PDA

View Full Version : Vasquez

Dukeford
02-14-2008, 12:05 AM
You know you're a true fan of the game if.......

Even though you hate Vasquez, you must also admit you love him.

Him and the Cameron Crazies were made for each other. I think they elevate each other.

willywoody
02-14-2008, 12:08 AM
definitely. he's a gamer.

dukemsu
02-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Not denying the kid can play, but he really straddles the line with his talking. Someone's going to take a swing at him at some point.

Abraxas
02-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Sure, but the Crazies won!

The Crazies got into Vasquez' head. Vasquez tried to prove them wrong and rather than getting his teamnates involved, he try to beat Duke by himself. He took too many plays for himself.

Dukeford
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Not denying the kid can play, but he really straddles the line with his talking. Someone's going to take a swing at him at some point.

As I said, him and the Crazies were made for each other.

mgtr
02-14-2008, 12:17 AM
He definitely can play. Sorry to hear that he plays for a losing team (well, at least tonight!!!!!!)

Reisen
02-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Yes and no. He had a good line, with 25, 8, and 7, but went 1 for 6 on threes, including jacking up some really ugly and poorly timed shots. At times he looked really selfish out there. The emotion is great, but when it leads to bad decisions, it can be the difference in winning or losing games...

Dukeford
02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes and no. He had a good line, with 25, 8, and 7, but went 1 for 6 on threes, including jacking up some really ugly and poorly timed shots. At times he looked really selfish out there. The emotion is great, but when it leads to bad decisions, it can be the difference in winning or losing games...

I wasn't talking so much about his stats or whether they won.
I just love to watch him interact with the Crazies. I imagine most visiting players won't even acknowledge them.

He really faced off with them last year.

mgtr
02-14-2008, 12:34 AM
If a visiting player (like Vasquez) gets involved with the Crazies, it probably workds to our advantage. Ignore the coach, listen to the Crazies (who will tell you crazy stuff, by definition!)

fan345678
02-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I might be starting to like (or, re-like) Maryland...

...or at least their basketball team.

It was really nice to see the jovial pre-game exchange between K and Gary that ESPN aired at halftime. While Gary's a bit over-the-top, I've always admired his ability to get the most out of his players and put together some outstanding teams. Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, and Lonny Baxter were very good college players, but to translate them into a title was impressive.

That Gary has built this year's team into a likely tournament team is outstanding, and although the past couple years have been rough, I'm glad there's somebody else in the conference besides K and Roy.

Above all, I appreciate Gary's willingness to build Maryland into Maryland itself, as opposed to guys like Rick Barnes and Seth Greenberg, who seemed to try to build their programs as foils to Dean and K, respectively. When Clemson played UNC, there was always the Barnes-Dean-Dean talks to Clemson players subplot. With Greenberg, the first Duke-VT meeting in Cameron set the tone (and I actually side with Greenberg on that particular case...VT fell victim to the arbitrary nature of ACC officiating there...they had been allowed to hack at will their first 4 games, and all of a sudden they started getting called for it...somewhat similar to when Duke visited WF during the Chris Paul years).

Anyway, is it ok to like Maryland's team and coach but not their fans. I've actually been doing this for a few years.

Plus, Osby will always have a place in my heart for beating UNC this year.

wisteria
02-14-2008, 12:42 AM
you know, I hold grudge against some of their fans. But this team is actually quite likable. They play tough, but also quite clean...... I actually like "the afro". He seems humble and hard-working.

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 07:44 AM

It was really nice to see the jovial pre-game exchange between K and Gary that ESPN aired at halftime. While Gary's a bit over-the-top, I've always admired his ability to get the most out of his players and put together some outstanding teams. Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, and Lonny Baxter were very good college players, but to translate them into a title was impressive.

That Gary has built this year's team into a likely tournament team is outstanding, and although the past couple years have been rough, I'm glad there's somebody else in the conference besides K and Roy.

Above all, I appreciate Gary's willingness to build Maryland into Maryland itself, as opposed to guys like Rick Barnes and Seth Greenberg, who seemed to try to build their programs as foils to Dean and K, respectively. When Clemson played UNC, there was always the Barnes-Dean-Dean talks to Clemson players subplot. With Greenberg, the first Duke-VT meeting in Cameron set the tone (and I actually side with Greenberg on that particular case...VT fell victim to the arbitrary nature of ACC officiating there...they had been allowed to hack at will their first 4 games, and all of a sudden they started getting called for it...somewhat similar to when Duke visited WF during the Chris Paul years).

Anyway, is it ok to like Maryland's team and coach but not their fans. I've actually been doing this for a few years.

It's ok to like the team; Juan Dixon was a Crazie favorite (as was Hubert Davis back in the day and yes, I'm showing my Crazie age.....with the reference to Dixon!!).

I detest Maryland's fan base, however, due to many 'instances' we'll just leave it at that.

But Sweat Gary Sweat is such a funny bug to me. When he gets upset the least little bit with the on the court players, he turns around and immediately yells at the BENCH players. 'I can't do anything about that coach' I saw one guy saying back to Gary! You gotta love Gary's passion and he is over there working so hard to stoke his team up, and then he's jawing at the bench guys at the same time! Trip!

And Greivis, oh what a portrait of a guy. He certainly let the Crazies get in his head tonight; he's also a great basketball player. So I admire his play, and who's not a fan of anyone like Bam on Maryland?

I saw a picture of him riding around in one of his favorite cars, with that over the top haircut, with a couple dudes in the back seat, and I just laughed my head off.

So yeah, I think it's cool to like players on the other team.

dth.

doctorhook
02-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Did you see the official talk to Vas. and tell him to stop taunting the crowd? I was disappointed, and wanted to see more. I was also disappointed that the Crazies did not start blowing kisses at him. Doc

gw67
02-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Vasquez took a bunch of shots but the Devils' defense was very effective in taking away the passing lanes and, frankly, Gist and Hayes weren't hitting open shots and layups. I've watched him play about 20 games this year and he grows on you. Sure he takes an ill advised shot every now and then, and he is likely to pull a Quin Snyder and throw one into the stands every game but he is a gamer who gives his all every contest. IMO, he has outplayed three of the top perimeter players in the league, Lawson, Rice and Nelson (second game only) and was outplaying Singletary until Singletary made 5 or 6 in a row with Vasquez's hand in his face. He is a very good young player and is deserving of some recognition.

gw67

weezie
02-14-2008, 08:35 AM
When, and IF, he grows up a bit, he will be a MD great, although those two last words are hard to put together. He's better yapping with his shots than with his ever active mouth.
Right now, he's the man that the Crazies love to hate, but he has to be willing to work harder and share the ball if he thinks he's got a future.

