PDA

View Full Version : How about Dawkins for IU

CameronBornAndBred
02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Sampson is gone, no doubt. So that leaves them looking for a replacement, one who is going to bring in credibility with the clean image they need right now. I think JD would be a great option. He has to get out on his own anyways, (get some experience, then come home when K is ready to retire)and what a perfect match. Just tossing it out there..

Bluedog
02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Not seeing it happen. I can only see JD taking one head coaching job....and that's spelled D-U-K-E. He's turned down sooo many head coaching offers before in both college and the NBA, that I assume teams have stopped trying. I could be wrong, though, and it wouldn't be the first time. But I just don't see it.

Misunderestimated
02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Interesting thought. I can think of a number of reasons why he could consider another school besides Duke. Would anyone really want to follow K? Wherever he ends up one day, they'll be lucky to have him.

houstondukie
02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Were any of those jobs previously turned down JD as high profile as Indiana? Coack K doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I would think JD would have to think long and hard if he were to be offered the job.

Indoor66
02-16-2008, 08:46 PM
All due respect to JD, but he has never been a head coach. Why would Indiana take a chance on a totally unproven commodity?

bfree
02-16-2008, 08:52 PM
It seems to be "common wisdom" in the Duke community that JD has turned down numerous head coaching gigs. Is that really true? Which schools? When? I'm not a history buff (as I only really became a serious fan after I got my acceptance letter), and I'm not saying it isn't true... just curious for more info.

billybreen
02-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I'll be happy if JD stays right where he is. :)

mgtr
02-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't have any desire to run JD off, particularly when we appear to building a series of great teams. Besides, why would he want to walk into a really bad situation at Indiana, where they are bound to be on all kinds of hurt from the NCAA, apparently have an idiot for for AD (well, he may know about that problem already), and chased off a great coach?
I don't se it.

YmoBeThere
02-16-2008, 09:13 PM
(as I only really became a serious fan after I got my acceptance letter)

How did you get past the admissions committee?:D

CameronBornAndBred
02-16-2008, 09:16 PM
I won't be happy if he stays right where he is. I sure hope he isn't on staying at Duke with the intention of taking over one day without having head coaching experience of his own. Ask Pete Gaudet how well being K's assistant works out in the guaranteed winner column. (He was the one who had the unfortunate assignment in '95-'96, and led the Devils to a year to forget.)
I don't care if it's IU or not, but the assistants have got to go somewhere else first and get their feet wet.

billybreen
02-16-2008, 09:17 PM
How did you get past the admissions committee?:D

Actually, I wasn't a fan until seeing a game freshman year. Greg Newton went toe to toe with Matt Harpring. It was rad.

YmoBeThere
02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I won't be happy if he stays right where he is. I sure hope he isn't on staying at Duke with the intention of taking over one day without having head coaching experience of his own. Ask Pete Gaudet how well being K's assistant works out in the guaranteed winner column. (He was the one who had the unfortunate assignment in '95-'96, and led the Devils to a year to forget.)
I don't care if it's IU or not, but the assistants have got to go somewhere else first and get their feet wet.
Agreed, HC experience is a definite must when Coach K decides to hang it up. In like 35 years, right?

YmoBeThere
02-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Actually, I wasn't a fan until seeing a game freshman year. Greg Newton went toe to toe with Matt Harpring. It was rad.

I'm had some uhhmmm, difficulty, in knowing who to root for while in high school. I came to my senses when the hard decision of where to matriculate had to be made.

devilirium
02-16-2008, 09:27 PM
^ Vic Bubas may disagree with your assessment.

I would be shocked if Johnny doesn't succeed Coach K, particularly when Coach K has strongly hinted that Coach Dawkins would be a worthy successor.

norduck
02-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Sampson is gone, no doubt. So that leaves them looking for a replacement, one who is going to bring in credibility with the clean image they need right now. I think JD would be a great option. He has to get out on his own anyways, (get some experience, then come home when K is ready to retire)and what a perfect match. Just tossing it out there..

Jeff Capel III

ugadevil
02-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Jeff Capel III

Haha...Capel is still trying to clean up the mess that Sampson left at Oklahoma. I doubt he'd want to move on and clean up the next mess that he's already made.

norduck
02-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Haha...Capel is still trying to clean up the mess that Sampson left at Oklahoma. I doubt he'd want to move on and clean up the next mess that he's already made.

This mess was nipped in the bud though!

Mike Corey
02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
It seems to be "common wisdom" in the Duke community that JD has turned down numerous head coaching gigs. Is that really true? Which schools?

