PDA

View Full Version : Divided Loyalties

ramdevil
03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
This great day is also a very difficult day for me and for my family. We are long-time Duke fans. I am a Duke grad, married to a Duke grad, daughter of a Duke grad, and sister of two Duke grads. We all follow Duke basketball - men's and women's - and have for many years.

But. But.

But I also work at VCU, and we have watched and enjoyed the growth of the University and its basketball team. We're not season ticket holders, but we do get to as many games as we can. I love VCU and what it does for its students and the community. We were thrilled when Jeff Capel was hired, and Anthony Grant is also a very classy - and excellent - coach. Eric Maynor is great, and Calvin Roland is our favorite player because of his heart.

So, now it is d-day. We have been in equal parts dreading today and looking forward to it. I am trying to embrace both teams - I am wearing my VCU Gold Out shirt, my Duke jacket, and Duke earrings. On the plus side, one of our favorite teams will go to the second round. But. One will definitely lose!

I don't really know what I will do tonight. (If I restrict myself to reading Bob Lipper's columns in the Richmond Times-Dispatch, I will definitely root for Duke!) As consolation (?) - Jeff Capel, and to some extent Gerald Henderson Sr. (whose number hangs in VCU's Siegal Center) - are also torn (Henderson less so...).

ramdevil

BlueDevilBaby
03-15-2007, 11:53 AM
You have the best of both worlds. Root hard for both teams and be happy with the result!

AKG
03-15-2007, 12:56 PM
With all due respect, this shouldn't be a difficult decision. I'm all for underdogs, but this is the tournament! Pull yourself together!

gep
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
As consolation (?) - Jeff Capel, and to some extent Gerald Henderson Sr. (whose number hangs in VCU's Siegal Center) - are also torn (Henderson less so...).
ramdevil

Just curious... and I don't know all the history... why would Henderson, Sr. be "less so" torn? Seems he should be "as" torn as Jeff... maybe even more if his jersey is hanging at VCU, and his son is the rising star at Duke (or did I miss something). Anyway... you are lucky you can't lose tonite. With that said... GO DUKE!!!

Clipsfan
03-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I know that the committee says that they don't try to set up interesting matchups, but I really don't believe them. There are just too many coincidences. For instance, in the VCU game, a K protege was the coach as recently as last year, and one of our players' dad went there and had his jersey retired. Is it coincidence that VCU is our matchup?

ramdevil
03-15-2007, 02:48 PM
According to our paper, he (Henderson Sr.) says he is definitely rooting for Duke. Capel was also interviewed, but he sounded more torn because he recruited the current VCU players.

gep
03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info... I can see Capel's dilemma. Recruiting players (and families, especially mom's, from what I've gathered), must be really hard when leaving them...