PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee or Vandy?

TwoDukeTattoos
02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
OK, here's a tuffie! #1 Tennesse and # 14 Vandy square off tonight @ 9p (ESPN). Who do we want to win? Do we pull for Vandy because everyone loves to see the #1 team drop? Or do we pull for Tennessee because we don't want the Baby Blues poised to slide into the #1 spot (assuming they win this weekend)?

Duvall
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
It's not a tough question.

Duke's goal is to win a national championship, not to prevent North Carolina from getting ephemeral poll honors. A Tennessee loss improves Duke's chance of getting a better NCAA tournament seed, and the tournament is what matters.

juise
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Vandy. We need as many top teams (especially those with potential to get placed in the Charlotte regional) to lose as possible. NCAA seeding is much more important than polls, IMO.

Besides, a victory over #1 UNC at Cameron, is much sweeter.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM

Duke's goal is to win a national championship, not to prevent North Carolina from getting ephemeral poll honors. A Tennessee loss improves Duke's chance of getting a better NCAA tournament seed, and the tournament is what matters.

Quite true and very good point. Plus we'll knock UNC from whatever spot they happen to be in come 3/8 anyway! GO DUKE!!!

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Only because I know several UT fans that have resorted to talking mad crap since they're ranked #1. (For the first time in school history, might I add.) I hope Vandy waxes their butts.

Good reasoning, I know.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Only because I know several UT fans that have resorted to talking mad crap since they're ranked #1. (For the first time in school history, might I add.) I hope Vandy waxes their butts.

Good reasoning, I know.

And from what I read, the Vols did quite a bit of celebrating after the game (clean fun such as singing Rocky Top and egging the fans to chants of #1). Perhaps they won't be focused enough to win a close one.

yancem
02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the hangover from knocking off Memphis will be hard for Tenn to overcome. Plus Vandy's stadium is weird to play in with the benches at the ends (although Tenn should be relatively used to this by now). But the question is not who do we think will win but who we want to win. I say Vandy for a couple of reasons. First their fans are starting to get obnoxious. Second, since they are not on our schedule we don't have any control over their seeding. UNC on the other hand is on our schedule and if we take care of our own business, we won't have to worry about them.

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2008, 03:27 PM

Yup. We want Charlotte, and right now Tennessee owns it. I want them to lose every one of their next games. Carolina, too.

Forrest
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
What everyone else said, plus I'm an alum. Go Dores!

That said, when the two teams played in Knoxville, UT was clearly the quicker, more energetic, more aggressive and better team. Vandy will really need to step it up tonight, even with the home court advantage, to break through.

killerleft
02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Vandy is the easy choice for me. As stated above, if we can whup the heels in Cameron everything works out just fine. Besides, Rocky Top is almost as obnoxious as the Wake fight song used to be before they went tie-dye.

Salty Breezes
02-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Couldn't agree more, Duvall. And, by the way, there's nothing better than being the underdog in Cameron. Think Demarcus won't be ready for that one?

DevilAlumna
02-26-2008, 07:06 PM

Ditto.

Vandy, Vandy, oh, hell yeah!

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Vandy up by 8 with 5 min to go. Are there any other stadiums where the benches are along the baseline? It's so odd...I've never seen anything like it. And there's sooo much space between the sideline and the first row of seats.

Section 8
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Looking good so far for the team without an athletic department. Up 8 with less than 5 min to go.

dukie8
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
vandy is a class act. did you notice that the cops told all the students to stay off the court with a couple of minutes left and then made a wall as the buzzer sounded? some of the other schools with court storming students should take notice because one of these games is going to have a huge brawl with students and opposing players. memphis last week came very close.

Lotus000
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Vandy ftw!

Man that baseline pass was sweeeeet.

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 11:35 PM
vandy is a class act. did you notice that the cops told all the students to stay off the court with a couple of minutes left and then made a wall as the buzzer sounded? some of the other schools with court storming students should take notice because one of these games is going to have a huge brawl with students and opposing players. memphis last week came very close.

I'm pretty sure the SEC fines schools when students storm the courts so the cops took extra steps. Most conferences don't hand out fines, so they don't take as many steps to prevent those things. I'm sure the students were told ahead of time to not storm the court. If other conferences enacted this rule, I'm sure the storming would subside somewhat, but would still happen occasionally.

Channing
02-26-2008, 11:36 PM

That isnt because they are classy. The SEC has a strict no court storming policy, with a warning followed by fines, I think of 25,000. Vandy was fined 25K last year for storming, and had they stormed this year they would have been fined another 25K

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Shan Foster = Usher
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/auto/fall07shanrecording660.jpg
http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040614/040614_usher_vmed130p.widec.jpg

YmoBeThere
02-26-2008, 11:37 PM

That said, when the two teams played in Knoxville, UT was clearly the quicker, more energetic, more aggressive and better team. Vandy will really need to step it up tonight, even with the home court advantage, to break through.

Another Duke/Vandy alum here. We had Freije and Co when I was there, Stallings has been doing a good job.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
If other conferences enacted this rule, I'm sure the storming would subside somewhat, but would still happen occasionally.

Not if the schools adopt a policy where the first 10 kids get fined $2,500 each, to pay for the $25,000 fine :cool:

dukie8
02-26-2008, 11:57 PM
i also think that the tennessee loss shifts the charlotte regional back to the winner of duke/unc. tennessee now will be at best a 3-loss team and that won't be enough to wrestle it away from a 4 or 5 loss duke/unc team (tennessee with just 2 losses would be significantly better than such duke/unc profiles).

i still wouldn't mind facing tennessee as the 1 or 2 in a bracket. we are better at small ball than they are and i think nelson would do a great job on lofton. i also wouldn't mind seeing memphis and their undisciplined play and ft bricks. i feel like our guys could pull jedi mind tricks on them.