PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. MD postgame thread

77devil
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Post your thoughts here.

Ben63
02-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Great game tonight. We have improved on FT% but if we have shown we cant win w/o the 3ball. When we got cold from beyond UMD made a run and got very close. Scheyer hit the 3 and we were in control again. A cold shooting night scares me especially against a good team.

Overall a good, but not great, performance tonight.

wilson
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Great first half on both ends of the court, mediocre second half...some good moments in the last 8 minutes or so, but was that a nonslaught I saw? And I agree that we need to hit threes to win. A cold shooting night will do this team in in the tournament.
That said, this might be my favorite Duke team ever. I've been watching for 20+ years now, and I can't remember another one that absolutely plays its butts off all the time like this one does. It's really a thrill to watch.

dukestheheat
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Great game tonight. We have improved on FT% but if we have shown we cant win w/o the 3ball. When we got cold from beyond UMD made a run and got very close. Scheyer hit the 3 and we were in control again. A cold shooting night scares me especially against a good team.

Overall a good, but not great, performance tonight.

So, we had the huge lead and we were moving well and spacing, but then we stopped scoring and let Maryland back into the game. When it went to two points, Duke stiffened its collective back and pulled away, which is a sign of maturity and resilience and I am so proud of this team.

But, analyze that stretch whereby we looked totally terrible and we were soundly outplayed.

What went wrong? I say we went much more to quick shots and one-on-one versus the usual space, drive and kick. This indeed will be used by K as a 'teachable moment' with the film and Duke will learn from that complete dry spell.

dth.

loran16
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
So, we had the huge lead and we were moving well and spacing, but then we stopped scoring and let Maryland back into the game. When it went to two points, Duke stiffened its collective back and pulled away, which is a sign of maturity and resilience and I am so proud of this team.

But, analyze that stretch whereby we looked totally terrible and we were soundly outplayed.

What went wrong? I say we went much more to quick shots and one-on-one versus the usual space, drive and kick. This indeed will be used by K as a 'teachable moment' with the film and Duke will learn from that complete dry spell.

dth.

The problem was we would drive, turnover the ball rather than kick it out.

Gerald looked really weak tonight, i think the injury is still bothering him.

DevilDad
02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Just got off the phone with my son. A couple of great signs he said they had: "Fear the Classroom" (ref. to Maryland`s poor grad. rate), "If you can read this Gary Williams did not recruit you".:D

mapei
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
We get so much UMCP hype here in the DC area - it is great to get a win - indeed, two in a row and three of four - against Maryland. Maybe people will start cooling it about how Gary has our number which, admittedly, he did for a while.

I love the quickness of our team, getting rebounds against those big guys and making deflections and steals. It's true that we live/die by the 3, but that just adds to the excitement and I do believe it's working!

Vasquez is impressive, as is Osby. Relatively quiet game from Gist.

MOTMs: Greg, Kyle
key additional contributors: Jon, Lance
glue: Dave
invisible at key points: Gerald, DeMarcus
relatively insignificant tonight: Nolan, Taylor, Brian

Hey, that's 10 players! I thought K didn't use his bench?

The1Bluedevil
02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Maryland has the #1 fg defense in the league so they deserve some credit.

wilson
02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Maryland has the #1 fg defense in the league so they deserve some credit.

Yes. Defense by both teams, especially in the first half, was outstanding tonight.

dkbaseball
02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm getting a little weary of the conventional wisdom in talking head land that Duke must inevitably have a night when the threes aren't falling, and thus can't be seen as a favorite for the NC. Have they not noticed that Duke has six guys who are good to excellent three-point shooters (and I'm not including Gerald, who can knock them down occasionally)? On any given night there are going to be at least a couple of them knocking 'em down, and this Duke team seems to be pretty good at making in-game adjustments to find the hot hand. I can't remember any college team that ever had this much shooting depth.

That said, I'm a bit uncomfortable seeing bench minutes decline, even though the top six are competing superbly. If you do need to put a Smith or a King in for an offensive spark (assuming the top six are cold on three-pointers), you want those guys coming in fully confident in themselves.

weezie
02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
We get so much UMCP hype here in the DC area - it is great to get a win - indeed, two in a row and three of four - against Maryland.

There will be much gnashing of teeth from Jimbo Vance on channel four tonight!

dukelifer
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Duke had a cold spell but closed it out like a professional team. Singler again looked like Battier at the end of 2001- making threes- getting tough rebounds- and keeping everyone calm. Paulus is really playing well. Yes he is shooting the ball with confidence- but he looks so much quicker with the ball. He is handling and passing so much better these days. Henderson is having problems with the wrist. K said in the pregame interview that he will likely have a sore wrist the rest of the season and it may not be 100%. He will need to pick his spots and likely Singler and Scheyer will need to do more. Scheyer also played well down the stretch. As for Maryland- they played hard and Vasquez showed a lot tonight- but Gist was kept under control for most of the game. A great win by Duke. Duke has a lot of road games coming up. So they will need to continue to be mentally tough. But this was a big win against a pretty hot team.

buzz
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Props to Lance for making a game-changing block at 57-55. His offense was weaker tonight than in recent games, but the momentum shifted significantly after that play. Singler made his sweet baseline drive right after that - ownage!

wilson
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm getting a little weary of the conventional wisdom in talking head land that Duke must inevitably have a night when the threes aren't falling, and thus can't be seen as a favorite for the NC. Have they not noticed that Duke has six guys who are good to excellent three-point shooters (and I'm not including Gerald, who can knock them down occasionally)? On any given night there are going to be at least a couple of them knocking 'em down, and this Duke team seems to be pretty good at making in-game adjustments to find the hot hand. I can't remember any college team that ever had this much shooting depth.

That said, I'm a bit uncomfortable seeing bench minutes decline, even though the top six are competing superbly. If you do need to put a Smith or a King in for an offensive spark (assuming the top six are cold on three-pointers), you want those guys coming in fully confident in themselves.

