PDA

View Full Version : Church or viewing sports?

KenTankerous
02-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I am pondering the idea of writing an article for a friends indy rag and need some input from die hard college basketball fans. In no way am I trying to be judgemental or flipant about the importance of religion in peoples' lives. It just seems to me that sports fanaticism has replaced religion as the elixir of the masses and I am trying to gather information that either proves or dismisses this idea.

So what do you say, which do you do more religiously, watch Duke or go to your house of worship?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I believe in God, Coach K, and long, slow wet kisses.

wilko
02-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I believe in God, Coach K, and long, slow wet kisses.

Glad I was slick enuff to pick out the movie reference...

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 10:18 AM

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

OldPhiKap
02-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Nope. But, Ozzie, I was in Cameron when they made an announcement asking for extras when they filmed. Problem was, you had to go to the park in summer clothes and it was the coldest week of my four years in Durham.

Jfrosh
02-26-2008, 10:33 AM
I am pondering the idea of writing an article for a friends indy rag and need some input from die hard college basketball fans. In no way am I trying to be judgemental or flipant about the importance of religion in peoples' lives. It just seems to me that sports fanaticism has replaced religion as the elixir of the masses and I am trying to gather information that either proves or dismisses this idea.

So what do you say, which do you do more religiously, watch Duke or go to your house of worship?

So many of my kids activities and my own revolve around our Church. I am there at least 3 times a week. Monday coach kids basketball in church league and 1 daughter has dance class there, son has guitar lessons there, Tuesday Wife Coaches, Wednesday kids programs and I play in a bball league, Thursday another daughter dance class. Saturday coach games at church. Sunday actual services and Sunday School.
4 hours a week of Duke games just doesn't compare. However if we count the amount of time perusuing DBR I'd say we break just about even.

sandinmyshoes
02-26-2008, 10:34 AM

And thank God for the comma after the K.

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 10:40 AM
And thank God for the comma after the K.

That is funny!

By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play? I see him more as a relief pitcher in baseball, with all the saves and all. But if he hooped it up, I don't know. Maybe a coach? I mean, that speech he gave on the Mount before ascending rivals anything Knute Rockne could have done. **And to that point (ascension), maybe a slashing small forward?

-EarlJam

**EarlJam is a Christian and believes God has a sense of humor. In no way...NO WAY...am I meaning to be sacreligious here. Jesus and me; we talk.

Jfrosh
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
That is funny!

By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play? I see him more as a relief pitcher in baseball, with all the saves and all. But if he hooped it up, I don't know. Maybe a coach? I mean, that speech he gave on the Mount before ascending rivals anything Knute Rockne could have done. **And to that point (ascension), maybe a slashing small forward?

-EarlJam

**EarlJam is a Christian and believes God has a sense of humor. In no way...NO WAY...am I meaning to be sacreligious here. Jesus and me; we talk.

No doubt Jesus would be a point guard. Sacrificing his points to make his teamates better. Coach K would have still made him cut his hair though.

weezie
02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
No doubt Jesus would be a point guard. Sacrificing his points to make his teamates better. Coach K would have still made him cut his hair though.

Jesus with a buzz cut? Still handsome!

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Well, apparently Jesus did spend some time in the NBA (with the Hawks even!). His stats were okay but I thought they'd be a little better, being Jesus and all. From the article:

The return of Christ, who averaged 18.2 points and 7.3 assists per game during his 10-year NBA career, has excited success-hungry Hawks fans, who are calling Him the team's "Savior."

Link:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50097

-EJ

BD80
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Church or viewing sports?

Why choose? With VCast and earbuds, multitask! I have heard of this during weddings (who gets married during the NCAAs anyway?! - or during the NBA Finals?!)

What if Cameron is your House of Worship? God is everywhere!

bdh21
02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
My outlook: You will be successful if you can focus on three things, and three things only: Your family, your religion, and the Green Bay Packers.

gadzooks
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
who gets married during the NCAAs anyway?!A good friend, who is sadly ignorant on sports matters, is getting married March 29. :eek: I'm not sure we can afford the airfare to go anyway, but if we do, I plan on checking whether the reception site has TVs. Basketball: Serious business.

mlk
02-26-2008, 01:30 PM

I do both have not missed sunday service in a long time and try to catch all the duke games

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
My outlook: You will be successful if you can focus on three things, and three things only: Your family, your religion, and the Green Bay Packers.

Awesome. Long live the legend of Jimmy V!

DukieInKansas
02-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Awesome. Long live the legend of Jimmy V!

Of course, his line would have been better if it had been before a Green Bay game - instead of to his Rutgers basketball team.

I have to go with church - am there 3 times a week - choir, bells, and services. I'm grateful for functioning VCRs.

MarineTwinsDad
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Since I don't have ESPN, I go to church. (Not the only reason...)

If I did have ESPN, and Duke was playing Sunday evening, I'd stay home and watch. (I'm only vice-chair of the Deacon Board.) God hears my prayers at home as well, and I have a better idea of what to pray for when watching the game.

Which raises the question, who actually prays for Duke to win?

Johnboy
02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
"Eruditio et Sportasphaera"

. . . or perhaps just "Eruditio et Basketballio"

-jk
02-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Jeff Mullins' grandmother (I got this story second hand; I think it was Jeff's) thought it inappropriate to pray for victory in a basketball game. So instead she would pray for the boys to be happy after the game.

-jk

RelativeWays
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Jesus would be a swingman. Being aprt of the Trinity means he could play 3 positions and play them quite well.

