PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup

gw67
02-17-2008, 08:58 AM
The DBR ACC Roundups this year have been superb. As one who follows the entire league, not just Duke, the thoughts and comments in ACC Roundup add to my enjoyment of ACC basketball. Thanks, fellas!

Some of my thoughts after watching the UNC and Maryland games yesterday:

The Heels' performance was amazing. Not only were they the more talented team but they outhustled the Hokies. It is apparent that Packer really likes Hansbrough but I think he mispoke when comparing him to other ACC greats. He will be the first since Jamison to make All ACC his first three years. There are many who have made All ACC three times. I believe that Hansbrough could be the first player to be a four time, first team All ACC team selection if he decides to stick around for his senior year (Where is Charlie Board when I need him?).
The Terps played an FSU team that shot out of their minds on contested three pointers in the first half yesterday. In the second half, the Terps overcame the 8 point deficit and pounded the Noles. Milbourne had a wonderful game. At the beginning of the year, I stated the he could be a Reyshawn Terry type player. It appears that he is just that with a lot of room to improve. He isn't yet the rebounder and defensive player that Terry was but he is a reliable three point shooter (43%), a great foul shooter (85%) and he finishes on the break as well as anyone in the ACC.
It appears that four teams have separated themselves from the pack and I agree with DBR's breakdown of the teams.

gw67

gw67
02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I note that DBR did not include the Post writeups for the Tech and Terps games. Both writeups were very good and are linked below. The Tech writeup had a photo that shows an end view of the court and all the player banners. Do the Heels have any numbers that aren't retired?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/16/AR2008021602661.html?sub=AR

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/16/AR2008021601950.html

gw67

Troublemaker
02-17-2008, 12:04 PM
I always enjoy your ACC roundups, gw. It'll be interesting to see how good Maryland is next season. They'll have a Final Four quality backcourt but Gary will need to pull some miracles in the frontcourt for them to contend after Gist and Osby leave. I mean, Dupree didn't even play against FSU, continuing a trend of his minutes regressing this season. I have no doubt that Dupree will eventually become a good ACC player because Gary can develop them, but he'll need to take a giant step forward between this season and next for Maryland to contend. Same with Shane Walker. Another option is incoming freshman center Gus Gilchrist, but more than likely, he'll need time to develop as well. Right now, the Terps have two big question marks at the 4 and 5 going into next season, and I think Gary might end up going small by putting Milbourne at the 4 to eliminate at least one hole. Tucker and Bowie would have to step up their games to fill out the backcourt rotation and Tucker might be needed to start at the 3 under this scenario. It'll be interesting to see what happens, who develops, what adjustments are made.

gw67
02-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Off the top of my head, Duke, UNC, Wake, Clemson, BC and Virginia Tech appear to have good teams for next year. Maryland, N.C.State, Miami and Georgia Tech return some good players but have some holes. Virginia and Florida State may have some problems in what may be a comeback year for the ACC.

Maryland returns three starters, all perimeter players plus their backups and one of their top recruits is a perimeter player from Baltimore. Gilchrist is counted on as an immediate starter when he becomes eligible in December. Until then, the Terps will have to make due with Walker, Dupree and a big Juco who recently committed to them. I agree with you that a flexible coach like Coach K would probably play a four out, one in offense with the three big men sharing the inside position until Gilchrist is ready to play. But Williams is far from flexible and I think that he will stick with the flex and two big men down low. By the way, the local scholastic writers think that Gilchrist is the real deal. Most thought that he was the prize recruit for Tech last year. The Terps have the potential to be very good in league play next year but they may have another rough start.

gw67

CDu
02-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Wake just did wonders for their resume. They still have to show they can win on the road. But if they win at Ga Tech, at Va Tech, and against NC St, they may just have a shot at the tourney now. Their hopes are very much alive. And if they play like this against Maryland at home, they could put themselves in VERY good shape.

