PDA

View Full Version : MBB v St. John's pre-game and in-game thread

Johnny Jungle
02-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Hey St. John's fan here I just wanted to come into enemy territory to tell you that you are going to win don't sweat an upset here but if you would like to grasp a little perspective from the opposition a great preview on the game can be seen here. http://www.johnnyjungle.com

This is the St. John's fan site which also features and article on 5 reason I could never root for Duke which I'm sure you'll all enjoy. Check it out kill some time at the office and good luck tomorrow not that you'll need it. I'll check back later today and maybe you all have some thoughts on the current state of St. John's basketball that you would like to share.

Thanks

Dave

dukegirlinsc
02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Odd.

If the article is as hard to read as this post, I'll more than likely pass. Thanks though. :)

TwoDukeTattoos
02-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey St. John's fan here I just wanted to come into enemy territory to tell you that you are going to win don't sweat an upset here but if you would like to grasp a little perspective from the opposition a great preview on the game can be seen here. http://www.johnnyjungle.com

This is the St. John's fan site which also features and article on 5 reason I could never root for Duke which I'm sure you'll all enjoy. Check it out kill some time at the office and good luck tomorrow not that you'll need it. I'll check back later today and maybe you all have some thoughts on the current state of St. John's basketball that you would like to share.

Thanks

Dave

No slight to your team, but I am hoping that the final score is something like 90-60 with a Duke victory. Duke needs to regain confidence with both their offense and defense. If this is another close game, it will drive Duke Nation absolutely nuts!

dukerev
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Kudos, and kudos again, sir. I visited the Johnny Jungle site and read the 5 reasons I could never root for Duke column. I was expecting the usual drivel and knuckle-dragging hate-spew that we Devils normally see. However, for once, there was a somewhat humorous, half-way intelligent column about why a Johnnie doesn't like Duke. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't need everyone to like us. Heck, I don't even mind people hating us. But for once, here is an actual column that doesn't take itself seriously (while posing as a serious column). Now I don't know if that was the original goal, but I do say, "Kudos to you, sir."

Now come on down to Cameron and take your beating.

Classof06
02-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Now come on down to Cameron and take your beating.

Haha, quote of the day.

Duke needs to get back on the horse and this is the game to do it. It also helps that we won't play Georgia Tech for another 4 days after tomorrow. While I believed we've played with effort through these 2 losses, we have looked a bit worn down. Hopefully this 3-day gap between games will help the guys.

Lid
02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I loved the "5 reasons" column. Funny and well done! (And please let Duke win in an enormous blowout...)

Johnny Jungle
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Odd.

If the article is as hard to read as this post, I'll more than likely pass. Thanks though. :)

Oops I had a typo it was 5am cut me some slack. Glad you enjoyed other Duke sites weren't as receptive. We're awful so there is no reason the score shouldn't be 30+. I'm a very realistic fan and we don't have any bullets in the gun. We don't even have the little hanky that comes out and says bang!

Do any of you follow the Big East or are we all ACC exclusive?

BlueDevilBaby
02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Got to follow all of college hoops since they don't hand the national championship trophy immediately to the winner of the ACC tournament. Besides, there have been some great games in the Big East this year, as well as across the country. For instance, I can't wait not only for the Duke/St. Johns game Sat. but also the Memphis/Tenn. Sat. night. College hoops is the best!

Clipsfan
02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Got to follow all of college hoops since they don't hand the national championship trophy immediately to the winner of the ACC tournament. Besides, there have been some great games in the Big East this year, as well as across the country. For instance, I can't wait not only for the Duke/St. Johns game Sat. but also the Memphis/Tenn. Sat. night. College hoops is the best!

Yep, I set my DVR to record the Memphis game a few days ago. I'm busy Sat night, but I'm going to want to see that game.

Most of us on this site are not only Duke fans, but college bball fans. As a result, we follow many of the conferences (and I would guess at least the BCS ones). It's hard to ignore the Big East this year, there are a lot of good teams.

Clipsfan
02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
The 5 reasons is fairly entertaining and doesn't actually bash Duke.

Classof06
02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Oops I had a typo it was 5am cut me some slack. Glad you enjoyed other Duke sites weren't as receptive. We're awful so there is no reason the score shouldn't be 30+. I'm a very realistic fan and we don't have any bullets in the gun. We don't even have the little hanky that comes out and says bang!