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 09:07 AM
So I admire his play, and who's not a fan of anyone like Bam on Maryland?

I saw a picture of him riding around in one of his favorite cars, with that over the top haircut, with a couple dudes in the back seat, and I just laughed my head off.

So yeah, I think it's cool to like players on the other team.

Osby is definitely my favorite ACC player this year that isn't from Duke. He hustles his butt off and has a good time playing the game. In the first half, I liked that he went up to contest Gerald's dunk but then smiled when called for the foul. Guys from FSU, Va. Tech, or B.C. would have been shocked with the official.

I also loved hearing about Osby's car interest last night. I think they said he really likes to work on old cars and they listed all the ones he has. My favorite part of it all was that he said that none of them actually work. Old Bambale the Mechanic.

BlueDevilJay
02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I totally agree with this. Osby is just fun to watch play, and seems to be a down to earth, very likeable kid, who has fun playing the game. I could do without Sweaty challenging EVERY SINGLE FREAKING CALL (obvious or not), but outside of their fans, Maryland really is kinda hard to "hate" all that much this season. Hell, even Gist doesn't get on my nerves. I did rewatch the 01 game in Industrial Park yesterday before the game, and had forgotten just how badly I hated Steve Blake, and just how much Jay Williams was my Duke hero during his 3 seasons there.

BlueDevilJay
02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
It's ok to like the team; Juan Dixon was a Crazie favorite (as was Hubert Davis back in the day and yes, I'm showing my Crazie age.....with the reference to Dixon!!).

Actually I think the Hubert Davis reference shows your age a bit more than the Dixon ref :) Dixon was there in 01 and 02, a mere 6-7 years ago. NOW if you started talking about the good ole days when you harrassed Jeff Lebo and Dennis Scott, then you'd be old :) J/K (wait...how do I remember them....nevermind! :D )

allenmurray
02-14-2008, 10:03 AM

As a graduate of Maryland I wish I could like them. I like the current team. I might like the a little more if Gary Williams went away - far, far away. I simply can't stand him and Maryland has been no fun since his arrival.

When UM made the decision to hire bob Wade after the Lefty debacle, instead of Morgan Wooten, I knew the program was done for. Everyone that followed MD knew that Wade was just a stepping stone to a) bring in some Baltimore talent as MD had never recruited well in Bal'more, and b) give them some time to bring in somebody else.

I know that GW is a MD grad, and was successful elsewhere. But I will never root for my alma mater while he is there.

MulletMan
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
1. I am disappointed... you should always hate Maryland. If we don't hate them, how will they go on? How can they possibly hate us if we don't hate them. It is what defines them. :rolleyes:

2. Re: Vasquez... in my years in Cameron I have determined there is one thing to never do, and that's let the Crazies know that you're paying attention. He walked out onto the court for pregames and immediately responded to someone in the stands. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

IStillHateJimBain
02-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Somebody who remembers this correct me if I'm wrong.
I seem to remember Maryland trips in the 1970s when Lefty Driesell was the coach. People held up pictures of the old left-hander with a gas gauge drawn on his bald dome with the needle pointing to 'E.'
I also remember Maryland had a player named Tom Roy, who I believe was about 6-9 from New York with shaggy hair. Somebody held up a sign that read, 'Tom Roy Sucks.' A few years later after Roy had graduated Maryland was back in Cameron and someone -- maybe the same person -- holds up a sign that reads, 'Tom Roy Still Sucks.'
Classic.

Methodistman
02-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I think it was kinda late in the second half and there was a ball thrown down to Osby on the baseline - we tipped it, but then Osby tipped it and it went out of bounds. Osby just started heading back up the court, knowing he had touched it, and he was almost to half court when he realized that they had called the ball out on Duke. I think what I liked about that was that he knew he touched it, and it didn't even seem to come to his mind to argue that he didn't - and he still got rewarded for it.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Anyway, is it ok to like Maryland's team and coach but not their fans.

Living in the DC area might change your tune. It's hard to separate them.

superdave
02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Greivas Vasquez reminds me of a combo of Steve Blake and Julius Hodge. He is scrappy and heady like Blake and competitive and brash like Hodge. A great competitor.

I suspect Maryland is similar to the type of team we will see come mid and late March.

shadowfax336
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
My first comment to my friend after the game was that if Vasquez played for a team I cheered for, I would absolutely love the guy...

alteran
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
2. Re: Vasquez... in my years in Cameron I have determined there is one thing to never do, and that's let the Crazies know that you're paying attention. He walked out onto the court for pregames and immediately responded to someone in the stands. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think that depends. I think a handful of players genuinely like the the antics of the crazies, and playing into it often diffuses it somewhat.

This wouldn't apply to Vasquez, who seems to be going back at them, which I agree is a mistake.

bhd28
02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
I totally agree with this. Osby is just fun to watch play, and seems to be a down to earth, very likeable kid, who has fun playing the game. I could do without Sweaty challenging EVERY SINGLE FREAKING CALL (obvious or not), but outside of their fans, Maryland really is kinda hard to "hate" all that much this season. Hell, even Gist doesn't get on my nerves. I did rewatch the 01 game in Industrial Park yesterday before the game, and had forgotten just how badly I hated Steve Blake, and just how much Jay Williams was my Duke hero during his 3 seasons there.
Ahh... Steve Blake... Every time I see him I get that song stuck in my head... "Some folk'l never eat a skunk, and then again some folk'l...."

OldPhiKap
02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
NOW if you started talking about the good ole days when you harrassed Jeff Lebo and Dennis Scott, then you'd be old :) J/K (wait...how do I remember them....nevermind! :D )

IN-HALE

EX-HALE

blazindw
02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Living in the DC area might change your tune. It's hard to separate them.

Agreed. There's a little more bounce in my step this morning because I know that when I run into a Maryland fan, they won't have anything to say about last night's game, especially when they were talking trash in the week leading up to the game.

TheTrain
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM

You must be a young guy...Dennis Scott used to have the MOST fun with the crazies and then he would shell us from the outside....same with Randolph Childress

Classof06
02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
As far as abilities go, Vasquez is a great, young guard who is battling with consistency issues in a very tough conference. He certainly can force things and make bad decisions at times, but the kid is a gamer. He has the size, handles and shot to really do some damage once he puts it all together. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Vasquez in the NBA when it's all said and done. Out of anyone, Duke fans should have the ultimate respect for this kid; he's averaging 17.8 pts, 6.3 rebs and 6.8 ast in 4 games vs Duke. 'Nuff said.

