PDA

View Full Version : Jack Handey on the Players in Last Night's Duke/MD Game

Mudge
02-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Kyle Singler:
How good is this kid? As good as fresh-baked bread... is there anything this kid can't do, that a 6'8" NBA forward is supposed to be able to do? I think he is already on par with everything Battier could do as a senior, except defense (specifically help defense), and I think he has a possibility of catching up in that category too, over the next several years. This kid is Christian Laettner-lite.

DeMarcus Nelson:
Name me the last time Nelson got a defensive rebound and passed the ball to a teammate from the defensive end, rather than dribbling the ball past halfcourt himself; on a Nelson defensive rebound, there is no such thing as a fastbreak outlet pass-- he either takes the ball the length of the floor on a one-man fastbreak, or he dribbles it up himself, then grudgingly passes off to a teammate on the offensive end. Since he's not our point guard, why does he insist on doing this? Also, Nelson still makes up his mind way to early that he is going to the hoop, come hell or high water, and then charges into crowds of bigger, stronger, higher jumping opponents, to force up bad shots, far too often. I'd much prefer to see Singler, Henderson, Scheyer, Paulus, and Smith in the game together, to run the stall late in the game (and not only because of Nelson's free throw shooting)-- they pass the ball around like a jazz quintet, always making the extra pass to find the open man-- when Nelson is in there, it's like he's the only one who doesn't feel the rhythm; instead, he seems to want to put his head down, and bull over the opposition.

Jon Scheyer:
I love how this guy is a 6'5" forward/guard who never dunks the ball on breakaway layups-- it's like he's some kind of throwback to black canvas Chuck Taylor All-Stars, when they weren't allowed to dunk the ball in college. You know he can do it, but he sticks out more by playing it cool and not doing it, than he ever would by slamming it. Which brings me to...

Taylor King:
How does a 6'6" player with an open path to the rim (and standing one step from the basket) fail to elevate enough to get over the rim and dunk the ball, instead getting his shot blocked as he attempts to shoot a layup? My suspicion is that somebody's not really in shape, and consequently can't do the things that he ought to be able to do... I get reports from people in close proximity to King on campus that he isn't exactly observing a healthy dietary regimen in his extracurricular activities; I'd have to say that he does not look as though he is in peak physical condition, and I can't imagine Coach K (who's got to have better sources than I do) could be too happy with a player who appears to lack some commitment toward getting the most out of his physical abilities.

Bambale Osby:
Anyone noticed that he shares initials and an African-origin name with Barack Obama? Can't you just see Young BO driving one of his 1950's collector Cadillac convertibles around with the top down, with his enormous hair bobbing in the wind, with Sen. BO riding in the back, like Pres. Kennedy (whom Sen. BO is so often compared to, for his charismatic effect on audiences)?

JBDuke
02-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Kyle Singler: ... I think he is already on par with everything Battier could do as a senior, except defense (specifically help defense), and I think he has a possibility of catching up in that category too, over the next several years. This kid is Christian Laettner-lite.

As good as his defense was, I think Battier's most critical contribution to the team was his leadership (esp. in 99-00 and 00-01). Kyle shows some promise as a team leader, at least from what I can see during the games and read or hear about afterwards, but he has a long way to go to "be on par" with Shane here. And while he has the potential to be a great defender, I think he's got a ways to go to catch Shane there, too. I'm not quite sure Kyle's got as good a shot as Shane showed his senior year, either, but he's not far behind...

DeMarcus Nelson:
Name me the last time Nelson got a defensive rebound and passed the ball to a teammate from the defensive end, rather than dribbling the ball past halfcourt himself; on a Nelson defensive rebound, there is no such thing as a fastbreak outlet pass-- he either takes the ball the length of the floor on a one-man fastbreak, or he dribbles it up himself, then grudgingly passes off to a teammate on the offensive end. Since he's not our point guard, why does he insist on doing this? Also, Nelson still makes up his mind way to early that he is going to the hoop, come hell or high water, and then charges into crowds of bigger, stronger, higher jumping opponents, to force up bad shots, far too often. I'd much prefer to see Singler, Henderson, Scheyer, Paulus, and Smith in the game together, to run the stall late in the game (and not only because of Nelson's free throw shooting)-- they pass the ball around like a jazz quintet, always making the extra pass to find the open man-- when Nelson is in there, it's like he's the only one who doesn't feel the rhythm; instead, he seems to want to put his head down, and bull over the opposition.

In previous years, I might have agreed with some of what you say here, but this year, Markie has done a much better job of driving to the basket when it's a good idea and passing out when it's not. I think he regressed a little in the most recent Maryland game, but the Terps were also heavily concentrating their D on Markie, after he torched them in College Park. And as for not passing, I think you're way off the mark - I've seen him pass plenty of times - either to get the break started or to get it to one of the PGs. Markie's averaging 3.2 assists per game - second only to Greg on the team.

