PDA

View Full Version : Duhon ultimately not included in 3-way trade

NW Indiana Dukie
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
ESPN1000 Chicago is reporting Chris Duhon and Ben Wallace will be traded to Cleveland for Larry Hughes.

FerryFor50
02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
ESPN1000 Chicago is reporting Chris Duhon and Ben Wallace will be traded to Cleveland for Larry Hughes.

That would make Lebron very happy I think...

CDu
02-21-2008, 03:22 PM

If so, that's a good move for the Cavs (get rid of Hughes, get a defensive presence in the paint, get a decent point guard) and for Duhon (gets to go to a contender). I don't see how that would make sense for the Bulls (trade their post presence and third guard and take on an equally bad contract in return).

FerryFor50
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
If so, that's a good move for the Cavs (get rid of Hughes, get a defensive presence in the paint, get a decent point guard) and for Duhon (gets to go to a contender). I don't see how that would make sense for the Bulls (trade their post presence and third guard and take on an equally bad contract in return).

Hughes isn't bad. I just don't know where he fits in a rotation... he has the talent, but is he a #2 option?

CDu
02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Now there's speculation about a 3-way deal involving Bulls, Cavs, and Sonics. We'll know for sure in a few hours, I guess.

ugadevil
02-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Does this mean the Bulls are still trying to shop Ben Gordon? If so, it seems like they're sort of cleaning house. Also, I heard a rumor yesterday about the Cavs also trying to get Mike Miller from Memphis. Anyone know of some development on that?

CDu
02-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Hughes isn't bad. I just don't know where he fits in a rotation... he has the talent, but is he a #2 option?

The problem is that the Bulls have three guys who play SG (Hinrich, Gordon, and Sefalosha) and only one guy who plays any point guard (Hinrich). And they're overloaded at the SF (Deng, Nocioni, Sefalosha, Griffin), so Hughes doesn't fit. And he's got a large contract for two more years, so the Bulls won't get cap relief after this year (which is why they'd trade Wallace).

Troublemaker
02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Looks like Duhon to the Sonics instead.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51023/20080221/cavs_get_wallace_smith_west_and_wally/

Good moves for Cleveland.

CDu
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Now they're saying that Duhon is going to the Sonics in a three-way trade. That's not as good a trade for Duhon, obviously.

FerryFor50
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Cavs finally made some moves... looks like a step in the right direction. (I'm a huge Lebron fan)

BD80
02-21-2008, 03:49 PM

What a stupid deal for the Bulls! They were stupid to overpay for a used up Ben Wallace, but this is compounding the problem. How do they play Gordon and Hughes together? Sounds like they are giving up on Gordon as well. That would bode well for Luol getting a bigger deal.

Ben Wallace will get motivated for the playoffs, particularly if they meet the Pistons. The 21-32 Bulls are 3-0 against the 39-15 Pistons.

Adding Duhon would have given Lebron the ballhandler he has been asking for.

Danny Ferry is doing what the Suns and Mavericks have done, going for it now.

blueprofessor
02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51029/20080221/duhon_wont_be_included_in_trade/
Best regards.:)

Acymetric
02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm glad he's not with the Sonics, would've liked to see him go to the Cavs though, I think he would have fit in and done reasonably well.

blueprofessor
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51031/20080221/the_definitive_details_of_the_wallace_trad

Troublemaker
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Duhon getting dealt or not getting dealt doesn't really matter since he'll be a free agent this summer. Hopefully he uses that opportunity to sign with a contender.

ugadevil
02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Duhon getting dealt or not getting dealt doesn't really matter since he'll be a free agent this summer. Hopefully he uses that opportunity to sign with a contender.

The Celtics could use a point guard....

Turtleboy
02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
No mention of Duhon here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3257159).

CDu
02-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Actually, they're okay at PG. They have a young guy (Rajon Rondo) that they're very excited about. Rondo is averaging 10.6 ppg, 4.8 apg, 4.4 rpg, 2.66 a/to, and 1.7 spg. If Duhon went to Boston, he'd be a backup there.

ugadevil
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually, they're okay at PG. They have a young guy (Rajon Rondo) that they're very excited about. Rondo is averaging 10.6 ppg, 4.8 apg, 4.4 rpg, 2.66 a/to, and 1.7 spg. If Duhon went to Boston, he'd be a backup there.