Very good points. You're exactly right about the shooting depth, and I'll admit that I forget about that from time to time. As for bench depth, I agree that it's a bit disconcerting, but I thought Scheyer had quite a good game tonight...I don't think "coming in cold" is really a problem for him these days. Good minutes from Zoubs and McClure too.

gofurman
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
We get so much UMCP hype here in the DC area - it is great to get a win - indeed, two in a row and three of four - against Maryland. Maybe people will start cooling it about how Gary has our number which, admittedly, he did for a while.

I love the quickness of our team, getting rebounds against those big guys and making deflections and steals. It's true that we live/die by the 3, but that just adds to the excitement and I do believe it's working!

Vasquez is impressive, as is Osby. Relatively quiet game from Gist.

MOTMs: Greg, Kyle
key additional contributors: Jon, Lance
glue: Dave
invisible at key points: Gerald, DeMarcusrelatively insignificant tonight: Nolan, Taylor, Brian

Hey, that's 10 players! I thought K didn't use his bench?

- It seemed to me Maryland was playing to stop the GH and DM drive and allowing the three since it was the GH and DM drives that killed them in the first game. Anyone agree or was this just coincidence that our two most athletic wings had 'down' nights? Thoughts ?

wilson
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
- It seemed to me Maryland was playing to stop the GH and DM drive and allowing the three since it was the GH and DM drives that killed them in the first game. Anyone agree or was this just coincidence that our two most athletic wings had 'down' nights? Thoughts ?

You're right; Gerald and DeMarcus were not at the top of their game tonight. Just another example of a) this team's offensive balance, and b) its defensive prowess, imo.

12_2bretired
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM

It seems that Henderson was really struggling with the wrist tonight and couldnt get anything going.

As far as Nelson goes, every time he drove the lane Maryland shifted help and really closed in on him. This led to all the spinning in the lane that he tried all night.

I think it was a combination of off nights and good defense by the Terps.

snewman92
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
1) I despise Gary Williams and a significant part of the Twerps' fans, though I have to say that with the exception of Vasquez, it's hard to dislike this team very much (and even Vasquez is a remarkable player).

2) We are now 10-0 in the ACC; I certainly wouldn't have predicted that at the start of the season.

3) The nonslaught we suffered in the second half may well have been fatal last year. This year, we have better ball movement, penetration, chemistry, and resilience.

4) We largely neutralized Gist--who scares me--and kept Osby from having a huge game. Indeed, our defense was excellent throughout, and this against a team on a hot streak.

This really has been a season to savor, and I'm optimistic about what's coming.

SMO
02-13-2008, 10:15 PM

Vitale kept mentioning that Gary Williams stressed to his team to not let Paulus and Singler drain 3's, but it looked more like what you describe. They seemed to want to cut off drives before they get to the paint and that left Singler open a lot, as well as Paulus.

OldSchool
02-13-2008, 10:17 PM
It was great to see big Z getting a few minutes against Maryland's post players.

When he played within himself on the defensive end, it really made a difference against Maryland in the paint.

What I wish Z would do when he is caught on a switch out on the perimeter, is after showing the hedge pull back a step or two toward the basket. He is 7-frickin' feet, make the opposing player try to shoot over him rather than trying to play so close that the smaller, quicker guard can easily drive around him.

On the offensive end, they're clearly not comfortable trying to feed him down low yet, he needs to work himself back into the flow before that will come.

365Duke
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
on T.V that when we went to the "spread offense" (that we use to call the "stall", I like spread better:p ) everyone stood up to cheer. It is extremely effective, and I love seeing K direct like he is leading a symphony orchestra.:D

My, how far we have come. It's like a knockout punch you know is coming, but ya can't do nothin' about it!:eek:

yancem
02-13-2008, 10:22 PM
You're right; Gerald and DeMarcus were not at the top of their game tonight. Just another example of a) this team's offensive balance, and b) its defensive prowess, imo.

I think part of the problem for G and DMarc was that the refs were allowing a lot of contact. Ehen they drove the lane, they had trouble holding onto the ball, yet very few fouls were being called. That's not to say I think the refs did a bad job, they were fairly consistent on both ends of the floor, so i have no complaints. I just think that G and DMarc didn't make the best adjustments.

mehmattski
02-13-2008, 10:22 PM
It was great to see big Z getting a few minutes against Maryland's post players.

When he played within himself on the defensive end, it really made a difference against Maryland in the paint.

What I wish Z would do when he is caught on a switch out on the perimeter, is after showing the hedge pull back a step or two toward the basket. He is 7-frickin' feet, make the opposing player try to shoot over him rather than trying to play so close that the smaller, quicker guard can easily drive around him.

On the offensive end, they're clearly not comfortable trying to feed him down low yet, he needs to work himself back into the flow before that will come.

I was a fan of Z's minutes as well. His second stint, he was all over the place, though. Inside, then outside, then inside again, then trying to contest a 3 after being in the block- we need you to rebound, big guy! I think it was a combination of being out of game-flow and trying to do everything he can to show K he's ready. Gotta love the enthusiasm.

wilson
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I think part of the problem for G and DMarc was that the refs were allowing a lot of contact. Ehen they drove the lane, they had trouble holding onto the ball, yet very few fouls were being called. That's not to say I think the refs did a bad job, they were fairly consistent on both ends of the floor, so i have no complaints. I just think that G and DMarc didn't make the best adjustments.

Plus, neither shot well...the combo of not sinking 'em and not drawing fouls made for comparatively underproductive nights for both.

wisteria
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Lance may not have one of his better offensive game tonight, but he really did well on the defensive end. I am really impressed with his progress.

He's just absolutely energetic in the open court, flying here and there to help out defense, to help trapping. There was one play, he was in the mid-court, just determined to give the terp's ball-handler the hell. He pressed the first guy, didn't work. Came back and kept on pressing the other guys. And the next second, he stole the ball! I was really really happy for that play.

