PDA

View Full Version : NIT champ vs. NCAA Sweet 16

JasonEvans
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Which is harder, winning the NIT or making the Sweet 16?

-Jason "vote and post your thoughts" Evans

JasonEvans
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
I vote NIT champ, but it depends a bit upon your seed.

If you are a bubble team that would have been like a #12 or #11 seed, making the Sweet 16 means winning 2 games against teams in the #4/5 seed kinda range. Compare that to winning 5 in a row against teams that are almost all teams that just barely missed getting into the dance. In that case, NIT is certainly harder in my book.

That said, if you make the dance as a #7 or #8 and are going to be facing a #2 or especially a #1 seed to make the Sweet 16, it is probably harder to win that game than it is to go all the way against the NIT field.

-Jason "is it noon yet?!?!?" Evans

CMS2478
03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I think unless you are referring to lower seeded teams in the NCAA. If we are talking about a higher seeded team in the tournament it is the NIT, IMO. You only have to win 2 games to make it to the Sweet 16, as opposed to playing in a field in the NIT where really there are no top seeds. Anybody can beat anybody in that field of 32. The playing level is more equal in the NIT, which makes it harder to put together 4 victories (is that right 4?) in row against teams that are very similar to you in talent.

Nittany Devil
03-15-2007, 11:31 AM
My vote went to the NIT winner. The NIT competition seems so balanced that you'd figure that the eventual winner may have around a 5% chance of winning. In the NCAA Tournament, even if you only have a 25% chance of winning each game you play, you'd still have a better chance of reaching the Sweet 16. Of course, as mentioned, NCAA seeding leads to wide variability in a team's chances.

I've thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could inject the NIT winner into the second round of the NCAA Tournament?" That's a little far-fetched, but it would be kind of exciting. The snubs at least would have a chance to play their way in, and people would care more about the NIT. I don't see it ever happening, though.

Clipsfan
03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought the question wasn't which was harder, but which garnered more respect, which made it an easy question for me. I agree with Jason that Seed make a big difference for ease. A 16 seed which made the Sweet 16 (or even an 8 or 9) impresses me more than an NIT winner.

JasonEvans
03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I thought the question wasn't which was harder, but which garnered more respect, which made it an easy question for me. I agree with Jason that Seed make a big difference for ease. A 16 seed which made the Sweet 16 (or even an 8 or 9) impresses me more than an NIT winner.

The question is "which is harder to do"-- I think making the Sweet 16 gets you more respect and attention than winning the NIT. Frankly, no one really knows who wins the NIT most years.

I love the notion of the NIT champ getting a spot in the NCAA tourney, but it ain't gonna happen. The timing of the games makes it impossible.

-Jason "NCAA tourney is now on-- who gives a @#$^@^ about the NIt anymore?!?!" Evans