PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB v. Miami pre-game & in-game thread

Pages : [1] 2

dukediv2013
02-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Duke will probably go back to the black jerseys next game against Miami! We look fiercer in the black jerseys and we will impose our will against Miami. GO DUKE!

SMO
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Duke will probably go back to the black jerseys next game against Miami! We look fiercer in the black jerseys and we will impose our will against Miami. GO DUKE!

I anticipate hard fouls by the 'canes at home. Duke should be ready to play after Sunday.

FerryFor50
02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
The Canes don't scare me, especially not after a bad loss at Wake.

KyDevilinIL
02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm ready to transition to Miami discussion. The endless breakdowns of the Wake game have grown tiresome, especially since it is pretty simple: we were bad, they were not.

My hope for Miami is that the team opens a can from the tip and finds a way to maintain it throughout the game. We haven't done that in so long, it seems.

Classof06
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll be at the game Wednesday night and after last night, I'm even more excited to be there.

I agree, there's really not much to talk about with the Wake game. We've played 8 straight weeks of unbelievably sound basketball and we finally had a bad game in a game where I suspected we wouldn't play too well to begin with. Wake played their best game of the year and Duke had a bad night. Next play.

I must say, however, I agree with the front page recap of the Wake game. Duke is now playing teams that are desperate to get into the NCAA tourney and a win against Duke can single-handedly put some of these bubble teams into serious contention for a bid, if not a bid outright. Duke is facing this against Miami, GT, and NC State. Oh, and UNC wants that 1 seed in the East too, so they'll bring their "A" game against us as always.

The bottom line is that if Duke comes out 75% against these desperate teams, they will lose. Miami is no different; people are already talking about this game and the arena will be SOLD OUT. This is how it's going to be until the ACC tourney and Duke needs to learn how to play hard with not as much to gain. Krzyzewski said as much in the post-game press conference last night.

dukerev
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
I'll be surprise if Miami is a genuine ACC arena. If we punch them in the mouth (figuratively, of course) early, it'll take the crowd out of it. Say what you will about Carolina fans (please, say what you will), but at least against Duke, they are loud the whole game. State is still trying to figure out how to do that in a post-Reynolds era, and Maryland fans know how to riot. But I have to think that Miami is the least imposing of all the ACC venues.

I am a bit concerned that the 'Canes will be back to their thuggish behavior, though, especially if we do jump out on them early. To Wake's credit, that was not their m.o. (aside from Chas). Not much cheap stuff, just good hard play. Miami, on the other hand, will be a return to the first half of the ACC season, where we saw all kinds of dirty play.

Another note: I know that the standard wisdom is for an angry coaching staff, extra laps, etc. after a loss. But observing K's demeanor during the Wake game, and having observed (from very afar) him over the years, I'm wondering if the next few days is spent more in building the team up rather than in yell-fests and suicides. Our guys have been stalwarts all year and are looking like they are wearing down a bit. DeMarcus in particular has been "pressing" the past few games. The burden of duty and leadership is particularly heavy. I'm guessing that the staff will be extremely positive with our bunch as we head toward Miami. Go Duke!

ugadevil
02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I really hope we come out strong in this game. It seems like we just hold on against the opponent in the initial stages of the game and then we take control and wear the other guys down. I'm hoping we take control from the beginning and establish the tone of the game.

godukerocks
02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
If we are able to hold McClinton to a moderate performance, Duke should win convincingly.

Duke has not lost to Miami since 1962, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Indoor66
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Duke has not lost to Miami since 1962, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is probably correct, but I don't think anyone playing Wednesday played in that game. :D

msdukie
02-18-2008, 08:13 PM

I have not seen Duke wear their blue jerseys since 2004. Has anyone else?

dukegirlinsc
02-18-2008, 08:15 PM

it's all about the fierce!

Sir Stealth
02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
I have not seen Duke wear their blue jerseys since 2004. Has anyone else?

We've worn blue quite a bit (including our very last game), but the blue has evolved to the point that it is a really unattractively bright-colored blue in my opinion. I always used to like the blue jerseys better in the first several years of the black, but now I definitely like the black better. Another nice thing about the black is that if we are going to be the all-evil dominant force, we might as well go all the way with it.

weezie
02-18-2008, 09:28 PM
As long as we don't show up wearing two sided jerseys similar to what the All-Stars were wearing last night. Whew! Those things were terrible! So bad that they helped take my mind off the end of the WF game for a few seconds, anyway.

msdukie
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I do not recall seeing these on Sunday:

http://www.cnnsi.com/basketball/college/features/1998/photogallery/dukeunc/images/mcleodl.jpg

(sheds tear) :(

DukeBlood
02-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Last night one of the announcers said his wrist was at 65%.

Obvbiously its hurting him, He's only attemted 4 FG's at Wake, 3 against Maryland, and 8 against BC(8 is probably on his lower end of average).

He is HUGE to this team! Should he sit out a game or two to heal 100%? Or is he expected to heal soon? Some of these questions may be a bit far fetched, but just curious how serious of a injury is this?

Scheyer and Smith can do a fine job if he has to sit out. Just thinking he hasnt been much of a factor since the injury. Luckily he's defense has been decent(not great though). Im not a huge TK(O) fan, but this would allow him some minutes or Zoubek, or even possibly McClure.

