PDA

View Full Version : Manufactured K/Roy injury disclosure controversy

freedevil
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
From Roy's radio show:

"...in regards to what someone else [Coach K] said about they [Duke] have injuries too which is a bunch of bunk, I don't give a crap what somebody else [Coach K] said, coach his own damn team and I'll coach my team, in case anybody has heard some statements about that. So somebody [Coach K] who talks about us publishing our injuries, they should worry about their own selves"

Commence laughter......... now.

norduck
02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Link?

Duke79UNLV77
02-18-2008, 10:04 PM
to our playing neutral site games rather than true road games, drawing charges, and having more mcdonald's all-americans than unc.

i have to say i find ole roy more obnoxious than i ever found dean. dean also would not have run up the score as egregiously as ole roy did on about 5 occasions last year. of course, when a coach regularly offers about 80% of the top 20 rated recruits scholarships, one has to wonder about the non-basketball criteria.

dukegirlinsc
02-18-2008, 10:07 PM
From Roy's radio show:

"...in regards to what someone else [Coach K] said about they [Duke] have injuries too which is a bunch of bunk, I don't give a crap what somebody else [Coach K] said, coach his own damn team and I'll coach my team, in case anybody has heard some statements about that. So somebody [Coach K] who talks about us publishing our injuries, they should worry about their own selves"

you have GOT to be freakin' kidding me.
class is ooooooooozing out of his pores on a daily basis.

pratt '04
02-18-2008, 10:10 PM
From Roy's radio show:

"...in regards to what someone else [Coach K] said about they [Duke] have injuries too which is a bunch of bunk,

Does he not believe that G injured his wrist or that Nolan hyper-extended his knee? How is that a "bunch of bunk"?

DBFAN
02-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Is this for real, and if so what sparked this little outburst.

freedevil
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty certain it is for real, but I'm trying to find a link. A buddy of mine swore he heard it on the radio.

And it was sparked by K essentially saying after the Wake loss last night, We're injured too, but we don't put it out in the press. [Taking a jab at Roy's constant injury updates]

pratt '04
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
And it was sparked by K essentially saying after the Wake loss last night, We're injured too, but we don't put it out in the press. [Taking a jab at Roy's constant injury updates]

I heard K's postgame comments on the Duke Radio Network last night, and they didn't strike me as a jab at Roy. K was talking about Nolan's great play last night and reminded the listeners that Nolan had played through an injury for several of the games where his production was down. He was saying that just because you don't hear a report of a Duke player being injured, that doesn't mean that they are 100% healthy.

DBFAN
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I listened to the post game interview as well, and never once thought about Carolina, I thought coach was just talking about his own team.

Mike Corey
02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I heard K's postgame comments on the Duke Radio Network last night, and they didn't strike me as a jab at Roy. K was talking about Nolan's great play last night and reminded the listeners that Nolan had played through an injury for several of the games where his production was down. He was saying that just because you don't hear a report of a Duke player being injured, that doesn't mean that they are 100% healthy.

Double entendres are great.

See you in a few months, Pratt'04.

hurleyfor3
02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Scoreboard.

BigTedder
02-18-2008, 11:18 PM
From Roy's radio show:

no offense freedevil...but I call bullbutter......I just can't believe he would be dumb enough to say that....well, nevermind, yeah I can. Refer to his tenure at Kansas.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty certain it is for real, but I'm trying to find a link. A buddy of mine swore he heard it on the radio.

Since what you've reported is from an indirect source, I'm reserving judgment until there is a link or other way to verify what was actually said.

feldspar
02-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I couldn't give a sh*t about injuries right now.

hondoheel
02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
I must say, Roy is full of it. His earlier comments were CLEARLY directed at Duke, so why is he suddenly so defensive about someone saying something about his team?

That said, of course K was referring to UNC when he said Duke had injuries too.

Earlier this year there was a thread on IC talking about Roy responding to a fan's email on his radio show. The emailer asked how and if Roy was working with Tyler on passing out of double teams. Roy went on to insult the emailer in a very condescending manner, ending with he had forgotten more about basketball than the caller would ever learn.

I don't feel the same way at all about Roy as I did for Dean. I don't think there will ever be another coach as gracious as Smith who is also at the top of the game.

FerryFor50
02-19-2008, 12:39 AM
I must say, Roy is full of it. His earlier comments were CLEARLY directed at Duke, so why is he suddenly so defensive about someone saying something about his team?

That said, of course K was referring to UNC when he said Duke had injuries too.

Earlier this year there was a thread on IC talking about Roy responding to a fan's email on his radio show. The emailer asked how and if Roy was working with Tyler on passing out of double teams. Roy went on to insult the emailer in a very condescending manner, ending with he had forgotten more about basketball than the caller would ever learn.

I don't feel the same way at all about Roy as I did for Dean. I don't think there will ever be another coach as gracious as Smith who is also at the top of the game.

I dunno. Dean wasn't exactly a patron saint either. Remember the Rick Barnes feud? Smith also used to say some snide things, not to mention I'm not 100% convinced that Dean-o didn't bend the ol' NCAA rules to build some of those Tarhole teams.

SeattleIrish
02-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Judging from this IC thread, it sounds like Roy did make that comment:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=78&F=1410#s=78&f=1410&t=2058750

I can't really see how he can get so upset, after making the "Duke PR" comment. Frustrating.

s.i.

sandinmyshoes
02-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Other than his over playing of his "country boy" routine, I find Roy Williams refreshing because he's willing to show more emotion than Coach K or Dean Smith tended to do. I always got the feeling that Coach K and Smith are/were major control freaks and tended to hide what they felt, excepting on the sidelines.

