PDA

View Full Version : First Time Post and Why I'm Psyched

Faison1
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Very excited to post for the first time.....I've been reading the posts at work (major, major distraction), trying to learn the rules, and I think I have a good feel for it so far.

I am a huge Duke fan....did not attend the University, but grew up watching (cried in '86 thinking they'd never be that good again....I was young and irrational), and without going into great detail, my family name is inconspicuously placed on CIS' wall. During certain years of my personal development, Duke Hoops was one of the consistent things my father and I could discuss. (I'm also married to a UNC-CH grad....she always asks why I'm cheering against Carolina, and I have to respond, "I'm cheering for a good game.")

Anyway, having read other out of control and ugly boards, I was very happy to stumble across this forum. Reading Watzone, Sumner, Klemnop (sp?), Kentankerous, DynastyDefender, Carlos, Bob Green, Jason Evans, etc., has been refreshing and rewarding.

A few thoughts, then I'll go:
1. The LSU game, JJ's senior year....I had to find a sports bar in downtown San Francisco after an unavoidable meeting in order to watch the game. The bar I found was full, and needless to say, the crowd took great vocal pleasure in watching that team lose, and JJ cry. I think I was the only Duke fan out of 75 people. I felt like firebombing the place. Walking out, I told myself I would not get emotionally involved with the team again in order to avoid feeling the pain I was experiencing.

2. That resolve made watching last year much more bearable.

3. I am now emotionally involved again. Not because they are doing so well, but because of the respect I have for DeMarcus, the emotional story of Nolan, the obvious integrity of Kyle Singler, and the fact that the future looks so, so bright.

In any case, I apologize for the long post, but thought I should pass along how excited I am about this season and the direction the program is headed. I look forward to many more spirited discussions.

Indoor66
02-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Very excited to post for the first time.....I've been reading the posts at work (major, major distraction), trying to learn the rules, and I think I have a good feel for it so far.

I am a huge Duke fan....did not attend the University, but grew up watching (cried in '86 thinking they'd never be that good again....I was young and irrational), and without going into great detail, my family name is inconspicuously placed on CIS' wall. During certain years of my personal development, Duke Hoops was one of the consistent things my father and I could discuss. (I'm also married to a UNC-CH grad....she always asks why I'm cheering against Carolina, and I have to respond, "I'm cheering for a good game.")

Anyway, having read other out of control and ugly boards, I was very happy to stumble across this forum. Reading Watzone, Sumner, Klemnop (sp?), Kentankerous, DynastyDefender, Carlos, Bob Green, Jason Evans, etc., has been refreshing and rewarding.

A few thoughts, then I'll go:
1. The LSU game, JJ's senior year....I had to find a sports bar in downtown San Francisco after an unavoidable meeting in order to watch the game. The bar I found was full, and needless to say, the crowd took great vocal pleasure in watching that team lose, and JJ cry. I think I was the only Duke fan out of 75 people. I felt like firebombing the place. Walking out, I told myself I would not get emotionally involved with the team again in order to avoid feeling the pain I was experiencing.

2. That resolve made watching last year much more bearable.

3. I am now emotionally involved again. Not because they are doing so well, but because of the respect I have for DeMarcus, the emotional story of Nolan, the obvious integrity of Kyle Singler, and the fact that the future looks so, so bright.

In any case, I apologize for the long post, but thought I should pass along how excited I am about this season and the direction the program is headed. I look forward to many more spirited discussions.

Welcome and keep posting. The Board rules/philosophy are posted in the top, stickied threads. A review is always appropriate. I look forward to your observations and opinions.

bigj4194
02-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Welcome to DBR...I am a current duke student from SF...so I feel your pain...not many people at home root for duke...the downside for the west coast. Many out there believe that the Pac-10 is a far superior conference (which it is not), so any time we lose they have a field day.

Once again welcome from one SF duke fan to another!

pamtar
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Welcome aboard!

dukegirlinsc
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM

I was also at a sports bar that night here in myrtle beach. i very rarely go out to watch games, and it usually ends up being a mistake. however, once i picked my head up off of the table, there were several shots and drinks awaiting. :D

but welcome aboard!
it's fun.

DukePA
02-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome!! I knew there was a reason to browse through my Duke Alumni email and check out where Dukies get together to watch they guys play. Here are 2 places in Northern California if you're interested:

Duke Club of Northern California (2 locations)
Bayside Sports Bar
1787 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123

Duke Club of Northern California (2 locations)
The Sports Page Bar and Grill
1431 Plymouth Ave.
(near Shoreline Cinemas)
Mountain View, CA 94043

Have fun and be very, very careful because you will become addicted to this board if it hasn't happened already!

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!

Faison1
02-18-2008, 11:22 PM
A big 9F right back at ya......thanks to all for the warm welcome. Always nice to find kindred spirits.

GTHC, GTH!!

billybreen
02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
A big 9F right back at ya......thanks to all for the warm welcome. Always nice to find kindred spirits.

GTHC, GTH!!

Wow, that's the way to join the board! Kudos!

DukeWarhead
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I too am married to a UNC-CH grad. Luckily, we have learned to live together somehow during the months of Nov-April. Her Carolina-slanted beef with Duke is the whole "elitist" thing. At least she doesn't buy the line about getting all the calls.
I have gotten her to admit, however, that Duke has never had players remotely as thuggishly annoying as McCants. She agrees that Kris Lang was perhaps the most embarassing player ever from both schools. I remind her that Cherokee Parks had his moments...