Ignatius07
02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
DC area fans: Is this game really not being televised on normal cable packages? GoDuke.com lists "Raycom" as the carrier, but it's not on Channel 20 (which normally carries Raycom). Will I have to find a bar that has ESPN Full Court? That's what I am thinking at this point...

gw67
02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I believe that the Maryland-Virginia Tech game is being played at the same time and is being shown locally as part of the Raycom network package.

gw67

TwoDukeTattoos
02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
We played them just 17 days ago and won by 15. We failed to scored a 2-pointer until very deep in the 1st half and relied on a strong second half in order to put Miami away. If we don't start scoring 2's early and often this time around, we may be through.

We need to make a statement not only to our opposition, but also to ourselves that we ARE a dynamic team capable of winning from the inside and outside. As crazy as it sounds, I think this game determines where the rest of our season is headed. We are playing on the road against a team that was once ranked in the top 25, they present a lot of legitimate athletes, and they smell blood; if we can dominate this game I think our season will remain on track and will give the guys lots of confidence heading down the stretch.

pamtar
02-19-2008, 12:10 PM
If we loose it will be. If we win it wont be.

msdukie
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
March 8 is the Most Important Day of the Year.

killerleft
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm with you, pamtar. This is a huge game for Duke. We need to establish that the late February swoon is a thing of the past.

I sure hope Gerald Henderson's wrist is better. We need for his game to be very good if we're going to go into the unc game without another loss.

SMO
02-19-2008, 02:23 PM
We played them just 17 days ago and won by 15. We failed to scored a 2-pointer until very deep in the 1st half and relied on a strong second half in order to put Miami away. If we don't start scoring 2's early and often this time around, we may be through.

We need to make a statement not only to our opposition, but also to ourselves that we ARE a dynamic team capable of winning from the inside and outside. As crazy as it sounds, I think this game determines where the rest of our season is headed. We are playing on the road against a team that was once ranked in the top 25, they present a lot of legitimate athletes, and they smell blood; if we can dominate this game I think our season will remain on track and will give the guys lots of confidence heading down the stretch.

You read that right folks. This one's for all the marbles. Write it down! If we trade MIA 2's for our 3's, apparently we lose. There will be blood!

elvis14
02-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Say what you will about Carolina fans (please, say what you will), but at least against Duke, they are loud the whole game.

You give Tar Hole fans too much credit. Tons of them left really early when we were in the Dump Dome last. They left before the game was really decided. I'll leave it at that and not really get started on their fans (too easy).

I'm really looking forward to the Miami game. I think a loss like the one at Wake can be beneficial (even though I hated losing). I'm also really concerned about Gerald's wrist and Jon as well. I hope we can get healthy before the tournaments start.

RelativeWays
02-20-2008, 07:44 AM
I hope we come out mad and motivated. Please guys, COME OUT ANGRY!

afmduke
02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Anyone have suggestions on watching the game in the Washington DC area?

I'm checking through my DVR last night and didn't see the game carried by the local RLF affiliate ( WDCA 20).

20 has some Maryland game on instead... :mad:

Montgomery County Comcast seemed to want $109 to order a whole package to watch the one game

duke9094
02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
You can catch the game online on www.channelsurfing.net tonight. I got this from the TDD forum. I tried it last night by watching Purdue v. Indiana. It was lagging about 2-3 minutes from my cable broadcast.

rthomas
02-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Please tell me our game is on tv in the Northern WV/Pittsburgh area!

Ignatius07
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
The game is also on ESPN Full Court - I'll probably be headed to a sports bar to watch it.

Ignatius07
02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Check out the Miami in-game thread.

should_be_working
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
You can catch the game online on www.channelsurfing.net tonight. I got this from the TDD forum. I tried it last night by watching Purdue v. Indiana. It was lagging about 2-3 minutes from my cable broadcast.

is this free?

duke9094
02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, it is.

should_be_working
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes, it is.

thanks for pointing this out (the website), i really appreciate it, i was angry that i couldn't watch it, but now it looks like i might be able to - thanks!

Acymetric
02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Purely out of curiosity, is this thing completely legal, questionable legal, or clearly illegal? It doesn't matter to me, but I've been fairly interested in law relating to things like this lately. I can't see any clear affiliation with any of the television companies (if there is then never mind) but is there still some way that this is allowed? Or is it just kept hush hush?

dukerev
02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
The game is also on the internet (for free) on espn360.com - though your isp has to be compatible with espn360.com in order to catch it that way. Check it out ahead of time (they always have reruns of games on there) if you want to see the game this way.

sandinmyshoes
02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I felt very good about the Wake game, pre-game, and we got spanked. So now I'm a little worried, but Coach K can usually muster a superb effort following a loss. Unless Miami is super hot from the three point line, which would open up driving lanes, I think we win this one by double digits. At least, I hope we do.

MChambers
02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Our defense has dropped off a bit in recent weeks. I'd like to see an outstanding defensive performance.

bigj4194
02-20-2008, 01:18 PM
The game is also on the internet (for free) on espn360.com - though your isp has to be compatible with espn360.com in order to catch it that way. Check it out ahead of time (they always have reruns of games on there) if you want to see the game this way.

you beat me to it...this is typically 2-3 minutes delayed from TV...butif you can't get it on TV then this is a good alternative

mddukefan
02-20-2008, 01:24 PM
This may not be the best alternative but it's at least an option. XM radio carries the ACC games. Unfortunately, my local area will be covering the MD/VA Tech game. I'll probably just watch that game with the radio on in the background. It's old school lsitening to it on the radio but it's better than nothing for those in similar situations...

Dbluedevils1530
02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
The black jerseys would be awesome for tonights game no doubt. Hopefully we take it all out on the 'canes. Play great D tonight and I think this one will be ours.