Oh, and there were times Lance was handling the ball with a lot of traffic around him. I find myself no longer THAT nervous when Lance dribbles.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I thought it was one of the most civil Duke-Md games in recent history. I usually leave the game cussing a blue streak about one of MD's players, but it was actually a pretty clean game.

I think the second half slump started when DeMarcus missed a few outside shots, then got tentative. We seemed to lose our rythm and moving the ball. Whoever played D on Gerald must have done a great job because he was as quiet as he has been all year. Still, overall it was a big conference win against a hungry, hot, well-coached team. Yay us!

wilson
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Lance may not have one of his better offensive game tonight, but he really did well on the defensive end. I am really impressed with his progress...

One of my thoughts during tonight's game, after he pulled down a solid rebound, was that I can't remember another player displaying this much in-season improvement for us in a long time. Considering how much we need him to keep doing what he's been doing, I think Lance could submit one of the great unsung individual Duke seasons we've seen in a while. Wish I could be back on campus to tell him so.

greybeard
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Seemed to me that Gary did a masterful job coaching. In the second half, Maryland played a completely different defense, at least I think, that deprived K a chance to do his adjustments at halftime.

The defense, I think it had to do with stopping finishes off the penetration by deploying the bigs in a type of two man zone, with the guy who did not stop the dribbler being responsible for Duke's lone big inside and closing on the shooter if the ball went out and was rotated. Osby had difficulty getting to Singler a few times, but basically, the easy layups were stopped, and most threes contested.

What I was looking for Duke to do was what they finally did off a time out, which was to get it to Lance on the move. He missed a contested lay up, but that was something that would have been their the entire second half.

The first half Gary let the threes rain; in the second half I think he stopped the dribble penetration and finishes and guarded the threes but the middle would have been vulnerable, especially to a high low game between Singler and Lance aka against Carolina.

K coached great down the stretch. One time, I don't know how, he created a no help down low (maybe it was a 1-4 alignment or a 2-3 with the three high, and Scheyer had an easy route to the basket after a terrific hesitation off a foul line screen. In addition to the play for Lance, I think that there was a week-sde clearout that allowed Singler to attack the basket from the corner, and a general use of Singler to attack, leaving Maryland without their mini two-man big zone in the middle to help on the attack.

Singler played just terrifically. The final 8 minutes the entire team played great, especially defensively.

Give Maryland and Gary lots of credit. This Duke team is so fun to watch!

OldPhiKap
02-13-2008, 10:40 PM
"This Duke team is so fun to watch!"

One of my favorite teams in years. I'm not sure how long the ride's gonna be, but I'm sure as hell enjoying it while it lasts.

Highlander
02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
One of the things I noticed in the second half was that Maryland tried to run on every missed shot, and we were having a hard time getting back. One problem with shooting a long ball is that it more often results in a long rebound if you miss. Maryland caught those long misses and pushed the ball down the court for quick, easy buckets time and again.

I'd never noticed us having this issue before, probably because it's been awhile since we've had a 5 minute dry spell like that. My guess is that the guys will be working a bit on getting back on D after a long miss this week.

That being said, this is a tough team, and I've enjoyed watching them all season. Tonight's win was great. We survived a Maryland punch, and punched them right back. Last year we would have crumbled and tried to hold on. Seeing us answer Maryland's 3's time and again just had to take the wind out of their sails. And watching us run the delay at the end of a game is just so satisfying. Other than Lance's miss (which he should have knocked down), I think we scored on every possession. Tough to come back on a team when they do that.

Great win. Just great.

jlear
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Loved seeing Z make a difference on the defensive end for a few minutes and props to Lance for his continued improvement on both ends. I think these guys will be very important in March and April.

Great job by the crazies tonight!

Why is Gary Williams allowed out of the coaching box while screaming at the refs? He showed them up big time.

jlear
02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I really try to remain indifferent when it comes to people who exhibit traits that I find undesirable. That said, I cannot stand Gary Williams!

He doesn’t graduate players
During the game:
He screams at players on the bench
He screams at his assistants
He screams at the refs (and does not get called for a technical)
Everytime his team has the ball they were fouled wether they scored or not and someone must be screamed at.
Everytime his team is on defense a call was missed or not called early enough wether the team scores or not and someone must be screamed at.

If I was one of his players on the bench I would knock him on his butt if he was screaming in my face like that for two hours.

Why does anyone put up with that? Is he a totally different person outside of game situations? Do his players like him? Do players leave early because they cannot take it anymore or is academics are just not a priority?

GREAT SIGNS TONIGHT BY THE CRAZES
Fear the Classroom - The mind is a terrapin thing to waste - If you can read this Gary won’t recruit you – 0%

wilson
02-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Give him a break...Duke gets all the calls.

dukepsy1963
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
It amazes me how we "swarm" and fight for rebounds! We may be shorter than many teams, but we make up for it in "fight" and determination! That, coupled with the way we "can" force turnovers (first half tonight especially) make this team very exciting to watch, as many have said. I have not seen this much hustle in a long, long time.

I agree that this was the most "civil" game against Maryland I have witnessed in some time. This was a tough game for both teams. Fortunately, we came out the winner.

On the threes. Thank goodness for our scoring balance. Someone steps forward each game.

Am I the only one who thinks that King may be experiencing some sort of psychological issue when he steps in to play? Nervous, tentative, etc.?
Can he be worked into our offense a bit better....? I would like to see a bit more playing time for him, despite his defensive liabilities at this point. We could espcially use his three's from time to time (scoring dearth in second half, for example).

But all in all, this team is for real!!!

willywoody
02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
after all the maryland is the hottest team in the acc talk i can't keep repeating:

drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot, drop it like it's hot...

