PDA

View Full Version : Langdon Buzzer Beater

Bob Green
02-15-2008, 08:58 AM
CSKA Moscow stormed back from a 12 point deficit, with 2 minutes remaining in the game, to a 72-71 victory as Trajan Langdon made a 3-pointer at the buzzer (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/23473/arti.html).

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
CSKA Moscow stormed back from a 12 point deficit, with 2 minutes remaining in the game, to a 72-71 victory as Trajan Langdon made a 3-pointer at the buzzer (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/23473/arti.html).

That is pretty neat. Wonder if this is Trajan's first buzzer beater.
Also wonder (other than Laettner, ofcourse) how many Duke players have made buzzer beaters in college or in the pros. - I remember Boozer almost did against Indiana in the NCAA tournament.

elvis14
02-15-2008, 10:17 AM
That is pretty neat. Wonder if this is Trajan's first buzzer beater.
Also wonder (other than Laettner, ofcourse) how many Duke players have made buzzer beaters in college or in the pros. - I remember Boozer almost did against Indiana in the NCAA tournament.

Laettner made a buzzer beater? :D

mpc
02-15-2008, 10:19 AM
The most recent buzzer beater I can think of is Dockery's shot against VT.

There was also Duhon's full court sprint for a layup against UNC a couple years ago. (I think that was pretty close to a buzzer beater, there may have been a fraction of a second left)

yancem
02-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm still surprised that there isn't a roster spot in the NBA for Langdon. I certainly don't think that we would be a starter but his last season in Cleveland he played solid D managed the point respectably as a back up and shot a very high 3pt percentage. There's not a team out there that couldn't use his shooting? I don't get it.

IStillHateJimBain
02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
How about a buzzer-beating block? The only game I've seen in the Dean Dome was a Duke-UNC game in the late 80s when Ferry, Abdelnaby, Snyder, et al, were on the team. Duke ran off to a huge early lead -- something like 31-15 -- then came the inevitable rally. Carolina never led but got the ball back down one for the final possession. With seconds ticking away, Jeff Lebo got an open look from the left corner, the kind of shot you just knew was going in. Somehow, Robert Brickey closed out from all the way under the basket, leaped and got his finger tips on the ball after Lebo released it. The ball went straight up in the air as the buzzer sounded.

hurleyfor3
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
We had a thread on this on the old boards. Not sure whether old board stuff still exists anywhere.

ISHJB, the game you refer to was in '88.

CDu
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM

There was also Duhon's full court sprint for a layup against UNC a couple years ago. (I think that was pretty close to a buzzer beater, there may have been a fraction of a second left)

Duhon also hit a buzzer beater at Wake Forest his freshman year. I suspect that the list of buzzer beaters is pretty long.

EarlJam
02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm still surprised that there isn't a roster spot in the NBA for Langdon. I certainly don't think that we would be a starter but his last season in Cleveland he played solid D managed the point respectably as a back up and shot a very high 3pt percentage. There's not a team out there that couldn't use his shooting? I don't get it.

Good point and yes, it's pretty amazing to me too that an NBA team hasn't called on him, with Langdon being such a great, pure shooter.

Perhaps it's just a matter of time. He's one of my favorites.

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM

There were about four seconds left. Carolina had enough time to run down and get a three off just outside the line. It missed.

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM

Right, I'm surprised I missed that.

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Duhon also hit a buzzer beater at Wake Forest his freshman year. I suspect that the list of buzzer beaters is pretty long.

I actually remember that shot (sort of floater, right ?). I remember Battier's praise of Duhon after that shot, as well.

Though this wasn't a buzzer beater, I remember Duhon's three against FSU at Cameron, his senior year, came pretty close to the end of the game - that shot clearly sealed our victory.

It's amazing how many clutch shots Duhon has made towards the near end of the game.

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
How about a buzzer-beating block? The only game I've seen in the Dean Dome was a Duke-UNC game in the late 80s when Ferry, Abdelnaby, Snyder, et al, were on the team. Duke ran off to a huge early lead -- something like 31-15 -- then came the inevitable rally. Carolina never led but got the ball back down one for the final possession. With seconds ticking away, Jeff Lebo got an open look from the left corner, the kind of shot you just knew was going in. Somehow, Robert Brickey closed out from all the way under the basket, leaped and got his finger tips on the ball after Lebo released it. The ball went straight up in the air as the buzzer sounded.

Sounds pretty neat.