Bluedog
02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Purely out of curiosity, is this thing completely legal, questionable legal, or clearly illegal? It doesn't matter to me, but I've been fairly interested in law relating to things like this lately. I can't see any clear affiliation with any of the television companies (if there is then never mind) but is there still some way that this is allowed? Or is it just kept hush hush?

I'm fairly certain that it's illegal. As I understand it, the site doesn't actually host anything, but rather provides appropriate links to other sites that run the channels - so it serves as a despository. Read the disclaimer here if you want:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/terms.html

I imagine they get around US laws since they are deemed to be based in Italy. "You agree that: (i) the channelsurfing.net Website shall be deemed solely based in Italy; and (ii) the channelsurfing.net Website shall be deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over channelsurfing.net, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than the Italian jurisdictions."

TwoDukeTattoos
02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
If we loose it will be. If we win it wont be.

I disagree slightly. I think that if we only escape, it will still make press and may not set a positive tone for the rest of our season. We have to win big.

dukestheheat
02-20-2008, 03:40 PM

IT'S TIME FOR DUKE TO UNLEASH: HELL.

i am dukestheheat and i approved this message.

Ignatius07
02-20-2008, 03:42 PM
I disagree slightly. I think that if we only escape, it will still make press and may not set a positive tone for the rest of our season. We have to win big.

Generally K's so-called "statement games" come in games on national TV against a good-to-very good opponent; i.e. not Miami.

Not that it wouldn't be great for the team's psyche to win big. Still, it's not like they've been playing poorly consistently.

greybeard
02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I think that we might see more from Lance tonight. I think that K will try to have Singler looking for Lance early in the game. Even if it is not there early, if the offense should stall in the second half, I wouldn't be surprised to see it tried again.

A lot will depend on how the body checks as Duke attackers approach the lane are called. If they get bellied away and therefore have difficulty making a big "First" step down the lane, the offense gets less potent. The place where the contact will begin is as the attacker approaches the foul line; if the attacker is forced to belly-out that is not good for Duke. Difficult call that did not go Duke's way against Wake.

uncwdevil
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
One thing that really bothered me on Sunday night against Wake was our willingness to pass up good, open looks at the basket from 12 feet or less in our effort to get a look from 3.

Paulus did this a lot, as did Henderson. For Gerald, it might be a result of his injury and not having confidence in his shot, but I would love to see Greg develop some kind of "Cota Floata" that he can use when he penetrates.

That's one of the things I'll be watching for tonight.

whereinthehellami
02-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I expect Duke to really be focused on defense and to take care of the ball on offense. I'll be looking for poise, togetherness, and alot of energy. I think those traits will give us a good glimpse of where this team is at mentally. Are they up against the wall?

Faison1
02-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I am so bummed....the game is not being shown out here in San Francisco. The San Jose Sharks are on instead.

I imagine this game will be a dog-fight

Classof06
02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm very curious about this game. I'd really like to see Duke rebound and absolutely dismantle Miami. But with the way Miami played us in Cameron, now having the home court advantage, I could see this game being very, very close. I'll be in attendance tonight and cannot wait! I'll be back after the game!

GO DUKE

bluedevildaddy
02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Here outside NYC, DirecTV channel 635 (FSN Florida) is listed to be broadcasting the game. Does anybody know if it will available here or will it only be available in Florida.

Also, has anybody had any success using channelsurfing.net? I have only been able to receive audio, but no video.

Thanks & Go Duke!

diesel
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
I might have wanted to go out and see the game vs Miami at a bar which has ESPN Full Court but my wife wants to watch the game too--and at home.

It so happens that we've just had Verizon FIOS installed and their TV guide tells me the Duke vs Miami game is on their channel 703 following the Wisconsin-Milwaukee vs Cleveland State game at 7pm. The latter game certainly is on now-- I checked. The Fios ' nomenclature says that that the channel is ESPN PPV2 which suggests to me that this may be a pay per view channel.

Pay per view or not, I hope to see the game or it'll be the first Duke game I've missed in many seasons.

Maybe some of the rest of you could explore this option. Good luck!

mgtr
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
One thing that really bothered me on Sunday night against Wake was our willingness to pass up good, open looks at the basket from 12 feet or less in our effort to get a look from 3.

Paulus did this a lot, as did Henderson. For Gerald, it might be a result of his injury and not having confidence in his shot, but I would love to see Greg develop some kind of "Cota Floata" that he can use when he penetrates.

That's one of the things I'll be watching for tonight.

I think that one problem presented by the three point line is the demise of the 12 foot jump shot. That is generally available, and not too difficult to take, but not too many players take it.

mgtr
02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Here outside NYC, DirecTV channel 635 (FSN Florida) is listed to be broadcasting the game. Does anybody know if it will available here or will it only be available in Florida.

Also, has anybody had any success using channelsurfing.net? I have only been able to receive audio, but no video.

Thanks & Go Duke!

Here in central Florida Directv lists the Sun Sports network (ch 634) as carrying the game, but it may be blacked out here, since the local Raycom affiliate is also carrying the game.
If you are not aware of it, for an extra $10 per month you can get every Fox sports channel on Directv. I sometimes end up watching games on the New England Sports network. Seems odd, particularly with some of the local commercials.

bluedevildaddy
02-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Here in central Florida Directv lists the Sun Sports network (ch 634) as carrying the game, but it may be blacked out here, since the local Raycom affiliate is also carrying the game.
If you are not aware of it, for an extra $10 per month you can get every Fox sports channel on Directv. I sometimes end up watching games on the New England Sports network. Seems odd, particularly with some of the local commercials.