Tchoupitoulas
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Great win for Duke but I'm concerned that the minutes for key players (Singler, Paulus, Nelson) are creeping up in the mid 30 minute range. I would like to see more minutes from McClure and Smith. Seems like King -- with his outside shot totally disappearing -- is the odd man out but I think he can still contribute. Would love to get that flow going again where waves of Dukies keep coming off the bench to run the other team down. Can't complain about much else.

Tchoup.

diablesseblu
02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Have watched Gary around his players off the court. Simply put.....he is verbally abusive to them....and in public settings no less. Would never want my son anywhere near his type of coaching.

Have been appalled by his behavior and have discussed it with people close to the Terp program. They do not deny it nor make any excuses for him. They're just grateful for the success he has had.

Sad.

gep
02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
One problem with shooting a long ball is that it more often results in a long rebound if you miss. Maryland caught those long misses and pushed the ball down the court for quick, easy buckets time and again.

One question I had... I didn't want to start another thread... but on "long" rebounds after a missed 3-point attempt, why is it that the defensive team "always" have the advantage. At least, that's what I constantly hear. If the offensive team knows this, why can't the other 4 players position themselves for the "long" rebound. But, I think Duke has generally done well in this respect? Thanks....

3rd Dukie
02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I am quite glad we won and thought it was yet another gutsy performance by a team that is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites . However, am I the only one who is much more concerned about Gerald's injury than excited or thrilled about the win?. I mean, it seems to me that he has really reduced his effectiveness the last few games since the injury. We will not have the season we have come to expect if he does not heal and improve his performance soon.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am genuinely concerned.

greybeard
02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Loved seeing Z make a difference on the defensive end for a few minutes and props to Lance for his continued improvement on both ends. I think these guys will be very important in March and April.

Great job by the crazies tonight!

Why is Gary Williams allowed out of the coaching box while screaming at the refs? He showed them up big time.

Great post!!!! I wondered too. I don't like coaches on the floor, especially when they strike poses like Gary and Roy have done in successive games, getting down in defensive stances and screaming. This is a competition among college students. Coaches have their proper role.

Whatever it is, it should be done off the court. T em up, I say, if they step one foot on it. If they want to cheer lead; let em put on a skirt; if they want to play; their times have past. If they want to coach, let them behave like it. "End of discussion."

I thought it great to see Z on the court and thought he comported himself well. One thing I saw relative to Z that I really did not like. Z had made a decent play on the defensive end, Nelson had the ball, just caught it on the left wing as Z arrived down the court, set up in the middle with excellent position two feet from the rim and made himself low and available.

If there is a play that should be made and isn't, it hurts the team. The play that should have been made without thinking was for Nelson to relay the ball to Z low, let Z reach down to make a catch one-handed, an athletic play, and beat his guy. Z was in rhythm and it was a play waiting to happen.

A team will not reach its potential unless plays like that are made, and players are given the chance to succeed. Not Nelson's strength but he needs to show that ability sooner or later. I hope it is sooner. Way to go Z!!!

jimsumner
02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
nonslaught?

Methodistman
02-13-2008, 11:58 PM
We were at the game tonight, and it seemed pretty obvious that Gerald was hurting. So many times you could see him simply grabbing the wrist, even with that brace. Has there ever been any official word about what's up with the wrist?

My family and I were THRILLED to see Dave go in and dunk (sorta) the ball in the first half. However, us and everyone around us had a collective "what was that?" moment when he put up the 3 ball.

We seemed to have a difficult time finishing tonight - and that wasn't always due to defense. Several times someone would drive (Nelson and Singler twice each - not that I'm complaining - I'm just saying .. .) and they would kick the ball out of bounds, or it would hit their knee, or they would just flat out lose it. Without those, we would have really done something inside.

Good game. Not sure which I prefer - a cold first half and hot second half, or a hot first half and just hang on second half. Either way, as long as it ends up with a "W" I'll take it.

mapei
02-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Even in routine interviews he comes across as an angry guy, in a seething-beneath-the-surface sense.

Methodistman
02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
From where we were sitting, my kids got a pretty good view of "sweat, gary, sweat"s behavior. My oldest son (10) keep saying, "Dad, look at sweaty Gary yelling at those guys."

Now I realize K can yell, and use the exact same language Gary does. But if he is addressing his players, it at least seems a little more constructive.

dukemsu
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Anyone have a count on Sweaty's technicals this year? He's exactly the kind of guy they were targeting with the supposed "decorum" focus this year.

Haven't seen it much. Then again, Daniel Ewing isn't coaching for anyone yet.

dukemsu

mgtr
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Not all yelling is the same. Some, such as Coach K, can yell constructively, while others, such as GW, seem to yell destructively, if that distinction makes sense.

mapei
02-14-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't recall ever seeing Gary hit with a T.

dukemsu
02-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Not all yelling is the same. Some, such as Coach K, can yell constructively, while others, such as GW, seem to yell destructively, if that distinction makes sense.

Agreed. Even more troubling for Sweaty is that often, it seems that no one is listening to his rantings, not refs, his team, his assistants. I don't get that impression with K.

dukemsu

Duvall
02-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't recall ever seeing Gary hit with a T.

Well, he did get tossed from Cameron back in 1998.

Good lord, that was ten years ago.

mgtr
02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Is Gerald injured? He seems to not elevate as well, and certainly doesn't finish with authority Maybe he and Scherer should change places? Scheyer can definitely take it to the hole on a clear oout. And, he can make his free throws. Excited to see the official box.

mgtr
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
And, If I haven't mentioned it lately, MGs are really great cars!

Surfsideron
02-14-2008, 01:03 AM
I haven't read any of the posts as yet.....it's late and I just finished watching a tape of the game. It was a heart-thumper for a while!

Singler and Paulus carried the team tonight with some clutch help from Scheyer. Nelson had 10-12 points but didn't stand out.