Johnboy
02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
From the timeline (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021208aad.html):

February 16, 1986
Johnny Dawkins blocks David Rivers' potential game-winning shot to give No. 2-ranked Duke a 75-74 victory over No. 14 Notre Dame in Cameron. The Sunday afternoon victory caps a remarkable 24-hour performance by Dawkins and the Devils. On Saturday night, Duke travels to N.C. State and edges the No. 17-ranked Wolfpack, 72-70, on a pair of free throws by Dawkins. The next afternoon, the Blue Devils battle the Fighting Irish in front of a national television audience in a game that isn't decided until Duke's senior guard swats away Rivers' running one-hander at the buzzer.

Oh, and Dave McClure (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1146&CID=634147)beat Clemson on a buzzer beater layup on a pass from Scheyer last season.

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Dave McClure [/URL]beat Clemson on a buzzer beater layup on a pass from Scheyer last season.

Yup, of course.

Haven't heard of the Dawkins play but sounds great, though.

Tom B.
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Ricky Price made a buzzer-beater to win a game at Maryland in 1996 -- in fact, it was a three-pointer. That and Dockery's heave against Va. Tech two seasons ago are the only buzzer-beating, game-winning three-pointers by Duke players that I can recall.

I do remember that Dunleavy hit a long three-pointer (more of a heave from about 40 feet) to beat the halftime buzzer in a game several years ago. I can't remember the opponent, but I do remember that we were destroying them -- I think Dunleavy's buzzer beater made the halftime score something like 55-18 instead of 52-18. (It might've been that game against Michigan in which we ran out to a 34-2 lead.)

throatybeard
02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
The old thread devolved into a tiresome debate about what constitutes a buzzer-beater.

Johnboy
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Yup, of course.

Haven't heard of the Dawkins play but sounds great, though.

That was one of the greatest regular-season weekends in Duke basketball history, IMO. We beat #17 ranked State in Raleigh on Saturday night by two Dawkins free throws, then edge #14 Notre Dame in Cameron on Dawkins' block of David Rivers, one of the top guards in the nation, on Sunday afternoon.

Acymetric
02-15-2008, 11:26 AM
The old thread devolved into a tiresome debate about what constitutes a buzzer-beater.

That seems self explanatory...

lmb
02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Nick Horvath had a buzzer beater in his freshman year. I think it was against DePaul.

EarlJam
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Nick Horvath had a buzzer beater in his freshman year. I think it was against DePaul.

Yes. I remember this clearly. Nick was beyond the top of the key and gracefully lofted the ball towards the basket. Just as the ball was about to leave his fingertips, he smiled, looked at his defender and yelled, "Bank!"

The ball then prophetically kissed off the glass and swooshed into the net, giving Duke the victory.

Said Horvath after the game, "Yeah, the three-point bank shot. That's how I roll. When you're feeling it your just feeling it, you know?"

What a great shot in Duke history.

-EJ

SilkyJ
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Good point and yes, it's pretty amazing to me too that an NBA team hasn't called on him, with Langdon being such a great, pure shooter.

Perhaps it's just a matter of time. He's one of my favorites.

-EarlJam

It may be a matter of money. Langdon is probably one of the highest paid foreign players in the world. I think I remember an article a year or two back saying he makes 7 figs (NBA league minimum, which is about what he would command, is around 500k, iirc)

mapei
02-15-2008, 01:18 PM
The buzzer-beating block I remember was Battier vs. Juan Dixon in the '01 JWill comeback game.

Speaking of that team, don't forget Nate's putback.

Devilsfan
02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
It came a little late. Wish it were in the last game of 1999.

whereinthehellami
02-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Ricky Price made a buzzer-beater to win a game at Maryland in 1996 -- in fact, it was a three-pointer.

Price hit that shot right in front of me (box seats). Great elevation on the shot. It was such a close call that the officials had to review it before declaring Duke the victors. The place was dead quiet for the few minutes it took to make the right call and then the fans just erupted...Duke got off the floor pretty quick!

SilkyJ
02-15-2008, 02:47 PM

and that gave him cart blanche to shoot 3s for the rest of his years...ugh

The buzzer-beating block I remember was Battier vs. Juan Dixon in the '01 JWill comeback game.

Speaking of that team, don't forget Nate's putback.

don't forget shelden's against BC a couple years back

HumboldtDevil
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I think we're using the term buzzer-beater a little too liberally with some of these examples.

Duhon's winner at Carolina in 2004 left enough time for UNC to come back down and miss an open three, so there was plenty of time left when Duhon scored.

Also, Duhon's three against FSU came with at least 30 seconds left, but I do believe it was late in the shot clock.