Ben63
02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Unless I missed the point, this poll is skewed. Duke has more than one game a week and i only go to church once a week, sometimes two. So therefore I watch Duke more often than I go to church. Correct me if I missed the point

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

Jesus (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/38133) does play guard, but in a 3-guard rotation (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/sbg/stats) it seems. Looks like he did get a haircut and a tan.
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1004/41239.jpg

dkbaseball
02-26-2008, 06:28 PM
That is funny!

By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play? if he hooped it up, I don't know. Maybe a coach? I mean, that speech he gave on the Mount before ascending rivals anything Knute Rockne could have done. **And to that point (ascension), maybe a slashing small forward?

"Blessed are the pacemakers." To control tempo is to feel God's grace. Jesus would be a point who could speed it up or slow it down as needed. (And, as a side note, I think there were a lot of noteworthy events in between the Sermon on the Mount and ascension.)

On a serious note, wrt the topic raised at the beginning of the thread, I think America's sports obsession has developed more as an alternative source of satisfaction to the workplace, rather than to religion. Sports is a reasonably pure meritocracy, where your success generally bears some substantial relation to your actual worth. Increasingly, the American workplace is losing any such connection. Of course, this is coming from someone who takes the comic strip Dilbert as a straight-up description of reality.

Lavabe
02-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Nope. But, Ozzie, I was in Cameron when they made an announcement asking for extras when they filmed. Problem was, you had to go to the park in summer clothes and it was the coldest week of my four years in Durham.

Hmm... I recall going to the Ball Park for the wedding scene. They promised us donuts and beer. They needed everyone to cheer. We were on the third base side, but the wedding took place on the first base side. Production Assistant Kippi Bell promised us more than donuts, but that's all we ever got. That was during the summer.

After we left, we got some beer.:D

FWIW, the donuts were not Krispy Kreme.:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
While I watch every Duke game barring absolute conflict, church wins out for me. I go to church an average of twice a week. I'd say I typically attend three of four Sunday services a month, plus at least once more during the week (currently I am serving on a search committee to replace on of our staff members). I also regularly participate in youth activities as a chaperone/advisor.
Our senior pastor and at least two of our associates are heels, so I have to represent. I have a Duke blue and white bowtie that gets lots of play between November and March.

Kathy S
02-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Unless I missed the point, this poll is skewed. Duke has more than one game a week and i only go to church once a week, sometimes two. So therefore I watch Duke more often than I go to church. Correct me if I missed the point

I think you may be shortchanging yourself on the church side of the equation. Looking at the question on an annualized basis, if you go to church once a week all year long, that's 52 times per year, whereas Duke doesn't play 52 games each calendar year. I wish they did, I'd watch them all!

Troublemaker
02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I Tivo church.

dukemomLA
02-27-2008, 01:22 AM
I TIVO Duke. Then again, being on the Left Coast there is usually no conflict. I also TIVO NFL, Tiger Woods, MLB, etc. Thank God for TIVO. Day or night, it changes your life.

BD80
02-27-2008, 03:35 AM
Using a tangible criteria - money, this can be easily measured. Duke keeps records of donations, and most are listed with the IRS as well. However, based upon the religious donations claimed on tax returns, religion wins 100,000 to one!

By the way, we have been overly restrictive in considering the talents of the team:

Moses was great at breaking a press and parting a D,

David was tremendous at bringing down big men on the other team,

Joe Smith didn't have much game, but was a great recruiter,

Buddha was a real space eater in the middle,

Gaia could really handle the orb,

Thor had the original thunder dunk,

Zaebos was a thick-skinned warrior,

Sekhmet was a real shooter with unlimited range,

Artemis was another great shooter and had her own statue long before MJ,

Vishnu was the original "landlord",

and, my favorite, Bacchus (Roman God, not Saint Bacchus) - truly the center of team spirit

RPS
02-27-2008, 09:40 AM
By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play?Earl -- he did play at Duke already, arriving in 2000. So his eligibility is all used up.

P.S. I agree with you about God's sense of humor.
P.P.S. In the event of conflict between church and a Duke game I DVR. If it's a really big game, I adjust my service attendance to be able to see it live.

snowdenscold
02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
P.P.S. In the event of conflict between church and a Duke game I DVR. If it's a really big game, I adjust my service attendance to be able to see it live.

Pretty much the same. Since I attend service at 5:30 PM on Sunday I occasionally have to miss a Duke game - but I'll just get a friend to TiVo it.

If it's the Carolina game, I will just listen to the audio recording (actually they have a video recording too now) later - hey, it's only once a year.

Huh?
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Trick question, Coach K is god

RIP Chris Farley

EarlJam
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Using a tangible criteria - money, this can be easily measured. Duke keeps records of donations, and most are listed with the IRS as well. However, based upon the religious donations claimed on tax returns, religion wins 100,000 to one!

By the way, we have been overly restrictive in considering the talents of the team:

Moses was great at breaking a press and parting a D,

David was tremendous at bringing down big men on the other team,

Joe Smith didn't have much game, but was a great recruiter,

Buddha was a real space eater in the middle,

Gaia could really handle the orb,

Thor had the original thunder dunk,

Zaebos was a thick-skinned warrior,

Sekhmet was a real shooter with unlimited range,

Artemis was another great shooter and had her own statue long before MJ,

Vishnu was the original "landlord",

and, my favorite, Bacchus (Roman God, not Saint Bacchus) - truly the center of team spirit

Great post! Quick question: Buddha? Or Sean May?

-EJ