PDA

View Full Version : Dickie V's Remark. and your take?

DevilDad
02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Okay, not to throw a big wet baby blue blanket over last nights win. But what does everyone think about Dickie's remark, (That when healthy) UNC is the best in the conference. Please correct me if I did not hear him correctly.

MulletMan
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Okay, not to throw a big wet baby blue blanket over last nights win. But what does everyone think about Dickie's remark, (That when healthy) UNC is the best in the conference. Please correct me if I did not hear him correctly.

Thanks for the motivation.

grc5
02-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Yep I heard it too. Not really bothered by it. It's a tough call to make and everyone has an opinion; I can't really say I have one myself. There's only one way to find out for sure...

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 03:17 PM

I guess we'll never know. Since Frasor will be out when we play them. And Marty will be out for us.:rolleyes:

ArtVandelay
02-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Wait a second - I thought he was Dukie V?! ZOMG!

Actually, I didn't hear it, but I'd say it's probably accurate. However, it's definitely a much more debatable issue than it seemed a month or two ago. I think Duke and UNC are close enough that either are very capable of beating the other on any given night. Duke is definitely the more improved team, and UNC's defense continues to range from acceptable to atrocious.

rthomas
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
The big news is that someone actually listens to what Vitale says.

MarkD83
02-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Having Lawson back will not help the UNC big men cover Singler, Nelson or Henderson on the perimeter or driving to the basket.

Furthermore the idea that everyone will get more shots with Lawson in the game doesnot explain the 24+ shots that Ellington and Greene had. If they want to take more shots and less are taken by Hansbrough that works for me.

DevilDad
02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I know Mike Patrick brought up the dreaded "National Champs" (in reference to the Devils) phrase to Dickie who diplomatically deferred it to one of the floor commentators.

bluedev_92
02-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Pretty simple - I don't agree with him...

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
On paper, earlier in the season, it would be tough to disagree with him. But right now, the way we are playing, I am going to have to disagree.

2 weeks ago I might have even agreed with it, but frankly, we are just playing out of our minds. Kyle singler is has arrived as a big time star in the ACC and if Greg can keep shooting well....

Look, on paper a lot of teams look better than us, but we've got Coach K and apparently he knows what he's doing...frankly, I'm very surprised at well we are doing, and I'm sure most of you echo that. So yea, UNC looks better but whatever we're doing is working and I don't see how you can bet against us...

EarlJam
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Pretty simple - I don't agree with him...

I like Vitale and usually take his side on an argument or a point. But I too flat out disagree with him here. As a team, I simply think Duke is better than UNC this year.

-EJ

Im4howdy
02-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I think he is absolutely right...they are the best team this year. Unfortunately for them they don't have the master motivator/manipulator/magnifier that we do in Coach K. How many great teams did Dean have that either didn't have heart or just plain folded? I say the acorn does not fall far from the tree.

mgtr
02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I think if they played a series of 10 games, it would probably end up 5-5 or 6-4. But I really don't know which team would have the 6 -- Duke I hope. However, we don't play a 10 game series, and both teams have to play with the players they have at the time. I am definitely looking forward to the rematch in Cameron. I hope that Lawson is healthy, and that Zoubek is back up to speed. Should be a great game.
I am not a Carolina fan, but I think by tournament time, both teams will be ready to take on all comers (including Memphis). In fact, I am wondering how well Memphis will do against Tennessee -- we may learn a lot in that game.

BigTedder
02-14-2008, 04:12 PM

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, every day would be effin Christmas!

alteran
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM

On paper, in terms of raw talent, defensible comment.

So far this season, though, the whole has been a little less than the sum of its parts. Not to say they're not a very good ball club. They just haven't quite looked like the dominant team people expected based on their talent.

Plenty of time to turn that around.

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
On paper, in terms of raw talent, defensible comment.

So far this season, though, the whole has been a little less than the sum of its parts. Not to say they're not a very good ball club. They just haven't quite looked like the dominant team people expected based on their talent.

Plenty of time to turn that around.

Thanks. The way you put it sounds much better. Ive been struggling with how to verbalize my opinion on them and this is very well put.

Also, as someone said, it may come down to the coach either as a motivator or whatever. Ol Roy is a very, very good coach, one of the best in the country...fortunately for us, we get THE best coach in the country.

camion
02-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Dickie V. says a lot of things. He may be right and he may be wrong. I guess we'll just have to be satisfied with a two game lead in the ACC. That's adequate consolation IMO.

