PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances that we play in Raleigh

duke211
02-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I would love to see us play there since I already have tickets.

Jarhead
02-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Pretty good. I'd say. Barring disaster both Duke and UNC will play their first two rounds there.

CameronBornAndBred
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Pretty good. I'd say. Barring disaster both Duke and UNC will play their first two rounds there.

I have been tempted to get tickets, but I'm not buying them until regular season is over, and even then maybe not. I'm fairly certain we'll be there, but until 2 games ago I was feeling the same about Charlotte.

dukegirlinsc
02-25-2008, 10:59 PM
If I do get tickets, I'll buy them when I get there. It's never failed me before. There's no way in heck I'd buy tickets right now. There's a lot of important basketball left to be played...I still think it's too early to be assuming where Duke will be seeded.

But to each his own. :D

Tom B.
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM

In which case, we might as well play the first two rounds in the Dean Dome, because it will basically be a road game for Duke. That's what happened when both UNC and Duke got sent to Charlotte for the first two rounds a few years ago. The arena was something like 65% Carolina fans, 15-20% fans of all the other schools playing there (who rooted against Duke just because we were the favorite), and 15-20% Duke fans. Hardly a "neutral" court.

If UNC gets Raleigh, my first choice for Duke would be Washington, DC. Duke has a large alumni base in the DC area and the Amtrak corridor, so it would be a good fit. Of course, it's possible that we'd have to share the site with (ugh) UConn or Maryland (though at the rate they're going, the Terps will have frittered away their NCAA bid by then), but it's probably more likely that the other "pod leader" at that site would be Georgetown, which doesn't bother me as much. After DC, my next choice for Duke probably would be Tampa.

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
After DC, my next choice for Duke probably would be Tampa.

NOOOOOOOOOO, not Tampa!!!

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO, not Tampa!!!

You're not kidding. Tampa is the 7th circle of Lower Hell for Duke.

I'd rather see them play in Pyongyang.

-Earl O' I AM the JAM!

pamtar
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
They is pretty good!

- That Guy;)

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
You're not kidding. Tampa is the 7th circle of Lower Hell for Duke.

I'd rather see them play in Pyongyang.

-Earl O' I AM the JAM!

I'd be okay if that place exploded. Twice.

grc5
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Right now I'd say that something pretty unexpected has to happen for either Duke or UNC to get knocked out of Raleigh. Since Raleigh has space for both a #1 and a #2, and Duke & UNC are the only two schools in the Top 10 that would want to play a game in Raleigh (except maye Memphis or Tennessee), one of the following would have to happen:

1. Duke and UNC both earn #1 seeds
Since Memphis, Tennessee and Texas all have stronger resumes, at this point, IMO, this would only happened if all of the following occur:
a) Duke and UNC both win the remainder of their ACC games
b) Duke and UNC split Mar. 8th & the ACC Championship Game
c) Memphis, Tennessee or Texas falter early in their conference tournaments

2. Duke and UNC both earn #2 seeds
For this to happen:
a) Kansas and UCLA have to run the table, including winning their conference tournaments
b) UNC has to do something stupid (e.g. 1st round ACC Tournament exit)
and
c) Duke cannot run the table

3. Duke loses 3-4 more games and earns a #3 seed (God forbid)

All these scenarios are pretty unlikely, IMO (maybe #2 is somewhat possible). Over the next three weeks, UNC or Duke will be fighting to prove which one of them is a #1 and which one is a #2. It will be a great fight, because a Regionals trip to Charlotte is at stake, in addition to bragging rights.

grc5
02-26-2008, 10:46 AM
After DC, my next choice for Duke probably would be Tampa.

I hope we don't find ourselves playing in Tampa, because that means that we're at best, a #3 seed, which presumably means that Duke has seriously screwed up its mojo.
If we weren't in Raleigh, I'd prefer some place relatively close and hater-free, so Omaha would be my 2nd choice.

rtnorthrup
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Memphis would almost assuredly rather play in Little Rock.

