PDA

View Full Version : Re: "Just Asking"

Faustus
02-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Respecting the question on the main page about who got switched away from the St. Johns game yesterday, I live in central Virginia and CBS switched my station away with about 15 min. to go in the second half. A sizeable lead at that time, but not overwhelmingly massive. I'd actually worked that day so only got home about when the second half began. Thus CBS provided me live about 5 minutes of the game. At least I recorded the first half, and just finished watching that today. True, the Kansas-OK St. game turned out to be a very close and important game, but still...

And this certainly does not bode well for the upcoming NCAA coverage, although I suppose I won't mind getting switched away all that much if that means commanding leads.

dukegirlinsc
02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I DVR'ed the game, and when I started to watch the replay this morning, the Kentucky game was on at the beginning of the broadcast...with only a few minutes left. (And a close game, if I'm not mistaken.) They switched over to the Duke game at tip-off. I would have been irate if they'd switched over from a 10-point or less difference game, to the start of a new game. That's one thing that's good about ESPN's coverage, they show games in their entirety, for the most part.

arnie
02-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Living in NC, we managed to miss the 1st 10.5 minutes due to the foul fest of VPI and GaT that would never end. I was more amazed at the contrast between the production and overall quality of RayCom (VPI game) and CBS. On HighDef the Duke game was so clear I could identify anyone sitting in the 1st 10 rows at Cameron - with the VPI game, on the same tv, Goldberg had hair.

We did get the entire last 3/4 of the Duke game.

rickshack
02-24-2008, 02:49 PM
The game was switched here in Columbia,SC.
We were NOT happy campers.

jzp5079
02-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I got switched on the high def version of the channel - but not on the regular one. never had that happen before.

pacificrounder
02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
In Stockton, California we were treated to Kansas/OSU for the entire timeslot. Awful.

bjornolf
02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I live in VA just outside DC and I got switched to the Kansas/OkSt. game with just over 14 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Man, was I ticked, since I was watching it on about a 10 minute delay with my DVR. So, I immediately switched over to my NY national feed CBS which had the rest of the game, I guess since SJU is a NY institution, so I only missed about 7 minutes of actual game time. I was still pretty upset to loose that time, though.

Karl Beem
02-24-2008, 03:03 PM
We were switched in Atlanta. They also switched away from the end of a close UK game. I do not recall any updates of either the UK game or our game while they were showing Kansas.

buddy
02-24-2008, 03:05 PM
In Philadelphia we got switched early in the second half, with the score (I think) 60-37. This has happened before to us with CBS. At least Kansas/OSU was a good game, but it is frustrating.

DevilAlumna
02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
No Duke love in Seattle; the game wasn't even on the schedule, with the CBS affiliate showing the Kansas game.

grannyduke
02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
We got switched in DC. I as enjoing watching them have a good time and had no interest in the other game. I kept watch hoping they would switch back at least during time outs but no such luck.

grad_devil
02-24-2008, 03:15 PM
The first part of my recording was a tight Kentucky game; I would've been seriously upset had I wanted to watch the end of that game, which was a nail biter. Fortunately, I couldn't care less about the wildcats :)

My game got switched to Kansas/OSU (or whoever it was) early in the second half of the Duke game. I live in Western NC.

Anybody find an address where we can write to politely express our disgruntlement?

--grad_devil

VTBaller03
02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
It was switched in Vermont as well. I was quite annoyed becuase I had planned my afternoon around the Duke game. Not only that, but I can't seem to find any kind of link or phone number to complain to CBS either, funny how that works.:mad:

MarkD83
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Here in Richmond the regional ACC game between VT and GT cut into the start of the game. I watched the game from about the 11 minute mark until the end of the first half. CBS then switched at about the 15 minute mark of the second half to the Kansas game.

Channing
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
I only came in to watch the second half. But in NY I had the entire second half on tv.

BlueDevilBaby
02-24-2008, 04:46 PM
How does NY get the entire second half but we in ACC country get switched. Wake up, CBS!:mad:

Kathy S
02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
The CBS affiliate in Miami-Fort Lauderdale also switched to the Kansas - OK State game.

jrvcace
02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
I live in Western North Carolina and was switched to the Kansas/Oklahoma St. game with about 15 minutes left in the 2nd half. Infuriated, I was forced to listen to the rest of the game online.

