PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Greg Paulus

jimsumner
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke junior point guard Greg Paulus became the 10th men’s basketball player in school history to earn Academic All-America honors when he was named to the 2008 ESPN the Magazine Academic All-America third team on Tuesday.

Paulus is Duke’s fourth Academic All-America since the 1997-98 season, giving the Blue Devils the most of any program in the country over the last 11 seasons. The Syracuse, N.Y. native has earned a 3.30 GPA and is majoring in Political Science in the classroom this season. He was an ESPN the Magazine Academic All-District III first team selection to become eligible for Academic All-America honors.

Paulus joins Mike Dunleavy (2002), Shane Battier (2000-01), Quin Snyder (1989), Mike Gminski (1978-80), Jim Spanarkel (1978-79), Bob Fleischer (1974-75), Gary Melchionni (1972), Dick DeVenzio (1971) and Jay Buckley (1963-64) as Duke’s Academic All-Americas.

Stray Gator
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke junior point guard Greg Paulus became the 10th men’s basketball player in school history to earn Academic All-America honors when he was named to the 2008 ESPN the Magazine Academic All-America third team on Tuesday.

Paulus is Duke’s fourth Academic All-America since the 1997-98 season, giving the Blue Devils the most of any program in the country over the last 11 seasons. The Syracuse, N.Y. native has earned a 3.30 GPA and is majoring in Political Science in the classroom this season. He was an ESPN the Magazine Academic All-District III first team selection to become eligible for Academic All-America honors.

Paulus joins Mike Dunleavy (2002), Shane Battier (2000-01), Quin Snyder (1989), Mike Gminski (1978-80), Jim Spanarkel (1978-79), Bob Fleischer (1974-75), Gary Melchionni (1972), Dick DeVenzio (1971) and Jay Buckley (1963-64) as Duke’s Academic All-Americas.

Outstanding achievement! Congrats to Greg--you make us proud.

ugadevil
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow! That's a great honor for Greg. He really seems like a determined individual. Did everyone know that he was also a great high school QB?:rolleyes:

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Congrats to Greg for a great honor. I know we've done very well in All-ACC Academic teams as well. Wasn't J.J. a pretty regular member of All-ACC Academic teams in his tenure?

Madrasdukie
02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
From Duke press release

Many congratulations to Greg.

I remember reading in a news paper report (the credibility of which I have no idea) that Jason Williams had a very high GPA (close to 4.0). I wonder why he never won Academic All America honors...

Indoor66
02-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Congrats to Greg. A quality young man, a credit to Duke.

Misunderestimated
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Did everyone know that he was also a great high school QB?:rolleyes:

No way!! I wonder if he has any siblings and if they're any good at sports? :D I bet Demarcus was a good scorer in HS!

SilkyJ
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Wasn't J.J. a pretty regular member of All-ACC Academic teams in his tenure?

Ha. No. not close.

I thought Marty won something recently for his academic achievements. Perhaps it was all-acc academic or something (I don't even know if there is a conference related academic team, but I remember him winning SOMETHING last year or the year before...)

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Looks like "regular" was wrong, but he was named once, in his Junior season:

J.J. Redick
Junior Season (2004-05)
"named to the ACC All-Academic Team as well"
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152133&Q_SEASON=2005

Gotta watch out for my fellow history majors.:)

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Ha. No. not close.

I thought Marty won something recently for his academic achievements. Perhaps it was all-acc academic or something (I don't even know if there is a conference related academic team, but I remember him winning SOMETHING last year or the year before...)

Yes, Pocius has been named to the Academic All-ACC teams his freshman (2006) and sophomore years (2007). Paulus joined him freshman year, but didn't make it sophomore year. No other Duke players made it either year. 12 players were on the list in 2006 and 10 players in 2007. Not to be mean, but it seems hard to believe that out of the ~150 scholarship basketball players or so in the conference, only 5% have GPAs above 3.0.....Although to be named you have to have a cumulative GPA above 3.0 and have obtained a 3.0 the previous semester.