Williams says some goofy things, but at least you get a sense of what he's really thinking. As for this one, I don't know if I'd have brought it up unprompted, as appears to be the case, but I could see why he would want to reply to Coach K's dig (and I think it was clearly a dig at UNC's injury updates). Especially since UNC didn't really go all out to publish those reports but were responding to media interest in them.

This sort of thing is childish on the part of both coaches, but we all love the guilty pleasure of seeing the rivalry fires stoked. :cool:

weezie
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=78&F=1410#s=78&f=1410&t=2058750

They're a classless bunch of yeehaws over there.....

RelativeWays
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I don't see why people think K was taking a jab at UNC's injury reports when he was talking about his own team, the injuries that the UNC players had, (Lawson, Ginyard, Thompson and Green with the flu) were affecting whether or not they would play in a particular game. The injuries that the Duke players had (Hendo's wrist, Scheyer and Smiths knees banged up) may not have been severe enough to question whether or not they play but it can effect their performance, not to mention league play takes a toll on the body. Most coaches probably DON'T release injury reports for players that will play so the other team doesn't exploit them. People want to jump to so many conclusions whenever K or Roy says anything, oftentimes people want to infer whatever fits their worldview about the other team. In this case its Roy that seems to be jumping to conclusions. Not everything is about him.

TNTDevil
02-19-2008, 08:17 AM

And it was sparked by K essentially saying after the Wake loss last night, We're injured too, but we don't put it out in the press. [Taking a jab at Roy's constant injury updates]It was on Roy's radio show last night, the local Sports/Talk AM station (850 The Buzz) has been playing it all morning and making pretty good sport of ol' Roy.

freedevil
02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Here's your link.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/730184.html

dukegirlinsc
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Scoreboard.

ftw!

merry
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
... the injuries that the UNC players had, (Lawson, Ginyard, Thompson and Green with the flu) were affecting whether or not they would play in a particular game.

Do you really think it was ever possible that six UNC players (I read seven somewhere but can't find the reference now) might miss a game? Here's an example where it states three might not play against VT and three others would play ill/injured. It may not be Roy's fault that this has been all over the press, but here in NC there was hardly an article about UNC in the past week or so that didn't mention the turf toe, removed toenail etc. This was never reported as simply an informative list of who might not be able to play.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/mens_basketball/story/947824.html
(from Feb 16)

"As many as three of the top six Tar Heels --Ty Lawson, power forward Deon Thompson and sixth man Danny Green -- could miss today's game against Virginia Tech, while three others -- All-America post forward Tyler Hansbrough, small forward Marcus Ginyard and point guard Quentin Thomas -- will play with varying degrees of pain."

FerryFor50
02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Do you really think it was ever possible that six UNC players (I read seven somewhere but can't find the reference now) might miss a game? Here's an example where it states three might not play against VT and three others would play ill/injured. It may not be Roy's fault that this has been all over the press, but here in NC there was hardly an article about UNC in the past week or so that didn't mention the turf toe, removed toenail etc. This was never reported as simply an informative list of who might not be able to play.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/mens_basketball/story/947824.html
(from Feb 16)

"As many as three of the top six Tar Heels --Ty Lawson, power forward Deon Thompson and sixth man Danny Green -- could miss today's game against Virginia Tech, while three others -- All-America post forward Tyler Hansbrough, small forward Marcus Ginyard and point guard Quentin Thomas -- will play with varying degrees of pain."

They're a sensitive bunch, eh? :D

pratt '04
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Here's a link with audio from 850 the buzz

850thebuzz (http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4041)

Joe Ovies (who wrote the blurb) seems to think Roy is a whiner too (note the image of the Whaaahmbulance)

The Gordog
02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
to our playing neutral site games rather than true road games, drawing charges, and having more mcdonald's all-americans than unc.

i have to say i find ole roy more obnoxious than i ever found dean. dean also would not have run up the score as egregiously as ole roy did on about 5 occasions last year. of course, when a coach regularly offers about 80% of the top 20 rated recruits scholarships, one has to wonder about the non-basketball criteria.
Non-basketball criteria? That's a foreign concept at UNC!

dynastydefender
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Needs to lighten up. I am beginning to believe the UNC program has zero class.

RPS
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
As much as I enjoyed pounding Carolina with regularity when they were down, isn't it great that Duke-Carolina really matters again? K and Ol' Roy are as good as they are in large measure because they are competitors, which means that jibes, insinuations, conflict, etc. are inevitable. Enjoy it!

Crazie'11
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Classless alright, but still, my favorite Ol'Roy quote would have to be:

"I could give a ^$%^$%^$%^$% about North Carolina right now"

jipops
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Next time Roy has a press conference, count number of times he refers to himself in the 3rd person. It's humorous and at the same time quite irritating. One has to have quite an ego for that kind of habit.

EarlJam
02-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Next time Roy has a press conference, count number of times he refers to himself in the 3rd person. It's humorous and at the same time quite irritating. One has to have quite an ego for that kind of habit.

EarlJam will make a point to pay attention this during the next Roy press conference. EarlJam loves it when 'ol Roy gets frustrated. EarlJam simply can't get enough of it.