Tenn would probably rather be in Birmingham than in Raleigh.

I cant see any other top 10 teams that make sense in Raleigh.

weezie
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
If UNC gets Raleigh, my first choice for Duke would be Washington, DC. Duke has a large alumni base in the DC area and the Amtrak corridor, so it would be a good fit.

Yeah, but the Verizon Center is a dump. The ushers are horrible dictators, the food stinks, the bathrooms are filthy and the lines are long. Don't even think about trying to buy or sell your tickets outside the arena. The cops delight in busting anyone trying to scalp. They can't control real crime in DC so they target clueless poor sap fans. It's disgusting.

Tom B.
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
If we weren't in Raleigh, I'd prefer some place relatively close and hater-free, so Omaha would be my 2nd choice.

That was pretty much my rationale for picking Tampa as my second choice after DC if UNC is in Raleigh -- the travel distance isn't too far, and there's a reasonable likelihood of it being an actual neutral court (unlike Raleigh if UNC is there or DC if UConn or Maryland is there). The next closest sites are Birmingham and Little Rock, which probably will be the destinations of Tennessee and Memphis (and possibly another SEC school or two, like Vanderbilt). Texas also very well might end up in Little Rock, and I gotta think Kansas is going to own Omaha. Denver and Anaheim are too far, and Anaheim is going to be all UCLA's anyway.

And the site in Tampa isn't the dome where our 1998 and 1999 NCAA Tournaments ended so depressingly -- it's the St. Pete Times Forum, so hopefully we'd escape the bad mojo by playing in a different building. (We did lose there in the ACC Tournament last year, but that was barely an upset.)

OldPhiKap
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
42%.

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
42%.

Totally disagree.

36.5%

-EarlJam

Classof06
02-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Right now, ESPN's Joe Lunardi has us as the 2 seed in the East with the Raleigh-to-Charlotte region, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance Duke will play in Raleigh. But Duke's goal should be to go from Raleigh-to-Charlotte, not just Raleigh. I don't really care if Duke is a 1 or 2 seed in the East but I do think being in the East region incrementally increases Duke's chances of getting to a Final Four.

My dream scenario is ESPN's current bracket with Duke as the 2 seed in the East with Tennessee as the 1 seed. IMO, if there's any 1 seed out there that Duke would match up well with, it's Tennessee.

hurleyfor3
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, but the Verizon Center is a dump. The ushers are horrible dictators, the food stinks, the bathrooms are filthy and the lines are long. Don't even think about trying to buy or sell your tickets outside the arena. The cops delight in busting anyone trying to scalp. They can't control real crime in DC so they target clueless poor sap fans. It's disgusting.

It's worse than that. They harass casual fans but let the professional scalpers do their thing. This is one reason the ACC Tournament will never go back there. DC sucks.

(BTW, the law in DC is that scalping is prohibited on public property. So parties get around this by going into the McDonald's or whatever to transact.)

DU82
02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
In which case, we might as well play the first two rounds in the Dean Dome, because it will basically be a road game for Duke. That's what happened when both UNC and Duke got sent to Charlotte for the first two rounds a few years ago. The arena was something like 65% Carolina fans, 15-20% fans of all the other schools playing there (who rooted against Duke just because we were the favorite), and 15-20% Duke fans. Hardly a "neutral" court.

If UNC gets Raleigh, my first choice for Duke would be Washington, DC. Duke has a large alumni base in the DC area and the Amtrak corridor, so it would be a good fit. Of course, it's possible that we'd have to share the site with (ugh) UConn or Maryland (though at the rate they're going, the Terps will have frittered away their NCAA bid by then), but it's probably more likely that the other "pod leader" at that site would be Georgetown, which doesn't bother me as much. After DC, my next choice for Duke probably would be Tampa.

