PDA

View Full Version : I was just thinking about race relations and football...

bjornolf
02-14-2008, 01:27 PM
and I have a silly question. Blacks have now broken into the NFL as coaches and QBs, but here's my question...what about the kickers (both punters and placekickers)? Has there ever been a black kicker or punter in the NFL? Has there ever been one at a major D-I program that had a shot at the NFL? We will NOT have racial equality until we have a black kicker, dangit! ;)

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Reggie Roby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Roby

duke74
02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
and I have a silly question. Blacks have now broken into the NFL as coaches and QBs, but here's my question...what about the kickers (both punters and placekickers)? Has there ever been a black kicker or punter in the NFL? Has there ever been one at a major D-I program that had a shot at the NFL? We will NOT have racial equality until we have a black kicker, dangit! ;)

Reggie Roby (Dolphins). 3 time Pro Bowl, 7 time All Pro punter, All 1980s team. (Although I assume/hope your post was not a serious one)

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Roby

bjornolf
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
how could I forget RR? He played for my Redskins for a few years. MAN he had a leg. The problem was that he was constantly outkicking the coverage, despite the fact that he got at least 5.0 seconds hangtime on every kick. Sometimes I thought they went so far cause he kicked 'em into the stratosphere! ;)

As for the seriousness, no I was mostly joking. I was trying to point out that for so long, people complained about racial equality at the coach and QB positions (and rightly so) and now the NFL has several of each with various levels of success (just like their white counterparts), but nobody really cares about the kickers. Maybe there aren't many black men who can kick that well and still maintain the lack of athleticism necessary to prevent them from excelling at another position? Call it an onion moment. ;)

duke74
02-15-2008, 12:40 PM
how could I forget RR? He played for my Redskins for a few years. MAN he had a leg. The problem was that he was constantly outkicking the coverage, despite the fact that he got at least 5.0 seconds hangtime on every kick. Sometimes I thought they went so far cause he kicked 'em into the stratosphere! ;)

As for the seriousness, no I was mostly joking. I was trying to point out that for so long, people complained about racial equality at the coach and QB positions (and rightly so) and now the NFL has several of each with various levels of success (just like their white counterparts), but nobody really cares about the kickers. Maybe there aren't many black men who can kick that well and still maintain the lack of athleticism necessary to prevent them from excelling at another position? Call it an onion moment. ;)

Point taken...BTW, maybe no one CARES about PK/P's! ;)

captmojo
02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
This is wild. What a coincidence. I was just thinking of The Three Stooges and Yahtzee. :eek: