PDA

View Full Version : What does Duke's incoming class look like?

civileng68
02-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Okay, so I fell off the earth for a while. What does the incoming class look like in comparison for next year?

Also, do you think this year's performance will hurt recruiting at all?

Lastly, is Carolina losing anyone to the draft (underclassman)?

DukeBlood
02-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Duke has 3 recruits coming in for this year

Kyle Singler- Ranked in the Top-5 by recruiting sites. Said to be the most complete player in his class, 6'8 Forward who can handle the ball, Shoot the 3and post up.

Taylor King- Ranked in the Top-30 by recruiting sites. A 6'7 SF that is one of the most dangerious shooters in this class. Very strong rebounder but may take some time to develope some inside game.

Nolan Smith- A 6'3 Combo guard. Plays for one of the best High School programs(Oak Hill) and like Singler is a very complete player. Nice shooting touch with fairly decent range. Above average defender. PROBABLY wont see alot of time next year due to Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and Pocious.

Also, Duke is trying to land Pattrick Patterson for this year as well. He reminds me of Shelden Williams(from what i've seen). Strong inside game, and just a beast defensively. Ranked in the Top-10 on recruiting sites.

You speak as if this years been a losing season for Duke. I dont believe it will because they still have over 20 wins with a few games left.

Carolina- From what i have read/heard. Wright, Hans, Lawson are all players who could leave. But dont be surprised if they all stay.

Bob Green
02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
We have a great class coming. The three recruits who have committed are all McDonald's All Americans: Kyle Singler, Taylor King, & Nolan Smith. We are still pursuing Patrick Patterson who is also a MCDAA.

Kyle Singler is the highest ranked recruit. He attends South Medford High School and is a multi-talented 6'8" forward. A good website to find info on his high school performance is:

http://www.oregonlive.com

Taylor King attends Mater Dei High School. He is a 6'8" forward who is comfortable in the post of defense but is a wing player offensively. You can follow him at:

http://www.latimes.com or http://www.ocregister.com

Nolan Smith attends Oak Hill Academy. His high school team has already finished their season. He is a 6'3" combo guard.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

civileng68
02-27-2007, 05:31 PM
You speak as if this years been a losing season for Duke.

I knew that was coming, and deservedly so. I don't for a second consider this a losing season. In fact I think THIS team has overachieved as a whole, though I think some guys have underachieved.

I simply mean from a recruiting standpoint, this team is not a typical Duke team.

Skitzle
02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
put simply, our incoming class looks like beautiful.

Is the Duke pursuing Jai Lucas rumor just a rumor?

civileng68
02-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I'd love to see Duke land Patterson. I think there's a need for a defensive beast on D down low. I love the style of Shelden and if we can get a guy with that style we'll have a really powerful team.

by the way, do you guys think Zoubek has a bright future with Duke down in the center spot?

DukeBlood
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Didnt mean to jump on you. I know its not a "Typical" Duke team. But they are a fun team to watch after you get done pulling out your hair :)

Duke is recruiting Jai Lucas, Not like Pattrick Patterson though. They want another PG(not a combo guard) but the chances of Lucas coming are Slim to None(From what i have read).

Eventually I think Zoubek will be a very solid player. He plays with passion, and outside of his traveling problems is a very efficient scorer. Needs to learn to stay out foul trouble and a little better on the D side.

Karl Beem
02-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I'd love to see Duke land Patterson. I think there's a need for a defensive beast on D down low. I love the style of Shelden and if we can get a guy with that style we'll have a really powerful team.

by the way, do you guys think Zoubek has a bright future with Duke down in the center spot?

Something about McBobs' defensive presence that bothers you? We need offense down low.

Lord Ash
02-27-2007, 06:30 PM
A lot of fellow Duke fans think that, regardless of if we keep Josh or lose him and get Patterson, next year's team might be a title contender. The three incoming guys are GOOD. Singler looks slow and unimpressive, but then you realize that he just scores and scores and SCORES. Inside, outside; his moves are slow but very smart. King is said to have an AMAZINGLY quick release and almost limitless range; a 6'8 guy who can REALLY shoot. Also, he said that he has focused his ENTIRE senior year strictly on playing defense, as he knows that is what the Duke coaches want. I've seen some clips of Smith, and he seems able to score; plus, he is SICKENINGLY athletic, able to throw it down in fabulous style.

If you want, do some searches on youtube, you'll find some various clips and montages.

smklin
02-27-2007, 06:39 PM
yea, im definitely excited about zoubek. the travelling is definitely a problem, but that's something that he can work on and phase out. it's been a while since duke has had a pure center who was worth fearing (i consider brand and williams more of power fowards). it seems like every time he gets the ball in the post and doesnt travel, he scores. as he gets stronger i think he'll be a real force.

riverside6
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Smith and Singler Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etarE-rRNMg)

Hard not to like what you see here.