I disagree. I don't get the feeling that Raleigh will be anywhere close to being as bad as Charlotte. Charlotte is clearly an Evil town. Raleigh is not. While we're not NC State's favorites, given the choice between us and the Evil Ones, they'll back us. (Although yes, they could root against both.) A lot of State fans bought tickets to use themselves, even though they knew they wouldn't be playing there.

What it will mean is that tickets will be much tougher to get on Sunday, when both would play, assuming both win their first round games. (Where's Weber State when you need them!)

Salty Breezes
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I bought tickets three weeks ago to Raleigh, but there's a decent chance we won't go.

If we're a 2 or 3 seed and UNC is a 1, we'll probably both go to Raleigh, and we can expect Tar Hole Nation to be there in full force. That's why I bought tix -- we need all the help we can get.

If we're a 1 and UNC is a 2 or 3, I agree with Featherston that they'll be shipped out; no way a Duke 1 seed has to play in a hostile environment.

If we're both #1's -- no clue what happens. If we're both 2's, we probably both go to Raleigh, and neither go to Charlotte.

IMO, we need another win over UNC to get a #1, and we must hold serve against GT, NCSU, and UVa first. That might just lock it up, even if UNC wins the ACC.

Classof06
02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't care what kind of anti-Duke fans will be in Raleigh or Charlotte, the reality is that Duke would've played in both arenas by March and they still wouldn't have to get on a plane until the Final Four.

Some of you guys are acting like Duke's never played in front of a hostile crowd before. Last year, the HSBC center went nuts when Duke lost to VCU, I'm sure it's something the guys are used to. So no matter how bad you think the fans are in either city, us not having to get on a plane outweighs that, IMO.

OldPhiKap
02-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Totally disagree.

36.5%

-EarlJam

I think you forgot that Friday was Leap Day, though, and Easter comes early this year.

yancem
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
With all of the tread merging that has taken place recently, why hasn't this been folded into the "Latest AP" thread. I know that the topics aren't exactly the same but the dicussions have headed down the same path of where will Duke be playing come tourney time and what will there seeding be.

EarlJam
02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I think you forgot that Friday was Leap Day, though, and Easter comes early this year.

True enough. But solar flare activity is supposed to increase by 17% in mid-March. Did you consider that?

-EarlJam

OldPhiKap
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
True enough. But solar flare activity is supposed to increase by 17% in mid-March. Did you consider that?

Frankly, no. No I hadn't.

Let me get the #2 Sharpie out and run this again . . . .

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I hope we don't find ourselves playing in Tampa, because that means that we're at best, a #3 seed, which presumably means that Duke has seriously screwed up its mojo.

When you find this magical "hater-free" location, please let me know. Duke haters are everywhere. :mad:

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't care what kind of anti-Duke fans will be in Raleigh or Charlotte, the reality is that Duke would've played in both arenas by March and they still wouldn't have to get on a plane until the Final Four.

Some of you guys are acting like Duke's never played in front of a hostile crowd before. Last year, the HSBC center went nuts when Duke lost to VCU, I'm sure it's something the guys are used to. So no matter how bad you think the fans are in either city, us not having to get on a plane outweighs that, IMO.

I agree to the fullest! I don't care how many UNC fans are where, or anti-Duke fans are where. There are going to be fans of both teams, and haters of both teams, wherever they play. Raleigh and Charlotte would be nice for those of us who live within driving distance of the areans. Otherwise, I don't really care where they play. (Although Tampa is my least favorite. Duke's never played well there.)

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
This is one reason the ACC Tournament will never go back there.

