PDA

View Full Version : ergonomic keyboard recommendations?

hc5duke
02-24-2008, 11:29 PM
anyone know of a good ergonomic keyboard?

I think the real issue might be the small keyboard on my 12" laptop (time to replace it anyway... it's about 3.5 years old), but my right pinkie and ring fingers are hurting real bad when I type. It started with my right pinkie, so I had been using the ring finger (enter, apostrophe) and left hand (LShift/LCtrl instead of RShift/RCtrl) instead, but recently my ring finger started to hurt as well :( I'm now typing with a full-size keyboard attached to my laptop, we'll see how this goes. In the mean time, in case this doesn't assuage the situation, anyone have advice on keyboards?

What I would REALLY like is one of those Kinesis keyboards:
http://www.zenoli.net/wp-content/2007/01/kinesis-contoured-keyboard.jpg
but I'm not sure about forking over $300 just yet... so I'm looking at MS and Logitech keyboards right now.

DevilAlumna
02-25-2008, 02:13 AM
I've been using MS natural keyboards for the past 4 years, and love them. Having media player controls on the keyboard is unexpectedly useful; I occasionally find myself using other built-in shortcuts (usually the calculator.)

I like the wireless mouse/keyboard package; wouldn't go back to wired. If you're attaching to a laptop, you might want to go bluetooth, so you don't have to have a separate wireless receiver.

Another ergonomic issue -- be sure your elbows and wrists are properly aligned to the keyboard. (But if it's finger specific, I bet it's keyboard-related.) Good luck -- ergo-related pains suck!

xenic
02-25-2008, 04:20 AM

I think the real issue might be the small keyboard on my 12" laptop (time to replace it anyway... it's about 3.5 years old), but my right pinkie and ring fingers are hurting real bad when I type. It started with my right pinkie, so I had been using the ring finger (enter, apostrophe) and left hand (LShift/LCtrl instead of RShift/RCtrl) instead, but recently my ring finger started to hurt as well :( I'm now typing with a full-size keyboard attached to my laptop, we'll see how this goes. In the mean time, in case this doesn't assuage the situation, anyone have advice on keyboards?

but I'm not sure about forking over $300 just yet... so I'm looking at MS and Logitech keyboards right now.
One of the other grad students in my program has one of those... I think he likes it, but it is almost impossible for anyone else to use.

JG Nothing
02-25-2008, 01:24 PM

I had a similar problem using the keyboard on a Dell Inspiron 700 (small, lightweight laptop). My fingers were constantly sore and I had pains in my upper back. I added a Logitech Cordless Comfort Laser two years ago and I've been pain free ever since.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/167&cl=us,en
The angle on the split keyboard is very comfortable and easy to use. The wireless technology makes it convenient, particularly the mouse.

hc5duke
02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I've been using MS natural keyboards for the past 4 years, and love them.

Figures you recommend the MS one :D I actually used to have one of those like 5 years ago (corded, PS2) and I'm pretty sure I liked it. I might give the new cordless one a try.

I had a similar problem using the keyboard on a Dell Inspiron 700

Yup, that's the one I have (700m). Maybe we can get a class-action lawsuit together ;)

YmoBeThere
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM

Not to make light of your situation(I've had wrist trouble before switching to a trackball) but are you certain your troubles aren't caused by your car? I mean it is a Ford and all...

hc5duke
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Not to make light of your situation(I've had wrist trouble before switching to a trackball) but are you certain your troubles aren't caused by your car? I mean it is a Ford and all...

you know, you might be onto something. the car goes too fast and I might be gripping the steering wheel a bit too hard... i guess i'll have to get the KITT edition that's sure to come out, and it probably comes with a more ergonomic steering wheel.

YmoBeThere
02-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Nice recovery, I didn't see that one coming. :)

hc5duke
02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Nice recovery, I didn't see that one coming. :)

Just out of curiosity, what's your ride? I gotta have some ammo, too :-p

YmoBeThere
02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
I've gone non-American. Audi A4, I figured I needed the all-wheel drive up here in New England. I did work for part of GM(until they sold it, yep GMAC) and have had a couple of chances to talk with Rick. If I could have any car from the pony car era, I would be driving a '67 Firebird convertible with a 400.

hc5duke
02-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I've gone non-American. Audi A4, I figured I needed the all-wheel drive up here in New England. I did work for part of GM(until they sold it, yep GMAC) and have had a couple of chances to talk with Rick. If I could have any car from the pony car era, I would be driving a '67 Firebird convertible with a 400.

Good choice. I'd probably go with Mach I Mustang (gotta love those huge boats!), but my guilty pleasure choice is a GM -- El Camino with a big block engine. There's plenty of those out here in Nor-Cal, but I don't think the wife would ever want me to get my hands on one of those ;)