It would be more accurate to say that Dawkins--not to mention Collins and Wojo--has turned down serious interest from various programs that wanted him to become their head coach. Whether or not any head coaching gigs have formally been offered is something I do not know the answer to, but presumably others (Jim Sumner) on this board would know.

ugadevil
02-16-2008, 10:52 PM
This mess was nipped in the bud though!

Nipped in the bud? How? Everything I've heard is that the program has major violations. I think there are going to be some tough consequences for Sampson's mistakes.

banneheim
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
I remember during Pete Gaudet's tenure, there was a big issue about NCAA limiting ^$%^$%^$%. Coach's salary but on these forums I see JD is making around a million, (worth every penny). Did the NCAA change its rules? Can anyone elaborate on this?

NashvilleDevil
02-16-2008, 11:46 PM
My brother is a very, very proud alum of IU. When Sampson got hired he was a little worried because of the problems he had at Oklahoma. He also feels that the AD was only concerned about hiring a coach who could win and did not think about IU's reputation as a squeaky clean program.

Now that Sampson is in deep trouble again my brother and many of his friends want him gone as soon as possible. When I talked to him about a new coach I mentioned JD as a candidate. He had 2 concerns if JD were somehow to become the HC. 1. Having his first coaching job be IU which is pressure enough but having to do it while on probation. 2. IU will want a coach that will stay there for 10-15 years and he thinks that once Coach K retires then JD would leave for Duke. I will say the one person he does not want to see mentioned in any of this is Bob Knight.

Channing
02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I have heard that IU fans want Sampson out - but I think I heard them chanting his name at the game today. I know that was only a microcosm of the fan base, but still.

Also, I call BS on IU fans being so concerned about their squeaky clean NCAA image. Yes - it is important, but I think the bigger concern for IU fans are the sanctions they are going to have to endure because of these violations. Most fans couldnt care less whether or not their program graduates players.

USC fans will defend Pete Carroll to the death because he wins. The same situation occurs at schools across the country. Thats just my .02

billybreen
02-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I have heard that IU fans want Sampson out - but I think I heard them chanting his name at the game today. I know that was only a microcosm of the fan base, but still.

Well, a big win will energize some people. IMHO, they should boot him.

Dukiedevil
02-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Also, I call BS on IU fans being so concerned about their squeaky clean NCAA image. Yes - it is important, but I think the bigger concern for IU fans are the sanctions they are going to have to endure because of these violations. Most fans couldnt care less whether or not their program graduates players.

USC fans will defend Pete Carroll to the death because he wins. The same situation occurs at schools across the country. Thats just my .02

Oh c'mon... Do you honestly think that Duke fans are the only ones who care if players graduate or we run a squeaky program? That's just rediculous. IU folks, for the most part, did NOT like the Sampson hire in the first place and they are just PO'd about the whole thing. How would you feel if Calipari was named K's successor? Sure you'd still be a fan and be happy you were winning, but you'd be a little embarassed about your program. IU has a strong tradition people in Indiana don't put up with crap like this.

SeattleIrish
02-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Oh c'mon... Do you honestly think that Duke fans are the only ones who care if players graduate or we run a squeaky program? That's just rediculous. IU folks, for the most part, did NOT like the Sampson hire in the first place and they are just PO'd about the whole thing. How would you feel if Calipari was named K's successor? Sure you'd still be a fan and be happy you were winning, but you'd be a little embarassed about your program. IU has a strong tradition people in Indiana don't put up with crap like this.

Bingo - I'm tight with 3 IU alums/fans and they are all very upset. Sampson is a stain, in their eyes.

s.i.

JasonEvans
02-17-2008, 09:11 AM
A few comments--

I agree that IU will not want to take someone who is likely to leave as soon as the Duke job comes open (in about a decade?). IU will also probably want someone who has a head coaching track record elsewhere. That said, JD is so highly respected and Duke is so highly regarded that if any assistant coach in the nation can go directly to as big a job as the IU one it is probably JD.

Still, I don't think JD would be interested even if IU was. K has made it quite clear that JD will be his successor. JD does not need to leave Durham to get that job and JD is quite happy here at K's side. Uprooting his family (wife and 4 kids) to move to Bloomington is probably not something he wants to entertain at this point.

One more thing-- it is generally accepted that if JD had wanted the Georgetown job, he could have had it a couple years ago. They apparently wanted him more than they wanted JT III. If JD turned down Georgetown, he is not going to go to Indiana.

I think that IU will get rid of Sampson, probably in the next few days. They will likely go the "interim head coach" route until the season is done simply because anything else is really difficult. REgardless, when they do hire a new head coach, I would be very surprised if it is not Steve Alford.