I can't remember how much was left after Horvath's shot, though. I do remember being pretty sure DePaul was gonna win the game towards the end there.

Not trying to take away from these big game-winning shots, just thought I'd add that they weren't exactly at the buzzer.

Ricky Price's has always been a favorite and Duhon's against Wake was great. Price's was payback for Joe Smith's tip-in in Cameron.

Duhon also made the meaningless (except in Vegas) shot at the end of the last UConn debacle.

juise
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM

I think we're using the term buzzer-beater a little too liberally with some of these examples.

History never repeats itself around here. :p

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Ricky Price made a buzzer-beater to win a game at Maryland in 1996 -- in fact, it was a three-pointer. That and Dockery's heave against Va. Tech two seasons ago are the only buzzer-beating, game-winning three-pointers by Duke players that I can recall.

I do remember that Dunleavy hit a long three-pointer (more of a heave from about 40 feet) to beat the halftime buzzer in a game several years ago. I can't remember the opponent, but I do remember that we were destroying them -- I think Dunleavy's buzzer beater made the halftime score something like 55-18 instead of 52-18. (It might've been that game against Michigan in which we ran out to a 34-2 lead.)

My guess would be the game against Wake at Cameron during Mike's junior year, though I don't recall the score or the fact that it was a heave.

If you're talking half-time buzzer-beaters (or close to being called buzzer beaters), here are a few more that come to mind:

Shelden hitting a three against Georgetown at Georgetown during Duhon's senior year. I remember the way Duhon was chuckling after that shot.

Ewing hit a long three pointer, I want to say against Davidson at Charlotte his senior year - I think.

On a more legit buzzer-beater note, there is of course Jeff Capel's three against Carolina.

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 04:39 PM

I had no idea. I was just curious and hence asked the question.

calltheobvious
02-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Price hit that shot right in front of me (box seats). Great elevation on the shot. It was such a close call that the officials had to review it before declaring Duke the victors. The place was dead quiet for the few minutes it took to make the right call and then the fans just erupted...Duke got off the floor pretty quick!

I think you may be mixing up games. Price's 3-pt shot against Maryland in 1996 gave Duke a 2-pt win, so the arc would have been irrelavent.

Acymetric
02-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Does anyone else remember a game where Duke got a buzzer beater 3 to win by one, and as the players left (and fans rushed the court) replays showed that it should have counted as 2, but either reviews weren't done at this time or they didn't think to do one at the game, and we got the win instead of OT.

dukediv2013
02-15-2008, 06:21 PM

I was at that game... I was about 12. It was awesome. I was sitting behind the goal that he made it in. Wow... the memories of CIS!

GO DUKE!

sagegrouse
02-15-2008, 06:31 PM

We were pounding Larry Shyatt's Clemson team at Cameron in 2000. With two seconds left in the first half, Duke had a 52-17 lead and the ball at the endline. Dunleavy was waving his arms at midcourt; JWill (I think) threw him the ball; and he banked it in for a 55-17 lead.

After the game, Shyatt said: "Well, we won the second half."

Captain Carrawell said: "The game was over at halftime."

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
02-15-2008, 06:42 PM
These are shots at the buzzer to win a game we would otherwise have lost:

1. The shot: Laettner v. KY, 1992

2. Laettner v. UConn, 1990, regional finals

3. Price v. UMd at CP, 1996

4. Horvath v. DePaul at Cameron in OT in Dec. 1999(?). (We needed two to tie and go to 2OT;. Freshman Horvath was an emergency substitute after someone fouled out; he hit a three from the top of the key.)

5. Dockery v. VT in 2006. (Rates lower because, "Why were we losing to Va Tech at home?")

sagegrouse

chrishoke
02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
That was one of the greatest regular-season weekends in Duke basketball history, IMO. We beat #17 ranked State in Raleigh on Saturday night by two Dawkins free throws, then edge #14 Notre Dame in Cameron on Dawkins' block of David Rivers, one of the top guards in the nation, on Sunday afternoon.

Yes, my favorite Duke weekend ever. I was very fortunate to have tickets to both games - Saturday night in a packed, sreamingly loud Reynolds Coliseum - Sunday afternoon in Cameron on National TV. B oth games down to the wire. After the 2nd game, I was like a limp noodle

StiggyMata
02-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes, my favorite Duke weekend ever. I was very fortunate to have tickets to both games - Saturday night in a packed, sreamingly loud Reynolds Coliseum - Sunday afternoon in Cameron on National TV. B oth games down to the wire. After the 2nd game, I was like a limp noodle

Had the best buzzer beater, in his senior day game against UNC, with less than a second on the clock, Kenny Dennard inbounded to Gene Banks at the top of the key who put a shot over some Tar Heel to put the game in overtime. It was Coach K's first win over UNC. 66-65 in OT.

