PDA

View Full Version : Studio 60

ehdg
03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Just curious if anyone has heard if and when this show might reappear on NBC's schedule. I do recall NBC had ordered 4 more episodes. It's been at least a month since it's been on the air and I really do miss it. I liked the show, the charachters and their story lines. There is nothing up on NBC's web site about it coming back where as Friday Night Lights which also has been off the air for about a month has a message up stating it will return on March 21st for it's final 4 shows of the season. I really hope they don't cancel Studio 60 it's so well written and acted.

JasonEvans
03-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Just curious if anyone has heard if and when this show might reappear on NBC's schedule. I do recall NBC had ordered 4 more episodes. It's been at least a month since it's been on the air and I really do miss it. I liked the show, the charachters and their story lines. There is nothing up on NBC's web site about it coming back where as Friday Night Lights which also has been off the air for about a month has a message up stating it will return on March 21st for it's final 4 shows of the season. I really hope they don't cancel Studio 60 it's so well written and acted.

Warner Bros has said that it is currently shooting Episode #18 and that it plans to finish all 22 scripted episodes for this season. NBC has not said when or if it will air the episodes. Warner may be thinking that if NBC does not pick up the cost for the episodes, it can find a home for them on cable or a smaller network (Warner is part of the huge media conglomerate that owns TNT and the WB) or it may figure that touting several unaired episodes will help it sell a few million more DVDs when those come out someday.

Heck, it could probably just market "Studio 60: The Unseen Episodes" on a DVD and charge about $15 and sell a pretty decent number of DVDs-- what with Studio 60s following being mostly people who have 6-figure incomes.

-Jason "would love to see it come back!!" Evans

feldspar
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
-Jason "would love to see it come back!!" Evans

Not me. :)

Don't we have a bet going regarding its existence next season?

Edited to add: Looking back, the bet was whether it would air again in Feb of this year....did it?

JasonEvans
03-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Not me. :)

Don't we have a bet going regarding its existence next season?

Edited to add: Looking back, the bet was whether it would air again in Feb of this year....did it?

Yup, and you lost!! It aired 3 times in February.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip_episodes

What do I win?

-Jason "ain't no way I would bet on it returning next year-- very unlikely" Evans

DevilAlumna
03-15-2007, 03:39 PM
what with Studio 60s following being mostly people who have 6-figure incomes.

Isn't that true of all of Aaron Sorkin's shows? They attract a good demographic, just not large enough to keep them on the air. (West Wing the obvious exception, but it lost its sharp edge fairly early on.) I still miss Sportsnight. :(

I wonder if he'd have more success with a show on HBO or some other cable channel (TNT/USA) that values 'smarter' writing & dialog.

FewFAC
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
SSOTSS could make a great HBO show, but I don't know that there is a lot of gas in the premise. As I noted in my post on the pilot, how many storylines can realistically come out of a behind-the-scenes look at a late night variety show that weren't covered in the pilot?

JasonEvans
03-16-2007, 09:35 AM
SSOTSS could make a great HBO show, but I don't know that there is a lot of gas in the premise. As I noted in my post on the pilot, how many storylines can realistically come out of a behind-the-scenes look at a late night variety show that weren't covered in the pilot?

As much as I love the show, especially the acting and writing, I am inclined to agree with you that there are somewhat limited dramatic storylines. Sorkin took it in the romantic direction but my favorite episodes were the ones in the middle of the run about getting the deal for Macau and the controversey about the news being delayed. Those were not really about Studio 60, they were about the network. There just is not all that much dramatic that can happen around a sketch comedy show unless you get into silly, implausible stories.

Regardless of what happens to the remaining episodes of this season, I look forward to Sorkin's next show, as I hope he will find a better dramatic vehicle.

-Jason "I am resigned to there not being a second season of Studio 60" Evans

DevilAlumna
03-16-2007, 03:04 PM
There just is not all that much dramatic that can happen around a sketch comedy show unless you get into silly, implausible stories.

That must be why 30 Rock is doing so well; I think that show is hilarious. Who knew Alex Baldwin had it in him to do comedy?

mkirsh
03-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Alec Baldwin is very underrated as a comedic actor. His SNL episodes are some of the best, with Schwetty Balls being in my SNL top 10 sketches list.

JasonEvans
03-16-2007, 06:16 PM
That must be why 30 Rock is doing so well; I think that show is hilarious. Who knew Alex Baldwin had it in him to do comedy?

He had a very funny run on Will & Grace a while back-- he did a 5 or 6 episode guest thingy (checks IMDB)-- it was 6 episodes and he was nominated for 2 Emmys for Guest on a Comedy Series for it.

Obviously, he was great on SNL.

And he was hysterical in Glengarry Glen Ross. That Steak-knives line was a hoot ;)

So we knew he had comedy in him.

-Jason "I think I need to start watching 30 Rock" Evans

pacificrounder
03-17-2007, 07:20 PM
It would be a shame if Studio 60 didn't make it back. I have been a bit disappointed with the romantic direction, and like others I really enjoyed the interaction between Jack, Jordan, and Wilson White - but I think there are a lot of great story lines that haven't been explored at all.