Thanks for the info. We have been receiving Fox Sports channels also. DTV 634 here in NY currently lists the South Carolina@Florida game, but we have the dreaded 'This program is not available in your area' message, so I am not hopefull that we will get the Duke/Miami game on 635. I guess I'll just wait until 9 to find out.

Go Duke!

godukerocks
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm fairly certain that it's illegal. As I understand it, the site doesn't actually host anything, but rather provides appropriate links to other sites that run the channels - so it serves as a despository. Read the disclaimer here if you want:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/terms.html

I imagine they get around US laws since they are deemed to be based in Italy. "You agree that: (i) the channelsurfing.net Website shall be deemed solely based in Italy; and (ii) the channelsurfing.net Website shall be deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over channelsurfing.net, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than the Italian jurisdictions."

So do we get in trouble if we watch it?

duke211
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
We look slow again!

Genedoc
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Good grief. Can anyone tell me why for the last 3 halves of basketball we've started turning the ball over like co-ed church league junior high team?

watzone
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Real classy Miami. F-U Paulus chant. Duke is struggling with 7:51 to go in the first half. We need to tough it out and get a win somehow, someway.

HDB
02-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Is Gerald playing tonight?

godukerocks
02-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Real classy Miami. F-U Paulus chant. Duke is struggling with 7:51 to go in the first half. We need to tough it out and get a win somehow, someway.

I agree with Packer; Haith needs to stop the chants now.

duke211
02-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Has not even looked to shoot, I hope this is not another losing streak

Karl Beem
02-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Do we have the flu?

HDB
Henderson is the key to the rest of the season. His slashing to the hoop makes our offense much more dynamic....without it we become much easier to defend. Get healthy soon G.

captmojo
Classy cheers that display such wit make me glad Swofford got Miami in the conference. What a bunch of.........(fill in the blank)

duke92
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Do we have the flu?

If we do have the flu, then we caught it from Quentin Thomas.

Constantstrain 81
02-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, I've watched 15 minutes and had to listen to Billy Packer now for the whole game.

I do not know how we have won any games this year. We are slow, we can't rebound, Zoubek has been out of shape, every team we play against is the greatest team ever assembled.

I don't even know how we are leading this game in rebounding. Maybe lots of long rebounds or maybe the stats guy has it wrong.

Sigh - we probably can't even make the tournament.

dbd4ever
02-20-2008, 09:43 PM
What is wrong with us? We all look hesitant and tired. Everytime Demarcus and Scheyer have the ball or are shown up close, they look exhausted. Hats off to Lance, Zoubek especially, and Taylor. All three playing with energy and Zoubek looks great. Still trying to figure out how they are calling the game. One minute it's ticky-tac and the next bodies are flying. But through all 13 turnovers so far, K looks so non-chalant. Like it's no big deal. Miami is beating us everywhere but get this: rebounding. Go figure. Please pick it up guys!!!!

Coballs
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
It's looking like our boys have hit a wall.

duke211
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
look lost they need to figure out this defense

weezie
02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
What's the foul count?

kramerbr
02-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Wow...7-7, 100% so far.

Constantstrain 81
02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Taylor King is 6'9" now. That is why he can shoot over the guards so easily. Anyway, that's what Billy just said.

dbd4ever
02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Hooray for Taylor King!!!!!! Keep up the energy brother!!! And shoot the damn ball!!!

duke211
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
if we do we will be in big trouble

Constantstrain 81
02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
We definitely looked tight. Still no offense from Henderson. Shooting is poor, particularly from Nelson. Singler has not had a good game.

In fact, Miami leads by 5 at the half. They have several players having outstanding games. They are motivated and pumped. We are lethargic and out of sync. Still, we trail only by 5. We'll settle down in the second half.

Zoubek looks pretty decent. I say again, Zoubek looks pretty decent.

diesel
02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm really pleased to see Brian Zoubek making a contribution tonight. I hope this marks a return to him having more than token time.

watzone
02-20-2008, 09:55 PM
It's a long trip to Miami and the team seems to have lag. A step slow getting to the ball or staying in front of their assignment on defense. 14 turnovers will get you beat. Add Miami humidity and I just wanna get out of there with a win.

slower
02-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Lack of confidence? Fatigue? Injury? Seriously, this does not even look like the same team.

dukelifer
02-20-2008, 09:59 PM
What is wrong with us? We all look hesitant and tired. Everytime Demarcus and Scheyer have the ball or are shown up close, they look exhausted. Hats off to Lance, Zoubek especially, and Taylor. All three playing with energy and Zoubek looks great. Still trying to figure out how they are calling the game. One minute it's ticky-tac and the next bodies are flying. But through all 13 turnovers so far, K looks so non-chalant. Like it's no big deal. Miami is beating us everywhere but get this: rebounding. Go figure. Please pick it up guys!!!!

It is very possible that folks are not a 100%. Most everyone I know has some sort of respiratory ailment right now. Some sicker than others. For all we know- the players are run down for lots of reason. It just could be one of those rough weeks. Duke will need to tough it out.

Constantstrain 81
02-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Miami has "held" Duke to 40% shooting and "forced" 14 turnovers due to outstanding defense.

I must admit, having watched the first half, that our 40% shooting is due to missing lots of wide open shots, many without a Miami player close by.

Most of our turnovers are stupid plays and stupid passes. It is possible that Miami is the cause - maybe in a tele-kinetic sort of way.

That said, we have to settle down and take this one in the 2nd half.