Henderson cannot have games like this any longer if we are to succeed. There is no excuse for him not to have a single basket. This guy can't be invisible.

I think Taylor is getting down on himself. He's had some bad shooting games lately. I saw him after the game shaking hands and he looked really down. The kid just needs to slow down and get a feel for the game. The coaches have got to calm him down.

Nolan played a little like a deer caught in the headlights also.

A good win but as the season draws to an end, our boys will be under more pressure with each game. Four of the next 6 are on the road so let's not get to far ahead of ourselves.

dukemomLA
02-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Yes, I am also concerned about Gerald's wrist, and about Taylor's lack of confidence lately. But I disagree that this is a team that "lives & dies" by the 3.

Yes, obviously (...and much to our delight) this is a team with true shooters. And yet, I feel they have proven -- and will continue to prove -- that even when the 3s aren't falling, they find other ways to keep opponents off-balance. Great D is a signature of this team. Alley-Oops, slash & burn, great court vision, using BB IQ to cause the other team to foul at strategic points in the game.

Do I cringe about a bad shooting night? Of course. Do I think all of these guys will be ineffective all night for a whole game? Not really.

dukelifer
02-14-2008, 07:38 AM
I haven't read any of the posts as yet.....it's late and I just finished watching a tape of the game. It was a heart-thumper for a while!

Singler and Paulus carried the team tonight with some clutch help from Scheyer. Nelson had 10-12 points but didn't stand out.

Henderson cannot have games like this any longer if we are to succeed. There is no excuse for him not to have a single basket. This guy can't be invisible.

I think Taylor is getting down on himself. He's had some bad shooting games lately. I saw him after the game shaking hands and he looked really down. The kid just needs to slow down and get a feel for the game. The coaches have got to calm him down.

Nolan played a little like a deer caught in the headlights also.

A good win but as the season draws to an end, our boys will be under more pressure with each game. Four of the next 6 are on the road so let's not get to far ahead of ourselves.

Everyone is a bit banged up and this is a tough stretch- two very emotional games against UNC and Maryland. Players will not always play at their best. But Henderson was very active yesterday- 7 bounds and 3 assists - that is not invisible. Nolan who starred against Maryland at Maryland- did not play enough to get caught in the headlights and King is in a funk but we all know that could all change in one game. I actually think King can do more if needed. He has a pretty good feel for the game. The next few games are going to be a challenege. So far the team has been up to it.

dukestheheat
02-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Yes, I am also concerned about Gerald's wrist, and about Taylor's lack of confidence lately. But I disagree that this is a team that "lives & dies" by the 3.

Yes, obviously (...and much to our delight) this is a team with true shooters. And yet, I feel they have proven -- and will continue to prove -- that even when the 3s aren't falling, they find other ways to keep opponents off-balance. Great D is a signature of this team. Alley-Oops, slash & burn, great court vision, using BB IQ to cause the other team to foul at strategic points in the game.

Do I cringe about a bad shooting night? Of course. Do I think all of these guys will be ineffective all night for a whole game? Not really.

I totally agree with your analysis on Duke and the 3 ball this year; on this team, though we're shooting a lot from the next zip codes, it's coming out of our regular offense and we have many guys who can stroke those shots. Even our reliable big, Iron Man Kyle Singler, is a true threat with the deep shot.

Point is that if we've got three guys who're off (God forbid it, just sayin'....) that night, someone else on Duke is going to step it up and fill in.

In those games, however, Duke is going to have to hit those free throws.

Good point and post.

dth.

gw67
02-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Some thoughts on last night’s game are:

• The final outcome was what I expected but I’m surprised that it wasn’t greater given the significant differences in three point goals, made foul shots and turnovers.
• Each coach was successful in stopping what the other team did well in the first game. Nelson, Henderson and Smith were big factors in the first win while Singler, Paulus and Scheyer (and three point shooting) were shut down. Last night, Singler, Paulus and Scheyer were the leaders on offense and Henderson and Smith were shut down. On the other side, the key Maryland players in the first game, Gist and Osby, were held in check and the guards were unable to get the ball to the frontcourt players in a place where they could score easily.
• The Devils defense was stifling. The defense forced Vasquez to start further from the basket and the deny defense prevented most entry passes to the interior. Helping the Devils was the fact that Gist and Hayes couldn’t put the ball in the ocean.
• Singler and Paulus are stepping up to join Nelson as the leaders on this team. Both are playing at a very high level and appear on their way to making 2nd/3rd team All ACC.
• The only bright spot for the Terps was the play of Vasquez. Even with Nelson in his grill the entire game, he was able to drive to the basket and score on numerous occasions. He also had a bunch of rebounds and assists, and on defense he held Nelson in check in the halfcourt defense (I believe that Nelson flushed two on breakaways).

The Devils continue to elevate their game. An undefeated ACC season is within reach, IMO. To beat them, a team will need to bring its’ “A” game on offense and take away some of the outside shooting. That is not an easy task and I think that a healthy UNC is the only team in the ACC who have the potential to do so.

gw67

alteran
02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
I thought it was one of the most civil Duke-Md games in recent history. I usually leave the game cussing a blue streak about one of MD's players, but it was actually a pretty clean game.

I think the second half slump started when DeMarcus missed a few outside shots, then got tentative. We seemed to lose our rythm and moving the ball. Whoever played D on Gerald must have done a great job because he was as quiet as he has been all year. Still, overall it was a big conference win against a hungry, hot, well-coached team. Yay us!

One of the ironies of the expanded ACC is that teams I've come to hate (UNC, Maryland) show so much more on court sportsmanship then the teams I was until recently indifferent towards (cough, VT, BC, cough).

tbyers11
02-14-2008, 08:37 AM
nonslaught?

