PDA

View Full Version : Kids Named After Duke Players?

TwoDukeTattoos
02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
OK, I'd like to know of anyone who named their kids after Duke players or knows of anyone who named their kids after Duke players. Before you say that doing such a thing is completely stupid, I must say that our two sons' names are GRANT AND QUIN.

Now, let me clarify: My wife and I did not deliberately set out to name our children after Duke players. However, we always threw the names of Duke players into the mix and both times, we ended up liking the names of the Duke players best! Perhaps it was our subciousious hard at work!

NW Indiana Dukie
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
...if either were a boy my wife and I were all set with Cameron Michael:D

Nesto
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Do coaches count? A lot of alumni kids (including one of mine) are named after the venerable coach and stadium ;-)

Magnolia888
02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
There are a lot of Camerons out there in the world of Duke alumni. I know it's just a coincidence and all . . .

And I don't have children yet, but yes, I do plan to name any son I might have after my favorite Duke b-ball player. It's a name I've always liked, so it was just a lucky coincidence that it belongs to a great player also. :)

Nesto
02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Do coaches count? A lot of alumni kids (including one of mine) are named after the venerable coach and stadium ;-)
Cameron, that is, though I'm sure Wade is a popular one too!

TheRose77
02-20-2008, 03:31 PM
We named our second son Cameron Wade, after two of our favorite places at Duke. He's 21 now.

Ignatius07
02-20-2008, 03:40 PM
One of my dogs is named Cameron (deliberately named after the stadium), though that is probably much more common.

aro24
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I also had a dog named Kameron.......I thew a twist on there in starting it with a K for obvious reasons.

I am going to pitch to my wife that if our next is a boy that I be allowed to name him Cherokee Abdelnaby but don't know if that will fly :D

ARo24

ChicagoDevil
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
I have a son named Grant (yes, after Grant Hill) and had a dog named Cameron.:D

RockyMtDevil
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
One named Avery, though that was kind of a mistake, as Will didn't go down as one of my favorites.

Even better, my three-year-old prays for DeMarcus EVERY NIGHT before she goes to bed, it is quite awesome. her prayer always goes like this

"Dear God, thank you for mommy and daddy, thank you for our friends, thank you for God dying for our sins, and thank you for my friend DeMarcus, AMEN."

Awesome!

dukerev
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Our Labs are named Cameron and K. Incidentally, Coach K's labs are named Cameron and Defense (at least, I've read that he has two labs named that).

pfrduke
02-20-2008, 04:56 PM
+1 for dogs named Cameron (mine has a Duke collar as well).

barjwr
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I also had a dog named Kameron.......I thew a twist on there in starting it with a K for obvious reasons.

I am going to pitch to my wife that if our next is a boy that I be allowed to name him Cherokee Abdelnaby but don't know if that will fly :D

ARo24
Good luck with that. I'm hoping for Carmen Capel at my house . . . .

wilson
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
..."Dear God, thank you for mommy and daddy, thank you for our friends, thank you for God dying for our sins, and thank you for my friend DeMarcus, AMEN."

Awesome!

That is outstanding.

jsimmons
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
is named trajan...does that count. you have no idea how many times i will be out with him and people will say there used to be a duke basketball player named trajan.

hc5duke
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
We're considering Marcus for a boy. He won't be ethnic enough (or Italian) to be called DeMarcus :D

-- addendum --
Also, "Grant" is being considered

Capn Poptart
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a friend who's a HUGE Duke fan, and named his son...Parks! Yep, Cherokee's always been his favorite player. He's got photos, jerseys, and now... a kid to memorialize him. :o

dukegirlinsc
02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
i plan on naming my first son redick. seriously.

ron mckernan
02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
If you were hardcore, you would have made their middle name "Indoor" :)

My car's nicknamed Wojo (kinda small, not the fastest, but it tries really hard). I've been pushing for a kid named Hurley with my wife, but only to make my top choice -- Thelonious -- seem less ridiculous by comparison.

crimsonandblue
02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
is named trajan...does that count. you have no idea how many times i will be out with him and people will say there used to be a duke basketball player named trajan.

There's a cruddy uniform font called trajan (http://trajansucks.mattkirkland.com/). But that's probably not what you were gunning for.

Acymetric
02-20-2008, 06:34 PM
If you were hardcore, you would have made their middle name "Indoor" :)

My car's nicknamed Wojo (kinda small, not the fastest, but it tries really hard). I've been pushing for a kid named Hurley with my wife, but only to make my top choice -- Thelonious -- seem less ridiculous by comparison.

I would see either name as a huge win for everybody in the world ever. Middle name Monk maybe?

