PDA

View Full Version : First Game in Cameron, Suggestions?

RockyMtDevil
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
This Saturday, I'm fulfilling a bucket list goal of finally watching a Duke game in Cameron, it's quite a dream come true for me honestly and I'm humbled to get the opportunity to do it.

For all those in the know, what should I expect? Are there any pre-game activities to join in on? How early should I arrive for the St. John's game? And most importantly, where are the good BBQ Restaurants?

Any of the DBR readers get together post-game for drinks?

Classof06
02-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I graduated a few years ago, so I don't know any of the pregame stuff to do. But as far as BBQ, you might want to try Bullock's BBQ which isn't too far from Cameron. About a 5 minute drive from campus, if I'm not mistaken.

And I don't know how much Duke gear you have but a lot of fans tend to migrate towards the bookstore in the Bryan Center to get stuff either before or after the game. I know I made a pit stop after the BC game to pick up a few things :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
This Saturday, I'm fulfilling a bucket list goal of finally watching a Duke game in Cameron, it's quite a dream come true for me honestly and I'm humbled to get the opportunity to do it.

For all those in the know, what should I expect? Are there any pre-game activities to join in on? How early should I arrive for the St. John's game? And most importantly, where are the good BBQ Restaurants?

Any of the DBR readers get together post-game for drinks?
I like to get to Cameron as much as an hour early. The warm ups are going on, sometimes interesting things happen during this time period. Being there at least an hour ahead will give you the opportunity to walk around the concourse and look at all the Duke memorabilia before the area becomes too crowded to be able to move about much.

As for shopping for Duke things, you might also try the Duck Shop on Ninth Street near East Campus. The prices are reasonable and the stock is somewhat different than you'll find in the Bryan Center. It closes at 5P on Saturdays I think, so this might be a stop before the game. Bullocks is probably your best best for BBQ after the game. If you want BBQ during the game, there is a vendor in the concourse area next to the new basketball building. The sandwiches are pretty good as is the sweet iced tea. The vendor operates a very successful restaurant in nearby Alamance County.

Halftime of the St. John's game there will be a brief ceremony honoring Vic Bubas, one of Duke's great coaches.

Please send me a PM if you have questions or want more details.

OldPhiKap
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Just remember, Rocky -- we are counting on YOU to pull us through this one. Have a great time, and don't let us down!!!

Highlander
02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I believe you can now get a Bullock's BBQ sandwich inside Cameron at the concessions booth on the concourse level now. So skip the pregame meal and just eat at Cameron if you want Bullock's.

I'd suggest you take a walk through the hall of honor, and if you're there early, walk down to the student section (or to the front of the seats) and watch for a bit.

GDT
02-19-2008, 05:05 PM
For all those in the know, what should I expect? Are there any pre-game activities to join in on?

The Washington Duke Inn can be fun to hang out pre and post game.

monkey
02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Make sure to dress very warmly, as it is often quite cool in Cameron ;)

Indoor66
02-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Make sure to dress very warmly, as it is often quite cool in Cameron ;)

That is cruel.

Cameron is always very hot.

Classof06
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Haha, I forgot how hot Cameron was and wore a long-sleeved T to the BC game. Needless to say, I was burnin up!

dukegirlinsc
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I graduated a few years ago, so I don't know any of the pregame stuff to do. But as far as BBQ, you might want to try Bullock's BBQ which isn't too far from Cameron. About a 5 minute drive from campus, if I'm not mistaken.

And I don't know how much Duke gear you have but a lot of fans tend to migrate towards the bookstore in the Bryan Center to get stuff either before or after the game. I know I made a pit stop after the BC game to pick up a few things :)

the bryan center is easily one of my favorite places on earth.
besides cameron, of course.

weezie
02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Try the Que Shack. The sides (fried okra and collards, especially) are great and the smoked turkey is fantastic. We like it better than Bullock's but in no way do I want to start a war.
Also, Mellow Mushroom pizza down by the Durham Bulls park is very good.

One other thing, you might want to take in a plastic trash bag to stuff your coats into and place under your seats in Cameron. Spilled sodas can cause headaches.

bdh21
02-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I recommend a Bojangles tailgate special and a case of Busch Light consumed while waiting outside of Cameron. Hey, it's always worked for me...

godukerocks
02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
the bryan center is easily one of my favorite places on earth.
besides cameron, of course.

Every year I make one or two trips to Duke, and half my time is spent in the Bryan Center alone.

Quite simply, it rocks.

ricks68
02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Bring a plastic garbage bag with you to put your coat in during the game. Then stick it under your seat on the floor. Seriously. Just wear a Duke t-shirt underneath your jacket. It gets very hot.

Get there more than an hour early. K-ville will still be there. Walk around the tenting and soak it in.

Visit the new facility and the Hall of Honor. (I think that's what it is called)You can get a view overlooking the new bball courts via the new connection to the sports displays in the Hall of Honor.

At the half, meet some of the guys from DBR by the restroom on the second level in the corner by section 9. (Please confirm that, someone.)