In response to VTBaller's comment about not being able to find a place to complain to CBS, you can go to http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/info_faq_contact_us.shtml# and scroll down to the bottom to Feedback. There's a link on the Feedback form for comments about CBS Sports.

pamtar
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
No switch here in Wilmington - we do get the Raleigh feed though.

YmoBeThere
02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Here in the Boston area, we were switched.

rthomas
02-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Switched in N WV and Pittsburgh. So I watched Tiger play golf instead.

Madrasdukie
02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Couldn't see the second half.

dyedwab
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Here in DC we got switched when everyone else did. It was an absurd decision since DC is both an ACC market (UMD) and a Big East market (St. John's).

I realize that Kansas and OSU was a "better" contest, but frankly, I flipped to one of the "bracket busters" games on ESPN and ESPN2. At least I don't get to watch those teams on a regular basis on Fox or ESPN - like I do both OSU and Kansas

duke74
02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
How does NY get the entire second half but we in ACC country get switched. Wake up, CBS!:mad:

Possibly because SJU is a NYC team?

weezie
02-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Here in DC we got switched when everyone else did.

Yup, out west of DC, too.

tpcello7
02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
In CT, we got switched early in the 2nd half. also, they left a close game (I forget which) to show the start of the duke game. For both, I was quite surprised there was not at the least a score given in a corner of the screen, or any brief updates at commercial breaks.

Teton Jack
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
In the Nashville, TN area, the network blew off Duke and put on some lame Big 12 game. Even if it was a close game, it was an unjustified insult.

duke9094
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Got switched in Macon, GA. Was not happy!

lazee
02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
My DVR ran out of space (my fault for not having cleared the other recorded programs) halfway through, so I was only able to watch the entire 1st half (started on time) in NY. Don't know about the 2nd half, but according to the poster above from NY, he was able to watch the entire 2nd half. Suffice it to say, NY was able to get the entire game.

FishStick
02-24-2008, 05:52 PM
in Beaufort, NC. Strange considering wilmington wasn't!

MarineTwinsDad
02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Delaware went the way of the world, losing the Duke game in the second half, as did others. Nothing was ever said about the switch later, nor were any updates on the St John's vs Duke game ever shown. This was very disappointing.

DukePA
02-24-2008, 06:15 PM
in Beaufort, NC. Strange considering wilmington wasn't!

Same for Emerald Isle, but at least we got to see most of the first half and the end of the game.

fitimi1
02-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Same for all of Central Florida. Also could not find any number or e-mail address to complain to CBS Sports. CBS always pulls this during March Madness, but starting in February is a little much.

However, don't guess I will have to worry about it this year as the local CBS station in Central Florida has just last week informed the local cable carrier that unless the cable company starts paying them a fee, they will "pull the plug" on March 17th. Am almost certain nothing will be resolved. We cannot receive Fox Sports for the same reasons, so do not get to see any ACC Sunday night games nor for that matter, over half of the Orlando Magic games.

I would switch to DISH, but live in a condo complex that frowns on having dishes attached to buildings.

chattpanther
02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
We got switched in Athens Ga. Told us that they would keep us posted on the Duke game and never showed it again.

ugadevil
02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
We got switched in Athens Ga. Told us that they would keep us posted on the Duke game and never showed it again.

Well this has become a fun thread for finding out where everyone lives! Chattpanther - you're in Athens? Affiliated with the university?

mgtr
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I would switch to DISH, but live in a condo complex that frowns on having dishes attached to buildings.

The condo cannot legally prevent you from having a dish attached to your property (balcony, etc.). However, having a sat feed probably would not have helped you unless you have the national feed.

Cameron
02-24-2008, 08:05 PM
The switch was made here in Toledo, Ohio, at around the 14 minute mark of the second half. I called the CBS Broadcasting Group number in Manhattan over 20 times to help curb my hysteria (we're talking about a person who, when he was younger, would cry when Duke games were not shown/cut into by preceding contests), but had no luck. Kept getting Sorry, all circuits are currently busy... the state of Kentucky, I am assuming:D

After recalling what happened to 'Cats fans earlier that day, I felt much better about the situation. I would have crushed my TV box with a ball bat.