- Matt's apparent painkiller addiction (the ending of the last episode was FANTASTIC when he saw himself in the picture)
- Personal lives of Simon and Tom
- The struggle for ratings while Matt tries to "get over" Harriet.
- HIRING NEW WRITERS! This is an amazing opportunity to get new and edgy characters involved in the show. The writing room looks depressing every time they shoot a scene there, and the current staff has been very disappointing in more ways than one (they haven't produced in writing or acting, nor has Sorkin given them a chance to).

I think the biggest problem with the most recent episodes is that Matt and Harriet's relationship is beginning to resemble Ryan and Marissa from the OC. Off, on, off, on, it's impossible to keep track of who is with who, who is mad at who, and why. I think if the show went away from Matt/Harriet and explored some of the other characters, it would go a long way toward drawing back viewers. In addition, I think there is room for more action between the less central characters (the Station Manager, can't remember his name, Tom, Simon, etc.)

I really hope it comes back.

FewFAC
03-17-2007, 08:32 PM
You know, I think SportsNight really hit its stride when it broke the romantic direction and brought outside characters into the main characters' storylines. Choreoanimator is still one of my all-time favorites.

I guess I just think SSOTSS feels too, well, incestuous. The outside storylines just don't do it for me.

DevilAlumna
03-18-2007, 01:50 AM
-Jason "I think I need to start watching 30 Rock" Evans

I'm shocked its not on your regular viewing schedule, if only just for comparison's sake to SSOTS; that's how I got into it.

Then, it had a couple "snort soda through the nose from sudden, unexpected laughter" moments, and I was hooked.

Favorite randomness is waiting to see how Rachel Dratch (of SNL) appears; in every episode she shows up in some bizarre charicature, including as a drug-induced-psychosis blue-blob-thingy. Oh, and seeing what Judah Friedlander puts on his hats.

JasonEvans
03-19-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm shocked its not on your regular viewing schedule, if only just for comparison's sake to SSOTS; that's how I got into it.

Then, it had a couple "snort soda through the nose from sudden, unexpected laughter" moments, and I was hooked.

Favorite randomness is waiting to see how Rachel Dratch (of SNL) appears; in every episode she shows up in some bizarre charicature, including as a drug-induced-psychosis blue-blob-thingy. Oh, and seeing what Judah Friedlander puts on his hats.

I had too many shows on my old TIVO when it started and now that I got a new TIVO with more space and a dual tuner, I feel like I have missed so much...

But, I caught up with The Office after starting late so maybe I will try the same thing with 30 Rock. Gotta get that TIVO working!

-Jason "my wife hates it when we add a new show" Evans

Mal
03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Jason, here's another nomination for 30 Rock to hit your Tivo. I watched the first episode and thought it was too filled with weirdness and the characters didn't work together (especially Tracy Morgan), but tried it again a month or two ago, laughed out loud numerous times, and have been watching since. The writing is razor sharp and there's a laugh buried in a lot of what would usually be throwaway expository lines. It's not a jokey sitcom, and it's not the situations that are funny - it's the dialogue and satire.

And yes, Alec Baldwin is, in fact, a comic genius. I've come to really appreciate his versatility the last couple of years. He's really a high quality actor, and not just some voiceover guy who rode his marriage to Kim Basinger into stardom. He was heartbreaking in Running with Scissors, and he's hilarious on 30 Rock and SNL. That's pretty impressive.

As for the original subject of the thread, I wanted Studio 60 to do well, because although there's been a lot more of it lately, there's still too little on television that's above sub-literate, and that's certainly what you get with Sorkin. Even with the totally unrealistic monologuing and impossibly witty banter, it's still fun to listen to if spoken by the right actors. But, my god, could they have possibly created characters I cared less about? It was like Sorkin took it as a dare. "You think I can't make a successful TV show about about a bunch of narcissistic, overpaid television people who spend most of their time fussing about their little vanities and the interplay between corporate interests and their so-called art? Watch me." Yawn. Witness the ongoing storyline about the p.r. disaster of a corporate executive's sordid past. How many television network vice president's personal lives do you know the first thing about? Talk about self-absorbed. The main romance was ludicrous, too. The one good thing I got out of that show was evidence that Matthew Perry is capable of a lot more than Chandler Bing.

I would like to see Aaron Sorkin cut loose and do something for HBO. That's where all the best television is produced these days; he should be there, doing something that isn't locked in the 42 minute episodic formula.

billybreen
03-21-2007, 03:49 AM
But, my god, could they have possibly created characters I cared less about? It was like Sorkin took it as a dare.

Yes! That is exactly what I said to my wife during one of the interminable Matt / Harriet episodes. My thinking is that it was a dare to see if he could build a show around characters that were completely unlikable. I think he failed.

I also have to disagree with an earlier poster who liked the painkiller episode with the picture reveal. That was the episode that finally convinced me to remove my TiVo Season Pass.