FerryFor50
02-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I too am married to a UNC-CH grad. Luckily, we have learned to live together somehow during the months of Nov-April. Her Carolina-slanted beef with Duke is the whole "elitist" thing. At least she doesn't buy the line about getting all the calls.
I have gotten her to admit, however, that Duke has never had players remotely as thuggishly annoying as McCants. She agrees that Kris Lang was perhaps the most embarassing player ever from both schools. I remind her that Cherokee Parks had his moments...

Let's not forget:

Rasheed Wallace
Jerry Stackhouse
Joe Forte
JR Reid
Shammond Williams
Jeff McInnis
Ed Cota

I could go on, but you get my drift. :p

billybreen
02-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Let's not forget:

Rasheed Wallace
Jerry Stackhouse
Joe Forte
JR Reid
Shammond Williams
Jeff McInnis
Ed Cota

I agree with most of those, but I've Ed Cota's atrocities. What am I missing?

FerryFor50
02-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I agree with most of those, but I've Ed Cota's atrocities. What am I missing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/1999/11/10/unc_brawl_ap/

The good ol days... :p

billybreen
02-19-2008, 12:00 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/1999/11/10/unc_brawl_ap/

Ahh, that takes me back.

feldspar
02-19-2008, 12:02 AM

Wow...the internet was so much simpler back then...

merry
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Let's not forget:

Rasheed Wallace
Jerry Stackhouse
Joe Forte
JR Reid
Shammond Williams
Jeff McInnis
Ed Cota

Let's ALSO not forget Makhtar N'diaye!

dukegirlinsc
02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Let's ALSO not forget Makhtar N'diaye!

i love saying his name though.
"MACK-TARRRR!!!"

2535Miles
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
i love saying his name though.
"MACK-TARRRR!!!"

Do you say it with a Klingon accent too? :D Is there such a thing? Oh well, it doesn't matter. I still loving saying his name!

captmojo
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Ed Cota also owns the distinction of being the only guy I've ever seen, who could constantly dribble a ball upside-down and never be whistled for "palming".

Jump in the pool Faison. The water's fine. ;)

Faison1
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Ed Cota also owns the distinction of being the only guy I've ever seen, who could constantly dribble a ball upside-down and never be whistled for "palming".

Jump in the pool Faison. The water's fine. ;)

Well, if I'm jumping right in...for the life of me, I don't understand why Carolina has Brenda Haywood's and Joe Forte's jersey hanging in the rafters. I know their numbers aren't retired, but geeeeeze.....those guys were average at best. That would be like hanging Greg Newton's jersey. What gives? Pretty sorry if you ask me......

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, if I'm jumping right in...for the life of me, I don't understand why Carolina has Brenda Haywood's and Joe Forte's jersey hanging in the rafters. I know their numbers aren't retired, but geeeeeze.....those guys were average at best. That would be like hanging Greg Newton's jersey. What gives? Pretty sorry if you ask me......

Nah, they were solid college players, especially Forte-ounce.

Faison1
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Nah, they were solid college players, especially Forte-ounce.

I'm not saying they sucked.....but solid shouldn't get you in the rafters. Maybe the Greg Newton comparison was unfair....maybe I should have said Cherokee Parks. I said Newton to be provocative. But seriously, they've got like 50 jerseys hanging up there. Arguably one of the best bball programs out there, but c'mon!!

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying they sucked.....but solid shouldn't get you in the rafters. Maybe the Greg Newton comparison was unfair....maybe I should have said Cherokee Parks. I said Newton to be provocative. But seriously, they've got like 50 jerseys hanging up there. Arguably one of the best bball programs out there, but c'mon!!

I got a letter saying they were hanging my jersey at the next home game, since I won a couple pickup basketball games outside of Cobb Hall once. :D

Faison1
02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I got a letter saying they were hanging my jersey at the next home game, since I won a couple pickup basketball games outside of Cobb Hall once. :D

FUNNY!!!!!

I will say that the single best player from UNC I have seen play is Antawn Jamison.....1998 ACC Final in G'boro...at the game. Brand's freshman year. Watching that performance I was thinking I was witnessing the second coming of Michael Jordan. That guy was awesome!! Brand just couldn't control both Vince and Jamison at the same time. Epic battle that the score did not reflect.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
FUNNY!!!!!

I will say that the single best player from UNC I have seen play is Antawn Jamison.....1998 ACC Final in G'boro...at the game. Brand's freshman year. Watching that performance I was thinking I was witnessing the second coming of Michael Jordan. That guy was awesome!! Brand just couldn't control both Vince and Jamison at the same time. Epic battle that the score did not reflect.

Honestly, Jamison was the only Carolina player I liked. He was a nice guy and an awesome player.

Faison1
02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Honestly, Jamison was the only Carolina player I liked. He was a nice guy and an awesome player.

Yes, he seemed like a good guy....there's been a few over the years I enjoyed/liked, and he was one of them. I will say that Roy seems to be going after the same type of player that fits the Duke Ilk. So, in that light, I would say Hansblahblah would look good in a Duke jersey, and so would Ellington.

Other than that, thinking back over the years, maybe Montross was another guy I had respect for....I can probably think of a few others, but Jamison was definitely way above the rest.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes, he seemed like a good guy....there's been a few over the years I enjoyed/liked, and he was one of them. I will say that Roy seems to be going after the same type of player that fits the Duke Ilk. So, in that light, I would say Hansblahblah would look good in a Duke jersey, and so would Ellington.

Other than that, thinking back over the years, maybe Montross was another guy I had respect for....I can probably think of a few others, but Jamison was definitely way above the rest.

UNC also already got the twins from California recruited...can't remember their names though.

Sucks that it's now a competition between the 2 schools. I kind of liked UNC getting all the dumb thugs. :D