IIRC, nonslaught was coined in Snrub chat one night to describe a long scoring drought by Duke. If one of Duke's patented scoring bursts could be described as an onslaught, then it follows that a drought could be labeled a nonslaught. :D

alteran
02-14-2008, 08:41 AM
on T.V that when we went to the "spread offense" (that we use to call the "stall", I like spread better:p ) everyone stood up to cheer. It is extremely effective, and I love seeing K direct like he is leading a symphony orchestra.:D

My, how far we have come. It's like a knockout punch you know is coming, but ya can't do nothin' about it!:eek:

The stall game is an absolute pleasure to watch this year. Typically, I think of our stall game as an offense in which we try to break even or only lose a point or two every minute. I understand the necessity but it makes me want to run to the fridge and torpedo a couple brews to numb the pain.

Now, it seems to be something which we can use to extend the lead. Our players seem to keep their offensive mindset, rather than "losing the flow."

I love how when the defense hands us an opportunity to score a layup we take it rather than stall another 5 to 10 seconds. Two points is as good as stalling another half minute.

I assume the difference is we have a team full of guys who are legitimate threats to slash to the basket-- Nelson, Henderson, Smith, Singler, and Scheyer.

alteran
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
• Each coach was successful in stopping what the other team did well in the first game. Nelson, Henderson and Smith were big factors in the first win while Singler, Paulus and Scheyer (and three point shooting) were shut down. Last night, Singler, Paulus and Scheyer were the leaders on offense and Henderson and Smith were shut down. On the other side, the key Maryland players in the first game, Gist and Osby, were held in check and the guards were unable to get the ball to the frontcourt players in a place where they could score easily.

Interesting, I didn't catch this-- this certainly explains what I saw.

I saw a Maryland team completely stifling the drive, and forcing Duke to become a bunch of jump-shooters and three-point shooters.

Vitale kept complaining about Paulus and Singler working open at three point range, but as far as I could tell that was the trade Maryland was making to absolutely stuff the drive, which they did.

A couple times when the three stopped falling, Maryland closed the gap fast. Then the three would start falling again, and Duke would get back a margin.

My guess is, this is a plan we're going to see again, particularly in the tournaments-- stifle the drive, and hope Duke gets cold at range.

yancem
02-14-2008, 09:33 AM
nonslaught?

I noticed that too!

Carlos
02-14-2008, 09:55 AM
And, If I haven't mentioned it lately, MGs are really great cars!

If you're a mechanic.
You must like warm beer, too.

vango
02-14-2008, 10:04 AM
This has little to do with last nights game - but photo #9 in the Baltimore Sun's re-cap of the DU v. MD series since 01 is an awesome photo:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-marylandduke-pg,0,6275898.photogallery

Pretty much summed up this years games thus far (may be 1 - or maybe 2? - more in the future though....)

Billy Dat
02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
A couple of things that I don't think I've seen people comment on that I am interested in hearing opinions about:

-It cracked me up that on the day Kelvin Sampson gets in trouble for potentially breaking NCAA rules, ESPN throws up a graphic describing Osby's 15 classic cars! As Bill Simmons might say, "I think Bob Ley needs to do an 'Outside the Lines' on this story." In all seriousness, I am sure Osby got them legitimately, and they even inferred that most are reclamation projects, but it was still very funny. When I was at Duke, even the rich kids only had one car.

-While Vasquez had a very solid game, did anyone else notice how often K had someone different picking him up on D, and not off switches. I don't have the game taped, but I saw Markie, Paulus, Smith, Thomas, G and Scheyer all picking him up at different times. I thought it was a smart move to give him those different looks - sometimes a smaller quick guy, sometimes a tall long guy. I think it helped keep him from effectively feeding the post. It also kept the potential foul burden distributed. We had no foul trouble last night.

-Sometimes I think our guys, especially G, try to hard to finish a drive with a dunk instead of simply using glass or a Duhon-esque floater. It's like they are trying to make a statement. Fellas, just get the deuce. Of course, I am baffled by Gerald's frequent inability to convert dunks when he's got the ball 6 inches clear of the rim. It really seems like a mental block.

-Maryland was smart last night to allow some of our drives into the lane while staying at home and challenging the driver to make something happen. The result was often a blocked shot or turnover. For our O to continue to evolve as an unstoppable force, I want guys like G, Scheyer and Singler to try out the jump stop mid lane for that nice little midrange jumper. They way we drive and kick, that shot is there all the time. I think teams are going to play us the way MD D'ed us up last night and adding that little midrange shot will make us that much tougher to guard. I didn't put Markie on that list because I enjoy his bullrushes to the hoop too much, especially because he seems to always get fouled or put it in (something he wasn't able to do in years past).

-The job K has done with this team is right up there with his best jobs ever. The substitution patters have been masterful. I am sure this will be a recurring theme if we keep having this kind of success down the stretch.

-This is going to be a weird stretch run of the ACC. On 'Basketball and Beyond", K referred to these ACC teams with mediocre records (NC State, UVA, Wake) as 'wounded animals' that fight to the death because they are up against it and have nothing to lose. I am sure that phrase will get a lot of play in the locker room in the coming weeks.

What a season so far.

Carlos
02-14-2008, 10:08 AM
The stall game is an absolute pleasure to watch this year.

...snip...

I assume the difference is we have a team full of guys who are legitimate threats to slash to the basket-- Nelson, Henderson, Smith, Singler, and Scheyer.

Partially - but the other big difference here is that when Duke goes into the delay game they're often doing it with the small lineup of Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson, Nelson, and Singler. If the other team is playing their traditional lineup of two bigs on the floor then you're always going to have a mismatch somewhere with a big trying to check one of Duke's quicker players.

Last night Gary took the gamble and tried to have Gist guard Scheyer when Duke went into the spread/delay/stall/whateverthehellyouwanttocallit. Duke did - and has consistently done - a great job of identifying the mismatch and then abusing the defense. Some nights it's been Nelson, others it's been Henderson, and almost always Duke has an advantage with Singler.