Alford is currently at New Mexico and he is doing a nice job there in his first season (they are 20-6 and seem to have a decent shot at an NCAA bid). He did a nice job at Iowa before that, though his final season there was a poor one and his teams seemed to flame out in the NCAA tourney a bit too often. Still, he has shown he can win in the Big Ten (look at how good Iowa was 2 years ago) and would probably do even better at IU vs. Iowa because of the inherrent advantages of coaching at a legandary program like IU.

--Jason "Alford will get the job. Mark it down." Evans

billybreen
02-17-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm a believer.

Uncle Drew
02-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm a believer.

I have to agree with Jason and Breen that Alford is the most logical and best fit WHEN KS gets the boot. At this point I don't think it's a question of if but when, but I've been wrong before.

While I think JD would be a good choice (as would Collins or Wojo) I have a feeling the NCAA is going to put IU on some kind of probation despite the situation being 99% to blame on KS. Amaker found out going into a situation where the team is already on probabtion is tough. And I personally don't see Gordon staying past this year, so I think there are better opportunites for any Duke assistant opening if not this year in future years.

Billy Breen, you haven't ever lived in Burlington have you? I graduated with a guy named Mike Breen who had an older brother named Billy.

yancem
02-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I was also going to mention that if IU was interested in Dawkins that he should contact Amaker. Going into a program with sanctions or on probation is a tough road to haul. I do think that the IU position is different from the Michigan position from the stand point that IU is much more supportive of their basketball program than Michigan is but I still don't think that it is a very ideal situation for starting your head coaching carreer.

Regardless, my impression is that Dawkins is happy where he is and has no intentions of leaving Duke if he doesn't have to. One think to keep in mind with Dawkins is that he had a fairly solid nba career and therefor has a little more money in the bank than the average assistant coach. His motivation to move into a head coaching position may not be as high as some might think.

YmoBeThere
02-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm a believer.
Not a trace of doubt in my mind...

rockymtn devil
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I've read Dakich for the remainder of the season and Scott Skiles taking over as the HC at IU next season. Alford is the obvious choice, but wasn't he the obvious choice when Sampson was hired?

billybreen
02-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Has anyone mentioned RMK for the job yet? He's not doing anything right now.

MulletMan
02-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Not really... I mean its on par with announcers mentioning that one of our current players was a HS QB... who was that again?
:D

devildeac
02-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm a believer.

I couldn't leave her if I tried...

Cameron
02-17-2008, 02:18 PM
(He was the one who had the unfortunate assignment in '95-'96, and led the Devils to a year to forget.)

The season you were referring was 1994-95. Sorry, correct dates happen to be a pet peeve of mine;) I have little bit of Howard Hughes in me, or so I'm told by friends:D (Perhaps that's not something to laugh about, however).

BlueintheFace
02-17-2008, 02:43 PM
One of the crazies always asks coach K about Dawkins leaving for a premier head coaching job during the Q&A sessions before the Carolina home game and Coach K always says something to the effect of, "I won't speak for Johnny, but I know he and his family are very happy in Durham right now. He has a few young kids growing up and he is just loving being a dad and helping Duke basketball, but you never know." He never answers one way or another, but usually implies that it is pretty unlikely.

billybreen
02-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Not really... I mean its on par with announcers mentioning that one of our current players was a HS QB... who was that again?
:D

Hmm, I think I've heard of that. Wasn't he recruited to go play football at some other school? Scroter something . . . The name escapes me.

billybreen
02-17-2008, 03:03 PM

RMK coming back to IU would be like Steve Jobs coming back to Apple, a cantankerous visionary forced out due to attitude / maturity issues returning to save his old shop from potential disaster. If RMK wins a National Championship in 2010, it'll be just like Jobs creating the iPod.

Think about it.

CameronBornAndBred
02-17-2008, 03:37 PM
The season you were referring was 1994-95. Sorry, correct dates happen to be a pet peeve of mine;) I have little bit of Howard Hughes in me, or so I'm told by friends:D (Perhaps that's not something to laugh about, however).

You're right, thanks. I even went back to make sure I had the correct year before I posted, and typed it wrong anyways. My wife would be proud, she says I'll stand behind a wrong fact even with the proof in front of me.

I'm also agreeing with some of the Alford guys here, that would be a sensible fit. I don't care much who ultimately gets the job, but it wouldn't surprise me if JD isn't mentioned. I'm sure hoping K will be here for a long while to come, but whoever takes his spot when that time comes really should have some HC experience.

mehmattski
02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
RMK coming back to IU would be like Steve Jobs coming back to Apple, a cantankerous visionary forced out due to attitude / maturity issues returning to save his old shop from potential disaster. If RMK wins a National Championship in 2010, it'll be just like Jobs creating the iPod.