-EarlJam

Atlanta Duke
02-19-2008, 05:30 PM
AP and CNN.SI have picked up the story, so away we go

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/02/19/unc.duke.ap/index.html

Channing
02-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I didnt hear the K interview nor did I listen to the Roy interview. However, it really seems like it was unnecessary for K to take a dig at Carolina. He could have made the same point by just saying "we have been suffering some injuries and had some guys really tough it out the last few games, which might explain why some production has been down."

I dont think Roy's reaction was necessarily appropriate, but I think K could have avoided the back and forth altogether.

billy
02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Assuming the quote below (from the 850thebuzz blog) is accurate, K could mean any school in the country. Strange he'd take it so personally....

"Nolan hyper-extended his knee at Maryland and has been dealing with that since - and unlike other schools we don’t release our injuries - so I thought he played a strong game tonight. It was good to see that. He has been getting healthier although he did tweak it again tonight."

dukegirlinsc
02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Needs to lighten up. I am beginning to believe the UNC program has zero class.

i'm close to agreeing.

weezie
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Poor Roy.....he can't help it if he graduated from unc. It's the best the poor fellow could do. :(

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Assuming the quote below (from the 850thebuzz blog) is accurate, K could mean any school in the country. Strange he'd take it so personally....

"Nolan hyper-extended his knee at Maryland and has been dealing with that since - and unlike other schools we don’t release our injuries - so I thought he played a strong game tonight. It was good to see that. He has been getting healthier although he did tweak it again tonight."
I had the same thought. Perhaps the media have had a big role in creating this conflict.

Acymetric
02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
From Roy's radio show:

So is he implying that we DON'T have injuries? I don't see how that could possibly be considered bunk, we lost a guy for a season, and one other one will probably not be 100% till next year! Not to mention Nolan...

calltheobvious
02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
K totally baited Roy here, and Roy was silly enough to take it. Not that K doesn't have a good sense of humor, but I don't think it gets put on display often enough.

What I really want to know is whether K thought Roy would jump on this. Whatever the prediction, I can't imagine he thought Roy would make a complete a** out of himself in the process. Part of the fun of the story is the plausible deniability K has in the matter (except not really), whereas Roy, well...

Acymetric
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
K totally baited Roy here, and Roy was silly enough to take it. Not that K doesn't have a good sense of humor, but I don't think it gets put on display often enough.

What I really want to know is whether K thought Roy would jump on this. Whatever the prediction, I can't imagine he thought Roy would make a complete a** out of himself in the process. Part of the fun of the story is the plausible deniability K has in the matter (except not really), whereas Roy, well...

I'd be curious to actually hear K's quote. The inflection would give me a better idea of what he was or wasn't implying. Anyone have audio somewhere?

-jk
02-19-2008, 06:16 PM

I don't think K's above a little gamesmanship. It's all part of, well, the game. Deano was an absolute master, and did his best to teach Ol' Roy. (And I still miss Rick Barnes. He also played it well.)

-jk

superdave
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Just saw a back and forth on the local news tonight in the Triangle. They quoted K as saying Nolan Smith hyper extended his knee but you might not have known that since we dont publish our injuries...so we are proud of the way Nolan played.

Then they showed Roy's response, which DBR quotes, from his coaches show and then again today. They played the crap and damn parts...and then today he said "dadgum". Pretty funny.

Roy is such a yokel. If he werent in coaching he could be doing voiceovers for cartoons.

KyDevilinIL
02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Gamesmanship, sure. But this sounds like a little frustration boiling to the surface to me. Good, smart coaches usually don't publicly let little things like that irk them so much if things are sunshine and roses in their own camp.

Ben63
02-19-2008, 06:42 PM
ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3253829

BlueintheFace
02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
This reminds me of High School. The smart kid makes a clever insult that is inoffensive on it's surface but cutting nonetheless. In response the dumb hick tells the smart kid he's an (expletive) and to step outside. It's just an inferiority complex thing.

freedevil
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
^ Haha.

mpj96
02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Has anyone else heard that Lawson was medically cleared for VA Tech but his dad will not let him play until he is completely pain free out of a concern for his pro career?

If true, Roy may be feeling especially Carolina puke blue these days. Perhaps we should take it easy on the big fella. :D

oldnavy
02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
You know what is funny, now that the tarholes have a coach that curses in public and does commercials, you don't hear much about how evil those two things are anymore from the unc faithful.
Roy is fake, there isn't a genuine bone in his body. "Shucks" I even saw him drinking a "dadgum" Mountain Dew on TV not long ago.

sundown
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
This reminds me of High School. The smart kid makes a clever insult that is inoffensive on it's surface but cutting nonetheless. In response the dumb hick tells the smart kid he's an (expletive) and to step outside. It's just an inferiority complex thing.

Awesome.

killerleft
02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Coach K may have been trying a little gamesmanship, and if so, he clearly cleaned Roy's clock.

But I didn't take the quote that way. Lots of teams, certainly including the heels, do publicize injuries more than Duke. I think Coach K was giving his guys some credit and complementing them on their toughness. And K has always downplayed injuries and challenged his team to overcome adversity. If this is the case, Roy just cleaned his own clock.

Good boy, 'ol Roy, either way!!

TwoDukeTattoos
02-19-2008, 07:54 PM
So, I am on the way home doing my nightly routine - Listening to DG (greatest local media talent) and the callers are ranting and raving in response to recent press conferences. Evidently, Roy took disliked a comment made by Krzyzewski on Sunday that the Blue Devils don't discuss injuries "unlike other schools." Williams felt that this was a cheap shot at his team. It was enough for Roy to comment on his radio show, telling an unspecified individual to "coach their own (expletive) team, I'll coach my team." In his press conference today (for the State game) he focused again on the comments.