MIKESJ73
02-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I have two black labs named Hurley and Langdon.

dukebballcamper90-91
02-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I named my friend's son Christian Grant and have a friend who named their son Cameron.

godukecom
02-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Ive got a cockapoo named JJ...

Indoor66
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I have used Ole Roy as a dog food. Does that count?

merry
02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I am another of those with a son named Cameron. Our dog on the other hand is Chipper Jones.

SeattleIrish
02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
My now-6-year-old son is named "Durham". Wasn't even a tough sell, really; we wanted a name that couldn't be easily shortened, didn't lend itself readily to a nickname (although my brother insists on calling him, "Duke"), and was distinctive.

Most people don't automatically associate his name with Duke University, unless they're hoops fans. The most common comment is, "Oh...do you mean like "Bull Durham"?

Best damn kid in the world :-)

s.i.

nczephdog
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
1. When I was in graduate school, I had an aquarium full of goldfish. Their names included BD and Christian. There were also several Marty Clarks in the group.

2. Our dog is named Bodhi, not Cameron, but friends appreciate his most awesome trick: When you tell him to "play defense," he crouches and slaps the floor with his front two paws.

DevilAlumna
02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
There was a whole series of polls/threads prior to the season, on the OT Board, where Bjornolf was trying to come up with Duke-associated-Duke-Fan-Approved names.

I think Grant Christian won for a boy; I don't recall the final for a girl. (He already had a child with a middle name of Cameron, iirc.)

Truth
02-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Nice thread to momentarily take my mind off the loss...

So is there a majority vote as to whether the name Cameron is more suited for males or females? I've always been fond of the name for a female...

Cameron
02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Some choices off the top of my head:

Cameron Collins, Cameron Clay, Cameron Taylor, Taylor Langdon, Langdon James, Langdon Price, Collins Price, Carmen Taylor, and Laettner Christian (certainly a bold pick, die hards only please)

As for pure first names, I really like Laettner, Langdon, and Collins.

There are so many possibilities here, though.

dukegirlinsc
02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
My now-6-year-old son is named "Durham". Wasn't even a tough sell, really; we wanted a name that couldn't be easily shortened, didn't lend itself readily to a nickname (although my brother insists on calling him, "Duke"), and was distinctive.

Most people don't automatically associate his name with Duke University, unless they're hoops fans. The most common comment is, "Oh...do you mean like "Bull Durham"?

Best damn kid in the world :-)

s.i.

I have a kid at my preschool named Durham, and he's easily my favorite child EVER. Love that name!

itsmoney13
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
We have a 2 yr. old James Duke. Our 2nd boy is Grant Patrick. Grant needs no explanation. But Patrick of course is after Patrick Davidson, the most feared player ever to come through the hallowed halls of Cameron.

Capn Poptart
02-21-2008, 10:31 AM
My bro had a kid in his class growing up named Dukie Durham. No Duke relation or awareness at all, apparently.

bluebear
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Ive got a cockapoo named JJ...

Our basset hound is JJ...
We are in the process of choosing a name for our first child and my wife seems to be on to all the standard Duke choices..going to have to slip in something more creative...

Memphis Devil
02-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I was moments away from convincing my wife to name our first son Laettner. Man, that would have been sweet!

DukeDevil
02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
A real fan would change their last name to make it all Duke.

Jason Carlos Redick

Cameron Michael Hill

Grant Boozer Williams

MrBisonDevil
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
BabyBisonDevil (boy) is due July 08. Wife picked GRANT as a leading name. I love it, but we still have a few more months.

DukeDevil
02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Not a duke name, but BisonDevil made me think of it...

Emily Bison ______

Nickname would be Em Bison!

Street Fighter!

DukeDevilDeb
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Bobby's oldest child is named Cameron. Seems like he told the world where he was the happiest!

pamtar
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
2. Our dog is named Bodhi, not Cameron, but friends appreciate his most awesome trick: When you tell him to "play defense," he crouches and slaps the floor with his front two paws.

^^That is badass!!

I'm gonna rename our two cockers 'Deac' and 'Cane'.

Acymetric
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
1. When I was in graduate school, I had an aquarium full of goldfish. Their names included BD and Christian. There were also several Marty Clarks in the group.

Easily the coolest thing anyone ever taught their dog.

MusicCityDevil
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM

Could you possibly YouTube that?

Carter431
02-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I have a dog named Dockery and convinced an ex-boyfriend to name his dog Ellie after Elton Brand.

bjornolf
02-21-2008, 08:06 PM
are Sean Patrick (for Dockery and Johnson) and Michael Cameron (for K and the Eddie).

YmoBeThere
02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
My avatar is named Grant...

Nesto
02-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Sorry to all the guys named Cameron, but, personally, always associate Cameron with Diaz and CIS. Almost forgot! In addition to the daughter named Cameron - my oldest daughter is JJ!