PDA

View Full Version : DBR's 2/18 ACC Roundup

CDu
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
I think DBR has gone a bit overboard in the praise of Wake after this one win, putting the line in the sand below them. There is still a clear line in the sand between Maryland/Clemson and Wake. And I'm not sure why Miami, who was previously grouped in the "still has a chance" category before the weekend, is now bumped to the also-rans. They won a tough game on the road.

In terms of likelihood of making the tournament, I'd group it like this:

Duke/UNC - In
Clemson/Maryland - All-but certainly in
Wake/Miami - Still have work to do

Wake still has to overcome its low RPI (#61), its lack of road wins (2-7 on the road). They need to win one of their three road games and probably two more ACC games (and then probably their opening ACC tourney game) to make their case. Otherwise, 8-8 and an RPI in the 60s, even with the Duke win, isn't likely to be enough.

Miami, in my opinion, has the opposite problem. They have the solid RPI (#36), a signature road win (Miss St) and a strong ACC win (Clemson). They just have to get to 8-8. For them, 8-8 with three strong wins (@Miss St, Clemson, and one of Duke/Maryland/@Clemson) and a strong finish (they'd have gone 5-2 down the stretch) would be enough. They'll also need to win their opening round ACC tourney game.

Basically, I think Wake and Miami have a similar amount of work to do. Miami has to beat one of Duke, Maryland, and @Clemson down the stretch. Wake has to win three more, which means they'll have to win at least one (and likely two) road games. That's something they haven't really done this year.

gw67
02-18-2008, 09:21 AM
CDu - I agree with your analysis. Wake and Miami have an opportunity but they both still need to win some important games in the next three weeks. Clemson is in, IMO, and the Terps are as well as long as they go 3-2 in their last five games and don't self destruct in the ACC tourney.

gw67

Matches
02-18-2008, 09:28 AM
If Wake knocks off UNC next weekend, they are in. Even if they lose they will be at 6-6. If they can get to 8-8 they have a very good chance, RPI notwithstanding.

Miami has a tough climb. Beating us would be a nice signature win for them.

pfrduke
02-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Wake still has to overcome its low RPI (#61), its lack of road wins (2-7 on the road). They need to win one of their three road games and probably two more ACC games (and then probably their opening ACC tourney game) to make their case. Otherwise, 8-8 and an RPI in the 60s, even with the Duke win, isn't likely to be enough.

I generally agree, but I think there's a chance that Wake gets a Prosser-bump from the committee if they're one of the bubble teams. Who would you rather have participate in the tournament - a mediocre Oregon team, or a group of kids who overcame the off-season death of their coach (and 11th place pre-season expectations), upset Duke, etc.? I think that maybe, just maybe, if it comes down to Wake or someone else as last team in, Wake may get the extra bump for that reason.