As far as his attitude goes, I don't think it's controversial at all. The kid plays with a lot of emotion and I personally like that. He's one of those guys that I love watching play the game. He has his fun with the Cameron Crazies and I see absolutely no problem with that. When the kid comes one assist shy of a triple double his first game in Cameron and sweeps Duke (largely because of himself) his freshman year, he's earned the right to say a little something to the Crazies.

tbyers11
02-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Ahh... Steve Blake... Every time I see him I get that song stuck in my head... "Some folk'l never eat a skunk, and then again some folk'l...."

That's hilarious. He does bear a strong resemblance to Cletus. I wonder if his wife is named Brandine.:D

BlueDevilJay
02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
You must be a young guy...Dennis Scott used to have the MOST fun with the crazies and then he would shell us from the outside....same with Randolph Childress

I remember watching the game on TV (How I have seen every Duke home game as Im yet to get into Cameron for one live) when GT was visiting, and I think it was rumored that Scott was having weight issues, and the Crazies pelted him and the floor with Twinkies before the game. From what I remember he kinda laughed it off.

merry
02-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Wow, I'm starting to not feel so all alone around here, liking Maryland and all. My comments...

Yes I know it's different for those of us not living in the DC area, just like you folks that don't live in the Triangle seem to have a less complex view of UNC.

Vasquez is great - I knew the first time I saw him play that I was going to like him and that some folks around here were going to hate him. Regarding the supposed hoop-la over what he may have shouted at the Crazies, I'm sure he was giving no worse than he was getting. Plus if his yapping further motivates Duke and the Duke fans, so much the better!

If you like Boom and/or didn't know about the car thing, check out this recent article from the Diamondback.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=22cd29b7-8ddd-4938-a340-080aa0b676e2

Last night - that was a very nice game to win.

Zeb
02-14-2008, 12:21 PM
It hadn't dawned on me that I actually do like the Maryland team, or at least I don't hate them. Heck, they beat UNC when they were #1. At the dome!

I think Vasquez is a hell of a fighter. And I frankly have no problem the with "come on you I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es" line. We've chanted much worse at players. I don't mind if an opponent occasionally gives a little back.

Especially if that opponent is 0-2 against us in a season and beat the Tar Heels at home.

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
you know, I hold grudge against some of their fans. But this team is actually quite likable. They play tough, but also quite clean...... I actually like "the afro". He seems humble and hard-working.

Fair enough. I guess that pretty much describes my feelings. But their fans are just so classless and it took Gary too long to try and do anything about it, and when he did he didn't do much.

I guess the team is a solid, clean, team that plays hard and so I have to respect that. But vasquez's jawing is annoying and I really hate their fans.

agreed agreed agreed. focus on the game. he's obviously too cocky and needs attention....which the crazies are happy to give him :)

TheTrain
02-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I remember watching the game on TV (How I have seen every Duke home game as Im yet to get into Cameron for one live) when GT was visiting, and I think it was rumored that Scott was having weight issues, and the Crazies pelted him and the floor with Twinkies before the game. From what I remember he kinda laughed it off.

Seth Davis (then a precocious freshman) challenged him to a 3-point shooting contest before the game and Scott lit him up....IIRC, Seth put up a few airballs...as he was walking back to the visiting team's locker room dribbling the ball, he turned around at the midcourt circle and swished one....the Crazies responded with a thunderous ovation and were bowing with "We're Not Worthy" awe

Prior to that, I handed fellow- Stonehenger Lionel Betsch a 24-pack of Dunkin Donuts...Lionel walked out to the foul line during the pre-game and opened the box for Scott and Brian Oliver.....Scott told Lionel that if he ate one of the cream-filled ones, he was good for 40.

DvB
02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
...as he was walking back to the visiting team's locker room dribbling the ball, he turned around at the midcourt circle and swished one....the Crazies responded with a thunderous ovation and were bowing with "We're Not Worthy" awe.

I will never forget that as long as I live. In fact, as I remember it, Scott launched the shot, then started jogging back to the locker room while the ball was in mid flight. He wasn't looking at the goal, and was most of the way off the court, when the ball swished. Cameron went nuts and gave him his very, very due props. Just a great Cameron moment. Loved Dennis Scott . . .

TheRose77
02-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Somebody who remembers this correct me if I'm wrong.
I seem to remember Maryland trips in the 1970s when Lefty Driesell was the coach. People held up pictures of the old left-hander with a gas gauge drawn on his bald dome with the needle pointing to 'E.'
I also remember Maryland had a player named Tom Roy, who I believe was about 6-9 from New York with shaggy hair. Somebody held up a sign that read, 'Tom Roy Sucks.' A few years later after Roy had graduated Maryland was back in Cameron and someone -- maybe the same person -- holds up a sign that reads, 'Tom Roy Still Sucks.'
Classic.

You remember correctly. Tom Roy still sucks. I can't remember what he did that was sucky, though. After 30 years it still cracks me up.

TheTrain
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I will never forget that as long as I live. In fact, as I remember it, Scott launched the shot, then started jogging back to the locker room while the ball was in mid flight. He wasn't looking at the goal, and was most of the way off the court, when the ball swished. Cameron went nuts and gave him his very, very due props. Just a great Cameron moment. Loved Dennis Scott . . .

Your memory is 100% accurate

billy
02-14-2008, 01:15 PM
It hadn't dawned on me that I actually do like the Maryland team, or at least I don't hate them. Heck, they beat UNC when they were #1. At the dome!

Reminds me of the "Not our rival!!!" chant & my sentiments exactly.

John Q. Devil
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Vasquez is 90% a great competitor and 10% a selfish jerk. Early in the first half, Gary took him out for a brief breather and Greivis could be seen screaming, "I want to play all 40 minutes!" over and over, at Gary and subsequently at the assistants.

Granted, his replacement turned the ball over the next possession and Greivis was back at the scorer's table. Playing 40 minutes likely would have given Maryland the best chance to win, but publicly screaming at your coach isn't the way to earn respect.

More than letting the Crazies get to him, it seemed to pump him up and focus him. Yeah, he tried to take a lot on his shoulders, but that was also because the rest of his team was gassed beyond belief. On at least two occassions, Osby could barely make it up the floor and was grasping at his jersey, begging to come out.

Devils8780
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Over the years the Terps have had players you just can't hate...

Joe Smith, Duane Simpkins, Exree Hip, Johnny Rhodes, Keith Booth, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Steve Francis, Terrence Morris, Laron Profit, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Lonnie Baxter, Byron Mouton, Chris Wilcox, Terrence Morris, Chris McCray, John Gilchrist, Drew Nicholas...down to Vasquez

Always gave Duke good games...