Rather than try to spell out the entire scenario, you can visit http://www.wral.com/sports/basketball/ncaa/story/2457731/ to view the complete story.

Anyway, MANY Tarholes were calling into the DG show to slam K and Duke. Quite disturbing. Some Dukies were calling also, but we need more support for our team. (for what it's worth, I called in to offer my 2 pennies) GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

billy
02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
The best part of all this is the distraction for UNC - Roy was being interviewed by the media Tuesday and instead of focusing on the NCSU game tomorrow, many of the questions were about "Toenailgate"

DevilWolf
02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I'll be amazingly disappointed if the tipoff on March 8th isn't slightly delayed so they can clean up the thousands of pacifiers thrown on the court when Roy takes his place on the sidelines.

mapei
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I'll be amazingly disappointed if the tipoff on March 8th isn't slightly delayed so they can clean up the thousands of pacifiers thrown on the court when Roy takes his place on the sidelines.

Good one!

I actually like Roy for the most part, but this one was really petty.

Stray Gator
02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
This is just superb work by K. He is so far under Roy's skin, and so deep into Roy's head, that it's nothing short of comical. Somewhere in the ethers, Sun Tzu (the original one, not the former DBR poster who used that name) must be chuckling proudly.

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7817558?MSNHPHMA

More on the same...

blueprofessor
02-19-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www6.comcast.net/sports/articles/general/2008/02/20/BKC.Coaches_.Spat/
Apparently,one of the graduates of UNC's School of Janitorial Services(also ranked 26th in America) gained access to Comcast's home page and wrote a ,sob, wonderfully supportive article of Roy the Inferiority Case and cited UNC's injuries almost as far as the sick cat owned by the last scrub (aka "suck-up chest bumper" for anyone who actually got in the game and "keeper of Roy's granny glasses")on the end of the UNC bench. No mention of Scheyer, Pocius,Zoubs, et al.:p
Best regards.:)

devildeac
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh, FITster, where art thou oh flittering one when we need you for a feature on the front page...

Lulu
02-19-2008, 11:26 PM
So really, is there a link to Coack K's audio anywhere? Was it a radio interview after the game? The exact quotation (which I still haven't figured out after reading this entire thread) and the inflection in his voice would say a lot. I don't put it past Coack K to make such a comment on a whim though, he does like to get smart with the reporters sometimes, usually it's pretty funny (and to me, still is here).

gep
02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Evidently, Roy took disliked a comment made by Krzyzewski on Sunday that the Blue Devils don't discuss injuries "unlike other schools." Williams felt that this was a cheap shot at his team.

"unlike other schools"... this reminds me of the old saying "if the shoe fits..." Why does Roy think immediately the the comment is directed at him and his team. Roy must have an inferiority complex when it comes to Coach K... kinda reminds me of the "other" Williams in the ACC:D

godukecom
02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Roy honestly is the worst excuse for a HOF coach i can think of. HOF members arent little crybabies. If roy was our coach (yeach) here is what our injury list would look like:

Greg- Out with sore back, unlikely to ever play again
Gerald- Awaiting Hand Amputation, out 4-6 years
Kyle- Sore face from all the stitches, out 10-12 years
Demarcus- Out with a boo-boo on his toe after someone stepped on his foot during practice
Jon- Out with flu-like symptoms, unlikely to play for the next 12-18 months
Lance- ingrown toenail (might be the worst excuse; i had one and was able to PR in the 5k with it) return pending media reaction
Taylor- out with [insert some made up word sed to describe soreness from hitting too many 3s in practice] for the next few seasons at least.

Barry Bonds, Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens- out with infection from HGH injections

skopi
02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
I don't know if Coach K meant to get Ol Roy's goat, but I think he should get triple points because:

1. He got a rise out of Roy.
2. He got Roy to say "dadgum"
3. He got Roy to refer to himself in the 3rd person.

Talk about a hat trick all in one throwaway statement!

RelativeWays
02-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Anyone think Ol Roy is playing this up to motivate his guys for the last match up, or even now? The comment was pretty veiled that when it was originally made, nobody thought two things of it. Any sensible coach would shrug his shoulders with a "whatever" and go about his business. I can't imagine that comment made him that angry unless there is some ulterior motive.

godukecom
02-20-2008, 08:11 AM
RelativeWays, thats interesting, i never thought about that
its possible, but im guessing roy is just a little bit insecure

BD80
02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
The publicity must be great for recruiting, Roy is "peeved", "irked", "set off", "miffed", "ticked off", "riled up", and had his "ire provoked", by Coach K. Only "hissy fit" is missing, dadgum it.

I would rather the issue lay dormant, allowing the tarholes to believe that everything will be fine once Lawson gets back. I also like Roy's policy of dwelling on the injuries - it gets the players to focus on their injuries as reason they might not play well. Coach K focuses on playing well whatever the circumstances.

I don't think Coach K meant to ignite this little firestorm, he was just trying to protect Nolan a bit. He may have been a bit sensitive because of how much criticism Paulus took for his performance while hurt last year.

DukeFencer
02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
I feel for Carolina and all of their injuries. And if Roy does a good job making it apparent that they are winning with 7 injured guys, well, can't part of this be chalked up to him making a case for UNC as a top seed? Politics, and they all play it differently.