Constantstrain 81
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
It is very possible that folks are not a 100%. Most everyone I know has some sort of respiratory ailment right now. Some sicker than others. For all we know- the players are run down for lots of reason. It just could be one of those rough weeks. Duke will need to tough it out.

I don't know. I didn't see and injury report on anything like that.

mgtr
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
What worries me is our weak passing, which has led to a lot of turnovers. Henderson hasn't (and maybe can't) done much, Paulus is tentative, Nelson is playing good defense but little offense. Where will we pick up in the second half? Miami is going to score some points, so we to score a lot.

Faison1
02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
did i see in the box score that singler has 2 pts at the half? maybe that's where our second half comes from

Duke79UNLV77
02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
It seems our energy level is low and we're passive on both offense and defense. Some lazy passes leading to turnovers, too. Not the time of year for that. Would like to see Smith harass the ball in the 2nd half.

Faison1
02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
did i see in the box score that singler has 2 pts at the half? maybe that's where our second half comes from

I'm blacked out in San Fran, so I don't know what's going on...

dbd4ever
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
They are being outmuscled right now. Nice finish to the half for Scheyer. The reason Singler has 2 is because he sat most of the half with 2 stupid fouls. Imagine that! I hope Coach K gets them focused at halftime. I don't see Miami coming out and shooting as good in the second half.

duke211
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
step up or lose the acc

dukeisawesome
02-20-2008, 10:11 PM
what station is it on? i'm not getting it in the dc area.

Duke79UNLV77
02-20-2008, 10:13 PM
not even close

dbd4ever
It's on Raycom Sports on local channels.

duke211
we will be ranked around 12 a 3 seed,

dbd4ever
Graham was still sliding when the whistle was blown!!! WTF

Duke1994
02-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Even Coach K looks shellshocked. He's gotta get more emotional to try to rile up the troops. It's obvious that they are lacking emotion tonight. K needs to try to motivate them asap!

_Gary
02-20-2008, 10:17 PM
what station is it on? i'm not getting it in the dc area.

Count yourself lucky. They look pretty bad right now. I agree with others that the team just seems "off". Not sure if it's energy or what, but this does NOT look like the same team I've seen most of this year. There are three things that are standing out to me thus far in the game (early second half):

1) Numerous outside shots have been short and we all know what that's an indication of.

2) Defense seems slow and off balance.

3) Gerald is a shell of his former self. And that's the biggest thing thus far. I concur with others (and said it myself after the WF loss) in that if Gerald isn't slashing and pulling up for jumpers or kicking out we are not the same team and can't expect to go far in the tourney.

Right now we are getting our lunch handed to us at the 16 minute mark of the second half.

Gary

duke211
bad coaching and no hustle

HateCarolina
We are playing like absolute crap. They are playing like we did at the end of last year.

HateCarolina
02-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Count yourself lucky. They look pretty bad right now. I agree with others that the team just seems "off". Not sure if it's energy or what, but this does NOT look like the same team I've seen most of this year. There are three things that are standing out to me thus far in the game (early second half):

1) Numerous outside shots have been short.

2) Defense seems slow and off balance.

3) Gerald is a shell of his former self. And that's the biggest thing thus far. I concur with others (and said it myself after the WF loss) in that if Gerald isn't slashing and pulling up for jumpers or kicking out we are not the same team and can't expect to go far in the tourney.

Right now we are getting our lunch handed to us at the 16 minute mark of the second half.

Gary

I have to agree with everything you said and add that we are just not trying to get with it...we are letting them have their way...

kramerbr
02-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Lance Thomas keeps following people and they are making the layups. He has about 4 fouls in the last 2 min. What is going on????????

TwoDukeTattoos
02-20-2008, 10:19 PM
We needed to win big. Of course, the main thing is to win. However, we need to win big in order to be considered a legitimate threat in national play. Right now, this team is scarily reminding me of last year's team. Hopefully my shudders will turn into cheers by game's end.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
So what exactly is a push off foul? Maybe I forgot what they looked like because they're not being called at ALL....

Hard to rebound when you're getting stiff armed.

Other than that, Miami is just playing harder and hitting some really tough shots.

banneheim
Who is this team that has played the last two games? Does anyone know if Coach K is under the weather, he has no emotion.....I would think Duke would love playing against a zone b/c of the three.

Coballs
As expected, the lack of an interior presence has finally caught up with us at both ends of the court.

Faison1
I would almost say I'm glad I'm not watching....I just caught a highlight on bonus ESPN coverage, and heard Packer laughing when Miami got a 3-Pt play.....made me want to punch the TV.......15 pts down...ouch.....hope they can come back

Packer is such a bum

YmoBeThere
02-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Emotionally, was the Carolina game the high water mark for these guys?

yancem
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm starting to have flashbacks to last year. We are playing soft and tentative. We are also not valuing the ball. On the other hand, Miami is all over the floor, making all of their shots and getting all of the loose balls.

We really need someone to step up big time!

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:22 PM
lol

How does Collins only have ONE foul? Crazy.

godukecom
02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
even bob harris has no emotion tonight... horrible
just horrible

TK in

YmoBeThere
At least we're hitting our free throws?

FerryFor50
At least Zoubek's playing well...

slower
02-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I would almost say I'm glad I'm not watching....I just caught a highlight on bonus ESPN coverage, and heard Packer laughing when Miami got a 3-Pt play.....made me want to punch the TV.......15 pts down...ouch.....hope they can come back

Packer is such a bum

he's not the one who's playing like a bum.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeesh....dagger 3.

watzone
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Just brutal. It's as if Duke's legs are stuck to the floor. Miami is just getting to the ball and Duke is out of synch on offense. Where are the picks?