Think about it.

This guy (http://deadspin.com/356968/oh-how-matters-have-changed-in-bloomington) suggested that they bring back Bobby. IU Security made him take the shirt off...

Carlos
02-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I remember during Pete Gaudet's tenure, there was a big issue about NCAA limiting ^$%^$%^$%. Coach's salary but on these forums I see JD is making around a million, (worth every penny). Did the NCAA change its rules? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Yes the NCAA changed its rules but it wouldn't matter in this instance. The cap on assistant coach salaries was only for the specific "restricted-earnings" position, not all positions. Gaudet was in the restricted-earnings spot because he didn't want to recruit. Duke could have put him in one of the non-restricted earnings positions but it would have meant that they would have had one less guy out on the road recruiting since the restricted-earnings coach was prohibited from recruiting.

At any rate, Gaudet had always been in that position but things changed when the NCAA ruled that those coaches couldn't augment their income from other basketball-related activities - specifically summer camps. He and several others sued and won and the restrictions were lifted.

billybreen
02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
This guy (http://deadspin.com/356968/oh-how-matters-have-changed-in-bloomington) suggested that they bring back Bobby. IU Security made him take the shirt off...

Haters.

DukeDevilDeb
02-17-2008, 04:06 PM
^ Vic Bubas may disagree with your assessment.

I would be shocked if Johnny doesn't succeed Coach K, particularly when Coach K has strongly hinted that Coach Dawkins would be a worthy successor.

I don't think Johnny is going anywhere... certainly not soon and NOT to a place like Indiana that needs a major clean up.

It isn't so hard for me to imagine that Johnny wants to remain in the Durham area and, if possible, at Duke. Right now, there is no other coach in the US I can imagine taking over for K... Quin? Not a chance. Jeff Capel? I don't think he'd want to come back to an arena where boos were heard when he came back into a game as a player (they were boos for Coach K for putting him in). Tommy? Couldn't handle Michigan. Brey? Think he's loving it at Notre Dame.

And of currect existing head coaches, who would want to follow K's act? Roy?

Go Devils!

mapei
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
One more thing-- it is generally accepted that if JD had wanted the Georgetown job, he could have had it a couple years ago. They apparently wanted him more than they wanted JT III.

Jason, I'd be interested in knowing whether there's a source for that. I *never* heard it here in DC, and I follow the Georgetown program very closely. In fact, at the time, I was pushing hard for JD on the main Hoya board but never even heard that there was any contact with Johnny. There was certainly some talk in the press and among people like myself that he would be a good choice, but I've never seen or heard anything to confirm that there was more than that.

Anyway, it worked out. :)

I agree with everybody else that Alford would be a great choice for IU.

dkbaseball
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
I think that IU will get rid of Sampson, probably in the next few days. They will likely go the "interim head coach" route until the season is done simply because anything else is really difficult. REgardless, when they do hire a new head coach, I would be very surprised if it is not Steve Alford.

Alford is currently at New Mexico and he is doing a nice job there in his first season (they are 20-6 and seem to have a decent shot at an NCAA bid). He did a nice job at Iowa before that, though his final season there was a poor one and his teams seemed to flame out in the NCAA tourney a bit too often. Still, he has shown he can win in the Big Ten (look at how good Iowa was 2 years ago) and would probably do even better at IU vs. Iowa because of the inherrent advantages of coaching at a legandary program like IU.

People in Big Ten country were very underwhelmed by the job Alford did at Iowa, and I believe he was feeling some heat there. Not seen as a particularly good recruiter, for one thing. As an example, Wisconsin's leading scorer in a win against Indiana at Bloomington recently, Jason Bohannon, is the son of former Iowa quarterback, Gordy Bohannon, and grew up near Iowa City, but Alford couldn't keep him at home.

Did I just dream it, or did this post originally mention Scott Skiles as a possibility at Indiana? As an IU alum (law school) that's got me really intrigued. Most people don't realize that Skiles, though not an IU alum, is as big a part of Indiana basketball lore as Alford. He single-handedly led his high school team from a little farming community over a vastly superior team from Gary in the state championship game in 1982, the year before Alford's much more highly regarded New Castle team flamed out in the semi-states. Skiles and Plymouth High were at least as good a story as Milan High in 1954 -- the team that inspired "Hoosiers" -- but I guess Milan already had a copyright on the plucky, over-achieving small school story.