I am a self-professed college basketball junkie. I watch ESPN and ESPN2 from 7-11pm most weeknights and most Saturdays. It helps me kick my football addiction :). I'm also a bit of a gambling man so staying on top of BCS conference teams is a bit of an occupation if you will, haha.

Overall, I like to follow all conferences and really get a sense of which teams I think can do some real damage in March. And I watch all conferences for the love of the sport; I can't wait for Saturday night's 1 vs. 2 tilt. Even if it was Duke's loss(es) that made it a 1 vs. 2 matchup.

Johnny Jungle
02-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Well to give you a nutshell report on St. John's current situation.

Norm Roberts takes over a program left in shambles by Jarvis. 2 years post season eligibility. He had 3 players transfer last season and only has 2 of 6 recruits retained from last season(1 player never became eligible). He is in year 4 and we're still at the bottom of the Big East. We've gotten blown out more times than not so the losses are just bad. We have many games where we shot lower than 25%. We didn't score a basket til 4 min left in the first half against georgetown. We have no recruits for next year and have lost out on every guy we've been in the race for.

On the other hand the team has the highest GPA in the school's history, we have 8 freshman who have some potential but are raw, we're more athletic than we've ever been under Norm, Norm is trying to embrace the local community and build a foundation, his summer camp registrations have tripled over the past year, is at any and every high school event, he runs a very clean program.

St. John's fans are growing tired and would like to see change is it warranted? Or does it take time to bring things back and we need to be patient? Do you think the fans are justified in booing the team and chanting to fire Norm? or is this counter productive?

I always like to hear non biased opinions which is why I go across enemy lines.

RelativeWays
02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
While I can't relate to Johnny Jungle when it comes to college basketball loyalties, I can certainly understand the anguish of loving a team that has its problems and shortcomings. I like the Saints and the Cubs, two of the more cursed sports franchises in history (especially the cubbies). The Duke men's basketball team is the only consistently winning team I follow. College football, I don't divide my loyalties for convenience and we know where Duke football is currently (BUT IT WILL CHANGE!!!!!!)

Anyway, I enjoyed the "5 reasons" piece, very tongue in cheek and not the typical anti Duke snark we're accustomed to. Besides, I've always respected St Johns. Mike Jarvis and K always seemed to have a good relationship when he was there and the only person who could rock a sweater like Bill Cosby was Lou Carnesecca

RelativeWays
02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Well to give you a nutshell report on St. John's current situation.

Norm Roberts takes over a program left in shambles by Jarvis. 2 years post season eligibility. He had 3 players transfer last season and only has 2 of 6 recruits retained from last season(1 player never became eligible). He is in year 4 and we're still at the bottom of the Big East. We've gotten blown out more times than not so the losses are just bad. We have many games where we shot lower than 25%. We didn't score a basket til 4 min left in the first half against georgetown. We have no recruits for next year and have lost out on every guy we've been in the race for.

On the other hand the team has the highest GPA in the school's history, we have 8 freshman who have some potential but are raw, we're more athletic than we've ever been under Norm, Norm is trying to embrace the local community and build a foundation, his summer camp registrations have tripled over the past year, is at any and every high school event, he runs a very clean program.

St. John's fans are growing tired and would like to see change is it warranted? Or does it take time to bring things back and we need to be patient? Do you think the fans are justified in booing the team and chanting to fire Norm? or is this counter productive?

I always like to hear non biased opinions which is why I go across enemy lines.

Honestly, you should ask some NC State fans since their program has endured a similar decline. You may not get a very thought provoking or forthright reply, in fact they would probably be pretty rude, so on second thought, don't ask them.

Bob Green
02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
It will be interesting to see what, if any, adjustments the Staff makes for this game after two losses. I wouldn't be suprised to see the starting line-up shaken up. Maybe Brian Zoubek will get the start.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
It will be interesting to see what, if any, adjustments the Staff makes for this game after two losses. I wouldn't be suprised to see the starting line-up shaken up. Maybe Brian Zoubek will get the start.

Henderson seems a little reserved on the court, I am sure because he is protecting his wrist to some degree. If he can't bring his game 100% as he has done all year, I think perhaps other players should get more minutes. Maybe Nolan and Taylor.