Clipsfan
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
As have been mentioned, we have yet another wave of studs entering next year. As much as I'm salivating at the thought of next year's team, I'm still going to enjoy this one a ton.

UNC may have to focus on this year, although the word is that they're most likely only losing Wright. Projected as a possible third pick behind the super 2of Oden and Durant, it will probably be hard for him to stay at Carolina. I don't think that Hansborough is likely to go, as supposedly his game won't translate to the pros as well as he'd like. Having said that, we've said the same thing about guys like Sean May, and been wrong (maybe only I thought that he'd struggle some in the pros as a chubby power forward). May was better suited to the pro offensive game, though.

heyman25
02-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Zoubek is a project. He has not scored in about 12 games and he is 7'1. He makes the same mistakes every game. He will improve I hope, but I have seen nothing to show me we can count on him to do well in the post position. Against non conference teams he is alright, but in the ACC he is a pushover. He can't even get position to grab a defensive board half the time he is in.

Dukebacker
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Next year:D

3 studs coming in. We will probably have the deepest bench in the nation along with one of the most talented teams. It will be interesting to see who plays a lot.

PG-Will obvious be Paulus. Injuries slowed him this year. The guy is starting to get on a roll. Smith and Scheyer could get a lot of time here too especially if Greg gets off to a slow start.
SG-Scheyer? Henderson? Maybe Nels here and King at 3? It will be interesting to see what happens here.
SF-Nels is more then likely to start here and Scheyer and Henderson will battle it out for the SG position. King will play a lot. As well as Singler
PF-Lance Thomas-He will be better with experience and ready to go. Will split a lot of time with McClure.
Other Forward-McRoberts(hopefully) Hopefully he will stay once he sees Durant Oden and Wright fo to the NBA and Zoub will back up.

Just my take...hopefully thats what happens. Next year will definately be a contender year especially if McRobs comes back.

GO DUKE

Duke15304
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Singler just looks like a scorer on the videos from rivals, Kings shot is a really fast release like it was said before, it will be tough to stop b/c his height, im glad to hear he has worked on his D, i didnt watch any vids of Nolan, but he looked good in the game that was on espn

civileng68
02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Something about McBobs' defensive presence that bothers you? We need offense down low.

Absolutely not. I think McRoberts shock blocking ability is great and I think he moves well defensively. However, what I'm talking about is a guy who can go down low and bang with guys who are massive and meaty. I think McRoberts handles big men well but, I think my point is, how nice would it be to have a solid center (though Zoubek could be that since I love his D) who can bang along with a PF who can step in and create a nearly unpenetrable baseline?

It wasn't a knock on McBob as much as it was a salivation of what could be with a stud big man down low.

Lord Ash
02-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Singler will start almost immediately next year from EVERYTHING I have heard and read.

hurleyfor3
02-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Also, Duke is trying to land Pattrick Patterson for this year as well. He reminds me of Shelden Williams(from what i've seen).

He reminds me of Shelden in that everyone is going to mess up his name. I mean, all those T's.

Bob Green
02-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Taylor King scored 32 points as Mater Dei defeated Compton in the CIF Southern Sectionals semi-finals.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/schedules/details.php?rosterID=23306&seasonID=8&gameID=32826

The ability to follow the high school careers of top prospects is a definite advantage of the internet age.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

watzone
02-28-2007, 09:52 AM
http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/DukeBasketballRecruiting

mr. synellinden
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't know what other people think who have watched the youtube clip of the South Medford - Oak Hill game, but I've watched it about ten teams and each time I get completely giddy about how good Singler is. You certainly can't tell about defense but he can score every way imaginable - outside shooting, drive and finish, post moves ... this guy is legit and I predict he will be something special. We have had a lot of big name recruits over the years but I haven't been this excited about an incoming freshman since probably Grant Hill. Not saying I think he is a better recruit or will be a better player than Battier, Brand, Boozer, JWill, Redick or Shelden, just that from what I've seen and heard, I can't wait to see him in a Duke uniform. I think he will start from day one and be a big time scorer.

civileng68
02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't know what other people think who have watched the youtube clip of the South Medford - Oak Hill game, but I've watched it about ten teams and each time I get completely giddy about how good Singler is. You certainly can't tell about defense but he can score every way imaginable - outside shooting, drive and finish, post moves ... this guy is legit and I predict he will be something special. We have had a lot of big name recruits over the years but I haven't been this excited about an incoming freshman since probably Grant Hill. Not saying I think he is a better recruit or will be a better player than Battier, Brand, Boozer, JWill, Redick or Shelden, just that from what I've seen and heard, I can't wait to see him in a Duke uniform. I think he will start from day one and be a big time scorer.