I just think they could really use someone else who'd hit the outside shot and make free throws. And if we're talking "contender", they definitely qualify.

DevilAlumna
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
And I have tix to see the Sonics tomorrow night... was hoping to see Duhon, and now I won't even get to see Wally World! Maybe I'll see McBob ride the pine, as we're playing the Blazers.

I remember Donyelle Marshall from the UConnvicts, but who the heck is "Ira Newble"?

yancem
02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51031/20080221/the_definitive_details_of_the_wallace_trad

So let me get this straight, Chicago trade for Hughes but don't trade Duhon, Gordon or Hinrich? They also get 6'3" Shannon Brown and the only big guy of note (Simmons is averaging only .6 ppg) is Gooden while trading Wallace and Joe Smith? How in the world does this make any sense? They now have four 6'2"-6'3" guards and a 6'5" guard who would prefer to be a pg.

CDu
02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
So let me get this straight, Chicago trade for Hughes but don't trade Duhon, Gordon or Hinrich? They also get 6'3" Shannon Brown and the only big guy of note (Simmons is averaging only .6 ppg) is Gooden while trading Wallace and Joe Smith? How in the world does this make any sense? They now have four 6'2"-6'3" guards and a 6'5" guard who would prefer to be a pg.

I suspect that, during the offseason, either Hughes or Gordon will be traded, so it's only a problem for about 25-30 games. I really don't think this move was so much about improving the team's holes as it was about getting rid of Wallace and starting over.

The reality is that the team is going nowhere, so they're in rebuilding mode. Plus, they wanted to get rid of Wallace in order to let their young big guys (Noah, Thomas, Gray) get more playing time.

And Wallace was developing into a team cancer that was only going to get worse as he regressed as a player. Hughes is a tough pill to swallow, but he's probably more tradable than Wallace moving.

It's not an exciting deal for the Bulls. And if they don't make more moves in the offseason, it's really not going to make sense. But I highly doubt that they'll go into next season with both Hughes and Gordon on the roster.

pfrduke
02-22-2008, 06:10 PM
And I have tix to see the Sonics tomorrow night... was hoping to see Duhon, and now I won't even get to see Wally World! Maybe I'll see McBob ride the pine, as we're playing the Blazers.

I remember Donyelle Marshall from the UConnvicts, but who the heck is "Ira Newble"?

I'm going to the Sonics game tonight too, and it would have been great to see Duhon (he would instantly become the best point guard on the team - I do not think highly of Earl Watson and Luke Ridnour).

As for Ira Newble, he's been a 9th-man for about 7-8 seasons (except for a couple where he was a 6th man for a very bad Atlanta Hawks team).

The Sonics are in great shape to be a major player about 2 seasons from now. They have 13! draft picks in the next 2 drafts, and could be a player in the FA market this season or a major player in the FA market after next season. A very exciting time if you're an OKC resident. :mad:

Clipsfan
02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm going to the Sonics game tonight too, and it would have been great to see Duhon (he would instantly become the best point guard on the team - I do not think highly of Earl Watson and Luke Ridnour).

As for Ira Newble, he's been a 9th-man for about 7-8 seasons (except for a couple where he was a 6th man for a very bad Atlanta Hawks team).

The Sonics are in great shape to be a major player about 2 seasons from now. They have 13! draft picks in the next 2 drafts, and could be a player in the FA market this season or a major player in the FA market after next season. A very exciting time if you're an OKC resident. :mad:

13 pick is ridiculous...whose picks are they? Basically, are they going to be decent picks or second rounders etc?

pfrduke
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
13 pick is ridiculous...whose picks are they? Basically, are they going to be decent picks or second rounders etc?

