PDA

View Full Version : Duke games in San Fran

unwrinkled ear
02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm arriving in San Fran (SFO) on March 5th around 12:30 and need to find a place to go to watch the Duke game against Virginia, hopefully someplace on the way to 1100 Pine St. 94109. I'll have my suitcase and another bag, so a supercrowded place is not ideal, but it'd be nice to have a decent snackk and relax and watch the game while I wait for my pal to get off work and join me.

ANywhere b/t the aiport and this area is desirable - and I'll be travelling by public transport.

GO DEVILS!

SilkyJ
02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm arriving in San Fran (SFO) on March 5th around 12:30 and need to find a place to go to watch the Duke game against Virginia, hopefully someplace on the way to 1100 Pine St. 94109. I'll have my suitcase and another bag, so a supercrowded place is not ideal, but it'd be nice to have a decent snackk and relax and watch the game while I wait for my pal to get off work and join me.

ANywhere b/t the aiport and this area is desirable - and I'll be travelling by public transport.

GO DEVILS!

First off, let me preface by saying that I can't help with the "finding a place that isn't packed." If you want to see a Duke game out here in a bar, it has to be a big sports bar, generally.

The places I would recommend are either Norton's Vault in the financial district (500 Sacramento St, is the address) or Bayside Sports bar in the Marina (1787 Union St). The Bus Stop (1901 Union St) is another option, and it is down the street a few blocks from Bayside.

I have never been to norton's vault to watch a duke game, but I know other people do. I prefer the other two places, but then again I live close to them, whereas Norton's vault will be closer to the address you gave.

If you want to play it by ear, feel free to PM me and we can exchange contact info and I can help you find a good spot to watch the game based on where the crowds are that day (and maybe where the Alumni Network is officially or unofficially watching the game). I am friends with two of the alumni coordinators out here and am definitely a big "enabler" in terms of getting people together to watch games in the area (young alumni, mostly).

Twigmas
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I thought Bayside had closed.

SilkyJ
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought Bayside had closed.

I was there a week or two ago, so I suppose it could have closed in the last week or so, but I haven't heard anything about it...

Twigmas
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I no longer live in SF, so I can't confirm, but I heard it closed unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago. Their website is gone, and phone number is disconnected. A couple of comments on other websites mention it being closed. I know nothing definitive though.