Son of Jarhead
02-16-2008, 12:44 AM
That shot by Gene was over Sam Perkins (& his freakishly long arms)... the crazies stormed the court. Somewhere around here I have a poster of the mobbed court.

Coming out of a timeout with 2 seconds left, Duke has the ball out of bounds under the Carolina basket at the north end of Cameron. Duke throws the ball to half court & immediately calls another timeout with only one second left. Then comes the Kenny to Gene pass & Gene's high-arching 22-footer... swish!

wisteria
02-16-2008, 02:00 AM
sigh... how many great moments that I have missed..

Reisen
02-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Pretty sure Horvath's 3 against Depaul was indeed a buzzer beater. I was at that game.

I also think Duhon's floater against Wake was a true buzzer beater in that it ended the game right there.

arbee
02-16-2008, 01:36 PM
That shot by Gene was over Sam Perkins (& his freakishly long arms)... the crazies stormed the court. Somewhere around here I have a poster of the mobbed court.

Coming out of a timeout with 2 seconds left, Duke has the ball out of bounds under the Carolina basket at the north end of Cameron. Duke throws the ball to half court & immediately calls another timeout with only one second left. Then comes the Kenny to Gene pass & Gene's high-arching 22-footer... swish!

I was at that wonderful game, Gene's senior night, sitting pretty much right behind the Duke bench.

I think it was Dean who called the timeout at 2 seconds (after they had scored and gone up by 2), which was a big mistake. Duke had only one timeout left. Coming out of that timeout, a Duke player informed a referee to watch for the Duke timeout immediately after the inbound pass, to make sure the referee saw the timeout and stopped play immediately. The inbound pass from under the Carolina basket was to half-court, and the Duke timeout was called.

Then comes that amazing Gene shot, that tied the game and put it into overtime. Technically, this shot would not be a buzzer beater, as it tied the score. The game was won in the overtime.

RelativeWays
02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
On a more legit buzzer-beater note, there is of course Jeff Capel's three against Carolina.

I can't believe it took the middle of the second page of this thread before that shot was mentioned. Sure we didn't win the game, but that shot was fantastic.

Tom B.
02-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Pretty sure Horvath's 3 against Depaul was indeed a buzzer beater. I was at that game.

I was there, too -- and while Horvath's shot ended up being the game-winner, it wasn't a true buzzer-beater. There were still a few seconds left and DePaul had one more possession before the game ended.

Incidentally, I think that's the game where the "Our House" cheer was born.

devildeac
02-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Laettner made a buzzer beater? :D

Actually, he didn't(he made TWO):D

merry
02-16-2008, 07:10 PM
5. Dockery v. VT in 2006. (Rates lower because, "Why were we losing to Va Tech at home?")

Maybe we shouldn't have been losing to VT at home (we shouldn't have been losing that DePaul-Horvath game either) but the Dockery shot still rates high for being so unlikely. I've never heard a crowd go from silent to a roar so fast. We were hugging and high fiving total strangers. Nearly half the people I know who go to games later admitted they had left their seats and were in the concourse trying to beat the crowds out of there because they "knew" the game was over and Duke couldn't win. I'll never forget that moment of insanity right after we realized the shot had gone in.

Was McClure vs Clemson last season a buzzer-beater? Or maybe that's already been mentioned...

banneheim
02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Boozer's tip in against Indiana would rank up there had he not been fouled. Refs really swallowed their whistles on that one.

Acymetric
02-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Maybe we shouldn't have been losing to VT at home (we shouldn't have been losing that DePaul-Horvath game either) but the Dockery shot still rates high for being so unlikely. I've never heard a crowd go from silent to a roar so fast. We were hugging and high fiving total strangers. Nearly half the people I know who go to games later admitted they had left their seats and were in the concourse trying to beat the crowds out of there because they "knew" the game was over and Duke couldn't win. I'll never forget that moment of insanity right after we realized the shot had gone in.

Was McClure vs Clemson last season a buzzer-beater? Or maybe that's already been mentioned...

Exactly! I had the luck to be there for that game, and I've never high fived so many people in my life! My dad has tickets, so I go to a lot of games, but that's my most memorable Cameron moment, and the most amazing thing I've ever seen live. Even before that I'd always liked Dockery, but after that he was my favorite player on the team!