Thank goodness for that.

duke211
02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Is the loss going to help us

yancem
02-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Yes! Obviously it gives Tenn another loss which helps Duke but it may also both diminish the impact of their victory over Memphis and knock a little shine off of Memphis' impressive record. Of course we still have to take care of our own business.

duke211
02-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Tell you the truth im scared about the nc state game and Virgina

duke2x
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I think they are very, very good, but there are 2 reasons why we would not:

1. Duke is paired up with BYU in its pod. (Raleigh is Fri-Sun and BYU won't play Sun.)

2. Georgetown has a higher seed than Duke. (Georgetown can't play in DC. Duke probably ends up in Raleigh over Georgetown if both have equal seeds.)

yancem
02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

1. Duke is paired up with BYU in its pod. (Raleigh is Fri-Sun and BYU won't play Sun.)

2. Georgetown has a higher seed than Duke. (Georgetown can't play in DC. Duke probably ends up in Raleigh over Georgetown if both have equal seeds.)

Who is very good and how do you have BYU in Duke's pod?

DU82
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM

It would be highly unlikely that the committee would "punish" a higher seed in order to accommodate BYU. BYU won't have enough conflicts (in seeding/arrangements) to have to affect a lot of other teams. They'll find a TH-Sat pairing for them. The committee, if I remember correctly, can, under their rules, move a team up or down one seed to help with the pairings. That gives them the flexibility to fit in all their rules.

The Georgetown factor is another issue. I believe it's still a "rule" to accommodate host schools and make sure their team doesn't play the same day as the games in their arena. That allows their staff/volunteers to be able to watch the game played by their team. But there's three other F-Sun first/second round sites, and I would be surprised to find them placed in Raleigh unless, as you mention, they are a higher seed than UNC, the second place ACC team.

duke2x
02-28-2008, 09:59 AM
The good news is that BYU is probably going to finish 25-6 in the regular season, so they aren't likely to be a 7/8 seed. I see them at a 5 or 6.

dukegirlinsc
02-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Any top 25 team losing will help, actually. (It won't hurt, that's for sure.) As long as Duke keeps winning! :D

Turtleboy
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
1. Duke and UNC both earn #1 seeds
Since Memphis, Tennessee and Texas all have stronger resumes, at this point, IMO, this would only happened if all of the following occur:
a) Duke and UNC both win the remainder of their ACC games
How would that work?

dukemsu
02-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Devils as the #2 in the Midwest for a couple of reasons (unless we can wrest the #1 in the East from the Holes). Funny how the press just loves to project the Holes as being in that spot as if it's some sort of birthright.

1. Selfishly, I have tickets to the Detroit regional and would love to see the Devils in the D again (I was at the 91 regional at the Silverdome when UConn bounced Laettner's head off the floor and we advanced to the Final 4).

2. If Duke's in the Midwest, that likely puts either Memphis or Tennessee on the 1 line in that region. Not afraid of either of them. The only 1 I really don't want to see in Duke's region is UCLA.

I had bought these tickets in the hopes that either Duke or MSU would get there. Needless to say, the Spartans will not be afforded the luxury of being close to home given their recent performance. I do not want to see my own personal armageddon (Duke vs. MSU) like I had to watch in 94, 99, and 05.

dukemsu

duke211
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Do we need to win any acc games and how many to lock in at least the two seed?

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Do we need to win any acc games and how many to lock in at least the two seed?

I would say 0, but I wouldn't want to find out if we lost on Friday. So lets just say let's try not to find out by losing on Friday. :)

Troublemaker
03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
We'll almost certainly be in Raleigh. Unfortunately, so will the Heels. Get ready for a road crowd the first two rounds. I'll want to commit murder when I hear those Heel fans booing our team.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
We'll almost certainly be in Raleigh. Unfortunately, so will the Heels. Get ready for a road crowd the first two rounds. I'll want to commit murder when I hear those Heel fans booing our team.

Agreed. I do not think that being in Raleigh with the Heels is a good thing. I would rather play in a more neutral setting.

duke211
03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I have four tickets already and if there is any left I will by 2 from the university with the Iron Dukes, I think it will work both ways since I will be yelling at travel hansblah and his best friend green, I like how Green threw in his two sense after the game, isnt his dad a drug dealer?