Park for 5 bucks at one of 2 lots on Towerview Rd, just east of Cameron. About 100 yds from the stadium. Otherwise, it can be a long walk. Another good option is to park at Bryan well before the game and shop in the store. Then, walk from there. The walk back is nice through the campus in the dark. It's well lit, and pleasant.

Make a reservation for dinner after the game at Nana's, Pop's, Parizade, etc., but make sure to leave time of at least an hour or so to hang around on the floor after the game. It's one of my favorite times. You can talk to some of the player's parents and maybe some ex-ballers while waiting for some of the players to come out from the locker room.

Eat at Elmo's in the am before leaving.

I've got the flu, and can't get it totally together, here. So could someone "tighten" what I wrote up a little bit where necessary.
Thanks.

ricks

dukegirlinsc
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I recommend a Bojangles tailgate special and a case of Busch Light consumed while waiting outside of Cameron. Hey, it's always worked for me...

you can't go wrong with the tailgate special from bo's.
god bless.

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I believe you can now get a Bullock's BBQ sandwich inside Cameron at the concessions booth on the concourse level now. So skip the pregame meal and just eat at Cameron if you want Bullock's.

I'd suggest you take a walk through the hall of honor, and if you're there early, walk down to the student section (or to the front of the seats) and watch for a bit.

Oh Hell NO. That's sacriledge. If it's not catered at your house, the only other way to eat it is at the restaraunt. I don't recall seeing a BBQ pit in Cameron last game I was at. Go before or after the game and sit down and enjoy it. I remember going game day so many times when I was a kid. (38 now, ugggh)
Other than that, prepare to have a blast. Go early, laugh at the crazies, stay late, get some pictures on the floor. GO DUKE!

2535Miles
02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh Hell NO. That's sacriledge. If it's not catered at your house, the only other way to eat it is at the restaraunt.

I had my aunt and cousins fly out an order of brunswick stew and a few pints of q when they visited me in California. Sacrilege, maybe. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :D

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I had my aunt and cousins fly out an order of brunswick stew and a few pints of q when they visited me in California. Sacrilege, maybe. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :D

Ya, but you had few options..lol. I would do the same on trips home when I lived out of state.

sagegrouse
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
This is always part of my strategy.

I either stay at the Wash Duke (expensive but worth it). Or, I have a pregame meal/snack/drink there. The Fairview restaurant at the Wash Duke is good, but too much trouble for lunch. The bar has great small meals and local beers on tap.

Then I walk from the Wash Duke to the game. It's less than ten minutes. (Bryan Center is another five minutes.) There's no traffic getting there and -- best of all -- there's no traffic leaving. If the gendarmes are present, tell them you plan to have lunch at the hotel -- the truth -- (or play golf or stay there or whatever).

Bullock's is a nostalgia item for former students. For me, it is more of a sociological experience than a gustatory event. The menu is huge -- the food arrives in five minutes (a lot of steam trays in back, to be sure) -- there is no alcohol served. The BBQ is pretty good; the hush puppies are good, and some of the down-home cooking is worth trying. If you are not there before 5:30, it always seems there is a line out the door. (Did I mention this place is cheap?)

Have a great weekend!

sagegrouse

RockyMtDevil
02-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, from parking, getting to Cameron early, trash bags, shopping and of course BBQ.

I've got tickets on the floor under the hoop, so I can't ask for a better experience, so long as we win.

devildeac
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, from parking, getting to Cameron early, trash bags, shopping and of course BBQ.

I've got tickets on the floor under the hoop, so I can't ask for a better experience, so long as we win.

what kind of beer will you be bringing to NC with you to enjoy before the game or did you need a suggestion or two regarding what might be tasty to take back to the Rockies with you?

rockymtn devil
02-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Not gonna lie, I saw this thread and immediately thought someone was posting under my name.

As for suggestions, see if you can convince someone going into the media room at halftime to snatch you a few cookies. Halftime cookies were always a highlight during games!

BamaBlueDevil
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM

It's definitely a local favorite and I've seen players (current and ex) there every once in a while....

RockyMtDevil
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll bring some Fat Tire, Laughing Lab and maybe even some 1554 Brew from New Belgium. Colorado may lack for hoops, but we make up for it in Hops.

Sorry Rockymntn_devil, not sure when you signed on with your name, but I've had this sig for 7 years now, hope there's not too much confusion.

dukehockey05
02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
You should definitely get to campus early (maybe 2 hours). For the 1st hour, walk around campus, k-ville, etc. Then, head inside and check out the warm-ups. The crazies will already be filling up the student section, and you'll hear some funny cheers and see the players interacting with the students.

For BBQ, I like the Q-Shack. Best mac n cheese ever.

PumpkinFunk
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Definitely go to Bullock's. It's by far the best BBQ I have ever had.

Get to the game at least an hour before the game if you want to watch the players warm up, listen to the band, and see the Crazies get in - I expect a lot of us are gonna be going all out for the game this Saturday. Definitely go walk around K-ville, that's a highlight, and just be sure to wear something that is Duke blue. And don't wear green - that's a color people don't like to see after that NC State game