However, I personally think where Roy made a huge mistake was including Hansblah's recovery from the removal of an ingrown toenail as part of his "playing through an injury" report. Seriously??? At this point in the season, everyone is playing through bumps and bruises. I'm sure a great deal of players around the country are playing with comparable pain from various ailments that haven't been on the front page of various sports pages.

CMS2478
02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I feel for Carolina and all of their injuries. And if Roy does a good job making it apparent that they are winning with 7 injured guys, well, can't part of this be chalked up to him making a case for UNC as a top seed? Politics, and they all play it differently.

However, I personally think where Roy made a huge mistake was including Hansblah's recovery from the removal of an ingrown toenail as part of his "playing through an injury" report. Seriously??? At this point in the season, everyone is playing through bumps and bruises. I'm sure a great deal of players around the country are playing with comparable pain from various ailments that haven't been on the front page of various sports pages.

I'm sure this late in the season Scheyer's facial muscles must be sore from all those grueling facial expressions he makes but you don't see us whining and putting that on the injury report. ;)

pamtar
02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
This oughta piss everyone off!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7818398/Coaches-heating-up-UNC-Duke-rivalry---

blublood
02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Roy honestly is the worst excuse for a HOF coach i can think of. HOF members arent little crybabies. If roy was our coach (yeach) here is what our injury list would look like:

Greg- Out with sore back, unlikely to ever play again
Gerald- Awaiting Hand Amputation, out 4-6 years
Kyle- Sore face from all the stitches, out 10-12 years
Demarcus- Out with a boo-boo on his toe after someone stepped on his foot during practice
Jon- Out with flu-like symptoms, unlikely to play for the next 12-18 months
Lance- ingrown toenail (might be the worst excuse; i had one and was able to PR in the 5k with it) return pending media reaction
Taylor- out with [insert some made up word used to describe soreness from hitting too many 3s in practice] for the next few seasons at least.

Ha! Excellent assessment (but no more scary jokes about Roy coaching our team, o.k.? The mere combination of words and names made me kinda sick). I remember reading that Dean said at one point that part of his motivation for retiring was that he was frustrated with players making a big deal out of minor injuries. Dean, did ya ever think that maybe the problem was the school and not these dadgum kids today??

calltheobvious
02-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm convinced that K made his comments partly out of pure sport. But I wonder if he thinks that "Wind-me-up" Roy and his team really are fragile (pardon the pun), and can actually have their focus diverted to the point that it affects on-court performance. It's clear that the Heels don't have a lot of margin for error here, and if words are capable of throwing them a couple of more points out of kilter, then Stray was even more right than he usually is when he called the performance "masterful."

_Gary
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
This oughta piss everyone off!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7818398/Coaches-heating-up-UNC-Duke-rivalry---

Dang, that really was a one-sided article, wasn't it. No hiding the bias there.

Gary

freedevil
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
^ I agree. I find it hilarious that very few articles are bringing up the point that the frontpage of DBR raised today: that, oh my god!, UNC's head coach swears! Not just during basketball games, which requires people to read your lips or be close to the court to hear... but directly into microphones! What an immoral man :)

jdj4duke
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Lawd Gawd but this is the biggest non-issue in a long time and is completely hilarious. Isn't is amusing that, no matter what their own successes or failures, so many teams insist on comparisons to Duke (just like Ol' Gary framing the last two seasons not on their double digit losses but the fact that they did "beat Duke").

Ol' Roy is acting like a little Ol' Lady

sandinmyshoes
02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
This is now a four page thread, while the Miami pre-game thread is at two. I'm not sure who is doing the psyching out with this issue. :confused:

killerleft
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
This is now a four page thread, while the Miami pre-game thread is at two. I'm not sure who is doing the psyching out with this issue. :confused:

I doubt Coach K is reading it, but if he is, he should be laughing pretty hard right about now.

jacone21
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I love how they take three words of a sentence (unlike other schools), out of context and turn it into, "Coach K is having a verbal tiff with Coach Williams." Huh? Coach K can't say anything without some jackleg writing a stupid Duke hate article about it. But if Coach K doesn't say anything, then they write a stupid Duke hate article about that. Damned if you do...

EarlJam
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I love how they take three words of a sentence (unlike other schools), out of context and turn it into, "Coach K is having a verbal tiff with Coach Williams." Huh? Coach K can't say anything without some jackleg writing a stupid Duke hate article about it. But if Coach K doesn't say anything, then they write a stupid Duke hate article about that. Damned if you do...

That's alright!
That's okay!
They're gonna burn in Hell some day!

-EJ

Classof06
02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
"unlike other schools"... this reminds me of the old saying "if the shoe fits..." Why does Roy think immediately the the comment is directed at him and his team. Roy must have an inferiority complex when it comes to Coach K... kinda reminds me of the "other" Williams in the ACC:D

Bingo. We're probably all biased because we're Duke fans but the fact that Krzyzewski didn't mention anyone's name in particular should prevent any kind of backlash from any coach.

If Roy honestly feels like Krzyzewski was pointing him out then he must believe he's done something to be called out in the first place.

Magnolia888
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Dang, that really was a one-sided article, wasn't it. No hiding the bias there.

Wow. Tell me about it.

Coach K says that "we don't always do that, unlike other teams," and that is considered "whining"? How is that remotely "whining"? Isn't "whining" complaining about something? Where is the actual complaint?