Indoor66
02-24-2008, 08:06 PM
The condo cannot legally prevent you from having a dish attached to your property (balcony, etc.). However, having a sat feed probably would not have helped you unless you have the national feed.

You might well be wrong on that issue. It is my understanding that the Federal rule applies to rental units but not to condo restrictions on attaching to the exterior of buildings.

oldnavy
02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Lost the game on the HD channel, but it remained on the local CBS affiliate.

Ben63
02-24-2008, 08:17 PM
And this certainly does not bode well for the upcoming NCAA coverage, although I suppose I won't mind getting switched away all that much if that means commanding leads.

But at least you can watch the game on the computer.

Saratoga2
02-24-2008, 08:22 PM
I live in VA just outside DC and I got switched to the Kansas/OkSt. game with just over 14 minutes to go in the 2nd half. Man, was I ticked, since I was watching it on about a 10 minute delay with my DVR. So, I immediately switched over to my NY national feed CBS which had the rest of the game, I guess since SJU is a NY institution, so I only missed about 7 minutes of actual game time. I was still pretty upset to loose that time, though.

The game was switched with about 15 minutes left in the half. I tried to find an e-mail address so that I could at least complain. CBS does not make a complaint address evident.

Ben63
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
For all of us who want to complain to CBS...

http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/fb_global_form.shtml

Enjoy

Lets flood thier inbox with angry Duke e-mails. Mine is in.:)

DWP
02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
We lost coverage of the game at about the 15:00 mark of the second half in Gaffney, SC. I kept thinking they would return to the Duke game, but it did not happen.

jrladd
02-24-2008, 08:56 PM
In Seattle our CBS affiliate chose to show the Kansas-OSU game. I don't know why, as Duke is a bigger name here. But that's better than in prior years when they chose to show an infomercial instead of a Duke game on one occasion, and to show Saturday morning cartoons instead of a Duke game that was early in our time zone on another.

But I hate the CBS network's coverage of college basketball in general. Their announcers aren't as good, they load their broadcasts with ads for their own primetime shows during even brief pauses in the action (on top of commercial ads), and they hype the Masters golf tournament ad naseum (it's hard to imagine that many college basketball fans watch golf on TV). Not to mention wandering off into other subjects while a game is still in progress, and failing to keep us informed about foul counts.

ESPN does a better overall job, although they often (but not always) schedule game broadcasts to begin on two hour intervals, which rarely allows viewers to see the start of the following game(s).

For all the games ESPN (or even Fox) broadcast during the season, they deserve to take over the NCAA Tournament, but I guess CBS' money has won out so far.

happydays1949
02-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, the one good thing about living in Greensboro is we got to see the game until the finish.

Mudge
02-24-2008, 09:57 PM
They switched us TO the Duke game for the start of the game, when Kentucky was in a 2-point game with Arkansas, with about 2 minutes left on the game clock-- I was laughing thinking about how bad the CBS switchboard must have lit up from our area (on the fringe of KY-lovin' land) at that-- until the last laugh was on me-- after about 1 minute of the Duke game, we were switched back to UK/Arky, which took forever with fouls and timeouts, and then, when the game was over, CBS ran about 10 commercials, then went BACK to the (now-empty) UK arena to give us a re-cap of the game, before finally going back to the advertised programming-- the Duke game, which was now at ~14 minute mark of the first half. To add insult to injury, CBS cut away from Duke's game to OK State/Kansas early in the second half of Duke, so we got about 20 minutes of actual game time broadcast here.

A funny side note-- when CBS came back to the UK game, after the errant cutaway, CBS had a shot of the UK bench, with about the first 5-6 guys doing that "arms-interlocked, we're all famblee" thing that (scholastic) teams often do when they are trying to win a tense, close game-- and the 6th guy (in just his uniform) is turning to the next guy (who is still wearing his warm-ups) to try to interlock arms with him, and the warm-up wearing guy looks at the other guy with obvious disdain, as if to say "What are we-- in kindergarten or something? I ain't doing that crap!"... it was almost an NBA kind of reaction to HS rah-rah stuff.... I thought it was pretty funny, but maybe it explains why UK (with still tons of talent) has lost to some teams like Belmont Abbey this year.

camion
02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
I got switched in Greenville, SC.