Troublemaker
02-23-2008, 12:54 AM
I doubt there will be any major shakeups. I think the coaches and the players realize that they have a very good team with good chemistry, and they just need to get back to playing well. I especially expect Coach K to have a broad view of the season, and that these kinds of ups and downs happen. I expect no significant changes, just an extremely intense team tomorrow. Incidentally, Duke -22 is probably one of the better bets of the college bball season, just because of the situation. I expect the team to come close to covering that twice over. No offense to the Johnnies; it's just a bad spot to be in.

dukegirlinsc
02-23-2008, 01:36 AM

I try to keep up with at least the top 25, or pretty much any game I'm around to watch. Also have my dvr set for the Memphis/UT game, and the Duke game, since I'm going to be in attendace, now. :cool:

weezie
02-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Honestly, you should ask some NC State fans since their program has endured a similar decline. You may not get a very thought provoking or forthright reply, in fact they would probably be pretty rude, so on second thought, don't ask them.

Yeah, that was a pretty long article with some big words in it, you might be asking too much from the wolfies.

dukestheheat
02-23-2008, 11:12 AM

I am looking for Duke to re-establish its attitude today. Outside of the earned victory, all we need to hope for is: emotion, fire, desire, total effort, attitude, our house, confidence.....you know, the common denominator that is Duke basketball.

That's all I want to see, even if this game goes down to a close one.

I'd rather lose a basketball game employing all those factors I listed (which means the Storm has to play like an NBA team all game) than win and play with the attitude and effort that we've had for the majority of the last two games.

I mean that. Like many on this board, I love Duke and I do rise and fall with the team during the season.

dukestheheat, and don't you forget it.

TheLetterDGules
02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Is anyone on the West coast able to get the game on CBS?
I've got Kansas/Okl St. instead. Sweet :(
help!

jaimedun34
02-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Is anyone on the West coast able to get the game on CBS?
I've got Kansas/Okl St. instead. Sweet :(
help!

You should be able to see the game using this website.

http://channelsurfing.net/

This site is usually reliable and the feed is decent, although you might be 1 or 2 plays behind live action.

DukeFencer
02-23-2008, 02:22 PM
No slight to your team, but I am hoping that the final score is something like 90-60 with a Duke victory. Duke needs to regain confidence with both their offense and defense. If this is another close game, it will drive Duke Nation absolutely nuts!

Oh boy. Please no "Duke Nation." Just finished watching the UConn-Villanova game with all of the "Nova Nation" signs. Just as tired of "WAKE the nation." Goes along with all of the schools that play that same song over the PA to get all the students jumping in tight games... I'll stick with the pep band and "every time we touch" or a "Our House" chant any day, thanks.

Dbluedevils1530
02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Ok so I'm 100% sure that DUKE will win today after losing 2 straight. Which was just getting out of hand. Hopefully we will kill them by 30 and everyone knows were still a major threat after 2 straight loses.

Grey Devil
02-23-2008, 02:53 PM

This site is usually reliable and the feed is decent, although you might be 1 or 2 plays behind live action.

And apparently one must have a PC. Any options for Mac users? Anyone know about any radio feeds on the net?

These are the only times I wish I lived somewhere other than California.

Grey Devil

Saratoga2
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Zoubek may well play a larger role this afternoon. He should be gaining stamina and confidence after good performances. His inside presence forces teams to adjust their inside game.

I think our guards have been relatively poor making plays. That has never been Nelson or Hendersons forte, as they do very well when given the ball in advantage positions but tend to turn the ball over when trying to make plays to others. Paulus and Smith bring the ball upcourt well, but have also been turnover prone, making ill advised passes, etc. I personally have the most confidence in Scheyer's judgment and Singler does well in the area too. Maybe we need to let Scheyer handle the ball part of each possession.

We have no choice but to let Paulus handle and pass but I would love to see him use better judgment with the ball. I have thought he does best when he doesn't attempt the highlight film passes and instead values each possession. One thing for sure, we need to cut way down on the turnovers going forward.

Classof06
02-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Lost in the disappointment of Wednesday's game was the play of Zoubek. Being at the game in person, I was very very impressed with the way Brian played. Obviously in a loss, this kind of stuff doesn't really get noticed but I liked how he was able to contribute and, most importantly, I liked how Krzyzewski gave him extended minutes. Now, that might have been out of necessity and not preference but Brian gave quality minutes nonetheless.