2006 All-ACC Academic Team (http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/recaps/20060630aaa.html)
2007 All-ACC Academic Team (http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/recaps/20070628aaa.html)

On a random note, did you know that for the 2000-2001 championship season, Reggie Love was the only player on our roster according to Duke's official athletic site?!?! Wow, that guy must have been goooooood. Roster (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2000)

And congrats Greg! Definitely representing us well!

SilkyJ
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Looks like "regular" was wrong, but he was named once, in his Junior season:

J.J. Redick
Junior Season (2004-05)
"named to the ACC All-Academic Team as well"
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152133&Q_SEASON=2005

Gotta watch out for my fellow history majors.:)

dude my bad. I thought u said just all-american, not all-acc.

shadowfax336
02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Thats awesome. And Greg is a Polisci major, not a slacker major by any stretch of the imagination.

DangerDevil
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Nolan Smith should have gotten the award instead.

Uncle Drew
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Congrats to Greg. It's a big honor and let's us know if he does go into coaching some day as planned he definately has the smarts for it.

I have one question about the all-academic sellections for each year. I actually tried to do a search and find the present and past teams but couldn't. But I was just wondering if other players are often from much lower academic institutions in comparison to Duke? Shadow said being a Poli-SCi major makes it hard enough. But the fact that Greg or any of the other past Duke all-academics did it at Duke; well shouldn't that be viewed as an even bigger accomplishment?

BlueintheFace
02-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Agreed, he is just more versatile in the classroom and can really get an "A" in a variety of ways...

God, I love sarcastically belittling those who make this stupid argument. Awesome post dude.

weezie
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I love smart guys!

mapei
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
The quote says Greg is the fourth Duke player since 98 to be so honored, but then lists only two others. Are they counting Shane twice? Or is Greg really the fourth?

I was surprised not to see Grant on that list (pre-98 in his case, of course).

Congrats to Greg.

dukie8
02-26-2008, 11:06 PM
The quote says Greg is the fourth Duke player since 98 to be so honored, but then lists only two others. Are they counting Shane twice? Or is Greg really the fourth?

I was surprised not to see Grant on that list (pre-98 in his case, of course).

Congrats to Greg.

grant wasn't exactly a scholar at duke. don't you remember him failing spanish his senior year and not graduating with his class?

i was more surprised langdon never made it. he was a math major. there is no faking those classes.

Double DD
02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Congrats to Greg. It's a big honor and let's us know if he does go into coaching some day as planned he definately has the smarts for it.

I have one question about the all-academic sellections for each year. I actually tried to do a search and find the present and past teams but couldn't. But I was just wondering if other players are often from much lower academic institutions in comparison to Duke? Shadow said being a Poli-SCi major makes it hard enough. But the fact that Greg or any of the other past Duke all-academics did it at Duke; well shouldn't that be viewed as an even bigger accomplishment?

http://www.cosida.com/Academic%20All-America/aaaselections.aspx

Here's the link you need. You should be able to browse through the links for all the past teams in various sports.

dukemomLA
02-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Congratulations to Greg! Hopefully he will stay at Duke getting his Masters or PHD, while being another assistant coach until a major program calls. I'd make a list, starting with Indiana, but don't want to be catty....(Meow)

SilkyJ
02-27-2008, 01:50 AM

good one.

though I have to disagree with the other poster who said that those who support nolan over greg are stupid, or that their argument is stupid. nolan is a tremendous player and brings things to the table that greg doesn't. by the same token greg brings some things to the table that nolan doesn't, but I don't think its ridiculous or stupid to discuss nolan as a starter. I think he has demonstrated he is more than capable.

grant wasn't exactly a scholar at duke. don't you remember him failing spanish his senior year and not graduating with his class?

i was more surprised langdon never made it. he was a math major. there is no faking those classes.

I didn't know that about either one. Did langdon NEVER graduate?

johnb
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
The academic teams take sports achievement into consideration, so that there are undoubtedly some reserves who had high GPA's but aren't going to make the team.

