PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite CURRENT Duke player?

ArtVandelay
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Since this year's team has been so much fun, I figured it would be good to start a poll just for fun. I don't think I've seen a poll/discussion about this subject - it's mostly been about former players.

I'm looking for who your favorite player is, not who the best/most valuable is. I don't want this to be a discussion about the strengths/weaknesses of individual players' games. I just want to hear what player they LIKE the best, for whatever reason it may be, stupid or not.

I'll start. My favorite current player is G. It's based on a purely aesthetic appreciation of his game - it's just so beautiful to watch. His movements are increedibly fluid, and he makes getting his head above the rim look easy. If you look up "fast-twitch muscle" in the dictionary, you'd see a pic of G next to it. Dude could be a world-class high-jumper. Lucky for him, basketball is more lucrative. So there you go. Who's your favorite Dukie?

pamtar
02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
MARTY - cause he needs the love!

MulletMan
02-14-2008, 02:14 PM
MARTY - cause he needs the love!

If you feel that way, then you should vote for him.

Me, I'm taking Nolan. I love this team and they are so much fun to watch, but I'm rollin' Nolan right now because he's such a lock down defender and the future looks so bright!

GO TO WORK!

diesel
02-14-2008, 02:18 PM
My fave is the team as a whole and I'm not going to participate in this poll. What I respond to is team play and that's what impresses me in this year's Blue Devil vintage. I don't think I've felt as strongly about any other Duke team in the 44 years (too many ) I've been a fan.

pamtar
02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
If you feel that way, then you should vote for him.

There was no poll available when I posted.

mr. synellinden
02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Singler ... because he's iron. And because the only player I was more excited about as an incoming freshman was Grant Hill, and he has lived up to the expectations.

mapei
02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
So far, mine is the only vote for Jon. I agree that it's hard to find a favorite on such a balanced team but, if I need to pick one, he's my choice. Kyle would be my choice for *best* player and Greg or DM for mid-season MVP. But there's something about Jon's alert style that I really enjoy watching.

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm going with Demarcus. I'm partial to guys that stay all four years. Also, he's really worked hard to overcome injuries and he's really stepped up this season.

Jaymf7
02-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I say Paulus. No current player has taken more heat, nor shown more heart. Greg has been criticized at great length, but both at the end of last year and throughout this season he has repeatedly stepped up when we needed him. Fortunately, this year others are joining him.

While Nelson and Singler have been tremendously valuable and fun to watch this year (as has everyone else), I get the sense that EVERYONE wants to show Greg up. he is tested as much as anyone and frequently comes out ahead with gritty toughness and that sweet (and growing quicker) J.

EarlJam
02-14-2008, 02:29 PM
So far, mine is the only vote for Jon. I agree that it's hard to find a favorite on such a balanced team but, if I need to pick one, he's my choice. Kyle would be my choice for *best* player and Greg or DM for mid-season MVP. But there's something about Jon's alert style that I really enjoy watching.

Agreed. I voted Singler because he intrigues me the most. I'm interested to see "what he'll do next." Along those same lines is Henderson.

But Jon. He's my favorite in many ways. I'm facinated by how smart he plays. Even when he's not lighting up the scoreboard he's doing a ton of other things that makes the team as a whole better. He's just......solid.

-EJ

NW Indiana Dukie
02-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I voted for Taylor. He has shown some flashes this season and has been disappointing at times. The thing I like the most is he is always positive no matter his or the teams situation. If he is not going good, he is the first one off the bench during timeouts to encourage his teammates. I love his excitement and team first attitude!:D

TheTrain
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I am a HUGE Smith fan......I went on record with family and friends saying that when all is said and done, he will be the most complete guard to have played for Duke since Dawkins. I love his defense. He is a fearless warrior taking the ball to the basket and he is solid ballhandler. Players respond to his leadership. He was the only underclassman captain of Oak Hill's basketball program. I view him as a "collage" of the finer traits of Battier, Williams and Amaker. Mark my words, we will win a national title when he is the starting PG...not a scintilla of doubt in my mind. I have not been this sure of a player's potential since I saw a 14 yo Allen Iverson coming off the bench for the Boo Williams AAU all-star team in the 80s.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
My fave is the team as a whole and I'm not going to participate in this poll. What I respond to is team play and that's what impresses me in this year's Blue Devil vintage. I don't think I've felt as strongly about any other Duke team in the 44 years (too many ) I've been a fan.

Put me down for this as well. I cannot remember a group that exeplifies TEAM like this group does, or at least not in many a year. I like them BECAUSE they all buy into the team concept so thoroughly and they all bring different strengths.

