PDA

View Full Version : Early All-ACC Teams..thoughts?

Turncole22
02-14-2008, 03:38 PM
First Team
Hansbrough - NC
Rice - BC
Singletary - VA
Nelson - DU
Singler - DU

Second Team
Vasquez - MD
Ellington - NC
Gist - MD
McClinton - MIA
Lawson - NC

Third Team
Rivers - CLEM
Hickson - NCST
Douglas - FSU
Vassallo - VT
Osby - MD

Honorable Mention
Morrow - GT
Grant - NCST
Johnson - WF
Paulus - DU
Rich - FSU

Player of the Year - Hansbrough - NC
Rookie of the Year - Singler - DU
Coach of the Year Coach K - DU

wolfpackdevil
02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
yea, overall this is a good post

I do think that Vasquez of Maryland would be in the First team over Singler.

I love Kyle, but Vasquez has almost had 4 triple-doubles and has carried the Terps all year, so Vasquez gets the 1st team for me

sagegrouse
02-14-2008, 06:05 PM
First Team
Hansbrough, NC
Singletary, V
Rice, BC
Vasquez, MD
Vassallo, VT

Second Team
Gist, MD
Ellington, NC
McClinton, MI
Lawson, NC
Rivers, C

Third Team
Nelson, D
Singler, D
Paulus, D
Scheyer, D
Henderson, D

sagegrouse

gw67
02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
turncole22 - If Singler continues his great play, your first team may be a good prediction. As of today, I would put Singler on the 2nd team and move up Gist. He plays the same position as Singler and leads him in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots. If he had not been hurt, Lawson would be 1st team but he has already missed too many ACC games to be considered IMO.

gw67

jimsumner
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Not bad. The only head-scratcher is Osby on third team. Not likely, not likely at all.

feldspar
02-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Not bad. The only head-scratcher is Osby on third team. Not likely, not likely at all.

Jim, can you comment on the line of reasoning that goes into All-ACC (or all-anything, for that matter) voting? Does it make a difference if a player is on a woeful team (a la Singletary)?

Thanks.

gw67
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
jim - Who votes for All ACC? Based on what one of the Post reporters said last year, none of the Post writers who cover college teams are allowed to vote for the league All Star teams.

gw67

Turncole22
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Osby is 20th in scoring, 2nd in rebounding, and 2nd in blocked shots during conference play. I would say that he is a definite candidate for third team, but I'd give you possible honorable mention.

jimsumner
02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
The Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association votes for the All-ACC team. I would be very surprised if no one from the Washington Post is a member but don't know that for a fact.

Trying to balance team and individual success is always a delicate balancing act. I don't think voters will penalize Singletary for being on a poor UVA team because he is doing everything humanely possible to right that sinking ship; he's just not getting much help. Players from lousy teams make first-team All-ACC all the time. But POYs usually come from contenders.

Team success does factor in. Under turncole's orginal post, a Duke team that appears to be heading for first place would have three members on the three teams, while a third or fourth-place Maryland team would have an equal number. That's one reason why that doesn't seem to me to be a plausible scenario. There are some spoils that go with team success.

Plus, I simply don't think Osby is one of the ACC's 15 best players. I freely confess that I didn't think Osby would ever be an ACC player of consequence. The fact that he is even in the discussion is a tribute to his hard work and the efforts of Maryland's coaching staff.

Let me throw something out. To the best of my knowledge, this isn't under active consideration. But if a nine-team ACC generated three All-ACC teams, why wouldn't a 12-team ACC generate four All-ACC teams? Or does that dilute it.

Indoor66
02-14-2008, 07:37 PM
The Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association votes for the All-ACC team. I would be very surprised if no one from the Washington Post is a member but don't know that for a fact.

Trying to balance team and individual success is always a delicate balancing act. I don't think voters will penalize Singletary for being on a poor UVA team because he is doing everything humanely possible to right that sinking ship; he's just not getting much help. Players from lousy teams make first-team All-ACC all the time. But POYs usually come from contenders.