What's the link to that game? Now you're getting me giddy!

DukeBlood
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=etarE-rRNMg

I think someone already posted it, but here it is again.

Kyle Singler does know how to score, I've heard and read (from fans) he will be the starter and a star from day one. I say give him some time, I think he will be a great player, but with all the forwards next year.. Give him some time :)

Lance Thomas
David McClure
Taylor King
Brian Zoubek
Josh McRoberts?
Kyle Singler

All of these guys will be fighting for 2 spots(If McRoberts stays). I believe Coach K will run some 3 guard lineup. Of course he will go big from time to time, but generally speaking.

crote
02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Taylor King scored 32 points as Mater Dei defeated Compton in the CIF Southern Sectionals semi-finals.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/schedules/details.php?rosterID=23306&seasonID=8&gameID=32826

The ability to follow the high school careers of top prospects is a definite advantage of the internet age.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Nice stats on that page. If you click on King's name, you can pull up his gamelogs for the entire season. I had heard good things about his rebounding, but the reality is far better than what I expected from I guy who I previously thought of as primarily a perimeter player. It looks like he has more double digit rebounding games than single digit ones, including outings where he pulled in 16, 17, and 18 boards. Several games with multiple blocks, too. Nice.

Based on these stats, it looks like he possesses a much more complete game than I remember him having when he played in Durham last summer.

kramerbr
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I know Paulus isn't going anywhere for awhile, but with all of this recruiting talk do we have any pg prospects beyond the rumor of Lucas?

Has anyone seen the junior recruit Monroe play? I heard he is a big Duke fan.

Bob Green
02-28-2007, 03:44 PM
I know Paulus isn't going anywhere for awhile, but with all of this recruiting talk do we have any pg prospects beyond the rumor of Lucas?

Has anyone seen the junior recruit Monroe play? I heard he is a big Duke fan.

We are recruiting Larry Drew, Jr. who is currently a Junior at William H. Taft High School in Woodland Hills, CA.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

mus074
02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
that was tight! :)

mcdukie
02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Smith is an excellent athlete and player. He, not Scheyer, should be the back up to Paulus being as though he can break the defense down off of the dribble and create. I am very excited about the incoming freshman on a whole.

JBDuke
03-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Next year:D

3 studs coming in. We will probably have the deepest bench in the nation along with one of the most talented teams. It will be interesting to see who plays a lot.

PG-Will obvious be Paulus. Injuries slowed him this year. The guy is starting to get on a roll. Smith and Scheyer could get a lot of time here too especially if Greg gets off to a slow start.
SG-Scheyer? Henderson? Maybe Nels here and King at 3? It will be interesting to see what happens here.
SF-Nels is more then likely to start here and Scheyer and Henderson will battle it out for the SG position. King will play a lot. As well as Singler
PF-Lance Thomas-He will be better with experience and ready to go. Will split a lot of time with McClure.
Other Forward-McRoberts(hopefully) Hopefully he will stay once he sees Durant Oden and Wright fo to the NBA and Zoub will back up.

Just my take...hopefully thats what happens. Next year will definately be a contender year especially if McRobs comes back.

GO DUKE

From the couple of games I've seen him play, I think Singler is going to make a push early on to be in the starting lineup. I think he's the most likely to start next year of the incoming freshmen. He could go in the frontcourt next to another big (Josh, if he's back, or Lance or Brian or Patrick) or he could play at a SF-like position. Outside more, he'd struggle to guard smaller, quicker guys, but it could happen.

SoCalDukeFan
03-01-2007, 02:48 PM
is not to get ahead of myself and start thinking about next year too soon.

After being surprised by Avery, Maggette, Dunleavy, Randolph, Burgess and I am sure a few others I can not think of off-hand, I will wait before trying to figure out next year's rotation.

SoCal

Duke4Life
03-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Where is Jennings and Legion going?

I like the lefty guard!

MailTribune
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey folks, thought you'd be interested in seeing some footage of Kyle Singler and his teammates at South Medford High School's first playoff game Feb. 28 against Aloha in Medford, Oregon. We've got two clips at mailtribune.com, the Web site for Singler's hometown newspaper (http://www.mailtribune.com/special/multimedia/) -- the short one focuses on two nice plays by Singler, starting with a steal and a slam dunk.

For more stuff on Singler, check this special section on our Web site. (http://www.mailtribune.com/special/singler/singler.htm)

Enjoy!

Scott