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Joe Smith, Duane Simpkins, Exree Hip, Johnny Rhodes, Keith Booth, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Steve Francis, Terrence Morris, Laron Profit, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Lonnie Baxter, Byron Mouton, Chris Wilcox, Terrence Morris, Chris McCray, John Gilchrist, Drew Nicholas...down to Vasquez

Nik Caner-Medley

mapei
02-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Actually, since Dennis last played in the ACC 18 years ago, you don't have to be young to have missed it. ;)

I live in DC, like the MD team, hate their fans, hate their coach. I find Vasquez entertaining to watch, although I'm starting to pick up on the irritating aspects of his personality that I hadn't noticed before.

nczephdog
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks for this list, Devils8780. I'd been trying to put it together in my own head for the past couple of weeks. My list also included Len Bias.

Zeb
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM

How'd you manage to leave out Len Bias?

OldPhiKap
02-14-2008, 03:06 PM

I could hate Blake, Baxter and Wilcox, although agree with most of that list. And, as several have mentioned, Bias was one of my favorite non-Duke players in the conference.

chalz
02-14-2008, 03:09 PM
While Vasquez would be wise to ignore the verbal slings and arrows from any crowd, it is nonsense for the DBR to suggest that there's "an excellent chance he could ignite a brawl" by taunting the crowd at "say Virginia Tech or N.C. State or maybe FSU". Granted, there is no shortage of cretins and vulgarians at those venues, but I've yet to see any fan pose a serious physical threat to a player at any of those schools or any other in the ACC.

Vasquez's comments, if that's what he really said, are indeed tasteless and witless. Nevertheless, let's not act so horrified that a visiting player would take the opportunity to taunt the same students who had taunted him for the previous two hours. Using this rather non-consequential episode as the means to take a cheap shot at other schools only serves to make us look like a bunch of milquetoasts.

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I could hate Blake, Baxter and Wilcox, although agree with most of that list. And, as several have mentioned, Bias was one of my favorite non-Duke players in the conference.

Yeah...I read that list wrong and thought that it was MD players that you had to hate, thus why I added Caner-Medley. Funny, I hated lots of guys that are on that list. Especially Blake, Baxter, & Gilchrist.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
While Vasquez would be wise to ignore the verbal slings and arrows from any crowd, it is nonsense for the DBR to suggest that there's "an excellent chance he could ignite a brawl" by taunting the crowd at "say Virginia Tech or N.C. State or maybe FSU". Granted, there is no shortage of cretins and vulgarians at those venues, but I've yet to see any fan pose a serious physical threat to a player at any of those schools or any other in the ACC.

Vasquez's comments, if that's what he really said, are indeed tasteless and witless. Nevertheless, let's not act so horrified that a visiting player would take the opportunity to taunt the same students who had taunted him for the previous two hours. Using this rather non-consequential episode as the means to take a cheap shot at other schools only serves to make us look like a bunch of milquetoasts.

Agreed. This is nothing to get your panties in a wad over.

MulletMan
02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Nik Caner-Medley

A favorite Cameron memory that I'd forgotten about for a while:

Grads: I'm from Maryland!
Ugrads: No one can beat me!

(What a D-bag!):eek:

ugadevil
I know J.J. used to "chat" with the opposing student section before and during games. I wonder if he ever said anything that could have led to a riot.

Misunderestimated
Next Play

gw67
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Roy was about 6-8, highly touted out of high school and he played with Lucas, McMillan and Elmore for a couple of years. I suspect that the crazies didn't like him because he was a very physical player and rubbed a lot of opposing fans the wrong way. I seem to recall that he got into a fight with a Virginia player but I may be mistaken. He was a decent rebounder and low post player but he was definitely a downgrade from Tom and Lenny.

gw67

MulletMan
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Granted, there is no shortage of cretins and vulgarians at those venues, but I've yet to see any fan pose a serious physical threat to a player at any of those schools or any other in the ACC.

Ummm, well, I was at VT when Duke lost there and the VT students had to be discouraged by security, and Matthew Laurence from physically going up into the Duke family section behind the bench which was populated mostly by JJ's family and a few random Duke fans lucky enough to get tickets to the game. We were then told that the Duke basketball office staff would prefer if we did not leave the arena immediately and were taken off the floor until the crowd dispersed. Would you consider any of that posing a "serious physical threat"?

Channing
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Apparently Demarcus Nelson doesnt really like Vasquez:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/943689.html

"If you could read my mind, I might be in trouble. He might have gotten his points tonight, but his teammates didn't, and we got the win," Nelson said. "... It's more about himself than his team. That's something, I guess, they allow in their locker room."

juise
02-14-2008, 03:37 PM

My favorite sign during my years as a crazy was:
"Steve Blake's Family Tree" [straight line]

Was that the Ed/Viking's sign? And does he ever visit these parts?

-jk
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Actually, since Dennis last played in the ACC 18 years ago, you don't have to be young to have missed it. ;) ...

Depends on what the meaning of "young" is. :p

-jk

jma4life
02-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Interesting quote from Demarcus. By the way, whatever happened to Gilchrist? He entered early because of issues with Gary or something right and never panned out? Was he in the same pg class as Dockery, Jarret Jack, Felton?

Summie444
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
DBR is sometimes too self-righteous in my opinion and while I do believe Vasquez should not have talking trash to the fans during the game, I agree with the OP. DBR should've just commented about this incident without taking what comes across as a cheap shot at other schools.

greybeard
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Vasquez is only little more than an okay player, and an out-of-position one at that. The guy does not give the ball up early or when it is easy. Receivers do not catch with space, unless he is giving the ball up after trying to attack the rim and happens to draw a double team that he can't try to beat. He made none of his teammates better on the offensive end last night.

He scored the ball well and clearly was angry; his visual displays of anger mirrored his coach, who was prancing on the court, and jumping into defensive stances while play was going on like he had come to play rather than coach.

BTW, what's up with that? Roy and now Gary. They should cut that stuff out. They do not belong on the court while the game is in progress, especially not striking angry and aggressive poses that opposing players can see. They should be mindful that they are millionaires and grown men, coaching a game for college kids. If the heads have nothing else to talk about, let them talk about that!

OldPhiKap
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
"That's something, I guess, they allow in their locker room."

{wince} I'm not so sure he should be saying that, frankly.

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
DBR is sometimes too self-righteous in my opinion and while I do believe Vasquez should not have talking trash to the fans during the game, I agree with the OP. DBR should've just commented about this incident without taking what comes across as a cheap shot at other schools.

its their site, so they give their opinion. just like journalists, you take a side or make your point, or state your belief and then stick to it.

Frankly, given mulletman's anecdote (if you don't know, mulletman is a long time "semi-famous" crazie and well respected guy around here) it looks like it really wasn't much of a cheapshot.