It's about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I voted for Taylor. He has shown some flashes this season and has been disappointing at times. The thing I like the most is he is always positive no matter his or the teams situation. If he is not going good, he is the first one off the bench during timeouts to encourage his teammates. I love his excitement and team first attitude!:D

I'll second this sentiment. When I first saw Taylor I was worried that he'd bring a laid back, "too cool for school" attitude. Maybe it was the backward ballcap or the Biff Tannen look, but I didn't expect a guy who is always so enthused for his teammates. Jon deservedly gets a ton of credit for accepting a new role, but Taylor can spend an entire game on the bench and still have a big smile and hearty cheer for his teammates. I love his attitude, and his gunslinger's mentality will pay dividends down the road.

All that said, my vote went to Lance. He's also had an incredible attitude, and I adopted him early on as my next Dockery: a defensive dynamo that sacrifices his game and his body for the team. It has been really gratifying to watch Lance go from a minor disappointment (as a player, never as a person) to the most improved guy on the team. The way he battled Hansblabla throughout the UNC game and still came out with some key blocks and surprisingly good post moves announced his arrival and he's never looked back.

Of course, if there was a "team" option, I'd vote for that, and every guy on the team would be high on my list in most seasons. This is a REALLY special team that has reinvigorated my passion for college basketball in a major way.

grc5
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Gotta go with DMarc.

As much as I'd love to go with the more "entertaining" players who provide more "OMG did he just do that" moments, (e.g. TK's 3s from half court, Hendo's dunks, Kyle Singler being Iron) I have to pick the guy who does the most to help us win.

Nelson's a shut-down defender, our best pound-for-pound rebounder, and the motor that makes the offense go. He plays with a quiet mean streak that I love; he doesn't let anything or anyone get bewteen him and the basket. That toughness is going to pay off huge in March.

Summie444
02-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Kyle because he seems to be having such a great time while out there playing. Often he can be caught with a smile on his face.

camion
02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
TEAM. I like em all.

I like how the guys play really well together and there are five our six that can be the leading scorer or MOTM in any particular game.

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Nolan Smith baby!

dth.

mgtr
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I was really torn. It is hard to separate favorite from best. I ended up voting for Jon, second choice Greg. There are really an amazing number of good choices -- 8 Mickey D's. My word, how can you rule some of these out? And they all seem to be straight arrow, good guys. Maybe Coach K ought to be on the ballot. Can I vote again?

Kilby
02-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Henderson - Best Player and Favorite
Singler - Most Important
Nelson - Best Leader
Paulus - Most clutch on the spot up three
Thomas - Most Improved of late

elvis14
02-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I voted for Gerald mostly because there was no "Team" choice. Every single player on this team has something about them that I admire. Be it great play, defense, toughness, leadership, potential, being a good teammate, etc.. I chose Gerald because of the highlight reel plays and well....he broke Hansblahblood's nose :D

wumhenry
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I say Paulus. No current player has taken more heat, nor shown more heart. Greg has been criticized at great length, but both at the end of last year and throughout this season he has repeatedly stepped up when we needed him.

I agree, and my impression from what I've seen through TV cameras is that Paulus is the team's de facto on-court leader.

houstondukie
02-14-2008, 05:17 PM
How can I only pick one?

I voted for Gerald because he is so much fun to watch and I see big things in his future.

Could of gone with Taylor too because no Duke player makes me laugh out loud with some of the shots he takes and makes.

I've always rooted hard for Lance and hope he continues to improve.

Magnolia888
02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
This was very hard. I would choose "team" if that were a choice.

Demarcus is our most valuable player.
Kyle is our most talented player.
Greg is the toughest, most resilient.
Gerald is the most athletic, most exciting player to watch.
Taylor is the most enthusiastic and entertaining.

But the one who gets my vote as my favorite player is Jon Scheyer. He has kept a great attitude even as he was moved from starter to "bench" player and he just seems to be "Jonny on the spot" lately, always in the right place to make the big play at the key moment. He's our secret weapon.

Son of Jarhead
02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I could not say I have a favorite... I guess I just would not want to use that word for these players & this team. I'd vote for all the players (including the walk-ons), though I'd add the coaching staff, managers, trainers, etc., & I'd change 'Crazy Towel Guy' to 'All the fans'. It's a team sport & this is a wonderful team. Picking one player would be like asking a parent to pick their favorite son or daughter. Now, if the question had been what plaer has impressed me the most on the court this year, then I would say Demarcus & Kyle (they have played like stars), but, really they have all been playing well & playing their rolls. Coach K has done a masterful job.