Team success does factor in. Under turncole's orginal post, a Duke team that appears to be heading for first place would have three members on the three teams, while a third or fourth-place Maryland team would have an equal number. That's one reason why that doesn't seem to me to be a plausible scenario. There are some spoils that go with team success.

Plus, I simply don't think Osby is one of the ACC's 15 best players. I freely confess that I didn't think Osby would ever be an ACC player of consequence. The fact that he is even in the discussion is a tribute to his hard work and the efforts of Maryland's coaching staff.

Let me throw something out. To the best of my knowledge, this isn't under active consideration. But if a nine-team ACC generated three All-ACC teams, why wouldn't a 12-team ACC generate four All-ACC teams? Or does that dilute it.

I don't see where it would dilute it. We now have honorable mentions. There would be 1st - 4th team members.

mapei
02-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Hans and Singletary are absolute first-team locks, and I'll be surprised if they aren't unanimous. I think Rice and Nelson aren't far behind, and I add Vasquez to complete my first team. Gist, Lawson and Rice make the second team. I think Kyle and Greg make either second or third.

Beyond those, I defer to those who follow the conference more closely than I do. Hans for POY and Kyle for ROY seem like solid bets, too.

Wander
02-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I've become convinced that Hansbrough, Nelson, and Lawson are the three best players in the ACC and they all need to be on the first team.

jimsumner
02-14-2008, 10:42 PM
It's really tough to evaluate Lawson right now because we don't know how long he'll be out. Assuming he returns soon with no significant loss of effectiveness, then he's definitely in the mix for first-team.

But if he stays out much longer, it becomes dicier. Remember 1977? Duke's Tate Armstrong was leading the ACC in scoring at 22.7 ppg when he broke his wrist in game 14. He missed the final 13 games and received virtually no consideration for All-ACC. That's an extreme example and I have no reason to believe that Lawson will be out anywhere near that long. But I bring it up as an example where a prolonged injury torpedoed an All-ACC run.

At this point, Hansbrough, Nelson, Rice, and Singletary are pretty close to locks for first team. IMO. That fifth spot could be interesting, however, with Lawson, Vasquez, and Gist having good claims. It is possible for a freshman to make first-team All-ACC and if Singler continues to play as well as he did against BC and Maryland, then he could join that select group.

There does seem to be historical tendency for voters to break ties in the favor of seniors, which might help Gist. But not if he keeps having nine-point games in losses.

Wander
02-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, I wasn't born in 1977, so no, I don't remember. :D

I see what you mean about the injury thing though. However, assuming he comes back soon and just as effective, I think he's established himself as the ACC's best point guard. I think he should get it before Rice and Singletary. His assist/TO ratio in ACC play is insane, he's made solid improvements in his shooting and defense, and we all know about the speed.

jimsumner
02-14-2008, 11:12 PM
For a few years in the 1970s, the ACC tried to restrict the All-ACC voting by positions, i.e. one center, two forwards, two guards. Fortunately, that didn't last long. It's just the best five players, next best five, and so forth.

And that's a good thing. Imagine if the rules allowed one to vote for only two of Nelson, Rice, Singletary, Lawson, and Vasquez for first team.

In case you're wondering, the 2004 All-ACC first team was Julius Hodge, Chris Duhon, Rashad McCants, Tim Pickett, and Justin Gray, all perimeter players.

dukie8
02-14-2008, 11:14 PM
nelson is a lock for 1st team and is pretty solid for 2nd in poy. but for hansbrough's recent explosion, he would have given hansbrough a run for his money for poy. he's the most important player and the leader of the clear cut best team in the league. that's enough for 1st team.

didn't someone recently make 1st team aa but not 1st team all conference because of an injury (maybe oden?).

juise
02-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Hans and Singletary are absolute first-team locks, and I'll be surprised if they aren't unanimous. I think Rice and Nelson aren't far behind, and I add Vasquez to complete my first team. Gist, Lawson and Rice make the second team.

I knew Tyrese was good, but that would be unprecedented. ;)