Missed the first 1:30 due to UK-Ark.

Missed the last 14:30 due to KU-OK State.

southgater
02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Watching the broadcast CBS signal from Philly, they cut away to the Kansas game with about 15 minutes left in the second half of the Duke game. I was a bit late for the start of the Duke game, so not certain what happened with the end of the Kentucky game.

hurleyfor3
02-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I was in Memphis this weekend. Cbs switched away a few minutes into the second half.

I'm not sure why it hasn't gotten into any of your heads that cbs sucks. Oh well, you'll realize it once the tournament starts.

yancem
02-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Count me among those who were switched to the Kansas game. I understand that the Kansas game was both a closer game and more important in the scheme of things but when you schedule to air a game, people make their plans accordingly. Some people are less fans of the game than the teams playing, some people may only have regional or conference interests, and some people may have gone to a bar to get a satellite feed but when you switch the game mid stream there are only so many options available to the fans:(

blazindw
02-25-2008, 12:38 AM

Condos cannot bar you from having a satellite dish, but they can place restrictions on fixing it to your property, size, etc. In the condo I rent in DC, my roommate and I had to put our dish on a tripod because we were not allowed to fix it to the balcony railing. On the contrary, in Miami, everyone in our building had to get cable through Directv, as the local Directv provider had a contract for the entire building.

mgtr
02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
On the contrary, in Miami, everyone in our building had to get cable through Directv, as the local Directv provider had a contract for the entire building.

The Condo may say that is so, but that doesn't make it true. The FCC ruling is pretty clear -- no condo, no HOA, no local government, etc. can prevent you from putting up a dish of 1 meter or less on your own property. However, if your condo faces the wrong direction, you are in trouble, because you have no right at all to put it on common property. I went through this with my HOA, who insisted that I could not put up a dish if it was visible from the street. I put it up, they complained, I gave them a copy of the FCC ruling, they grumbled but gave in.
To read the whole FCC deal, see http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Dukiedevil
02-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Was NOT switched, but have DirecTV...

mgtr
02-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Dukie Devil-
Interesting that you were not switched in KY on Directv, but those of us with Directv in Central Florida were switched. Now there is no question that they switched us to a more interesting/competitive game, but to a Duke fan nothing is more interesting than a Duke game!
I am not a big NFL fan, but it seems that they have that figured out fairly well. Before the games start on Sunday, people know which game they will get (assuming they do not have Sunday Ticket, in which case they get all games). If you start out watching, say Dolphins/Jets, do you stay with that game all the way through, or do they jerk you off to another (more interesting) game? My guess is that you get to stay with the game where you started. BB should be handled the same way. And if not, they should plug in the running score of the game they left (at a bare minimum). I know they have that capability, since they do it during March Madness.

astoria26
02-25-2008, 02:25 AM
To anyone who got the full game - or even the last 15 minutes - would you be kind enough to sell the DVD to me? I live near Chicago and got the Kansas - OKie St game, so I couldn't watch it at all. I do have a friend in Maryland who taped the game, but they got switched over at the 15 min mark too.

Thanks!

mgtr
02-25-2008, 02:29 AM
I'll second that. I would gladly buy a DVD of the second half, since CBS cheated me out of what (I didn't pay for). I have a paypal account.

gotham devil
02-25-2008, 04:43 AM

WCBS in NY, CBS' largest O&O, kept it in HD for the entire game.

diesel
02-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Here's my complaint to CBS on the form given above:

Your categories for complaints (to CBS TV) need some work: I notice there is no category for sports, although now I understand why. And I’m writing to complain about something I didn’t see on your network: namely, 75% of the second half of the Duke/St. Johns basketball game.

When one follows a team, it is important to see how it develops game after game. You deprived me of this opportunity and there was no alternative to see the game. I think this is an entirely amateurish way to approach sports on TV and I hope your competitors get a bigger role in broadcasting college basketball games in future.