Jason Williams was a 4.0 student in high school but not at Duke. As a former player, Alaa Abdelnaby, once said, "the only way I can get 5 A's at Duke is by writing my name." That's not to say that the players aren't smart, and I firmly believe that many of them would have much higher GPA's if they weren't absorbed in playing basketball at perhaps the most high-profile school in the country. On the whole, though, if we tried to field a basketball team whose average GPA was 3.3, we wouldn't win a single conference game.

mapei
02-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Grant must have graduated eventually, though, since otherwise his jersey wouldn't be retired? Too bad about Trajan - that's disappointing.

Richard Berg
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
No faking, I suppose, but there is more grade inflation in the math department than virtually any other.

Duvall
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Too bad about Trajan - that's disappointing.

I think he means never made Academic All-American.

mapei
02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I was responding to Silky's suggestion that TL may never have graduated. It was only his question, not a statement, but if true I think it's disappointing - especially since he had five years!

throatybeard
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm a bit uncomfortable with speculating about individual players' academic records. This really isn't our business, beyond about our being aware of their status in three categories:

1) academically eligible to play (or graduated)
2) not academically eligible to play (or failed to graduate)
3) award-winning

Put another way, I really wouldn't want Grant Hill gossiping about how I was doing in class spring of senior year.

dukie8
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm a bit uncomfortable with speculating about individual players' academic records. This really isn't our business, beyond about our being aware of their status in three categories:

1) academically eligible to play (or graduated)
2) not academically eligible to play (or failed to graduate)
3) award-winning

Put another way, I really wouldn't want Grant Hill gossiping about how I was doing in class spring of senior year.

it's not gossiping. it's a fact that he failed a spanish class his 2nd semester senior year and didn't graduate with his class. he wound up taking a class and graduating that summer but there's no point dancing around what clearly wasn't a highlight in his life or duke basketball. nonetheless, it's bridge under the water at this point as he has been incredibly successful both on and off the court.

Dukie4Life
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I must say that I'm so proud of Greg! I'm so tired of hearing how some atheletes at some school get away with murder in the classroom. I grew up in Ohio when football players were taking classes during season entitled "AIDS AWARENESS" and "GOLF". I'm sure that those weren't "easy" on top of practices and such however those players also didn't stay in school and are currently high school football coaches in Ohio.

It makes me so happy to cheer on a team whose players have to place their education before there chosen sport. It also makes me wonder how other some universities get away with it. Sociology is by no means an easy major, and Shane Battier was a religion major and Jay Bilas is now a lawyer for example. I hate to call out Maryland players but Lonny Baxter and Steve Blake were Numbers and Letters major, don't get me wrong I know it takes some kids longer I teach kindergarten, I just hope that Numbers and Letters were maybe in 18 differently languages that they were learning!

Enough ranting way to go Greg!!!

Deslok
02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
No faking, I suppose, but there is more grade inflation in the math department than virtually any other.

Ummmm what?!?

About 10 years ago or so, Duke looked to alter course grades because of grade inflation, and one of the key notes in the study that lead to that proposal was that Math department grades were at the lowest end of the spectrum on campus(with some of the sciences right up there as well). I don't know if things have radically altered in 10 years, but I'd be very surprised if the Math department went from having being the hardest graded area to being the most inflated.

ugadevil
02-28-2008, 12:18 AM
I see that Greg was named as a 3rd Team Academic All-American and was curious to know the difference in the teams. Is a higher GPA required to be First Team All-American, or are different criteria used at that point? Regardless, it's a great accomplishment either way. Just wondering...

Richard Berg
02-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Deslok: I'm aware of that study. It's heavily slanted by the enormous # of freshmen taking 25L/26L or 31/32. Those are rightfully treated as weedout classes for potential scientists & engineers -- if you can't hack them, you won't survive in your major.

But we were talking about math majors. In contrast to the flood who stream into intro courses from a wide variety of math backgrounds, there are only ~30 math majors in an average graduating class, most of whom come in very well prepared. The bulk of their curriculum is spent above 104, i.e. in classes where you really have to try to get lower than an A-. I should know, I managed to do it a few times ;)