from his era have plenty of memories about Gene. We were in the same class, and, not only was he our first great black basketball player, he gave a graduation speech that was fantastic.

edensquad
02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Absolutely no prob with Mods encouraging/enforcing decorum; but, it's a slippery slope once Mods try to quantify what is interesting. Don't find it engaging? Find it boring or intellectually lazy? Move along.

I have found some of the anecdotes very interesting on this thread.... glad it was started.

UncleBill
02-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I had that t shirt which said "Gene The Dunking Machine", I never knew the band started that. I wonder if I still have that in some box. I was in seventh grade when my sister was a freshman, and we all went up for Parents Weekend. Gene was waiting at the bus stop to head to Central, and we were waiting to go to East (back when the buses ran very infrequently), and he talked with me for five minutes about basketball and his trip to Europe that summer. Cemented me as a Duke Basketball fan, and I only applied to one college.

EarlJam
02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
It did. Earl Jam's rejoinder revealed a new darker side of his personality. Damn funny post EJ.

I had to google "rejoinder."

-EarlJam

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
"When Afro American athletes were honored recently at the St. Johns game, I felt it was a real oversight that Gene was not there."

Why? Duke was honoring its first African American athletes. Gene wasn't one of the first.

I guess I was thinking of Gene as the first Afro American star on the men's basketball team. In my opinion, Gene Banks signing to attend Duke was as important to Bill Foster's efforts to build a national program as Art Heyman was to Vic Bubas's building of the program.

Jumbo
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
When Afro American athletes were honored recently at the St. Johns game, I felt it was a real oversight that Gene was not there. His contributions to Duke basketball and basketball lore are priceless.

The appropriate term is not "Afro American."

EarlJam
02-27-2008, 09:22 AM

A quick Google search reveals some sites where the term "Afro American" is used by some reputatble sources:

http://beta.afro.com/

http://www.aahgs.org/

http://www.afroammuseum.org/

http://www.aasrp.uiuc.edu/home/default.html

-EarlJam

P.S. I've always used the term African-American though.

DukieInKansas
02-27-2008, 09:43 AM

I loved the Gong Show - it always was good for a laugh. Especially the episode when every contestant sang the song Feelings.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of Gene Banks and his googlability.

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
When I was a kid, at the end of one of the ACC finals, (I think vs Maryland), Banks passed out. My dad is a doctor and was nearby, so he was tending to him and in the process needed to check his pulse. He had to take off his wristbands, and gave them to me after the game. I kept those bands for years in my dresser drawer. Unfortunately, my mom tossed them mistakenly when I was at college. But I'll always remember having them, I'd wear them during important games for luck.

Olympic Fan
02-27-2008, 10:47 AM

Actually, there is a funny story about Banks' mailing his LOI, but that isn't what happened.

The first day of the 1977 spring signing day was a non-contact period according to the NCAA. That morning, Banks signed his LOI to Duke, then walked outside and put it in his mailbox.

Foster was sitting in his car a half-block away. So as not to violate any NCAA rules, he didn't acknowledge Banks in any way -- not even with a wave. But when Gene walked back inside, he drove down and took the LOI out of the mailbox.

Thinking about the story 30 years later, it sounds like in his effort to avoid breaking any NCAA rules, Foster might have violated some kind of Federal Postal laws -- I don't know for sure, but I imagine it's illegal to remove mail once it's been placed in a mail drop.

At any rate, it wasn't until he had the LOI in hand that Foster could quit worrying about Digger poaching the young star.

PS I wouldn't mind seeing Gene honored by Duke -- I know he was always disappointed that his jersey number was not retired -- but I don't think he belonged at the ceremony last Saturday.

BTW: While his early play in the Big Four Tournament was impressive, he actually made his debut at home with a win over Johns Hopkins.

hq2
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I can't think of any other recruit except maybe Art Heyman who had a bigger impact on Duke basketball.
Gene took Duke from last in the conference to playing for the national championship in one year. I still remember the day they signed him in February of 1977. I was delivering papers, and my copy of the Durham Sun had the headline "Duke Nets Cage Ace" on it. I remember beeping my horn madly, and heading over to Duke that weekend to discuss it with my best friend, who was in the pep band. We were both wild with anticipation, and almost every bit of it was fulfilled. To this day, I still rate the shot he hit to beat Carolina his senior year as the most dramatic and intense moment (over Laettner's shot, because it was Carolina!) in the history of Duke
basketball.

jimsumner
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
"At any rate, it wasn't until he had the LOI in hand that Foster could quit worrying about Digger poaching the young star."

IIRC, Notre Dame wasn't a signatory to the LOI program in those days and Digger kept after Banks until he showed up for classes. Caused Foster a fair number of sleepless nights.

Banks did hit a shot to beat Carolina in 1981 but it was a follow-shot with about ten seconds left. His dramatic, buzzer-beater tied the game and sent it into overtime.

slower
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Big Brother is moderating.

slower
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
If I were to ask if any Maroons ever got marooned, would that make me a maroon?

slower
02-27-2008, 03:36 PM
A quick Google search reveals some sites where the term "Afro American" is used by some reputatble sources:

http://beta.afro.com/

http://www.aahgs.org/

http://www.afroammuseum.org/

http://www.aasrp.uiuc.edu/home/default.html

-EarlJam

P.S. I've always used the term African-American though.

It's ironical Googlic karmic poetical justice, I tells ya!

EarlJam
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
It's ironical Googlic karmic poetical justice, I tells ya!

Indeed! And thanks!

-EarlJam (a.k.a. Mr. F. Awesome)

slower
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
If I were to ask if any Maroons ever got marooned, would that make me a maroon?

wrong thread

gvtucker
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh, man, Gene was strong as an ox. I remember freshman year, we were playing scout squad for Gene and the rest of the regulars. Gene and I went up for a rebound, and of course, Gene came down with the ball. I went down in a crumpled heap, with my shoulder in one place and the rest of me in another.

Gene didn't even notice I was there, as he separated my shoulder. I was reminded of the "Buck Buck" routine that Bill Cosby made popular, and the line, "A piece of paper. Somebody threw a piece of paper on me." For Gene, I was barely a piece of paper.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Foster was sitting in his car a half-block away. So as not to violate any NCAA rules, he didn't acknowledge Banks in any way -- not even with a wave. But when Gene walked back inside, he drove down and took the LOI out of the mailbox.

Thinking about the story 30 years later, it sounds like in his effort to avoid breaking any NCAA rules, Foster might have violated some kind of Federal Postal laws -- I don't know for sure, but I imagine it's illegal to remove mail once it's been placed in a mail drop.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. I believe that removing mail from a mail box is a felony. Good think Bill didn't get caught!

sagegrouse
02-27-2008, 07:03 PM

The term for people in the Caribbean of African descent or origin is "Afro-Caribbean." In fact, the term "African-Caribbean" is darn near unpronounceable. So I don't exactly see what is wrong with Afro-American, do you?

You, of course, are aware of the Afro American, a Wash-Baltimore newspaper.

sagegrouse

77devil
02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I believe that removing mail from a mail box is a felony. Good thing Bill didn't get caught!

I'm betting this is Duke mythology. I've never seen a public postal mail drop from which mail could be removed short of using demolition.