Hopefully Brian will continue to produce because like him or not, this team is going to need Zoubek come March. I just don't think there's any way around it.

Cameron
02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
YES! Jon back in the lineup.

slower
02-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Incidentally, Duke -22 is probably one of the better bets of the college bball season, just because of the situation. I expect the team to come close to covering that twice over.

I believe that you are moderately deluded.

slower
02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I meant delusional.

DukieInKansas
02-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Does channelsurfing.net know what region you are in? I clicked on the link for Duke and got the dadgum Kansas game. Any ideas?

dukebdx12
02-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Does channelsurfing.net know what region you are in? I clicked on the link for Duke and got the dadgum Kansas game. Any ideas?

got the same game also. im in the southeast

Cameron
02-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I should note that I completely forgot about Gerald's wrist problems... meant nothing against him. Just glad to see Jonny back in the lineup, even if it's just for a game.

dukebdx12
02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
looks like i will be watching it play-by-play box score

DukieInKansas
02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
How come CBS can put commercials on their scoreboard but not the game? Guess I'll have to work afterall.

BD80
02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm in Michigan and can't get the game on channelsurfing; any other options?

dukerev
02-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm following on cbssportsline. (Can't see it on tv in Arkansas). What did St. Johns get the tech for?

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 04:34 PM

When I click on the Duke link it even shows Kansas. Any suggestions?

duke211
02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
He is just plain out better on d, he can shoot as good as greg too

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
This is bs, third straight game of not being able to watch.

dukerev
02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Kramer - you didn't miss anything the last two games.

ArkieDukie
02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
got the same game also. im in the southeast

I really don't give a d*** about Kansas. I want to watch Duke!

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Have big 12 games on two of the big networks ABC and CBS is pathetic. All four teams might combine to score 100.

CameronBlue
02-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Singler is not human.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Singler is not human.

Yes, that little put back was sick even if it didn't count!

superdave
02-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Try acc select dot com to watch the game.

duke211
02-23-2008, 05:06 PM
start jon at pg

Saratoga2
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Paulus started but had a terrible few minutes before picking up his third foul. There is little doubt that the team improved with him on the bench. He seems to be going into the funk he was in for part of last year. His play may well be a part of the reason the team has started poorly in recent games.

Singler and Scheyer are having excellent games through the first half. Wejust need to keep the defense turned up and keep our turnovers down and this will be a solid win.

Johnny Jungle
02-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Despite being down 18 St. John's played pretty well in comparison to what they've done at home. I think you can see we have potential but its not there right now. I'd like to see St. John's drive more in the second half if Duke continues to man up because we can't shoot the ball and Smith or Paulas aren't stopping Geno or Boothe.

Man Duke can shoot the ball its nice watching them. Singler is unreal and so far our site's game breakers were Jon Scheyer and Paris Horne

Scheyer 12 pts 4 reb 3 ast

Horne 5 pts but only 3 min.... if only coach would listen to us..

delfrio
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Paulus had a bad game against Wake, but was just fine at Miami (6 to 1 A/TO). Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to blame our troubles on him.

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Just watching the play by play on yahoo game channel and was wondering if anyone is guarding DJ Kennedy?

Johnny Jungle
02-23-2008, 05:21 PM
all fast break points for DJ

Johnny Jungle
02-23-2008, 05:27 PM
The wheels have officially fell off the truck here come our major meltdown its like clockwork....prepare to open the lead to 40

Jumbo
02-23-2008, 05:28 PM
start jon at pg

You don't need to post every random thought you have.

Faison1
02-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Is anyone able to watch on channelsurfing.net? I keep crashing before it shows a picture. Any suggestions?

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 05:30 PM
It shows the Kansas game when I click on the Duke link for me.

YmoBeThere
02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
We got preempted here in Beantown...

SharkD
I hate CBS sports -- not only for Packer, but for cutting away to the Kansas-OK St game.

(I'm in DC, on business.)

Faison1

Oh well. I guess this is one of those games I am better off not watching. Anything other than a blowout would make me upset/concerned.

BlueDevilBaby
02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
There's 16 minutes left in the KS game. Come on! This is crap.