Oh and perhaps you've heard of Maryland fans giving carlos boozer's mother a concussion? It may seem like a cheapshot, but they know what they are talking about.

vango
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Teenager vernacular. "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es" isn't all that it sounds like. Lots of adolescent boy to boy / girl to girl / boy to group / or girl to group (but I've never heard the term used boy to girl as it is derogatory unless that is the intent) conversations use it as a slang term.

I'm around enough adolescents at times to hear them say to their friends, "C'mon I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es. Let's go" Not unlike how I hear some African American kids call each other (and each other only) the "n" word (but ending with an "a"). Not a term of endearment but no offense taken either.

I suspect that is what he was saying.

Not defending him. I'm not a fan of this kid though he seems alright underneath it all. Just a bit of a hot dog I think and needs to mature a little.

Carlos
02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Interesting quote from Demarcus. By the way, whatever happened to Gilchrist? He entered early because of issues with Gary or something right and never panned out? Was he in the same pg class as Dockery, Jarret Jack, Felton?

He's bounced around the fringes and international leagues. Currently in Israel last I knew.

glutton
02-14-2008, 04:44 PM

I dunno about "just can't hate"... I have absolutely no difficulty hating blake, baxter, or gilchrist.

juan dixon, I agree, is pretty much impossible to hate.

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Osby is definitely my favorite ACC player this year that isn't from Duke. He hustles his butt off and has a good time playing the game. In the first half, I liked that he went up to contest Gerald's dunk but then smiled when called for the foul. Guys from FSU, Va. Tech, or B.C. would have been shocked with the official.

I also loved hearing about Osby's car interest last night. I think they said he really likes to work on old cars and they listed all the ones he has. My favorite part of it all was that he said that none of them actually work. Old Bambale the Mechanic.

he was just sitting in it with a super wide grin, and the exotic haircut, with some of his favorite dudes in the back seat with him. i am not sure if the car worked or not, but it was just so funny. he's probably a pretty cool guy.

dth.

fan345678
02-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Walt Williams

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Actually I think the Hubert Davis reference shows your age a bit more than the Dixon ref :) Dixon was there in 01 and 02, a mere 6-7 years ago. NOW if you started talking about the good ole days when you harrassed Jeff Lebo and Dennis Scott, then you'd be old :) J/K (wait...how do I remember them....nevermind! :D )

Jay,

ok. word up on this. i was in Cameron the night we threw Twinkies at Dennis Scott but I don't think I threw one at him. I think I ate mine. Dude, I was probably hungry. I did so much crazy stuff in Cameron I can't remember all of it. Wait till i tell you the Dean Smith/Brickey dunk/t-shirt shaking from the sound waves story.

i get excited thinking about those days. those were great days, the good old days. we got the good old days back right now, again. yep.

dth.

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Vasquez is 90% a great competitor and 10% a selfish jerk. Early in the first half, Gary took him out for a brief breather and Greivis could be seen screaming, "I want to play all 40 minutes!" over and over, at Gary and subsequently at the assistants.

Granted, his replacement turned the ball over the next possession and Greivis was back at the scorer's table. Playing 40 minutes likely would have given Maryland the best chance to win, but publicly screaming at your coach isn't the way to earn respect.

More than letting the Crazies get to him, it seemed to pump him up and focus him. Yeah, he tried to take a lot on his shoulders, but that was also because the rest of his team was gassed beyond belief. On at least two occassions, Osby could barely make it up the floor and was grasping at his jersey, begging to come out.

(I like Greivis). But I can understand why ANY Maryland player yells at Gary; he repeatedly turns and yells at the bench players when any issue happens against Maryland on the court. When he gesticulates, he reminds me of a rich man's Rumpelstiltskin.

He's taught them not to respect him in this way; any player yelling at K might as well look into transferring.

dth.

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Oh, my, God.

Steve Blake, I detested.

Why? He looks like Eminem, the sordid rocker. He has that look on his face like some serial killer (Hansbrough has this 'glow' about him as well); talk about a vile trash talker!! Blake was the prima donna of giving it back to crowds.

I saw him at NC State his senior year, and they beat State on a 3 ball; Blake immediately runs right by the student section and pulls out his jersey and the spit is coming out of his mouth and all the way down the line, he's running and pointing at his private parts.

I liked Juan Dixon, though.

dth.

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Nik Caner-Medley

beat me to it. his dad, whereever he is, HATES me. I sat behind them in '04 and was all over the kid. (and yes his dad would where his son's jersey with the "Caner" on it and the mom would wear "medley"...or maybe vice versa, but still funny)

juise
02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Steve Blake, I detested.

Why? He looks like Eminem, the sordid rocker.

Me too. I always thought that he was a cross between Eminem and the Florida/Sacramento/Miami Jason Williams. Blake's done two tours of duty here in Portland now and his attitude has actually been quite good. I'm thinking that his first few years in the league were quite humbling.

I saw him at NC State his senior year, and they beat State on a 3 ball; Blake immediately runs right by the student section and pulls out his jersey and the spit is coming out of his mouth and all the way down the line, he's running and pointing at his private parts.

He put on a similar act after Maryland won at Duke in 2001 (the Boozer broken foot on Shane/Nate senior day game). I was in the front row of the student section (tent 1 :cool: ) and vividly remember his victory lap.

I liked Juan Dixon, though.

Knowing his story and seeing how he carried himself on the court, it's hard not to.

3rd Dukie
02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't see how DBR or anyone else could take offense at that kid's remarks and actions. I mean, didn't Bald and Dumber rave about how they LOVED his passion? I mean, come on now!

It's just passion and not anything serious of course!

What a trio of Bozos!

Section 8
02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Ron Artest

merry
02-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Agreed. This is nothing to get your panties in a wad over.

I hate to admit this but my almost 13-year-old says something very similar to us when he performs an amazing feat such as getting two strikes in a row to put the Wii Bowling championship out of my reach.

merry
02-14-2008, 08:09 PM
BTW, what's up with that? Roy and now Gary. They should cut that stuff out. They do not belong on the court while the game is in progress, especially not striking angry and aggressive poses that opposing players can see.

I'm still wondering what happened to the so-called point of emphasis on bench decorum and the coach staying in the box. In an away game earlier this season I remember seeing on TV an incident where Coach K was warned to stay in the box, but I haven't noticed any other cases of ACC coaches getting warned.

Actually, last night, Gary stayed more on the sidelines than he usually does in Cameron, but he still was out on the court several times. Either it's a rule or it isn't, but somehow in Cameron where the building is small and it's hard for the coach to be heard over the crowd the rule is rarely if ever enforced.

TNTDevil
02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Ummm, well, I was at VT when Duke lost there and the VT students had to be discouraged by security, and Matthew Laurence from physically going up into the Duke family section behind the bench which was populated mostly by JJ's family and a few random Duke fans lucky enough to get tickets to the game. We were then told that the Duke basketball office staff would prefer if we did not leave the arena immediately and were taken off the floor until the crowd dispersed. Would you consider any of that posing a "serious physical threat"?Me, and some of my friends had something resembling this happen to us at VT's first ACC football game against Duke.