ArtVandelay
02-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I think he is absolutely right...they are the best team this year. Unfortunately for them they don't have the master motivator/manipulator/magnifier that we do in Coach K. How many great teams did Dean have that either didn't have heart or just plain folded? I say the acorn does not fall far from the tree.

Nice subtle troll work there. Unfortunately the "pyscho" part makes me a bit suspiscious...

1Devil
02-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I think he said UNC-CH had the most talent, not that they were the best team.

Perhaps a more appropriate statement would be that UNC-CH has a better mix of talent (when healthy). That is, a conventional balance of inside/outside, as opposed to our preponderance of wing players.

Anyway, it's working for us and I'm not complaining.

sagegrouse
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
The more he wants to tout UNC, the better I like it.

Moreover, it's totally ridiculous, but that's what sports reporters do -- speculate on the future. The fact is that this question ("Is UNC the best team?") will be answered definitively in the next 60 days. No repsect to vitale, but it is just meaningless hot air.

sagegrouse
't\Thirteen guests in the Rockies for the weekend'

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 05:31 PM

I heard something like that but really, I don't listen to announcers (any of them) much at all, anyways. They just have to say stuff to fill up the time and stay employed. Really, you and I know as much or more about what we're watching than any of them.

Also, have you read the article written by PlayCaller, our new poster on DBR? One point he makes is that announcers should give the referees the benefit of the doubt, because they (the referees) are usually right (I know I'm digressing so please forgive me).

Anyway, I turn the sound down with most of those guys and i started doing that a long time ago...

dth.

77devil
02-14-2008, 05:40 PM

These are the same talking heads that said MD was the hottest team in the conference. Since they spend little time actually commenting on the game at hand, they have to fill the time with idle speculation. Take their opinions with a grain of salt.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, every day would be effin Christmas!

If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

DukePA
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

You guys crack me up!!! :D :D

captmojo
02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I like Vitale, but just once, I'd like to be able to sit and watch the game without hearing ANY references to the holes, good, bad, or indifferent.

I think, were the shoe on the other hoof, hole people (Was Lothar one of the leaders of the hole people?) would also not want to hear anything about Duke during their exhibitions.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

mapei
02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
I think UMCP had, in fact, been the hottest team in the conference over the last 2-3 weeks and that, if both teams were 100% healthy, UNC might well be as good as or better than Duke. So what?

Truth
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM

What part of that statement do you find incorrect? I presume it is his assertion that a healthy UNC team is better than the current Duke squad.

Let me ask... Which team, between Duke and UNC, do you think is more likely to win the championship? I think that answer (for most people, including those in Vegas) will back-up Dickie V...

Note that I'm in no way in favor of UNC winning a championship (in fact, I'd rather cut off my pinky toe than have that happen), but they are a heavier favorite to do so than us... and therefore a "better" team by Vitale's standards...

luigi90
02-14-2008, 10:47 PM
UNC looks great on paper, but they have struggled in many games (even before Lawson was hurt) and considering they have not beaten 1 team that was ranked in the top 25 at the time they played them ( I believe) I dont think they have proven anything yet this year on the Court. I'll take Duke.

BD80
02-15-2008, 12:10 AM
As long as UNC keeps believing it, I love the statement.

I agree that UNC has not yet been able to play up to their "potential" as a team, and believe that they will not as long as they have an excuse to blame losses and close games on.

I think Duke has already exceeded what was considered to be their "potential", and I hope they keep on improving and proving the pundits wrong.

The game is played on the court, not in the minds of announcers. I always like our chances because our guys are Duke guys and they have Coach K at the helm.

4decadedukie
02-15-2008, 05:22 AM
UNC may be the most talented team in the ACC and -- when appropriately self-motivated and healthy -- potentially the best in the nation. However, their two losses and several near misses (UVa, Clemson, Georgia Tech, etc.) indicate that they do not always play to their potential (perhaps due to on- and off-court leadership and especially to tenacity). It is my opinion that, should UNC permanently correct this (these) flaw(s), they may well play in the National Championship; but, if they fail to do so, they can -- and will -- suffer additional defeats during the regular ACC season.