The other difference isn't that Duke just has a group of slashers, but that they also have a team of shooters. If you take Singler out of the lineup and replace him with McRoberts the delicate balance of Duke's delay game crumbles. Teams didn't have to respect McRoberts away from the basket so they could pack the lane with their big. So, using last night as an example, when Scheyer got a high pick from Singler, Osby hesitated on the hedge because Singler was 6-9 from threes and he didn't want to leave him. If that's McRoberts then there's no fear of him hitting the outside shot and you just pack the lane and play for the drive.

UncleBill
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Sweaty Gary must have really gotten on Vasquez at halftime for leaving Paulus open, I saw a few times in the second where he was dogging Greg step for step, in-your-face defense, in the backcourt, completely out of play, while the ball and eight other players where on the Duke offensive side of the court. But Greg wasn't open!

Acymetric
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Great post!!!! I wondered too. I don't like coaches on the floor, especially when they strike poses like Gary and Roy have done in successive games, getting down in defensive stances and screaming. This is a competition among college students. Coaches have their proper role.

Whatever it is, it should be done off the court. T em up, I say, if they step one foot on it. If they want to cheer lead; let em put on a skirt; if they want to play; their times have past. If they want to coach, let them behave like it. "End of discussion."

I thought it great to see Z on the court and thought he comported himself well. One thing I saw relative to Z that I really did not like. Z had made a decent play on the defensive end, Nelson had the ball, just caught it on the left wing as Z arrived down the court, set up in the middle with excellent position two feet from the rim and made himself low and available.

If there is a play that should be made and isn't, it hurts the team. The play that should have been made without thinking was for Nelson to relay the ball to Z low, let Z reach down to make a catch one-handed, an athletic play, and beat his guy. Z was in rhythm and it was a play waiting to happen.

A team will not reach its potential unless plays like that are made, and players are given the chance to succeed. Not Nelson's strength but he needs to show that ability sooner or later. I hope it is sooner. Way to go Z!!!

I can't even imagine Zoub making an athletic one handed catch (if he has done this then I'm sorry I missed it!) especially just getting back from injury. Let him use two hands for now, much safer.

mapei
02-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I haven't seen anything from Z last year or what little he has been able to play this year that makes me totally comfortable when he's in the game. I see him as someone to put in just before or after a TV timeout to give someone else a rest for as few minutes as possible and hope nothing bad happens.

That doesn't mean he can't develop into much more than that. But I think he has a long way to go, and his injury hasn't helped.

gw67
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Actually, it wasn't until late in the game that Vasquez switched to Paulus. For most of the game he defended Nelson.

gw67

Classof06
02-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Great game last night, especially from Singler, and a great "supporting actor" performance by Paulus with 20, haha. I must say, I keep waiting to see a game where we struggle and that game hasn't happened yet. We look impressive each outing. Here are some things that stood out to me:

1) Gerald with 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 5 steals - I love this because it shows a kid that is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win. Despite only getting 3 or 4 attempts from the field, Gerald didn't get discouraged by his lack of scoring and made an impact on the game in other ways. This is a huge step in maturation for Gerald and he quietly had a superb game.

2) 75% FT shooting - Gotta make 'em in the big games and after witnessing our horrid FT shooting in person against BC on Saturday, it was good to see us hit 'em last night.

3) Lance with 2 blocks - Lance is really stepping up and providing an interior defensive presence (5 blocks the last 3 games). And though he had 4 fouls last night, he's been better with foul trouble as of late.

4) Productive minutes by Zoubek - However you may feel about Brian, I maintain that Duke will eventually need 10-15 productive minutes per game from Brian in order to win a national championship. He doesn't have to be Lew Alcindor down there, just play defense, alter a few shots and most importantly REBOUND. Like the commentators said last night, having an active Zoubek down the stretch is a big bonus for Duke. Monumental.

Once again, I am so proud of this team.

delfrio
02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Was it just me, or did Z make a big block he wasn't credited for?

3rd Dukie
02-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Partially - but the other big difference here is that when Duke goes into the delay game they're often doing it with the small lineup of Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson, Nelson, and Singler. If the other team is playing their traditional lineup of two bigs on the floor then you're always going to have a mismatch somewhere with a big trying to check one of Duke's quicker players.

Last night Gary took the gamble and tried to have Gist guard Scheyer when Duke went into the spread/delay/stall/whateverthehellyouwanttocallit. Duke did - and has consistently done - a great job of identifying the mismatch and then abusing the defense. Some nights it's been Nelson, others it's been Henderson, and almost always Duke has an advantage with Singler.

The other difference isn't that Duke just has a group of slashers, but that they also have a team of shooters. If you take Singler out of the lineup and replace him with McRoberts the delicate balance of Duke's delay game crumbles. Teams didn't have to respect McRoberts away from the basket so they could pack the lane with their big. So, using last night as an example, when Scheyer got a high pick from Singler, Osby hesitated on the hedge because Singler was 6-9 from threes and he didn't want to leave him. If that's McRoberts then there's no fear of him hitting the outside shot and you just pack the lane and play for the drive.

Carlos, I think you nailed this issue perfectly. Great analysis!

UncleBill
02-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Actually, it wasn't until late in the game that Vasquez switched to Paulus. For most of the game he defended Nelson.

gw67
Thanks, I was wrestling with toddlers and fighting a cold, I missed a few details of the first half.

DukeDevil
02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
This has little to do with last nights game - but photo #9 in the Baltimore Sun's re-cap of the DU v. MD series since 01 is an awesome photo:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-marylandduke-pg,0,6275898.photogallery

Pretty much summed up this years games thus far (may be 1 - or maybe 2? - more in the future though....)

Wow...did you guys check out markie in that last pic? Damn...what a change!

77devil
02-14-2008, 01:50 PM
An undefeated ACC season is within reach, IMO.
gw67

Sssh. Don't write or utter this again. Don't even think it. ;)

vango
02-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Wow...did you guys check out markie in that last pic? Damn...what a change!