Actually, looking more closely, I think it's 13 over the next 3 years. I think it's 6 first-round and 7 second-round. The 1st round picks come from the Spurs and Suns (2) and I think one other team, and they have second rounders coming from Houston, Denver, and New Jersey, and a couple others. Their value is draft flexibility - say they end up 5th and really, really want Derrick Rose (which they should). Say Memphis is sitting at 2, and Rose is still on the board. You package the #5 with the Suns pick (and maybe even a 2nd rounder) and you get yourself a Rose.

In about 8 months, Presti has turned this roster from a bad team with zero cap flexibility and bad contracts into a bad team with cap flexibility, manageable contracts (there are still 3 stinkers - Ridnour, Watson, and Collison at a collective $19mil/year for two more years, but all told, that's not terrible), and oodles of flexibility via draft picks.

yancem
02-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Now that the trade deadline has past and I have had a chance to more thoroughly think about the Chicago trade, I'm finding myself fairly depressed. The addition of Hughes pretty much places Duhon at the end of the bench. Deng, who was considered the key to the franchise, has had injuries and seems to have lost favor with Boylan. The direction of this franchise is hard to determine. Just 2 years ago it looked like Chicago would be a real contender in the Eastern conference, now they look like they are in complete disarray. I thought that under Skiles that both Deng and Duhon had promising futures. With the coaching change and the recent trade, I'm now hoping that both of them get get out of town and into a better environment.

_Gary
02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Now that the trade deadline has past and I have had a chance to more thoroughly think about the Chicago trade, I'm finding myself fairly depressed. The addition of Hughes pretty much places Duhon at the end of the bench. Deng, who was considered the key to the franchise, has had injuries and seems to have lost favor with Boylan. The direction of this franchise is hard to determine. Just 2 years ago it looked like Chicago would be a real contender in the Eastern conference, now they look like they are in complete disarray. I thought that under Skiles that both Deng and Duhon had promising futures. With the coaching change and the recent trade, I'm now hoping that both of them get get out of town and into a better environment.

You've read my mind on this one. After watching the game last night, I got the distinct impression that Chris is probably not going to see anything more than spot duty the rest of this year. And Luol certainly doesn't look to be at the top of the food chain any more. He's now one among many. Of course, we know Chicago will do some major moving in the off-season. There are just too many guys on the wing. At this point, I'd like to see both Luol and Chris traded to another team. I don't like the vibe I'm getting from Chicago these days.

Gary

DoubleDuke Dad
02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
:)
I believe Raymond Felton is still available.:)

CDu
02-25-2008, 03:03 PM

I agree that Duhon is the odd man out here. With Hughes coming in and Sefalosha getting better, Duhon is the fifth guard in a four-man rotation. I think he's on a one-year contract, too, which means he's probably gone.

I don't think Deng has lost favor with Boylan. I think that, with Hughes in house and with the team struggling and with Deng recovering from injury, Boylan is bringing Deng along slowly.

The rotation is going to be crowded for the rest of the season. But in the offseason, I suspect that one of Hughes or Gordon will be traded. This will free up time for Deng again, and he'll be back to his 30-35 minutes per game as the starting SF. But the team is in flux and needs to find out what it has in Thomas, Noah, Gray, and Sefalosha. As such, they can get away with resting Deng a bit more.

I think the team is still high on Deng, and that he'll ultimately sign an extension this offseason. Gordon is more questionable, and he and Hughes probably don't coexist well moving forward.

But Duhon is ideally destined for a backup role on a good team. If Gordon goes, then Duhon could remain in Chicago and get ~20 minutes per game off the bench. If Gordon stays, then Duhon will likely want to find a new team. He may have to find a new team either way.

bdh21
02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-080226-bulls-chris-duhon-chicago,1,2897518.story)

Duvall
02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Duhon has been marginalized before, dropping from a surefire first-round pick after his junior season at Duke to a second-round pick.

What? That doesn't sound right at all.

Ignatius07
02-27-2008, 11:48 AM
A surefire 1st rounder after his freshman year, maybe. Junior year, no chance.

Channing
02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I would love to see Duhon land up as a bakcup in NO. Chris Paul obviously has a stranglehold on the point position there. Duhon, however, has done so much for the area post-Katrina, I think it would be a great situation for him

jimsumner
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm reasonably certain Chris Duhon was never a sure-fire first-round NBA pick.