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
sigh.

Airball FT.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:27 PM
That's more like it!

YmoBeThere
Maybe its a good thing I can't see it...

kydevil
Carry us Jon.

Please.

dukebdx12
wow... I was looking for a stream but I am just watching it from yahoo box score. I'm glad I could not find a stream as I would not want to watch this.

Coballs
What is this mess? I can't recall Duke being down 20 since the 1990 UNLV National Championship game.

dukebdx12
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
feed it to scheyer. he looks like he is good to go.

_Gary
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Ok, to be fair a part of tonight's problem is that Miami is hitting some crazy shots and Duke is missing a heck of a lot of open ones. If those two things even out to "average" we'd at least be in striking range. But even if those two things weren't happening we'd still be getting beat.

And God forbid, but we are looking like last year's team. Let's hope this is just an aberration. Or better yet, that we come all the way back and win.

Gary

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:29 PM
King needs to show more patience.

deuce_rawlin
02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Is it really as bad as gamecast on ESPN makes it out to be? How can we be playing this badly?

loran16
King needs to not be terrible.

Terrible shot selection, slow on defense, no basketball IQ.

he has one talent, 3 point shooting. I know its sexy, but think about it, if he keeps taking dumb shots and playing cruddy defense, he's a net negative.

This is why he rode the bench during our win streak.

deuce_rawlin
I AM glad it's not on regular TV or I would be losing it.

grossbus
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
"Is it really as bad as gamecast on ESPN makes it out to be?"

worse

watzone
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Maybe its a good thing I can't see it...

yep. see no evil

_Gary
02-20-2008, 10:32 PM

he has one talent, 3 point shooting. I know its sexy, but think about it, if he keeps taking dumb shots and playing cruddy defense, he's a net negative.

I think you guys are getting on Taylor too much. He's not the reason we are getting beat bad. No, he's not playing his best game tonight - but who the heck is?

Oh, and Billy Packer is really getting on my nerves.

Gary

YmoBeThere
More threes taken than two point field goals...

The1Bluedevil
Anyone that is watching, is Miami living in the paint?

freedevil
When Wake beat the snot out of Duke last week, you had to tip your hat to the Deacons. They just outplayed Duke.

This, this beatdown from the hands of Miami is embarrassing.

deuce_rawlin
Oh #@$#^%. This sucks.

slower
Time to go to YouTube to find something humorous

Faison1
There's still 10 minutes to go, right?

I have faith they can pull it together.

When they play D, they can lock down

TwoDukeTattoos
So what exactly is a push off foul? Maybe I forgot what they looked like because they're not being called at ALL....

Hard to rebound when you're getting stiff armed.

Other than that, Miami is just playing harder and hitting some really tough shots.

Duke is clearly mentally out of this game. Nothing is crisp, and their faces look glazed. And K is powerless to coach them through this.

dbd4ever
Why do they look soooo uninterested in the game and the fact that they are getting the s*** kicked out of them!!!

Bandy
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Apparently we have forgotten how to dribble, use screens and then drive/shoot/pass. Basics really.

Also the team looks lethargic - they are not going after long rebounds and dont seem to think their shots will go in. K seems content to watch. Me thinks he wants a player to ignite the fire and I think Paulus understands this dynamic but thats about it.

We have a chance if we start scoring. Our defense is down because we are missing our shots.

deuce_rawlin
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
How does this team with so many offensive weapons score 3 points in the first 8 minutes of the second half? We've had the same problem in various other games (Wake, MD, etc.). Where is the stagnation coming from?

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM

King is playing fine other than some ill-advised shots.

TwoDukeTattoos
At this point, if Duke would show some heart and win this thing somehow, I would chalk it up as a legit victory simply because they overcame the most adversity so far this year.

yancem
wow... I was looking for a stream but I am just watching it from yahoo box score. I'm glad I could not find a stream as I would not want to watch this.

You can watch the game here: www.channelsurfing.net

deuce_rawlin
Also Singler has really been hurting himself with bad fouls (Lance just can't help it).

Vincetaylor
02-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Too much King and Zoubek, not enough Henderson. Is it really just his wrist? WTF is wrong with him? He has been awful. This game reminds me way too much of our mid-season collapse last year. Not good.

FerryFor50
Thomas is playing with good energy.

loran16
I think you guys are getting on Taylor too much. He's not the reason we are getting beat bad. No, he's not playing his best game tonight - but who the heck is?

Oh, and Billy Packer is really getting on my nerves.

Gary

Dude, ive been saying this for weeks. Taylor had 2 great games in a row, ending with wisconsin. And when he does, its against opponents who have trouble offensively against us for certain reasons and when he randomly gets hot.

Wisconsin fit perfectly (Big10 teams are not offesnive juggernauts).

Against an ACC offense, he is hopelessly useless and if his shot isn't falling he's a total waste.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Too much King and Zoubek, not enough Henderson. Is it really just his wrist? WTF is wrong with him? He has been awful. This game reminds me way too much of our mid-season collapse last year. Not good.

Likely his wrist.

But Zoubek has had some positive minutes.

slower
at least Lance looks like he gives a crap!

loran16
Oh and we wont win this game if henderson is so frustrated he's just slapping at the ball.

yancem
It looks like Thomas has come out to play!

deuce_rawlin
02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
great tip on that channelsurfing site!

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow, no over the back on that one?

Go figure.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Packer says:

"Henderson with all kinds of confidence problems with his shot."

Or, an injured wrist.

loran16
02-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Packer says:

Or, an injured wrist.