I did - compare photo 16 with photo 19.

vango
02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Was it just me, or did Z make a big block he wasn't credited for?

I noticed that too in the box score - he did get a block from behind (hardly left the floor as I recall).

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 04:16 PM

not to mention, this is going to be one of our longer seasons and with all the running we do I want Kyle/Demarcus/Greg to be fresh come March.

Kyle played 37 mins last night, and I think he played 37 against UNC and he played 34 against BC. He's a freshman so we really need to keep him rested, especially with all the banging he's doing.

Hopefully games against Wake and GaTech can give the boys some rest for the final push.

Also dkbaseball's point about keeping Nolan and Taylor confident and "in the flow" (my words) is very true. Its tough to come in cold to any game, but especially when you've been sitting on the bench for the most part for several games.

Mudge
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Coach K:
How funny was that, when Coach K got mad at Paulus for not getting open, and using a hip to seal off the MD player guarding him? K was waving his arms in the air, and bumping Paulus all over the huddle-- can't you just see Bobby Knight doing that? Coach K's coaching heritage really shown through on that one last night. And for those who wonder about how much longer Coach K keeps doing this, did you see him jumping around on the sidelines, with his two artificial hips last night? That was more animated than I remember him getting all of last season. I think he's enjoying this season, and this bunch, a hell of a lot more than last year's team (me too, by the way), and if it keeps up like this, he'll keep doing this for a while to come yet.

Gary Williams:
Who the hell is Gary talking to, when he turns and froths at his bench, as his team gets murdered on the court, and what does he expect them to do, as he rages at them? What are these guys supposed to do-- check themselves into the game, and start doing whatever he's foaming on about?

Digger Phelps:
How can somebody have been so perceptive and insightful as a coach (beating the unbeatable UCLA teams more than once), and then be so clueless as an analyst of the game now? Are the demands of television pushing him to say inane things, or is something akin to senility setting in?

Dick Vitale:
How many times did Vitale assure us that Redick would do well in the NBA, and then, last night, in noting that Redick doesn't play at all, he says "It's a different game. His confidence is shot; he can't make a shot-- he's got to get with a team that needs someone to make an outside shot." This from a guy who is certainly geographically positioned to be aware of why Redick is not playing-- which has nothing to do with his confidence or his shot. Also, was anyone else surprised to see Vitale indirectly attacking a basketball coach with his comments about Indiana last night? Normally, a college basketball coach has to practically murder Mother Teresa to get on Vitale's bad side-- but not when it provides Vitale an opportunity to resuscitate the reputation of his favorite three-named basketball icon, Robert Montgomery Knight; does anybody think Vitale would have been half as indignant about Sampson and IU, if it didn't offer Vitale a chance to get on his soapbox about Knight (whom he still won't let retire in peace-- even Knight's son is not looking for him to come back, but Vitale is sure Knight's got "10 more good years in him".) I was hoping when Vitale didn't say much to start the game that he was experimenting with the "less is more" approach-- then it turned out that he just wasn't in his broadcast perch yet, and the reason we couldn't hear him was that he wasn't there... aaah, but we could hope, couldn't we?

Mike Patrick:
Patrick comes out with, "Kyle Singler has really improved his rebounding THIS SEASON"-- my question would be "How does Patrick know what Singler's rebounding was like last season? Was he watching Singler play in HS last year? Somehow, I doubt it." I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in Singler's rebounding technique from the beginning of this season to today.

SeattleIrish
02-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Mike Patrick:
Patrick comes out with, "Kyle Singler has really improved his rebounding THIS SEASON"-- my question would be "How does Patrick know what Singler's rebounding was like last season? Was he watching Singler play in HS last year? Somehow, I doubt it." I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in Singler's rebounding technique from the beginning of this season to today.

Mudge:

I had that same initial thought, but after considering the comment, it's probable Patrick was stating Kyle has improved his rebounding since the beginning of THIS year. It does make sense in that context.

s.i.

Olympic Fan
02-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Gary Williams:
Who the hell is Gary talking to, when he turns and froths at his bench, as his team gets murdered on the court, and what does he expect them to do, as he rages at them? What are these guys supposed to do-- check themselves into the game, and start doing whatever he's foaming on about?

This one, I can answer -- during the 1999 ACC Tournament in Charlotte, I had a seat just a couple of rows behind the Maryland bench. That was supposed to be a great Maryland team -- with Steve Francis, Laron Profit and Lonny Baxter (Juan Dixon came off the bench). They finished second to unbeaten Duke in the ACC, but they were struggling in the semifinals against a much weaker UNC team (the worst team, in fact that Guthridge coached -- the one that lost to Weber State a week later).

Gary spent almost the entire second half ranting and raving. He wasn't just talking to the guys on the bench, but to us fans in the lower rows. Stuff like:

"How can that $^^%$ play basketball for half his life and not know how to (*&^$#$ block out!"

At one point he started screaming at his sports information director, who was one of the official scorers -- not for a screwup at the scorer's table, but because the team was playing so lousy -- and it sure sounded like Gary thought it was his fault the Terps were getting beat.

It was quite a show, the highlight coming with Brian Bersticker hit a crucial basket for Carolina ... Gary spun around and stared right at the guy next to me and screamed, "Brian Bersticker ... Brian *&^$ Bersticker ... Brian ^*^$ *&$# Bersticker ... Brian %$#@& *&^%& %$#@ Bersticker??!!"

I didn't know Bersticker had so many colorful middle names.

PS I think Vitale's condemnation of Sampson is a sign that the Indiana coach is dead meat. You're right that Dickie V will go to the ends of the earth to defend a coach. The only other time I can recall Vitale ripping a coach was when he went after Jim Harrick at Georgia.

4decadedukie
02-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Gary Williams appeared -- even more than he normally does -- as if he would suffer a stroke on the sideline.