PDA

View Full Version : Dribble drive motion?

wiscodevil
02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Anyone read this week's SI article on the offense Memphis uses? Thoughts? Is this something similar to what Duke has been doing this year? I know Coach K favors a less structured offense - allowing players to create mismatches and their own shots and seems to prefer driving to the hoop and kicking out, but we also employ a lot of screens, which it sounds like the Memphis offense doesn't.

Any thoughts?

bird
02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
I am no expert . . . but is seems to me that the No. 1 option of our penetrations is a kick to the corners for a three pointer, while the offense described in the SI article seems to emphasize a pass to a post player.

We are not screening as much as we have in past years, but we continue to screen. It seemed like every offensive set during the Jason Williams era started with a high screen at the top of the circle. This year's screening appears to be a bit hurried and half-hearted, more designed to create a bit of confusion rather than actual pick. And we don't do it as much.

This year's offense does depend on creativity off the dribble, much like the the offense described. Which is interesting, in that while we have a number of very good dribblers (including, I would say, Paulus), I would say the only one approaching brilliance is Nolan. I also note that Jumbo has had comments on the failure to use Jon's creativity off the dribble, given that he often ends up in the corner waiting for the kick.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I am no expert . . . but is seems to me that the No. 1 option of our penetrations is a kick to the corners for a three pointer, while the offense described in the SI article seems to emphasize a pass to a post player.

We are not screening as much as we have in past years, but we continue to screen. It seemed like every offensive set during the Jason Williams era started with a high screen at the top of the circle. This year's screening appears to be a bit hurried and half-hearted, more designed to create a bit of confusion rather than actual pick. And we don't do it as much.

This year's offense does depend on creativity off the dribble, much like the the offense described. Which is interesting, in that while we have a number of very good dribblers (including, I would say, Paulus), I would say the only one approaching brilliance is Nolan. I also note that Jumbo has had comments on the failure to use Jon's creativity off the dribble, given that he often ends up in the corner waiting for the kick.

Ultimately, it won't matter as long as Memphis doesn't improve on their free-throw shooting. I think it will ultimately be their downfall in the E-8 for F-4.

throatybeard
02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Anyone read this week's SI article on the offense Memphis uses? Thoughts? Is this something similar to what Duke has been doing this year? I know Coach K favors a less structured offense - allowing players to create mismatches and their own shots and seems to prefer driving to the hoop and kicking out, but we also employ a lot of screens, which it sounds like the Memphis offense doesn't.

Any thoughts?

Thanks dbb03--I was hoping someone would bring this up. I thought it the most interesting BB article I've read in SI in quite some time. Bob Hurley is a major player in the article.

Duke is mentioned:

Wallberg's invention shares some elements with European-style drive-and-kick formations and the fast-paced spread offense of Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, parts of which are being used by Duke, texas, and UMass. But Wallberg is sui generis.

Ignatius07
02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
This year's screening appears to be a bit hurried and half-hearted, more designed to create a bit of confusion rather than actual pick. And we don't do it as much.

I agree that sometimes the screen is clearly used for confusion - especially when Lance is setting it - but it seems like we are using it on a TON of possessions this year. Maybe not as much as the turn-of-the-millennium teams, but definitely a lot.

mehmattski
02-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I agree that sometimes the screen is clearly used for confusion - especially when Lance is setting it - but it seems like we are using it on a TON of possessions this year. Maybe not as much as the turn-of-the-millennium teams, but definitely a lot.

It was especially obvious in the NC State and Miami home games, when Greg had his unbelievable shooting nights. More often than not, Greg's wide open threes were created by a screen up top by Kyle Singler (and occasionally Taylor King). I made this assessment in response to Jumbos findings for that game: that Greg's +/- went way down when Kyle was off the court.

weezie
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
A little late to the discussion here but when I deciphered all the fancy squiggles and mystic dotted lines, even I thought the plays were Duke's. Another windy SI article trying to sound deep and scholarly. Plus, the picture of Tyler during our game was so adorable. ;)