I'm sure Skiles would have gone to IU if given a chance, but Michigan State was the only big time school that offered, even after what he did in the state tournament. Knight and many others missed out on a world-class competitor, I suppose because he always looked like an out-of-shape Div. II linebacker. He doesn't have any college coaching experience, but he certainly brings a lot of the qualities of Knight that Hoosier fans cherish. Every bit as much piss and vinegar.

Another candidate surely will be Randy Wittman, a former IU player well thought of in the alum community, who coached the Minn. Timberwolves for a few years. I'd be very surprised if Alford has this job locked up at this point.

rthomas
02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I think Indiana should bring in Isiah Thomas as coach. He's doing such a great job in NY and I would like to see Indiana do just as well as the Knicks. I'll bet he can really recruit.

rockymtn devil
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
People in Big Ten country were very underwhelmed by the job Alford did at Iowa, and I believe he was feeling some heat there. Not seen as a particularly good recruiter, for one thing. As an example, Wisconsin's leading scorer in a win against Indiana at Bloomington recently, Jason Bohannon, is the son of former Iowa quarterback, Gordy Bohannon, and grew up near Iowa City, but Alford couldn't keep him at home.

Did I just dream it, or did this post originally mention Scott Skiles as a possibility at Indiana? As an IU alum (law school) that's got me really intrigued. Most people don't realize that Skiles, though not an IU alum, is as big a part of Indiana basketball lore as Alford. He single-handedly led his high school team from a little farming community over a vastly superior team from Gary in the state championship game in 1982, the year before Alford's much more highly regarded New Castle team flamed out in the semi-states. Skiles and Plymouth High were at least as good a story as Milan High in 1954 -- the team that inspired "Hoosiers" -- but I guess Milan already had a copyright on the plucky, over-achieving small school story.

I'm sure Skiles would have gone to IU if given a chance, but Michigan State was the only big time school that offered, even after what he did in the state tournament. Knight and many others missed out on a world-class competitor, I suppose because he always looked like an out-of-shape Div. II linebacker. He doesn't have any college coaching experience, but he certainly brings a lot of the qualities of Knight that Hoosier fans cherish. Every bit as much piss and vinegar.

Another candidate surely will be Randy Wittman, a former IU player well thought of in the alum community, who coached the Minn. Timberwolves for a few years. I'd be very surprised if Alford has this job locked up at this point.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press has said that Skiles is the guy if Sampson is fired (which the writer assumes will happen this week). Not sure how much inside info the StPPP has on IU basketball, but that's its story.

DukieBoy
02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
i no this sounds way out there but wat bout bringin bob knight back at the end of the yr...knight would get his break and would be eager to come back i'm sure

Franzez
02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I always thought Dawkins would take the Temple job??????

But I do feel that he must be sticking around only if Coach K is going to retire in the next 3 years

Indoor66
02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I always thought Dawkins would take the Temple job??????

But I do feel that he must be sticking around only if Coach K is going to retire in the next 3 years

What is the basis of those opinions - that K will retire in the next 3 years and that is the only reason that Johnny is sticking around?

Franzez
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
What is the basis of those opinions - that K will retire in the next 3 years and that is the only reason that Johnny is sticking around?
Well,I thought Temple because Dawkins played most of his career with Philadelphia 76ers:confused:

And I thought he is sticking around because he must know something about Coach K's plans that we dont know.Hes had plenty of opportunities to be a HC but he chooses to stay,hes been here for 8 or 9 years now:confused:

ugadevil
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Well,I thought Temple because Dawkins played most of his career with Philadelphia 76ers:confused:

And I thought he is sticking around because he must know something about Coach K's plans that we dont know.Hes had plenty of opportunities to be a HC but he chooses to stay,hes been here for 8 or 9 years now:confused:

I've missed these posts.;)

Why is there such an assumption about Dawkins and his coaching plans? Sure, JD could be staying because he's planning to take the head coaching job after K retires. But, maybe JD stayed over the past few years because he really likes where he's at. Maybe he didn't want to leave because he doesn't want to move his family?

jjasper0729
02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
i'm close to stabbing myself for making this comparison, but guthridge had many opportunities for head coach while sitting next to smith.. but chose to reamain in the copilot seat while others moved on (roy).

maybe he's comfortable and that's fine with me. i wouldn't mind having comfort like that in my profession/job

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Instead of trying to figure out why Johnny and the other assistants have stayed as long as they have, I prefer to enjoy the wonderful continuity they provide the Duke program. There's something to be said for the idea of living in the moment.