PDA

View Full Version : FSU on probation

Lavabe
02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I wonder how FSU's probation (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/02/14/fsu.probation.ap/index.html) will affect things throughout the ACC. It's not just one sport; it's throughout their athletic department. A sad development for sure, but I'm glad they are putting themselves through probation... whatever that is.

Cheers,
Lavabe

blueprofessor
02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I wonder how FSU's probation (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/02/14/fsu.probation.ap/index.html) will affect things throughout the ACC. It's not just one sport; it's throughout their athletic department. A sad development for sure, but I'm glad they are putting themselves through probation... whatever that is.

Cheers,
Lavabe

...was picked by the boosters with a mission to win football games. This incident of cheating has been addressed ,of course, because the academic tutors have been dismissed and the recently departed Dave Hart (ACC football expansion idea guy) is being cited in private conversations as being at fault for poor oversight.Right!Best regards.:D :D

BD80
02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
It is double secret probation!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Why is it that the more we learn about the cheating in the athletic department at FSU, the more the institution resembles something out of the movie "Animal House"?

Stray Gator
02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
...was picked by the boosters with a mission to win football games. This incident of cheating has been addressed ,of course, because the academic tutors have been dismissed and the recently departed Dave Hart (ACC football expansion idea guy) is being cited in private conversations as being at fault for poor oversight.Right!Best regards.:D :D

Hey blueprof, I know you're familiar with what I'll generously describe as the "uniquely symbiotic relationship" between FSU's administration and football program because you've had the opportunity for many years to observe the situation firsthand. At most colleges, the President might take visitors on a tour of the new library wing or chemistry lab, and might introduce them to the Nobel laureate who recently joined the faculty, to impress them with the administration's commitment to promote academic excellence. Is it true that at FSU, the first stop on T.K.'s tour is his personal bathroom, where he takes special pride in showing off his famous orange-and-blue toilet to impress visitors with the fact that there's at least one place on the planet where he can occupy a position of prominence over the Gators? According to some faculty and alums who grumble about his ridiculously inflated salary and his shameless indifference to academics, that orange-and-blue "throne" is where T.K. does his finest work... :D

77devil
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey blueprof, I know you're familiar with what I'll generously describe as the "uniquely symbiotic relationship" between FSU's administration and football program because you've had the opportunity for many years to observe the situation firsthand. At most colleges, the President might take visitors on a tour of the new library wing or chemistry lab, and might introduce them to the Nobel laureate who recently joined the faculty, to impress them with the administration's commitment to promote academic excellence. Is it true that at FSU, the first stop on T.K.'s tour is his personal bathroom, where he takes special pride in showing off his famous orange-and-blue toilet to impress visitors with the fact that there's at least one place on the planet where he can occupy a position of prominence over the Gators? According to some faculty and alums who grumble about his ridiculously inflated salary and his shameless indifference to academics, that orange-and-blue "throne" is where T.K. does his finest work... :D

Classic.

SilkyJ
02-15-2008, 04:09 PM

please let this story be true.

blueprofessor
02-15-2008, 04:18 PM

:p My dear old friend Stray----I have not been accorded the "tour" , but your description would not surprise me. As you have known for 20 years,I am devoted to the academic side. I like to watch some of the teams (what else can one do,here?) and can relate that there is and has been a fair degree of inferiority regarding U of F.I would prefer more attention to the students' academic education.This freshet of scandal is a little irksome as it is not the function of a university to have a president who considers the school a life-support system for a football team.Your eloquent and humorous post does palliate some of the pain I feel.So, thanks!
Best regards.:)

Stray Gator
02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
:p My dear old friend Stray----I have not been accorded the "tour" , but your description would not surprise me. As you have known for 20 years,I am devoted to the academic side. I like to watch some of the teams (what else can one do,here?) and can relate that there is and has been a fair degree of inferiority regarding U of F.I would prefer more attention to the students' academic education.This freshet of scandal is a little irksome as it is not the function of a university to have a president who considers the school a life-support system for a football team.Your eloquent and humorous post does palliate some of the pain I feel.So, thanks!
Best regards.:)

BlueProf,

In my opinion, the most valuable benefit FSU students get for their money is the advocacy of a handful of dedicated professors like you, whose impeccable academic background (Duke, Harvard, Oxford) and lifelong enthusiasm for college sports provide the kind of balanced perspective that FSU administrators ought to embrace if they truly aspire to compete with UF and other outstanding public universities. What good does it do to hire a former football player and politician as university president to promote fundraising if all he wants to do with the money is build a jock palace and pay millions to a coach who doesn't even know his players' names, but continues to soil his own "legend" and steer his program into the abyss of mediocrity in a selfish quest to outlast Joe Paterno? :confused:

4decadedukie
02-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Why is it that the more we learn about the cheating in the athletic department at FSU, the more the institution resembles something out of the movie "Animal House"?

I rather doubt that it is just the "athletic department." I truly do not intend to offend any DBR members who have Florida State affiliations; however, it is clear that FSU's overall institutional values are sadly misguided (within the context of performance expectations for a purportedly major university). Where are the trustees, the mature and successful alumni, the faculty, the senior officials (other than the President, already discussed in this thread), and the media, public and political oversight? If FSU want to align itself with undistinguished instititions principally known for athletic behavioral excesses and for criminal/pseudo-criminal behavior, the real losers will be its decent students, alumni, and faculty whose stature and reputations will be reduced by an aggregate, widely-held perception that FSU is not a credible university.

mgtr
02-17-2008, 10:20 AM
I rather doubt that it is just the "athletic department." I truly do not intend to offend any DBR members who have Florida State affiliations; however, it is clear that FSU's overall institutional values are sadly misguided (within the context of performance expectations for a purportedly major university). Where are the trustees, the mature and successful alumni, the faculty, the senior officials (other than the President, already discussed in this thread), and the media, public and political oversight? If FSU want to align itself with undistinguished instititions principally known for athletic behavioral excesses and for criminal/pseudo-criminal behavior, the real losers will be its decent students, alumni, and faculty whose stature and reputations will be reduced by an aggregate, widely-held perception that FSU is not a credible university.

Wow!! If ever the phrase "stinging indictment" applied, this must be the place.

GatorBait15
02-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I love when FSU is on probation! they deserve it!:p

msdukie
02-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm offended by the fact that I have F$U affiliations.

GatorBait15
02-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't know if you guys have heard or care but LSU qb Ryan Perrilloux will be benched tell further notice.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't know if you guys have heard or care but LSU qb Ryan Perrilloux will be benched tell further notice.
Please elaborate.