Olympic Fan
03-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I have the misfortune to be in the wrong demographic. I loved Sports Night (I have the entire run on DVD), which was cancelled early in its second season (after jumping networks.

I never got into West Wing -- a big hit.

I loved Studio 60, which didn't make it to the end of its first season.

Just curious -- anybody have an update on Black Donnalleys? I saw an article about a month ago that it was doing even worse in the time slot than Studio 60 (although it could be more profitable because it cost a lot less to produce). Also got horrible reviews.

PS When I read the sentence:

"You think I can't make a successful TV show about about a bunch of narcissistic, overpaid television people who spend most of their time fussing about their little vanities and the interplay between corporate interests and their so-called art?"

I thought that sounded an awful lot like the pitch for a sitcom about a "narcissitic, overpaid comic and his friends, who spend most of their time fussing about their little vanities."

Which reminds me ... is there going to be a new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm?

billybreen
03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
The difference is that Curb is funny, and you aren't meant to take the characters seriously. Sorkin created a cast of thoroughly unlikable characters and expected us to care about their angst. As much as the West Wing made me look at Whitehouse staffers in a new, more positive light, Studio 60 made me hate everyone in Hollywood. And I'm a democrat!

Still, if the decision is really between Studio 60 and the Black Donnellys, I expect 60 to return. BD is tanking, for good reason.

JasonEvans
03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Here is a link to a quick blurb about Amanda Peete showing up on the set of Studio 60-- I guess that confirms that they are shooting more episodes: http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/03/14/amanda-peet-post-pregnancy/

Whether those episodes air or just get put on DVD is up in the air.

-Jason

Jumbo
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Studio 60 will be back in June, in ER's timeslot. Whether or not it gets picked up for next fall is up in the air.

JasonEvans
03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Studio 60 will be back in June, in ER's timeslot. Whether or not it gets picked up for next fall is up in the air.

Cool, I am always looking for stuff to watch during the summer.

Hey Jumbo, how did you find this nugget out?

-Jason

Jumbo
03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Cool, I am always looking for stuff to watch during the summer.

Hey Jumbo, how did you find this nugget out?

-Jason

A little birdie told me. ;)

Olympic Fan
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
When I was talking about a show about narsacisstic, self-absorbed people who obsess over the petty vanities, I was talking about Larry David's first creation -- Seinfeld.

The folks on Studio 60 are a hell of a lot more likeable that Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer. That's why I liked the final episode -- they got what they deserved.

I don't know that either is supposed to be realistic. But I know TV Guide pronounced Seinfeld as the great sitcom ever -- and it was a huge hit (after a very slow start).

As for Curb Your Enthusiasm -- it's like Seinfeld on speed. It's funny as hell, but sometimes Larry can be so stupid, so selfish, so mean that it's almost unwatchable.

ehdg
03-27-2007, 04:11 PM

Really hope this is true!!

ehdg
05-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I was checking the NBC web site this evening and it said that Studio 60 will return on Thursday May 24. Finally thankfully it's coming back!! :D

ehdg
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Just a follow up and moving it back to page 1. For those that are interested here's a reminder that it airs tonight on NBC at 10 a new fresh episode.

DevilAlumna
05-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Bradley, Matthew and Amanda? I hope they come back soon -- the show was pretty weak w/o them.

I loved the interplay between Alison Janney and Tim Busfield, as it hearkened back to their on-off relationship in West Wing, but that was about the only thing good in an otherwise slow episode.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm the biggest Studio 60 fan out there, but after waiting four months, last night's episode was awful!

As DevilAlumna mentioned, the three most important characters are missing and two of them are barely referred to ... it's like watching Seinfeld with no Jerry, George or Kramer. The whole show is about Elaine and Newman and Kenny Banya ("That's gold, Jerry, gold!")

I can't understand. You're re-starting the show after a long hiatus, hoping to lure in an audience -- maybe people that didn't watch during the fall run (when it was head to head against CSI Miami), you're going up against re-runs and your first offering is that stinker?

Well, I think it's clear that the show is dead ... the current run of six (?) new episodes will be it. I just hope the next five are worth remembering, because last night's wasn't.

BlueDiablo
05-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I can't understand. You're re-starting the show after a long hiatus, hoping to lure in an audience -- maybe people that didn't watch during the fall run (when it was head to head against CSI Miami), you're going up against re-runs and your first offering is that stinker?

Makes almost as much sense as continuing to hype your next big serial thriller ("Traveler"), which you quietly canceled before it ever really aired.

I don't fully understand the way network exec's brains work.

dukeblueyes
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Agreed that last night's episode sucked. I really liked this show and wanted it to work, but take out Perry and Josh Lyman and you've got nothing. Somebody on here said that the creators must have decided to make up an entire series about a bunch of unlikeable characters... last night demonstrated that might be true.
They already cancelled Traveler? I tried to watch that show but couldn't make it past 15 minutes in. It reminded me of Kidnapped... I thought I might like the premise but just can't get into it (same with Heros, but that's been successful at least).