We were sitting up behind the Duke parents and once the game got out-of-hand, a group of about 10-15 kids (don't know for certain if they were students at VT) came over and sat behind us and started talking #$%@ in hopes of starting something. Fortunately, some of the VT season ticket holders got out of their seats came down and sat right behind these jerks. They cooled out for a few moments but, when VT scored (again), they started up again, this time with profanity. One of the VT adults got up summoned security and, as far as I know, those punks watched the remainder of the game on TV.

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I hate to admit this but my almost 13-year-old says something very similar to us when he performs an amazing feat such as getting two strikes in a row to put the Wii Bowling championship out of my reach.

LOL. Is there anything that brings out profanity more than video games? If so, I've never seen it.

hc5duke
02-14-2008, 08:46 PM
LOL. Is there anything that brings out profanity more than video games? If so, I've never seen it.

watching sports on teevee for me

freedevil
02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
DBR tends to be a little melodramatic quite often. But, as another poster said, it's their site. I just post here.

Bob Green
02-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Alcohol.

captmojo
02-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Officials working a tar hole game. :o:cool:

luigi90
02-14-2008, 09:35 PM
The I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es comment is not really a big deal but I don't disagree that Williams needs to get his player and team under control. Enthusiasm is one thing, but he overdoes it to the point where he makes himself the center of attention, and sorta looks like a fool doing it (IMO).

Unfortunately Williams has not shown any ability, or desire, to control his players (or fans) in the past so the reality is get used to Vasquez, he isn't gonna change.

mapei
02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
OK, so who is Matthew Laurence and what does/did he have to do with a Duke-VT game?

captmojo
02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
OK, so who is Matthew Laurence and what does/did he have to do with a Duke-VT game?

Duke Radio Network

killerleft
02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, you'd have to include JJ as a Vasquez-er. And he did it at Maryland, where there is at least some history of fan violence toward the Duke family. I can remember no incident that remotely hinted at the possibility of fan violence at Duke, unless you count the paranoia of Seth Greenburg.

But both Vasquez and JJ should have kept their mouths shut.

mapei
02-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Duke Radio Network

Ah. I googled the name and got some TV actor . . .

DukeUsul
02-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Ah. I googled the name and got some TV actor . . .

He was. He played the dad on 90210 I believe. Became friends with K and ended up switching careers and getting the Duke Radio gig.

Back to the original topic... I believe the story on DBR was discussing Vasquez verbal sparring causing a brawl. While I wouldn't be surprised if a brawl, or perhaps a minor kerfuffle were to break out in some ACC arenas between opposing fans, I'd have a real hard time believing that said kerfuffle would be ignited between fans and a player, which is how I'd have to read what DBR posted.

mapei
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm still wondering what happened to the so-called point of emphasis on bench decorum and the coach staying in the box. In an away game earlier this season I remember seeing on TV an incident where Coach K was warned to stay in the box, but I haven't noticed any other cases of ACC coaches getting warned.

I haven't, either, in the ACC. I remember Gtown's JT3, the calmest coach on the sidelines in the country, being given a T for wandering a few feet out in the tourney last year.

I think lots of MD players are likeable and some aren't. I liked Baxter, for instance, and I kind of like Vasquez and their bigs this year. Bias and Walt Williams were very likeable. Blake? Gilchrist? Uh, no.

And BTW, lumping Roy and Gary together is ludicrous. Roy is much classier IMO.

captmojo
02-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Ughhh, I also remember him working an infomercial for some ionic bracelet thingy a few years ago.

merry
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
And BTW, lumping Roy and Gary together is ludicrous. Roy is much classier IMO.

Well dag gummit mapei, seems to me like Ol Roy's got you frickin' snowed!

luigi90
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
He was. He played the dad on 90210 I believe. Became friends with K and ended up switching careers and getting the Duke Radio gig.

Back to the original topic... I believe the story on DBR was discussing Vasquez verbal sparring causing a brawl. While I wouldn't be surprised if a brawl, or perhaps a minor kerfuffle were to break out in some ACC arenas between opposing fans, I'd have a real hard time believing that said kerfuffle would be ignited between fans and a player, which is how I'd have to read what DBR posted.

Back in the late 80's, after N.C. State beat us at Cameron, several State players started woofing it up with the crowd and a brawl nearly ensued, with fans having to be held back...some posters here probably recall it better than I do.

DukeUsul
02-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Back in the late 80's, after N.C. State beat us at Cameron, several State players started woofing it up with the crowd and a brawl nearly ensued, with fans having to be held back...some posters here probably recall it better than I do.

Interesting, I'm not familiar with that incident. It was before I really got into basketball.

RelativeWays
02-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Sometimes people do dumb things when they're frustrated, kinda like Docks face shove to Hansbeaker a couple of years ago at the end of the game (lord knows I was about as pissed as he was). Sometimes your emotions get the better of you, particularly when you're trying hard to beat a rival and nothing seems to be going your way. It was a pretty dumb thing for General Greivous to say, but not the end of the world. I hope he can reign in his temper because UMD has been a physical but fairly clean team this year. They still have a chance to make the tournament, he doesn't need to sabotage it with stupid antics.

MulletMan
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Apropos of this situation... sort of... anybody see Reid's little display against Wake last night? Perhaps if Hamilton bothered to discipline his players for things in previous games *ahem*, then the little incident last night might not have happened.

Billy Dat
02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I used to think that "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." was a nasty term and never used it except at the end of a longer string of profanity, typically following "son of a..."

I also noticed it's effective use in hip hop, but still felt it was a pretty negative word.

Then, this summer, Knick President Isiah Thomas made a light bulb go off for me. He taught me that the term isn't as bad as I thought it was, that in fact it was perfectly acceptable, especially when a black male uses it in reference directly to a black female. Granted, Isiah lost that argument, but an important point was made.

Should we not ask Vasquez his exact meaning, allowing for ethnic and cultural differences, before we condemn him?

;^)

Spencer's Daddy
02-15-2008, 10:51 AM

It was none other than Jason Evans who, in a less-than-sane moment, challenged Chucky Brown and Avie Lester to prove their manhood. As I recall, it was the Blue Devil who stepped in between and cooler heads prevailed.

Luigi90, I think we know each other...are you a Man of Stone?

Johnboy
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Computers.

Classof06
02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Apropos of this situation... sort of... anybody see Reid's little display against Wake last night? Perhaps if Hamilton bothered to discipline his players for things in previous games *ahem*, then the little incident last night might not have happened.