I guess it must have been in the tone of the comment or something because I do not understand what the fuss is all about based on such an innocuous comment. It wasn't even directed at anyone in particular (lots of teams have injuries and injury reports, not just UNC), so this is very bizarre that a whole "feud" mountain is made out of nothing.

Karl Beem
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow. Tell me about it.

Coach K says that "we don't always do that, unlike other teams," and that is considered "whining"? How is that remotely "whining"? Isn't "whining" complaining about something? Where is the actual complaint?

I guess it must have been in the tone of the comment or something because I do not understand what the fuss is all about based on such an innocuous comment. It wasn't even directed at anyone in particular (lots of teams have injuries and injury reports, not just UNC), so this is very bizarre that a whole "feud" mountain is made out of nothing.

"Someone is whining", is the kind of observation that tells you more about the observer than what's being observed.

BlueDevilBaby
02-20-2008, 05:09 PM
That's alright!
That's okay!
They're gonna burn in Hell some day!

-EJ

That's what we keep saying about my brother's soon-to-be ex family-in-law, but in the meantime they are making his and my parents' lives miserable.:mad:

BD80
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
All four columnists sided with Roy! This is particularly strange because there are "points" to be made by raising points that the other columnists haven't raised. And not one raised a point in favor of Coach K! They each assumed K's comment was a slam at Roy and each defended Roy because of all of the injuries - listing names but not the injuries. Not one opined that Roy was going over the edge.

Hell, a couple are even defending the NFL combine as a media "event" (more media than athletes). But no one took K's side!

Are we just blinded by our chromatically correct vision?

PTI should have a better, darker blue, perspective.

weezie
02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
All four columnists sided with Roy! This is particularly strange because there are "points" to be made by raising points that the other columnists haven't raised. And not one raised a point in favor of Coach K!

Listen, the only POINTS those idiots have are the ones on top of their SMALL, POINTY HEADS. Keep it up sports reporters! Keep dumping on Duke, keep putting us down, keep denigrating our coach, PLEASE! We love being the underdogs, you idiots.

DADGUMIT!!!!!!!!

jacone21
02-20-2008, 05:40 PM
They're acting like Coach K said, "We don't publish our injuries like those &^ in Chapel Hill!"

Are the "reporters" just that stupid? Comprehension problems? I don't get it.

Coach says something, Williams makes a bunch of whiny comments, and Coach K is the one who gets raked over the coals. It's like the reporters are just so excited to finally have something to be negative about Duke for and they're so excited. Woohoo! Finally! Something to propagate the Duke hate about! It's been hard to find something this year. Now they're just making up stuff. Nice.

BD80
02-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Wilbon compares K's comment to one Dean Smith would make.

Both considered K's comment to be a big shot at Roy.

Both considered it to be very funny and part of ACC basktball.

I agree it is very funny.

weezie
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Both considered it to be very funny and part of ACC basktball.

I agree it is very funny.

Are you talking about Roy's bad haircut?

gep
02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
I was wondering... suppose Roy didn't make ANY comment on Coach K's "unlike other schools" comment, would the media have picked it up on their own by thinking that Coach K "must" have been thinking ONLY of UNC, and thereby actually starting the frenzy. I think the media is only jumping on this since Roy went ballistic... he's gotta be guilty of something:D

Indoor66
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I was wondering... suppose Roy didn't make ANY comment on Coach K's "unlike other schools" comment, would the media have picked it up on their own by thinking that Coach K "must" have been thinking ONLY of UNC, and thereby actually starting the frenzy. I think the media is only jumping on this since Roy went ballistic... he's gotta be guilty of something:D

If Roy doesn't react, no one notices the issue, IMO.

weezie
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Kind of like if a coach barks like a dog at the moon and no one is around to hear it, did it really happen?

kramerbr
02-20-2008, 07:17 PM
If these writers say that K's comments were not directed at Roy then they don't have a story. The media always tries to make bigger deals out of things so that they have something to talk about and can be "controversial".

Classof06
02-20-2008, 07:32 PM
All four columnists sided with Roy! This is particularly strange because there are "points" to be made by raising points that the other columnists haven't raised. And not one raised a point in favor of Coach K! They each assumed K's comment was a slam at Roy and each defended Roy because of all of the injuries - listing names but not the injuries. Not one opined that Roy was going over the edge.

Hell, a couple are even defending the NFL combine as a media "event" (more media than athletes). But no one took K's side!

Are we just blinded by our chromatically correct vision?

PTI should have a better, darker blue, perspective.

I rushed home just to catch Around The Horn and was utterly shocked at how they all sided with Roy. I was laughing in my living room with shrugged shoulders like "are you serious!!!???". And I thought the Duke hatred tsunami was over. PTI and Jim Rome tend to think it's great; you can catch Rome's snippet on Duke's ESPN clubhouse.

Is anyone else absolutely shocked at how big this insignificant (IMO) comment has gotten? This thing has completely taken off into a life of its own and I still don't understand how. Would this be a big deal if Gary Williams or Sidney Lowe had said it?

Icarus09
02-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Did anyone happen to notice that the announcers for the Miami game gave a slightly slanted portrayal of this little spat of words? They decided to run Roy's more recent comment (curse-free) rather than his original one that was so full of Southern charm.

pfrduke
02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Did anyone happen to notice that the announcers for the Miami game gave a slightly slanted portrayal of this little spat of words? They decided to run Roy's more recent comment (curse-free) rather than his original one that was so full of Southern charm.