I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I shall now make a conscious effort to watch fewer CBS shows when the opportunity presents itself.

bjornolf
02-25-2008, 08:17 AM
I have Directv, and I get both my local feeds and the national feeds. This allows me to watch a lot more NFL and college basketball, AND we can TiVo three shows that are slotted for the same time (she doesn't lose out on Grey's Anatomy or Ugly Betty, and I can TiVo Lost at the later time on the LA feed...this is just an example, as I can't think of an exact instance since the writer's strike has solved that little problem). Since I had the NY feed, I was able to watch the end of the game. Admittedly, it costs $10 a month ($2.50 per feed, and I think it's going up to $12 total next month), but I've found it worth it just in Duke games and NFL games not missed over the years.

EarlJam
02-25-2008, 08:51 AM
The game was switched in my Atlanta area code of 30327 early in the second half. I thought I had pressed the wrong button on my remote. When reality set in, I was steamed..........and ready to kill.

-EarlJam

freshmanjs
02-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Here's my complaint to CBS on the form given above:

Your categories for complaints (to CBS TV) need some work: I notice there is no category for sports, although now I understand why. And I’m writing to complain about something I didn’t see on your network: namely, 75% of the second half of the Duke/St. Johns basketball game.

When one follows a team, it is important to see how it develops game after game. You deprived me of this opportunity and there was no alternative to see the game. I think this is an entirely amateurish way to approach sports on TV and I hope your competitors get a bigger role in broadcasting college basketball games in future.

I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I shall now make a conscious effort to watch fewer CBS shows when the opportunity presents itself.

Ok -- I wanted to watch the 2nd half as much as the next guy, but I don't really understand this argument. Wouldn't a big-12 fan have a much more legitimate complaint if their game wasn't shown? especially after it beacme clear that it was a close game and the duke game wasn't? i guess since CBS can only show one game at a time, eventually everyone will have to boycott ??

Lid
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Although I was extremely disappointed to be switched (also in Atlanta), I can understand that the Ok St - Kansas game was more competitive. (Yay for that fact!) My big complaint is that they promised updates and didn't deliver. It seems ludicrous to switch away and then not put a box in the corner with the score, just as they do during the tournament. I would have been even more irate as KY fan, though, getting switched away from a close game...

TwoaT
02-25-2008, 10:38 AM
After moving to TX from NC in spring of 2000, I was SHOCKED not to get every Duke game -- even in the NCAA tournament (always KU or Texas). Now I guess I'm just used to watching games online (don't get the Sunday night game either...).

But with regards to Saturday's game, not only was the KU/OSU game a really great college basketball game, it was pretty important for Duke fans as well: with both Kansas and Duke in the top 10, who knows what loss is going to send a team from a 1 seed to a 2 seed, or a 2 seed to a 3 seed. For that reason, after seeing the progress of Duke/StJ, I was glad to get to see KU and OSU -- and root hard for that Kansas loss!

Bartt

diesel
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Ok -- I wanted to watch the 2nd half as much as the next guy, but I don't really understand this argument. Wouldn't a big-12 fan have a much more legitimate complaint if their game wasn't shown? especially after it beacme clear that it was a close game and the duke game wasn't? i guess since CBS can only show one game at a time, eventually everyone will have to boycott ??

You don't understand this argument? Let big-12 fans complain if they get equivalent treatment. I'm not a big-12 fan.

My complaint is about the monopoly CBS had on broadcasting this game, which precluded alternative access. If it had been ESPN, SN or even Raycom I'm sure I could have continued to watch the Duke/St. Johns game on some alternative channel on FIOS TV. I didn't have this opportunity.

Johnboy
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM

Same thing happened here in Washington, NC.

should_be_working
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Kentucky resident here (but #1 "I hate UK" fan) I found it hysterical that the UK game got cut off with only a few minutes left... and to Duke nonetheless. I could practically hear the onslaught of cursing, remote control slamming and TV pounding from the big blue nation.