Classof06
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't really get mad at stuff like that. The bottom line is that we'll find out March 8th. I think UNC is the most talented team in the ACC but we'll find out who the best is.

That being said, the whole Lawson thing is a bit overplayed in my opinion. UNC wasn't playing that well before Ty got hurt. While getting Lawson back will certainly help them, Lawson wouldn't have prevented 6 different Duke players from hitting double figures. Again, we'll see what's what on 3/8.

For now, I'll take the 2-game lead :D

Clipsfan
02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't really get mad at stuff like that. The bottom line is that we'll find out March 8th. I think UNC is the most talented team in the ACC but we'll find out who the best is.

That being said, the whole Lawson thing is a bit overplayed in my opinion. UNC wasn't playing that well before Ty got hurt. While getting Lawson back will certainly help them, Lawson wouldn't have prevented 6 different Duke players from hitting double figures. Again, we'll see what's what on 3/8.

For now, I'll take the 2-game lead :D

I don't know that UNC is more talented than Duke. I realize that high school rankings have even less meaning than early season polls, but Duke does have 8 McDonald's All-Americans. That's a ton of talent. What we don't have is a low post presence. However, we're proving that we can win without one, and our guys down low are getting better every game. So, sure, TH is a bigger threat down low than anyone we have, but that doesn't mean that UNC's overall team is more talented.

dukerev
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't forget that Vitale picked Carolina to win the NC. He always sticks with his pre-season pick (or at least for as long as I can remember, he has). Of course, he's going to say that UNC is the best team. Otherwise, how could they win the title?

Classof06
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't know that UNC is more talented than Duke. I realize that high school rankings have even less meaning than early season polls, but Duke does have 8 McDonald's All-Americans. That's a ton of talent. What we don't have is a low post presence. However, we're proving that we can win without one, and our guys down low are getting better every game. So, sure, TH is a bigger threat down low than anyone we have, but that doesn't mean that UNC's overall team is more talented.

It's certainly up for debate but the fact remains that UNC was picked to finish 1st in the ACC for a reason. It's not like Duke is struggling to find talent on its roster by any stretch of the imagination and I think Duke probably would have beaten UNC with Lawson. But if you run down every ACC roster, I would have to say UNC has the most individual talent. If team talent is the sum of its parts, then I'd have to say UNC is the most talented team in the conference.

By no means does that mean they're the best team in the conference. The ACC standings tell us who that is :)

calltheobvious
02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Don't forget that Vitale picked Carolina to win the NC. He always sticks with his pre-season pick (or at least for as long as I can remember, he has). Of course, he's going to say that UNC is the best team. Otherwise, how could they win the title?

Bingo. Our prediction culture has gotten completely ridiculous. We have come to accept the fact that people "stick with their predictions" in the face overwhelming evidence that they were wrong, in hopes of being able to crow at the end if they turn out to be right.

But guess what? An accurate prediction can still be a stupid prediction. Similarly, if Duke were to go on and win the national championship, it wouldn't mean that Vitale was silly to pick UNC rather than Duke in the pre-season.

But since Vitale disagrees with me on predictions in general, he feels like he's somehow less than if he looks up midseason and says something that is at odds with his prediction. I thought the point of gathering information over time was to allow you to constantly sharpen your outlook on the world. Vitale seems to gather information only so he can check how well it squares with what he thought was going to happen.

Surfsideron
02-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Go back to November when he made UNC his pick for NC. Who could argue with that then? We knew our kids were young and talented but none of us could have predicted they would be doing this fantastic!

But now that they are, some of us are taking umbrage with Vitale's statement. So what? I'm sure Dickie bleeds Duke blue (his grandkids were in the stands wearing Duke jerseys) and for him to make that statement probably hurt him as much to say it as it hurt us to hear it.

CDu
02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I like Vitale, but just once, I'd like to be able to sit and watch the game without hearing ANY references to the holes, good, bad, or indifferent.

I think, were the shoe on the other hoof, hole people (Was Lothar one of the leaders of the hole people?) would also not want to hear anything about Duke during their exhibitions.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Well, considering that Vitale has gotten the nickname "Dukie V" from UNC fans because of his penchant for talking about Duke in non-Duke games (including UNC games), I think that's been proven. The shoe has, quite frequently, been on the other foot. And they (UNC fans) definitely hate it too.