SharkD
02-23-2008, 05:33 PM

That's because the link is from somewhere not in North Carolina -- CBS cut away from the game elsewhere.

Stray Gator
02-23-2008, 05:34 PM
The CBS affiliate here in Tampa just switched from the Duke-St. Johns game to the Kansas-Okie State game. Ugh. At least I can listen to the game being called by Bob Harris on XM radio...

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 05:36 PM
There's 16 minutes left in the KS game. Come on! This is crap.

Welcome to the Midwest...

OldPhiKap
02-23-2008, 05:36 PM
CBS blows chunks. It should change its initials to ADD because it can't stick with one thing.

GGGRRRRR!!!!

ArkieDukie
02-23-2008, 05:37 PM
The CBS affiliate here in Tampa just switched from the Duke-St. Johns game to the Kansas-Okie State game. Ugh. At least I can listen to the game being called by Bob Harris on XM radio...

I just logged onto XM Radio online, thinking I'd be able to listen to the game. Wrong. I'll have to listen in my car.

Papa John
02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
C'mon folks... We're engaged in a blowout, and OKState has the #4/5 country on the ropes in the second half... How can you possibly be surprised at this decision?

SharkD
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
CBS blows chunks. It should change its initials to ADD because it can't stick with one F#$%#$# thing.

GGGRRRRR!!!!

I can understand it during the tourney (sort of), but it's silly during the regular season -- at the very least they could keep the Duke-StJ score on the screen, somewhere.

mgtr
02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
That is why I hate it when we have CBS covering the game! They can't stick with the original game. Probably Greg Gumball's fault.

SharkD
02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
C'mon folks... We're engaged in a blowout, and OKState has the #4/5 country on the ropes in the second half... How can you possibly be surprised at this decision?

If OkSt blows out Kansass, do you think we'll keep our current spot in the rankings?

mgtr
02-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't care if Duke is ahead by 100, I want to see them play. I guess Raycom isn't so bad.

Karl Beem
02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't care if Duke is ahead by 100, I want to see them play. I guess Raycom isn't so bad.

True. The bozos can't get it in their head that people tune in to see a particular game not the CBS "experience".

dukerev
02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Has Dave played at all?

Jumbo

Yes, well there are fans all over the country who don't want to watch any of Duke-St. John's, let alone a blowout. I can understand being disappointed about not being able to see the game, but the way you all are crying is embarrassing. The fans who should be able to complain about TV coverage are ours. Virtually every Duke is televised. Let's get real here and be thankful for that fact.

Jumbo
Has Dave played at all?

Briefly in the first half.

Cameron
02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
CBS blows chunks. It should change its initials to ADD because it can't stick with one thing.

Lol about the ADD. How true.

CBS can kiss my ____. I completely agree with SharkD. It's fine in the NCAAs to switch from game to game because that's it, there is no tomorrow, every game means the world. However, in the regular season, when games are being shown by region, they need to stick with the damn game. I am so mad I could hurt something.

I really didn't want to have to call another television station about my angers and frustrations, but it appears that I am going to have to. This is the only way I can feel better about the situation.

beltwayBD
02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
This is crap. I planned my afternoon around this game -- and my XM is busted. Anyone find this streaming on-line?

Chard
02-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the lecture dad.

LOL. Classic.

MIKESJ73
I live in SC and didn't get the game until 4:45 because of the VT-GT game, now it's off to Kansas!!!!

Cameron
The worst part of the whole situation is that we now have to watch the stupidest haircut in the country for another 8 minutes. That's the object I want to hurt. That hair is an embarrassment to all hair.

kramerbr
02-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow, that sarcastic remark made me Elton Brand.

Chard
02-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I think it was a stupid decision to switch the game. I'm in North Carolina. I don't want to watch another game from another frickin area of the country. Now, I'm not watching any game at all. How does that sell batteries or DVDs or trucks or whatever, CBS? During the tournament I can understand. During a regular season game? Nope.

Oh, well. I'll just go outside and play. Maybe go tear down some Obama signs. ;)

Chard
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
The worst part of the whole situation is that we now have to watch the stupidest haircut in the country for another 8 minutes. That's the object I want to hurt. That hair is an embarrassment to all hair.

I feel your pain. Turn off the tv and come out side to play!