They did the same thing in the UNC-NCSU game.

Madrasdukie
03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/03/03/bc.bkc.coaches.spat.ap/index.html

happydays1949
03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I love it!!! Will Roy respond?

Madrasdukie
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/m-hoops-tele.html

Check time frame 3:40 to 4:58 (of a total 16:00 minutes).

In short he says, he never said "other schools", and that if he intended to tweak someone (like he has in the past, he says) he would do so in front of the entire media. He goes on to say that the whole thing is stupid...(repeats "stupid" a couple more times).

Uncle Drew
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm glad K addressed the supposed statements. But let's say he had said other schools or anything close to that. Sounds like Roy takes things a little personally to me. Why does other schools have to be about UNC? Couldn't it be Cal State Hayward, Nevada Tech? Either the UNC coach is looking for bulletin board material or he's such a Prima Donna any statement about "other schools" has to be about UNC. After all UNC is the only school that matters in the eyes of it's grads. :rolleyes:

BlueintheFace
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Judging by the quote, I think K feels that this is all a little... what's the word?...gosh, it's the opposite of smart ........Oh yah, STUPID. Thanks for snowballing a harmless comment Roy.

wiscodevil
03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/03/03/bc.bkc.coaches.spat.ap/index.html

i would assume the original audio clip still exists. should be easy enough to (dis)prove. not that it matters at all...

BD80
03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
i would assume the original audio clip still exists. should be easy enough to (dis)prove. not that it matters at all...

The station admits the quote was wrong in the transcript they published, but says the quote came from a "Duke source"

RelativeWays
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I blame this more on the media than Roy. Don't get me wrong, his comments were dumb, but I'm guessing he was frustrated at the injuries that had snakebit his team recently and blew off some steam. The media really took hold of it, blew it out of proportion (did any of them really stop to think just what they were writing about) and a few used this as a feeble excuse to vilify K. I'll let Roy pass because I know K sometimes can stick his foot in his mouth too, unlike holes fans, I realize our coach is damn good, but not perfect. Asking them to do analytical and unbiased thinking may be too much for the baa baa bluesheep.

Uncle Drew
03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
The station admits the quote was wrong in the transcript they published, but says the quote came from a "Duke source"

Don't you love how the media can site annonymous "sources", even claim they came from Duke and not even have to spill on who that ource is / was. That source (if they truly existed) could have been from anyone from an assistant to a booster / fan. Just one more thing I don't like about the freakin' media. Of course other than DBR, rumour mongering is an accepted way of getting information. It's too bad ethics is something laking not only in Journalism but alo life in general.

RelativeWays
03-03-2008, 11:25 PM
The original comments were posted right after the Wake game on Sunday, I remember reading them because I wanted to hear K's reasoning for WF blasting us in that game. I remember K mentioning Nolan's knee and him making a comment that Duke is hurt too, I don't remember if the "other schools" comment was quoted or not, but it didn't strike me as particularly controversial or a jab at UNC. In retrospect, UNC has had some tough luck with injuries and I find it hard to believe that K would make any sort of comment that would be considered a jab or insult about the issue, especially when you consider injuries hurt us last year.

gep
03-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Asking them to do analytical and unbiased thinking may be too much for the baa baa bluesheep.

baa baa bluesheep... I don't think I've heard that one before. I find that funny...:D

AnimalFriendly
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
"I don't remember if the "other schools" comment was quoted or not, but it didn't strike me as particularly controversial or a jab at UNC."

Even if the words "other school" were never uttered by K, I still think what he said was at least partly meant to be a jab at UNC simply because of the word "too" within "we're injured too." He was saying Duke had injuries in addition to....who? I think it's reasonable to assume it to be UNC but it's just IMO of course. I thought at the time that K shouldn't be making even subtle references to UNC's practices with respect to reporting injuries, and just as importantly, I don't think Roy should have responded in ANY way. Injuries are just part of sports and they both should be above that sort of sniping.

BlueBlood112883
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I just can't understand why that network that covers Duke games took this long to recognize the screwup. I could see this happening say on the Tarheel Sports Network, but this is a station that carries Duke games. All those UNC fans, and the local sports talk people today are eating major crow. Well at least the sports talk guys are after they got on K pretty good. I distrust the media more and more everyday especially when crap like this happens.

Troublemaker
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I thought at the time that K shouldn't be making even subtle references to UNC's practices with respect to reporting injuries

He wasn't making any references. He was just doing his usual postgame interview with Bob Harris. Your assumption is that Duke gives a damn about your team. Sure, we're rivals, but that doesn't mean we think about you 24/7.

Injuries are just part of sports and they both should be above that sort of sniping.

Roy was alone in the sniping. This so-called "tiff" between the coaches was really all Roy all along. Roy was alone in the boxing ring with gloves on. Again, we don't give a damn. As Coach K said, this whole thing has been stupid, stupid, stupid.

But the fact that Roy reacted with such an awkward defensive tantrum at a perceived slight demonstrates to me that he HAS been milking injuries this season. In my experience, the more defensive someone is, the more likely that they are guilty.

CMS2478
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
He wasn't making any references. He was just doing his usual postgame interview with Bob Harris. Your assumption is that Duke gives a damn about your team. Sure, we're rivals, but that doesn't mean we think about you 24/7.