TravisMcGee
02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey folks - I read this thread last night and figured it wasn't the right time to reply -- I hope it's ok now.

For what it's worth, Gus Gilchrist has been practicing for over a month now and will have a full year of practice time before he finally gets to set foot on the court for the Terps. I have been told that he has been very solid from day one with good post moves and nice touch out to the FT line. He's a big kid at 6' 10" and 250ish. And, it may be a coincidence but both Gist and Osby have improved their level of play since Gilchrist has been able to practice.

Also, as has already been mentioned, the Terps appear to have another Juco, strictly low blocks kid, ready to go if there is a scholly available and he gets qualified. His name is Ken Bowman and he as currently at Hutchinson Comm. College.

I'm hoping Gilchrist is the real deal because although I think they can be solid in time there are no "bigs" currently on the bench that can step in for Gist and Osby next year. We'll see how much ground we lose.

Tough game last night -- I thought more than anything your guys looked a tired. Not quite as quick, a little more reaching and perhaps some of those threes weren't falling because the legs weren't there? Good luck the rest of the way and thanks for allowing me to "interlope" again.

sandinmyshoes
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Wake could be scary good next year. With the young players they have this year improving as the season has progressed and a very good recruiting class coming in.

gw67
02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Travis - Thanks for the post and your input in response to Troublemaker's question. You mentioned availability of scholarships. Do you have any insight on who might be transferring?

I agree with you that several Devils didn't seem to have their legs against Wake. In addition to the time of the year and playing through injuries, I suspect that the Maryland game may have taken a little out of the team and that there was a mild letdown against Wake.

gw67

TravisMcGee
02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
gw67 - I have only heard rumors about scholarship availabilities. There have been rumblings about a couple of the young guys moving down a division but I have also heard that this is absolutely not true. I was told that Dave Neal might give up his scholarship next year ala Bobby Frasor -- but who knows.

It's interesting because as you may already know there is another Juco queued up ahead of Bowman to transfer in. Bobby Maze is a local kid who is also at Hutchinson (by way of Oklahoma) who wants to transfer. There are two known scholarships available, Gist and Osby, and they are slated for Gilchrist and Sean Mosley. Mosley has yet to qualify so Maze may only be a back up plan in case Mosley doesn't make. So we have two scholarships and four kids that want to come -- I dunno??? It seems like a lot of work for nothing if there are no more spots. Perhaps where theres smoke.....

I'm very anxious about Mosley -- I hope he makes it. By all accounts a good kid and a jack of all trades on the court. I think Gary's teams have been lacking basketball IQ since 2002 and this kid supposedly has it in spades -- a Keith Booth kind of kid.

Ok, enough about the Terps. This is a Duke board. Have a good day all.

ugadevil
02-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I was just curious to know if you're a Duke fan or a fan of some other ACC school? The majority of your posts have good information about all the teams, which makes it difficult for me to know where your loyalty lies. If it's with Duke, I'm glad we have someone who's so knowledgable on our side. If it's for another school, thanks for sharing your viewpoints here. I appreciate seeing your insight on all the various teams in this conference.

gw67
02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
uga - I have been a fan of Duke basketball since the early 60's. I spent some time in South Charleston, WV in the 50's and went to school and played baseball/basketball with Buzzy Harrison who was a three-year starter on the Mullens/Heyman/Marin teams. My wife graduated from Maryland and got her graduate degree there during the Lucas/McMillan/Elmore days and we attended a bunch of games at Cole during Lefty's early years. That experience plus the fact the Terps were on the tube a bunch during those early days made me a Maryland fan. On top of that, one of my very best friends for almost 40 years is a Virginia grad and, before he and his wife moved to Arizona, we attended games at U Hall and Cole every year so I got to see a lot of ACC basketball from 1970-2000. When the Devils and Terps play, I just sit back and enjoy.

Living in Northern Virginia, it is easy to follow ACC basketball, particularly, if you have an understanding wife. She does not schedule any social commitments during the NCAA tournament.

gw67