Yeah, I've given Hamilton enough passes; it's time to kick this Reid kid off the team already. Though the whole Paulus incident wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, Reid was also the guy involved in Lawson's ankle sprain, with many believing it was a dirty play. You couple that incident up with the blatant punch thrown at the Wake Forest player and this spells a trend. Wasn't the Duke game this kid's first game back from suspension? Geez.

luigi90
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
It was none other than Jason Evans who, in a less-than-sane moment, challenged Chucky Brown and Avie Lester to prove their manhood. As I recall, it was the Blue Devil who stepped in between and cooler heads prevailed.

Luigi90, I think we know each other...are you a Man of Stone?

Absolutely, was just down on campus and its not Stonehenge anymore..what a shame. I recalled it was Jason but wanted to see if others remembered. I couldnt remember the players names--nice call. I PM'd you.

Exiled_Devil
02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Teenager vernacular. "I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es" isn't all that it sounds like. Lots of adolescent boy to boy / girl to girl / boy to group / or girl to group (but I've never heard the term used boy to girl as it is derogatory unless that is the intent) conversations use it as a slang term.

I'm around enough adolescents at times to hear them say to their friends, "C'mon I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es. Let's go" Not unlike how I hear some African American kids call each other (and each other only) the "n" word (but ending with an "a"). Not a term of endearment but no offense taken either.

I suspect that is what he was saying.

Not defending him. I'm not a fan of this kid though he seems alright underneath it all. Just a bit of a hot dog I think and needs to mature a little.

I call BS. Not on you, but on the idea that 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.' is just an okay word that kids use today. Not appropriate, shouldn't be condoned, and frankly degrading to women.

Would it be fine if Vaquez had called the crowd 'n*ggers'? Like you said, some teens use that as vernacular too. It would have caused an uproar*. Using degrading, insulting terms to refer to strangers is not okay. Whether it is fine in a group of knowing and consenting friends is a different debate, but with a group of strangers it is not only wrong, but could casue trouble as DBR said.

Imagine he tossed that term at a group of hyper-homophobic, amped up, angry aggressive kids, similar to the group that was described at the VT football game earlier in the thread. That could easily result in an incident that would get out of hand.

*Jesse Jackson may have come back to Durham.

devillighter
02-15-2008, 05:49 PM

It was one of my favorites too, although I remember my freshman year when Caner-Medley was a junior in 04-05. He lit us up for 25 pts and was 6-6 from the charity stripe.

TheTrain
02-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Spencer's Daddy ...you and I were standing next to one another when Mr. Evans had his less than sane moment...but I could have sworn a State official stepped in and stated something along the lines of "Don't hit them, cause they'll end up going to jail."

Jason definitely went off the deep end that day

ugadevil
02-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Spencer's Daddy ...you and I were standing next to one another when Mr. Evans had his less than sane moment...but I could have sworn a State official stepped in and stated something along the lines of "Don't hit them, cause they'll end up going to jail."

Jason definitely went off the deep end that day

Is this the story Jason talked about in the thread discussing how there haven't been any fights in Cameron? I remember laughing out loud at my desk when reading his account of being stopped by the giant talking Wolfpack mascot.

slower
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
In Luke Winn's latest "Q&A" on cnnsi.com, Vasquez says this (in response to a quote from Demarcus) about Duke:

"And that's part of the reason they've been losing lately: They're getting into things that are none of their business. I've got no right to talk about anybody else's locker room, and when I talk after the game -- when I win or lose -- I never say anything bad about any good players or any other teams."

What a maroon.

Here's the link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/basketball/ncaa/2008/02/q-with-marylands-greivis-vasquez.html

Duvall
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
By contrast, Maryland has been losing lately because they are not a very good basketball team.

yancem
02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
In Luke Winn's latest "Q&A" on cnnsi.com, Vasquez says this (in response to a quote from Demarcus) about Duke:

"And that's part of the reason they've been losing lately: They're getting into things that are none of their business. I've got no right to talk about anybody else's locker room, and when I talk after the game -- when I win or lose -- I never say anything bad about any good players or any other teams."

What a maroon.

What is he supposed to say? Yeah, I was a ball hog and my dominating the ball so much cost us the game? I agree that equating Nelson's comments to the reason why Duke lost to Wake and Miami doesn't make sense but the rest is fine. There really isn't any reason for Nelson to speculate about MD locker room. Vasquez took a few unadvised shots but he also made a few too. All in all he had a pretty solid game and played hard, I don't think you can fault him too much. Also, we don't (and neither does Nelson) know what his coach was telling him to do.

Here's the link for anyone who is interested:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/basketball/ncaa/2008/02/q-with-marylands-greivis-vasquez.html

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Too much... irony... brain... can't handle it...

Uncle Drew
02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
After reading the entire article I don't think what the guy said was too bad. Truth be told Nelson IMO gave a verbal jab at him after the Duke win. Vasquez waited until he had a national audience in SI to give a verbal jab back. (And waited until it followed 2 stinging Duke losses.) If you read the article GV is pretty complimentary about Duke over all. But that's just my opinion.

And for the record I don't own stock in any oil companies and I'm not Communist. Say what you want about Venezuellan basketball players, but that country produces some of the most beautiful women on earth. And that's all that really matters when all is said and done.

slower
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
After reading the entire article I don't think what the guy said was too bad. Truth be told Nelson IMO gave a verbal jab at him after the Duke win. Vasquez waited until he had a national audience in SI to give a verbal jab back. (And waited until it followed 2 stinging Duke losses.) If you read the article GV is pretty complimentary about Duke over all. But that's just my opinion.

And for the record I don't own stock in any oil companies and I'm not Communist. Say what you want about Venezuellan basketball players, but that country produces some of the most beautiful women on earth. And that's all that really matters when all is said and done.

I always buy my gas at Citgo.

BTW, if you read the comments at the end of the si.com article, it says that he refused to shake Roy's frickin' hand after the Holes game. Dadgummit!

Hmm...I may have misunderestimated this feller.

kramerbr
02-26-2008, 07:03 PM
After reading the rest of the quote regarding Nelson's comments, I think it will be a very interesting game if Duke is to meet Maryland in the conference tourney.

phillyheel
02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
but that country produces some of the most beautiful women on earth.

They also have the highest rate of cosmetic surgery in the world, even besting Brazil.

jma4life
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Look, the bottom line is that Nelson should not have said anything in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I've probably been one of Nelson's biggest backers. I can't have any more respect for him and I have consistently defended him from even some Duke haters. That said, I don't really like to see Duke players saying anything negative about other players. My guess is that Gregis probably said some really bad things in the game to Demarcus but Demarcus has to be the mature one and not worry about it in the post game.