DukePA
02-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Paulus has been my favorite since his freshman year. I met him last year and he was so cute and sweet! He reminds me of my son who is the same height. I would adopt Greg if I could:) I'm just so happy for him that he is doing so well, especially after all the crap he has taken.

GO DUKE!!!

IUGrad03
02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Paulus has been my favorite since his freshman year. I met him last year and he was so cute and sweet! He reminds me of my son who is the same height. I would adopt Greg if I could:) I'm just so happy for him that he is doing so well, especially after all the crap he has taken.

GO DUKE!!!

LOL, cute answer. I too have been a Greg fan since his freshman year. I love his passion and intensity for the game. Great leadership and definitely the best interviewee I've heard in a long time (JJ and Battier are tied for second). Also one of the most humble players I've ever heard.

That being said, I am thrilled to see how well distributed the responses are. Great to see so many well liked players on the team (and not one major favorite).

ArtVandelay
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
The early returns are in, and right now I'm declaring this race "too close to call." The quarterback, D-Marc, On Fire Scheyer, and Kyle "need a good nickname for him" Singler are the front-runners. Will Scheyer's late surge in the polls give him the momentum to carry him to the title?

On another note, I love that Coach K's influence is so strong that even the fans have "bought into the team concept," as the talking heads like to say. It crossed my mind to put a "whole team" choice on there, but I thought that was a cop-out. I totally respect the people that say "I can't pick one because I love them all." I'm just surprised how many people really don't have a favorite player on some level, even if it's deep down in places you don't like to talk about at parties (the same place that admits that Hans-"but he plays the game so hard" is a great player). It's not a sin. You can love the team and still have a favorite.

juise
02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
As an Oregonian, I voted for Singler. For all of you who hate or refuse to choose, why don't we just make Crazy Towel Guy the default for "team?"

Ben63
02-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Got to go with TK. I love the long ball and he will chuck it up no matter what. He doesn't get discouraged and get timid. He isn't the best player but my favorite. Just look at my signature.

terrih
02-14-2008, 07:57 PM
I gotta go with Jon. Just love his game and EVERYTHING he brings. He has had some lower scoring or quieter scoring games lately, but he is the epitome of team to me. Need rebounding - he will find a way to get it done. Need a steal- there's Jon again. Oh- a great assist, no problem.

-TerriH

Bob Green
02-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I voted for DeMarcus Nelson as he is our team leader and a lockdown defender who brings toughness on the court. DeMarcus was our leading scorer and Co-MVP last season and he is well on his way to repeating those accomplishments. The team has excelled this season and Nelson's individual accomplishments are showing the youngsters the way - he is on track to be voted 1st Team All-ACC. This is a no contest for me. DeMarcus Nelson is my favorite Blue Devil though there are several players who earn honorable mention, but I will not list them as this post is for listing the favorite and everyone who reads my posts on DBR already knows who comes in second, third, etc....on my ballot.

speedevil
02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
i voted for singler because he is the player that josh mcbob wasnt. he can do everything josh did, but he's a better outside shooter, the can drive to the basket better and more importantly he finishes his layups, and his post game is way better than josh, and he hustles. yes this is a knock on mcbob, but its mainly a praise for kyle, and he's one of the main reasons duke is where they are at now.

captmojo
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
As an Oregonian, I voted for Singler. For all of you who hate or refuse to choose, why don't we just make Crazy Towel Guy the default for "team?"

I'm the lone vote for Towel Guy so far. I love his loyalty and th fact that his eligibility never will run out. Best of health in future to him and all loyal fans.

I go along with the "team" sentiment.

IUGrad03
02-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I noticed Jordan Davidson (a crowd favorite) is not on there. What gives?

Uncle Drew
02-14-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't know the first thing about starting a poll. But someone needs to do one similar to this titled "Who's Your Favorite Moderator". It would be best if you voted for your top three and votes were factored that way. And of course since this still is a democracy mods could vote for their top 3 as well. :D

mgtr
02-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Several people, including me, have suggested a "team" answer to this poll. In effect we have that: Four players are essentially tied at 22-24, one more at 16, and every single player has at least one vote. I believe this is a pretty clear expression of what Duke basketball is all about.

ArtVandelay
02-15-2008, 12:21 AM
I noticed Jordan Davidson (a crowd favorite) is not on there. What gives?

The poll function only allows you 12 spots. The Crazy Towel Guy beat Jordan in a game of one-on-one, so he got the nod for the final spot. True story.