PDA

View Full Version : Scheyer on ESPN Chicago Radio

NW Indiana Dukie
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Jon was on this morning with the hosts Silvy and Waddle. It was a pretty standard interview---asking the basic questions: How is playing at DUKE and playing for Coach K? They asked who was the best opponent they have played this year? He said UNC, Maryland, and Pitt.

The best question they had was: How is it being the 6th man since he started basically his whole life? Jon's answer(paraphrasing): He admitted at the beginning of the season it was very difficult to adjust. It took him sometime to get adjusted to his new role. The coaches and players have helped him adjust and now he is completely comfortable.

This was the first time I have seen Jon asked this question and was pleased with his honesty.

SilkyJ
02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Jon was on this morning with the hosts Silvy and Waddle. It was a pretty standard interview---asking the basic questions: How is playing at DUKE and playing for Coach K? They asked who was the best opponent they have played this year? He said UNC, Maryland, and Pitt.

The best question they had was: How is it being the 6th man since he started basically his whole life? Jon's answer(paraphrasing): He admitted at the beginning of the season it was very difficult to adjust. It took him sometime to get adjusted to his new role. The coaches and players have helped him adjust and now he is completely comfortable.

This was the first time I have seen Jon asked this question and was pleased with his honesty.

Jon has actually been asked this question a couple of times and has responded quite similarly.

Earlier on in the year though, he wasn't quite as forthcoming as he never admitted that it was difficult at first. He just kinda gave the company line that he's here to work hard and is fine with the role, but then a month or two into the season he became a little more honest.

Ignatius07
02-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, Jon seems to have this response down pat by this point. It seems like he is asked this just about every media session or post-game.

NW Indiana Dukie
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
being in the midwest, I don't get a lot of the pre or post game interviews. It was the first time I had heard Jon address this situation.

Sorry if the original post was a repeat.:)

-jk
02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
being in the midwest, I don't get a lot of the pre or post game interviews. It was the first time I had heard Jon address this situation.

Well, you need XM radio! You can listen to Bob, et al, before and after all the games, televised or not!

-jk

Classof06
02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Come to think of it, I don't even think I've ever heard Scheyer speak, period. Anyway, of course it took some adjustment on Scheyer's part but he handled it as well as you possibly could. It may sound cheesy but I think it speaks to the kinds of kids Duke brings into the program and it also speaks to the 180 this team has done in terms of chemistry.

I knew Krzyzewski would have a decision to make because even though Scheyer started last year, Gerald was injured for the majority of last year's preseason. With Gerald coming in healthy, something clearly had to give. But even in the preseason, I always maintained that Scheyer coming off the bench would be better for this team and it's pretty hard to argue with the result. Despite coming off the bench, I don't think anyone can deny Scheyer's significance to this team. Duke is finally deep and that depth starts with #30.

dukelifer
02-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Apparently that is how K refers to him.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, you need XM radio! You can listen to Bob, et al, before and after all the games, televised or not!

-jk

XM broadcasts the home team's radio for ACC conference games, so for away games you wouldn't get to hear Bob and crew. Non conference games might be different and you probably would get the Duke broadcast, as it is the ACC that has the contract with XM.

They do the same thing for MLB - you typically hear the home team's broadcast. A few times last season I got to hear the Yankees' broadcast even for away games, but was pleasantly surprised when it happened.