If it's this bad, why play him these last 5 games? He's been a no factor in all of them, and playing cannot help the wrist.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
If it's this bad, why play him these last 5 games? He's been a no factor in all of them, and playing cannot help the wrist.

I agree.

Rest him.

But... the wrist doesn't affect the rest of his athletic ability, so I can see why he'd be playing.

yancem
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Packer says:

Or, an injured wrist.

I'm starting to think that if his wrist is effecting him this much that maybe he needs to sit out a game or two. He can't help the team very much if he can't be a scorer.

Faison1
02-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow!!! That streaming thing is awesome!!! Now, if only our team could play a little better.

I was just thinking about 2001 where DU looked like crap for the entire game against Maryland, but somehow pulled it off.

Have Faith!!!!

watzone
02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
There is seven minutes. Still, this is a test of ones fandom. I won't throw the team under the bus, nor a player. Duke has hit a wall and they are not the first team to do it. Miami is hungry as was Wake. NCAA berths are on the line. There will be better times. Hang in there for at some point players will stop having career games against us.

pamtar
02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Where's the "Its Over" thread when you need it.

Something is wrong with this team and I wonder what the hell it is. They aren't playing defense, they aren't running an offense to speak of, and they're playing with the emotion of NCSU.

This is the worst game I've seen since '95.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe he walked because HE GOT TRIPPED?

watzone
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
No production from the PG spot.

Coballs
St. John's would be the ideal game to rest Henderson.

I rescind my early statement. The last time I recall being down 20 was in the 2001 FF to Maryland. A similar turn around doesn't look like its gonna happen tonight.

FerryFor50
Nice mega-flop by McClinton.

_Gary
02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
With 7:28 to go and Miami up by 16 (with Duke going to the line for two) Packer said the game is in the bag if Miami just plays smart. So he's set it up that if Duke does come back it's only because the Canes "gave it away." Typical Packer. :rolleyes:

BTW, if we are going to get on King we need to get on some other guys too. I could name several guys that are playing really poor - and not just in this game.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Bad shot selection that series...

TwoDukeTattoos
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
At least Zoubs play decent tonight.

FerryFor50
With 7:28 to go and Miami up by 16 (with Duke going to the line for two) Packer said the game is in the bag if Miami just plays smart. So he's set it up that if Duke does come back it's only because the Canes "gave it away." Typical Packer. :rolleyes:

BTW, if we are going to get on King we need to get on some other guys too. I could name several guys that are playing really poor - and not just in this game.

I'd say Nelson is playing like crap right now.

yancem
Is this the same team that started 22-2?

TwoDukeTattoos
Bad shot selection that series...

I agree. Really, there has been bad shot selection for most of the game.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I agree. Really, there has been bad shot selection for most of the game.

Well, part of that has been the swarming Miami D. Part of that has been the "let em play" mentality of the refs, which doesn't favor Duke against more physical teams like Miami.

But yea, bad overall.

slower
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
It's the freaking Body-Snatchers! I just noticed that they all look like pod people.

Ben63
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Is this the same team that started 22-2?

No, not by any stretch of the imagination

FerryFor50
They should have pressed full court all game.

Faison1
Packer is such an A$%!!!!
He's saying to get ready for the next game.....

The1Bluedevil
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
The offense is not the issue.

dukebdx12
miami is playing horrible while leading. If this was a closer game miami would give this away. It looks like they have no idea what to do with a lead late in the game

Coballs
The only thing worse than watching Duke get their tails kicked is having Packer call the game.

watzone
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Duke will be back. Count on it.

FerryFor50
How come we're not allowed to go over the backs for rebounds? Everyone else seems to be allowed to do it to us...

slower
The offense is not the issue.

Well, it's certainly PART of the problem.

dbd4ever
Is it possible we could have a patented Duke run left? There hasn't been one yet.

FreezingDevil
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd say Nelson is playing like crap right now.
sad but true. we really need our captain to step up right now and he has failed to do so thus far.

_Gary
02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, Collins has gone Bootsy on us and that's been a big part of why we are losing. I doubt he will ever duplicate his play in this game.

godukerocks
Their PA announcer is getting on my nerves.

"He took too many steps with the ball!..."

This is not a Pistons game.

I've got to rant about something right now.

watzone
Jimmy V. Never give up!

FerryFor50
Miami is friggin stupid.

Taking shots with 30 sec left on the shot clock?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

dbd4ever
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
They are trying but I still think we are getting a raw deal on this officiating S***!!!!!

The1Bluedevil
Well, it's certainly PART of the problem.

Duke is shooting horribly and still will get 80. The D has looked like that light blue squad a few miles away. Over 55 % come on you can't beat teams doing that.

jipops
We've now been outplayed by two teams with very similar makeups. Both wake and miami have a combination of size and speed which we appear to be completely unable to guard. We're quick, but we don't have the quickness of these teams and ofcourse we don't have the size.

Let's get this straight. We're losing b/c we can't guard anybody. Yes our offense sucks, but our complete inability to man anyone on teams of the types described above is killing us.

dukebdx12
Here We Come!!!!!

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, Collins has gone Bootsy on us and that's been a big part of why we are losing. I doubt he will ever duplicate his play in this game.

Well, look at how good we've made other 6'9"+ stiffs look...

The only reason he didn't run roughshod on us last game is because he was in foul trouble the whole time.

