PDA

View Full Version : Ymm, Braunschweiger

Mudge
02-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Am I the only one under the age of 75 who eats this stuff? Everyone else insists it's simply too gross for consumption.

BlueDevilBaby
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Never heard of it, but I'd be willing to give it a try. I can tolerate a few bites of anything liver, then it gives me the willies (except for pate).

hc5duke
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I've never even heard of this stuff (looks it up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braunschweiger)). So it's basically pork liver sausage? That can't be too healthy, or taste good :( I'd be willing to try it though

Mudge
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Never heard of it, but I'd be willing to give it a try. I can tolerate a few bites of anything liver, then it gives me the willies (except for pate).

Think of it as pig pate... that's basically what it is.

devildeac
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Am I the only one under the age of 75 who eats this stuff? Everyone else insists it's simply too gross for consumption.

you been readin' EarlJam's posts WAAYY too much:D ...

(sounds kinda like Scrapple to me-yuccckkk)

billybreen
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
I had never heard of it, but it sounds vile.

tbyers11
02-18-2008, 05:06 PM
I've heard of braunschweiger, but I'm from Wisconsin.

My only experience with it was when I was a kid I was dog-sitting for a week and the owners told me that I had to mix some braunschweiger in with the dry dog food to get the dog to eat his food. The smell and texture of the stuff kind of grossed me out then and I didn't even have to eat it. Haven't given it another shot.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Would this be similar to liver pudding? Neese's in Greensboro makes the best version of this old time breakfast, lunch or supper main dish (floured and quickly fired in a VERY hot pan to create a crust). Neese's liver pudding, sausage and other products can be found in supermarkets across the region.

Johnboy
02-18-2008, 05:21 PM
. . . but I was served liverwurst sandwiches by my mother when I was a kid. It's not my favorite, but I like it. I'm not sure what I had was Braunschweiger, though. My wife makes an awesome pate from chicken livers that kinda reminds me of liverwurst.

Mudge
02-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Would this be similar to liver pudding? Neese's in Greensboro makes the best version of this old time breakfast, lunch or supper main dish (floured and quickly fired in a VERY hot pan to create a crust). Neese's liver pudding, sausage and other products can be found in supermarkets across the region.

No, braunschweiger is not breaded or fried-- though I guess you could do that to it... in my case, I eat it on crackers, like pate, but I like to have various kinds of cheeses on crackers, to alternate with it. The stuff usually comes in a round plastic tube (either large diameter,~3", and open-ended, or small diameter, and closed-ended, ~1.5"). It is spreadable or sliceable, sort of like that Red Devil canned sandwich spread, and it is sort of pinkish-brown in color. It is made from pig's liver. Help me out here, but I think the name in German, translates as "brown sausage".

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
No, braunschweiger is not breaded or fried-- though I guess you could do that to it... in my case, I eat it on crackers, like pate, but I like to have various kinds of cheeses on crackers, to alternate with it. The stuff usually comes in a round plastic tube (either large diameter,~3", and open-ended, or small diameter, and closed-ended, ~1.5"). It is spreadable or sliceable, sort of like that Red Devil canned sandwich spread, and it is sort of pinkish-brown in color. It is made from pig's liver. Help me out here, but I think the name in German, translates as "brown sausage".

Ok, I know what it is now. My dad used to bring liverwurst home from time to time from the grocery..... don't remember the brand.

The liver pudding I was describing can be eaten without breading or frying, but many Southern cooks prepare it that way to create a crusty exterior which can caramelize a bit. Liver pudding comes in a rectangular block shape. Neese's is the best.

If you are planning to buy ground pork sausage, Neese's is the best for that, too. Much better than anything in a plastic tube sold as sausage.

devildeac
02-18-2008, 11:30 PM

braun=brown
schweiger=?(could not find an English translation in my 30 year old English-German dictionary)

BUT, wurst=sausage if that helps any.

Lavabe
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
braun=brown
schweiger=?(could not find an English translation in my 30 year old English-German dictionary)

BUT, wurst=sausage if that helps any.

It's the wurst that comes from the city of Braunshweig in Germany. Sort of like Frankfurter is the wurst from Frankfurt.

devildeac
02-18-2008, 11:40 PM
It's the wurst that comes from the city of Braunshweig in Germany. Sort of like Frankfurter is the wurst from Frankfurt.

That begs the questions then:

1. Why is it not called a Frankwurst or Frankfurterwurst?
2. What is the best from Frankfurt?

dukemomLA
02-19-2008, 03:45 AM
A sandwich on rye -- with relish, mayo, deli mustard, and perhaps a cheese of your choice. YUMMMMM. Priceless.

(Can also be used to make a good pate. Again, yum. Try it!

Lavabe
02-19-2008, 06:48 AM
A sandwich on rye -- with relish, mayo, deli mustard, and perhaps a cheese of your choice. YUMMMMM. Priceless.

(Can also be used to make a good pate. Again, yum. Try it!

Sorry, but the mayo on rye is against my religion.;)

pamtar
02-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Champion!!!

Lavabe
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Champion!!!

There is that little issue of HAMBURGER as well.