But karma came back to bite me in butt, as my dukies got cut off with 15 or 16 minutes left to go in the second half. I've never seen a game get pulled that quickly in place of another game - the last few minutes yes, but not the nearly the entire second half. After seeing two losses i NEEDED to see this blowout. I guess that's what i got for laughing and enjoying the UK game getting cut :(

EDIT: and why one station gets to broadcast all games in the tournament is ludicrous. Much rather ESPN and ABC get the coverage - at least ESPN would cover all our games ;)

bcato
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
We were switched in Birmingham, also missed the end of the Ky game

Jfrosh
02-25-2008, 12:14 PM
As has been noted by others, in Central Florida on Direct TV I was swithced as well. I didn't have a big problem with it though. The networks want the highest audience and it makes sense to switch to a close game instead of a blowout. However, I am not a Kentucky fan (THANK GOD), but there is no way they can justify switching away from the Kentucky game with 10 seconds to go. If that were Duke in a 2 point game, I think my head would have exploded.

Dukiedevil
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
As has been noted by others, in Central Florida on Direct TV I was swithced as well. I didn't have a big problem with it though. The networks want the highest audience and it makes sense to switch to a close game instead of a blowout. However, I am not a Kentucky fan (THANK GOD), but there is no way they can justify switching away from the Kentucky game with 10 seconds to go. If that were Duke in a 2 point game, I think my head would have exploded.

Ususally directv gives you your local network's feed. You can request to recieve the national feeds (East Coast/West Coast), but it has to be approved from your local affiliate. I requested the national feed from all the networks near Lexington, KY because they did not offer the HD feeds through the satellite. Only CBS approved me for whatever reason, but I was approved to recieve the East coast HD feed. That channel showed the whole game.

bjornolf
02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
yeah, I got lucky. My first week in my new house, my local feeds were all messed up. I called and told them this, and they offered to turn on the national feeds until my local feeds cleaned up during the next download cycle. They told me to just call when my local feeds came in so I wouldn't get charged. I just never called them back. I've had all the feeds for about 3 years now, and I pay for them, but I love them!

If you want them and don't want to lie, just wait until the next big storm when service goes funny. Call up, tell them you're not getting your local channels, and tell them you REALLY want to see show "X". Ask if they could activate the national feeds so you could see it. If you're lucky, maybe they'll do it for you. I still don't understand the big deal. I can understand not letting you refuse your local feeds for the national feeds, but if you're willing to pay for them all, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to. It's just un-American to not allow you to PAY for a service!

jrvcace
02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Your categories for complaints (to CBS TV) need some work: I notice there is no category for sports...

There's a link in the text at the top of the form for CBS Sports.

Lavabe
02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
The game was switched in my Atlanta area code of 30327 early in the second half. I thought I had pressed the wrong button on my remote. When reality set in, I was steamed..........and ready to kill.

-EarlJam

Same situation in the suburbs of Atlanta. Sorry it took so long to reply to this thread. My initial reaction on the snrubchat was an expletive-laden tirade. My wife's reaction (watching downstairs) was more vocal.

Pinheads at CBS!!

Say ... what happened in the OkSt game?

WHO CARES?!!?!?!?!?!

Better leave it at that, before I start earning BANNED points.
Boos,
Lavabe

sagegrouse
02-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Ususally directv gives you your local network's feed. You can request to recieve the national feeds (East Coast/West Coast), but it has to be approved from your local affiliate. I requested the national feed from all the networks near Lexington, KY because they did not offer the HD feeds through the satellite. Only CBS approved me for whatever reason, but I was approved to receive the East coast HD feed. That channel showed the whole game.

I get the national feeds for both Fox and CBS (but not ABC or NBC). Howsomever, it is the western satellite (actually it is the local feed out of LA), so it was no help on Saturday.

XM radio did pick up the Duke radio broadcast.

sagegrouse

Richard Berg
02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Living in NC, we managed to miss the 1st 10.5 minutes due to the foul fest of VPI and GaT that would never end. I was more amazed at the contrast between the production and overall quality of RayCom (VPI game) and CBS. On HighDef the Duke game was so clear I could identify anyone sitting in the 1st 10 rows at Cameron - with the VPI game, on the same tv, Goldberg had hair.

We did get the entire last 3/4 of the Duke game.

Same here in Chapel Hell. Man, was that Raycom broadcast bad; and man oh man did the game drag on forever.

Classof06
02-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Kentucky resident here (but #1 "I hate UK" fan) I found it hysterical that the UK game got cut off with only a few minutes left... and to Duke nonetheless. I could practically hear the onslaught of cursing, remote control slamming and TV pounding from the big blue nation.

