PDA

View Full Version : Ray Charles on the Johnny Cash show

allenmurray
02-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow! It is not too often that I am really surprised by something I didn't know was out there. My wonderful wife gave me a dvd of highlights from the Johnny Cash TV show as a Valentine's Day gift. On it there is a clip of Ray Charles performing Ring of Fire. There is no attempt to "countrify" it - and RC did a number of country tunes. He does this as a straight up soul number. It is simply incredible.

You can find it on youtube, but given the stature of these two, Cash and Charles, as two of the most important American performers, it iw well worth buying the dvd for the superior audio/visual quality. All of te songs on the dvd have surprisingly high production values - they were recorded in much higher quality than most TV things of that time period (69 - 71). Cash saved the original tapes from which these were remastered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhGZdSkX6IM

BlueDevilBaby
02-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Good to know that is out there. Now I've got a mother's day, birthday or Christmas present for my mom.

dball
02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Check out "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music". There's also a volume 2.

A few of Ray's biggest songs were 'country': Born To Lose, I Can't Stop Loving You, You Don't Know Me, You Are My Sunshine and Take These Chains From My Heart.

allenmurray
02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Check out "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music". There's also a volume 2.

A few of Ray's biggest songs were 'country': Born To Lose, I Can't Stop Loving You, You Don't Know Me, You Are My Sunshine and Take These Chains From My Heart.

I'm familiar with those - what I really like abut this was that he made no attempt to do it as a country song - he simply did it as a straight up soul song.