VaDukie
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Look, the bottom line is that Nelson should not have said anything in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I've probably been one of Nelson's biggest backers. I can't have any more respect for him and I have consistently defended him from even some Duke haters. That said, I don't really like to see Duke players saying anything negative about other players. My guess is that Gregis probably said some really bad things in the game to Demarcus but Demarcus has to be the mature one and not worry about it in the post game.

I agree, Nelson's comments do come across as a little bone headed. Saying he got his points but we got the win might be ok, but going so far as to say selfish play is accepted in their locker room is pushing it.

weezie
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Demarcus is a senior, he's been around this block a few times. Vasquez acts like a punk, no matter what gloss he wants to gussy it up with on SI.com., an acknowledged site rife with Duke hatred. SI loves to paint Duke as the Dark Empire.
Nelson has come through four tough years at Duke, he's a Krzyzewski Man and they know how to behave and how to tell the truth.
Vasquez can start recognizing and prepare himself for another beat down in Charlotte, if he's so lucky.

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
What a maroon.

Are you calling him a color? Or a runaway slave? :confused: Either way, not nice.

But I agree that Dmarc probably shouldn't have said what he said, but it wasn't all that bad and I agree that Vasquez does do some "flamboyant" things on the court and is "cocky." People called JJ cocky all the time, and I think he almost embraced being labeled that.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Are you calling him a color? Or a runaway slave? :confused: Either way, not nice.

I think it's a Bug Bunny reference. Didn't know about this word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_(people)). Cool, something new today.

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I think it's a Bug Bunny reference. Didn't know about this word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_(people)). Cool, something new today.

Ah, I totally missed the Bugs Bunny reference. That makes more sense. I've forgotten that he says that, and I'm not sure why Warner Bros. chose that term. Seems like somebody would know the meaning behind the word maroon.

Mudge
02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Ah, I totally missed the Bugs Bunny reference. That makes more sense. I've forgotten that he says that, and I'm not sure why Warner Bros. chose that term. Seems like somebody would know the meaning behind the word maroon.

Maroon... Moron... get it? Not that complicated, unless you're a-- oh, never mind.

killerleft
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Doesn't the word maroon as used by Bugs Bunny represent mangled Brooklynese for moron?

Bluedog
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Maroon... Moron... get it? Not that complicated, unless you're a-- oh, never mind.

Yes, I understood that immediately. I am a Duke grad after all. ;) What I'm saying is that it's odd that Warner Bros chose that word since it has an alternate meaning.

hc5duke
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Yes, I understood that immediately. I am a Duke grad after all. ;) What I'm saying is that it's odd that Warner Bros chose that word since it has an alternate meaning.

Well it's not like WB cared for political correctness (http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/lists/politically.html) back in the 30s/40s/50s

BD80
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Wasn't the phrase used by the Stooges as well?

johnb
02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I like Nelson a lot, but his comment seemed more inflammatory than Vasquez's.

I was more struck by his comment that if he were Chavez's son, he'd have lots of power and money. Very few children of US politicians would say such a thing, and even those around the children view their power as "one step removed" and the parents' wealth to be something accumulated after leaving office. In most countries, though, presidents get rich as presidents.

By the way, the use of the word "maroon" was innocent, here, but it is an example of how the innocent use of words can make relatively disenfranchised minorities feel uncomfortable.

rsvman
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
People have been substituting "maroon" for moron for years. It was particularly popular on "teh interwebs" about 3 years ago. Lately, it seems to me that "moran" has become more popular.

Either way, they're just different ways of calling somebody an idjit.;)

yancem
02-27-2008, 09:52 AM
People have been substituting "maroon" for moron for years. It was particularly popular on "teh interwebs" about 3 years ago. Lately, it seems to me that "moran" has become more popular.

Either way, they're just different ways of calling somebody an idjit.;)

I wonder is the use of "moran" has anything to do with my old congressman Moran, who from my perspective if a moron.

Shammrog
02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
By the way, the use of the word "maroon" was innocent, here, but it is an example of how the innocent use of words can make relatively disenfranchised minorities feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, but c'mon - can't people be a little oversensitive/looking for something to be mad about? I got the Bugs Bunny reference immediately, and didn't even know there was an alternate meaning.

gw67
02-27-2008, 10:31 AM
It apeared to me that the two of them were talking to one another during the game and I suspect that Nelson was irritated at the end of the game. I thought that Nelson's post game remarks were a little out of line and the SI writer probably sought out Vasquez to respond. I don't think that it is a big deal in either case.

The Terps don't have the depth of quality players that Duke has and Vasquez needs to play more minutes and do more things than most point guards on ACC teams so he does dominate the ball. Nelson was in his grill for nearly the entire contest and Vasquez still had a good, all around game, IMO.

gw67

wumhenry
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
The only alternate meaning I know of is the color maroon. Is there a problem with that?(?!)

gw67
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Singler is a tough kid and gives as good as he gets. Same with Vasquez. I seem to recall that several folks on this board looked at replays of that first game episode and concluded that it was no big deal. Who knows and who cares! There are several on this board who seem to think that all opposition players are "dirty" and that Duke players do no wrong. Life just isn't that way.

gw67

KyDevilinIL
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I always assumed "moran" was connected to Fark.com, the users of which have a habit of posting this photo. (http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-moran.htm)

devil84
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM

I'd also like to interject another small, but important, point. According to Merriam-Webster (m-w.com), the noun "maroon" is a person who is marooned (left on an island or in a desolate area without means of escape) or a dark-red color. When capitalized, "Maroon" refers to a fugitive slave or a descendant of such a person. (Look it up on m-w.com, and/or check out this word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_%28people%29) that BD80 posted. I learned something new and quite interesting today!)

I always thought that Bugs Bunny used the term "maroon" to mean a moron who was so moronic, he's marooned in it -- the maroon is completely incapable of escape from being a moron. Just my $0.02.

slower
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I'd also like to interject another small, but important, point. According to Merriam-Webster (m-w.com), the noun "maroon" is a person who is marooned (left on an island or in a desolate area without means of escape) or a dark-red color. When capitalized, "Maroon" refers to a fugitive slave or a descendant of such a person. (Look it up on m-w.com, and/or check out this word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_%28people%29) that BD80 posted. I learned something new and quite interesting today!)

I always thought that Bugs Bunny used the term "maroon" to mean a moron who was so moronic, he's marooned in it -- the maroon is completely incapable of escape from being a moron. Just my $0.02.

Good thing my caps lock was off!

rsvman
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I always assumed "moran" was connected to Fark.com, the users of which have a habit of posting this photo. (http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-moran.htm)

Bingo! That photo is great. For now, I certainly prefer "moran" to either "maroon" or "moron," but who knows how I'll feel in a couple of weeks.