But karma came back to bite me in butt, as my dukies got cut off with 15 or 16 minutes left to go in the second half. I've never seen a game get pulled that quickly in place of another game - the last few minutes yes, but not the nearly the entire second half. After seeing two losses i NEEDED to see this blowout. I guess that's what i got for laughing and enjoying the UK game getting cut :(

EDIT: and why one station gets to broadcast all games in the tournament is ludicrous. Much rather ESPN and ABC get the coverage - at least ESPN would cover all our games ;)

Haha, so true. They switched games down in Miami as well. When they cut off the UK game for the start of the Duke game, I specifically remember thinking "Oh, the people in the state of Kentucky will love this!". That made me think twice about getting mad when they switched from our game.

As a Duke fan, I obviously wanted to see the rest of our game. But seeing the Kansas game wasn't the end of the world. I think everyone knew Duke had the game well in hand and as soon as they switched from CIS, I went to ESPN.com and opened up a real-time score for our game. It is what it is.

skopi
02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
To those who are complaining about being switched to the Oklahoma St/Kansas, I guess you are NOT college basketball fans, but just Duke fans.

CBS is of course going to play the game which keeps most of their audience interested. In the NC market and presumably in NY, they would keep the game. Otherwise, why would they keep a blow on tv when people would change the channel?

I understand the Kansas game was a great game and as someone else pointed out, a good result for Duke's seeding anyway.

CBS has 2 or 3 regional games at the same time so they can switch to a more interesting game. It is all about economics...

Karl Beem
02-25-2008, 08:20 PM
To those who are complaining about being switched to the Oklahoma St/Kansas, I guess you are NOT college basketball fans, but just Duke fans.

CBS is of course going to play the game which keeps most of their audience interested. In the NC market and presumably in NY, they would keep the game. Otherwise, why would they keep a blow on tv when people would change the channel?

I understand the Kansas game was a great game and as someone else pointed out, a good result for Duke's seeding anyway.

CBS has 2 or 3 regional games at the same time so they can switch to a more interesting game. It is all about economics...

So why did they switch away from a tied UK game in the last minute? Anyway, it wasn't CBS but their affiliates. Each affiliate had its own behavior. CBS wasn't prepared to do any kind of split screen production.

mgtr
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
As others have mentioned, both ESPN and Fox are prepared for such problems, and put one of the games on another channel. CBS, if they are serious about BB, needs mores channels.

BlueHeaven
02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
We got switched in Florida. Very unhappily so.

camion
02-25-2008, 10:06 PM

You guess wrong. I am a basketball fan. If I had been expecting the Kansas-Ok State game I would have been fine with it, but that's not the game I tuned in to see. They showed 24 minutes of the the scheduled game, Duke-St. John's. That's not even trying, and that was on a North Carolina station where I was watching.

I am glad however that you explained CBS's scheduling strategy because they certainly didn't. They switched with about 5 seconds notice, no warning or prep. That's amateurish.

They promised updates on the Duke-St John's game when they switched. There were none. I might have been okay with the switch if they'd actually followed through with updates. I still wanted to know how the scheduled game was going. We got nada after the switch.

The Kansas-Ok State game ran about about 15 minutes longer than the Duke-St John's game. It wasn't like they were switching over to catch an exciting ending. They essentially switched at halftime when there was no way to tell if there would be an exciting ending or not.

Finally, it's possible to win the ratings battle on a weekend and lose the war over the course of the season. If they operate in a similar fashion on other occasions they will alienate a lot of people. It's like the old saying, "Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate." You just have to really piss people off once and you've lost them.

mgtr
02-25-2008, 10:19 PM

If I go to the movies to see some chick flick or a comedy/adventure film, I don't expect to be switched halfway though to There Will Be Blood. Even though it may be a terrific movie (don't know), it wasn't the movie I chose. When CBS switched to another game from Duke, I watched, and I enjoyed the game, but it was just one more notch in my gun against CBS.

dcgirl
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I tried multiple ways to email CBS on their website, etc. about the coverage in the DC area....I finally got a response from a person that the email address to complain to about programming complaints is:

audsvcs@cbs.com

GO DUKE!!!!