Taylor King:
How does a 6'6" player with an open path to the rim (and standing one step from the basket) fail to elevate enough to get over the rim and dunk the ball, instead getting his shot blocked as he attempts to shoot a layup? My suspicion is that somebody's not really in shape, and consequently can't do the things that he ought to be able to do... I get reports from people in close proximity to King on campus that he isn't exactly observing a healthy dietary regimen in his extracurricular activities; I'd have to say that he does not look as though he is in peak physical condition, and I can't imagine Coach K (who's got to have better sources than I do) could be too happy with a player who appears to lack some commitment toward getting the most out of his physical abilities.

Give him some time. One of the comments I heard from Taylor in the preseason is that he admired how much JJ changed his body/fitness while at Duke, and Taylor seems to know he needs to do the same. Let's see what he can do with a full summer of a college conditioning program...

Jim3k
02-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Kyle Singler:
How good is this kid? As good as fresh-baked bread... is there anything this kid can't do, that a 6'8" NBA forward is supposed to be able to do? I think he is already on par with everything Battier could do as a senior, except defense (specifically help defense), and I think he has a possibility of catching up in that category too, over the next several years. This kid is Christian Laettner-lite.

DeMarcus Nelson:

Jon Scheyer:
I love how this guy is a 6'5" forward/guard who never dunks the ball on breakaway layups-- it's like he's some kind of throwback to black canvas Chuck Taylor All-Stars, when they weren't allowed to dunk the ball in college. You know he can do it, but he sticks out more by playing it cool and not doing it, than he ever would by slamming it. Which brings me to...

Taylor King:

Bambale Osby:
Anyone noticed that he shares initials and an African-origin name with Barack Obama? Can't you just see Young BO driving one of his 1950's collector Cadillac convertibles around with the top down, with his enormous hair bobbing in the wind, with Sen. BO riding in the back, like Pres. Kennedy (whom Sen. BO is so often compared to, for his charismatic effect on audiences)?

Hey Mudge, is this you writing or are you quoting Handey? If you are quoting Handey, can you provide a link?

mgtr
02-15-2008, 03:19 AM
I agree about Osby. I have read his bio, and he is very lucky to be where he is. He has his head screwed on straight. I hope he makes some NBA money so that he can exercise his dream to open a Cadillac parts store. Seems like a real good kid, who has seen it all.

4decadedukie
02-15-2008, 04:54 AM
I strongly endorse JB's comments re Singler and Battier. Battier (my personal favorite Duke player) provided a level of leadership and intensive defense that Singler -- quite naturally -- has not yet demonstrated. With this said, Singler is probably a better freshman than Battier and my have more athletic potential (his critical leadership potential will be better evaluated after another season or two).

Both are terrific players, destined to help Duke immeasurably, and certain to have at least solid pro careers. I admire and respect both individuals, however, Shane's leadership (consider the National Championship game against Arizona, as one example) was superb.

SlimSlowSlider
02-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Who the hell is Jack Handey?

JBDuke
02-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Who the hell is Jack Handey?

The only Jack Handy I know of is the guy from Saturday Night Live who did the skit called "Deep Thoughts".

GopherBlue
02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
"Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions", and if you got a different "impression", so what, can't we all be brothers?"

"Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind."

"To me, it's always a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?"
you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

:D Jack Handey

RelativeWays
02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I kind of take exception to the Dmarc comment. If there was one thing we didn't have last year was a player who wanted to score and assert his will on the other team. Nelson isn't doing anything K isn't asking him to. He's the senior and the captain, if he thinks he can penetrate and score, he's earned the right and we're a better team for it. Sometimes it leads to bad shots, but there's no player on any level of basketball who is immune to that.

pamtar
02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
A little extra on Osby. More reason to like him.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/29/terps-bambale-osby-invites-tar-heel-fan-back-to-his-ghetto/

OldPhiKap
02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
A little extra on Handey. More reason to like him, too:

http://www.quotedb.com/authors/jack-handey

yancem
02-15-2008, 09:43 AM
A little extra on Osby. More reason to like him.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/29/terps-bambale-osby-invites-tar-heel-fan-back-to-his-ghetto/

I think that Osby is by far my favorite non Duke player in the ACC. He actually ranks fairly well with the Duke players too.

SilkyJ
02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Kyle Singler:
Taylor King:

Yes. Taylor likes to party.

dkbaseball
02-15-2008, 02:04 PM

In lobbying for more playing time for him, I've kind of lost sight of what is pretty plain: He appears to have no muscle tone at all. That's pretty hard to achieve, just given the mandatory parts of the Duke basketball conditioning program. You've got to really pound a lot of brewskis. And his energy level on court does seem down a bit in recent games. Maybe he thinks he's on the J.J. timetable, and has two years to party before transforming his body.

Classof06
02-15-2008, 04:14 PM

When I went back to Durham last Saturday for the BC game, I went out with a couple of buddies that night and saw many of the players out. Let's just say that Taylor likes to enjoy himself on the weekends ;)