CDu
It appears that we're trying our best to make sure as many ACC teams make the tourney as possible. Thankfully, Miami has played REALLY dumb basketball ever since they got that 20-point lead, and we've shot the lights out to make them pay. We might just sneak out a win here.

yancem
Is Miami trying to give the game away? Why are they shooting the ball with so much time left on the shot clock? I'll take it but not very smart!

dukebdx12
Miami is friggin stupid.

Taking shots with 30 sec left on the shot clock?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

what i said earlier. They look like they have never had a lead late in the game and do not know what to do.

Faison1
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Jimmy V. Never give up!

That's what I'm talking about Watzone!!!!

Keep the faith!!!!

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I like how Packer said Scheyer isn't a great shooter... "but a great scorer!"

Dude is shooting 5-9 from 3 and he's not a great shooter?

Duke79UNLV77
02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
too late? at least scheyer is showing some heart.

nothing we can do about it now, or next year, but agree that there's no excuse for our program having zero bulk down low.

SharkD
02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Beautiful touch pass to Paulus.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Looking promising....

But still looking daunting.

Especially with guys shooting like Miami is.

yancem
Nice to see Scheyer being assertive and hitting his shots!

SharkD
I'm really getting sick of Packer proclaiming that he can't figure out why Henderson just doesn't seem comfortable shooting -- maybe it has to do with the big black brace on his sprained wrist, Billy.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
McClinton is FAST. Jeez.

_Gary
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm telling you guys, Miami has hit some crazy shots in this game. Take that away and we are probably tied at this point (2:30 to go).

Another huge lucky break for Miami on the missed free throw from Nelson.

Gary

TwoDukeTattoos
02-20-2008, 11:03 PM
For some reason, Miami is not playing to close the deal. With some hot shooting, good D, and no turnovers, maybe we still have a prayer.

FerryFor50
Looks like they're going to have to start fouling.

yancem
Why was there no one from Duke back there for the tip out?

FerryFor50
One positive was the performance from the FT line.

jipops
02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm telling you guys, Miami has hit some crazy shots in this game. Take that away and we are probably tied at this point (2:30 to go).

Another huge lucky break for Miami on the missed free throw from Nelson.

Gary

No, Miami has hit very easy shots. Our defense is absolutely terrible.

SharkD
Ahhh, so much better than listening to Packer -- a loud annoying beep.

deuce_rawlin
This is crazy.

dukebdx12
02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
no have no answer for the paint. miami is killing us there

deuce_rawlin
There are in this game. Amazing. GO!

FerryFor50

So those running floaters by McClinton or the turnaround fadeaways with defenders in their face weren't crazy, hard shots?

Mike Corey
Ahhh, so much better than listening to Packer -- a loud annoying beep.

Amen.

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow. Bad, bad foul.

Well, good for us.

But just dumb.

yancem
We need some stops. We can't afford to trade baskets.

_Gary

I don't know. I've seen a few circus shots. But I also agree we've played horrible defensive and they have had a lot of easy inside baskets.

Gary

TwoDukeTattoos
I remember Duke/Maryland in '01...

slower
just start fouling them - they may self-destruct

dw0827
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
We gave up 86 against Wake and 90+ tonight.

Can't win doing that.

SharkD
Aaaack! Jon missed one.

Faison1
Yeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!

deuce_rawlin
Unbelievable...Scheyer talked Ashbury into that one...

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Bad decision by Paulus.

loran16
02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Terrible shot by paulus...off balence, plenty fo time, not needing a 3.

Greedy greedy greedy

FerryFor50
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Greedy greedy greedy

Yep. Even if he had hit it, it was a bad shot.

_Gary
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Bad decision by Paulus.

Definitely.

deuce_rawlin
02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Argh.

SharkD
crap, not the best guy to foul.

loran16
Seriously, what was the point of that.....they pass it away from mcclinton and they wait 6 seconds to foul......by which point it hits mcclinton again.

deuce_rawlin
OK DeMarcus, take the dunk. Need a steal or foul fast.

SharkD
02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Push!

loran16
And wasted too much time on the shot.

FerryFor50
Wow, Paulus hit a contested layup.

Crazy!

yancem
Not a smart shot by Paulus. We need to score on that trip.

deuce_rawlin
Darn it. Why foul McClinton....

_Gary
02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
We are going to have to get a steal on one of these inbounds plays late to have a chance. Intentional fouling isn't going to cut it.

Gary

Coballs
Nelson steals the ball! Nelson steals the ball!

dukebdx12

Greedy greedy greedy

yea we say that now. But he shoots like that sometimes and we love when he makes it. If he would have made it, it would have been a great shot.

yancem
Wee need to foul someone other than Mclinton

deuce_rawlin
02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
We need a break. Something to go our way...steal, TO, something.

FerryFor50
yea we say that now. But he shoots like that sometimes and we love when he makes it. If he would have made it, it would have been a great shot.

No it was still a bad shot. They didn't need a 3 there.

_Gary
Dang! Close to a five second call.

yancem
02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Ok that was scary, I lost my feed for a few seconds:eek:

Faison1
i lost my feed!!!!! what happened????

FerryFor50
Where's J-Will when you need him? :p

deuce_rawlin
Nice

TwoDukeTattoos
too little too late

loran16
02-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Quick foul, not on mcclinton...okay, but you gotta get back down the court fast and hit a shot (preferably a 3).

deuce_rawlin
02-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Need to steal this inbounds pass, kick it out, 3.......c'mon

loran16
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Way too much time on that possession. Paulus fumbling it was such a waste.

1.6 seconds without a timeout....we need a dock shot.

FerryFor50
Another terrible decision by Paulus.

_Gary
It's over. Too little, too late for sure.