Roy was alone in the sniping. This so-called "tiff" between the coaches was really all Roy all along. Roy was alone in the boxing ring with gloves on. Again, we don't give a damn. As Coach K said, this whole thing has been stupid, stupid, stupid.

But the fact that Roy reacted with such an awkward defensive tantrum at a perceived slight demonstrates to me that he HAS been milking injuries this season. In my experience, the more defensive someone is, the more likely that they are guilty.

It's like the old saying goes........."If the shoe fits, wear it." Roy wouldn't have got his panties in a wad if Carolina wasn't making a huge deal out of their injuries.

killerleft
03-04-2008, 01:12 PM
If the shoe were on the other foot, Coach K would be the highlight of the day on ESPN. With the unchanged curse word thrown in, there would be several debates going all at once: "K is hot-headed", "K is vulgar", "K made a fool of himself", "This is one call K doesn't get", "K follows in Knight's footprints as bad role model"... But ol' Roy gets a pass, I bet.

AnimalFriendly
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
"He wasn't making any references. He was just doing his usual postgame interview with Bob Harris. Your assumption is that Duke gives a damn about your team. Sure, we're rivals, but that doesn't mean we think about you 24/7."

I couldn't agree less. As I stated above, the word "too" naturally refers to some other team in this context and I think it's reasonable to assume that team to be UNC. And nobody has to think about somebody else 24/7 to be capable of making references.

"But the fact that Roy reacted with such an awkward defensive tantrum at a perceived slight demonstrates to me that he HAS been milking injuries this season. In my experience, the more defensive someone is, the more likely that they are guilty."

My experience with defensive people has usually shown just the opposite but whatever. I can understand rival fans perceiving Roy to have been milking injuries/illness this season - case in point, reporting Q's flu! - but the irony is that he hasn't really needed to do this in that Carolina has only actually lost 2 games. After the first Duke/UNC game, Roy did go out of his way to emphasize his team didn't lose because of not having Lawson.

Troublemaker
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I couldn't agree less. As I stated above, the word "too" naturally refers to some other team in this context and I think it's reasonable to assume that team to be UNC.

But it's unreasonable to assume that it was a jab, even more unreasonable to not confirm the statement, and ridiculously unreasonable to run to the media to throw a tantrum. Basically, Roy was passed a note in class from Suzie saying that Mikey called Roy a smellypants, and Roy took that as gospel and went to the media to defend his odor. It's lame and embarrassing. (Suzie in this case is apparently Woody Durham).

And yes, it's telling. When someone overreacts to a perceived slight (whether there was a slight or not), the tendency is for that person to be acting with a guilty conscience.

jdc75
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
But it's unreasonable to assume that it was a jab, even more unreasonable to not confirm the statement, and ridiculously unreasonable to run to the media to throw a tantrum. Basically, Roy was passed a note in class from Suzie saying that Mikey called Roy a smellypants, and Roy took that as gospel and went to the media to defend his odor. It's lame and embarrassing. (Suzie in this case is apparently Woody Durham).

And yes, it's telling. When someone overreacts to a perceived slight (whether there was a slight or not), the tendency is for that person to be acting with a guilty conscience.

I couldn't agree more Troublemaker.

weezie
03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
But ol' Roy gets a pass, I bet.

Well, I'll bet it doesn't get a peep until College Game Day on Sat and then only in passing and with much chuckling, chortling and head-shaking. Along the lines of, "Such a character, that little RoyBoy with his bad haircut!"

OK, I doubt the haircut gets mentioned.

killerleft
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, I'll bet it doesn't get a peep until College Game Day on Sat and then only in passing and with much chuckling, chortling and head-shaking. Along the lines of, "Such a character, that little RoyBoy with his bad haircut!"

OK, I doubt the haircut gets mentioned.

Maybe Coach K will stir it up some.

Madrasdukie
03-04-2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/520949.html

Roy says he hasn't talked to K about the spat, and even if he did he wouldn't disclose it to the media - it's PRIVATE.

flash
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Here again we have major controversy because a member of the media(Adam Gold) was to damn lazy to double check a source before publicly airing a quote. Having ("it was an honest mistake") listened to Gold for a number of years when he is attacking someone else he could care less if they have made an "honest mistake". To cover his butt on this one he throws Duke under the bus by saying his Duke source sent him the email. Would be interesting to know if such an email exist or is just a fabrication on his part. Those who are upset with the way this was handled should let WRBZ and Mr Gold know how you feel about this. If Roy Williams had been the one misquoted and WRBZ had been the UNC flagship station Mr Gold would no longer be employed at that station.

Johnny B
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
As reported in the N&O today,

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/980186.html

"The exact wording doesn't change the nature of the tiff, a UNC spokesman said. Steve Kirschner, UNC's director of athletic communication, said Monday, regardless of whether Krzyzewski said "unlike other schools" or not, Williams interpreted the comment as a shot at UNC's practice of releasing detailed injury reports.

"The intent of the statement seemed to comment on our injury situation," Kirschner said. "Which is fine. It's not a big deal."

It seems it doesn't matter which words K used, those clever Carolina guys know what he really means!

Ol' Roy and Steve Kirschner: Dumb and Dumber.

Lotus000
03-07-2008, 04:39 PM
...as you can see here, Coach K and ol' Houndog Roy get together to discuss the recent flap about injuries. Let's hope the handshake tomorrow is 'nice.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCG6lZPLavY&eurl=http://www.bookiemom.com/index.php?page=video020608

Enjoy,

-Wes