PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Maryland

Jumbo
02-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Who was the Man of the Match on 2/13/07 vs. Maryland?

Richard Berg
02-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Has to be Paulus or Singler. Both shot well, passed well, helped beat the press, and defended well. I'm voting Paulus only because Singler had some shaky moments in the first half that led to turnovers.

Ben63
02-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Can't see how it isn't Singler. He absolutly dominated tonight.

mgtr
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
It is really easy to vote for Singler, and I understand that. But I voted for Greg Paulus. He has taken so much grief on this board, I am delighted to see him have a really, really good game. I wish I could split my vote.

ugadevil
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I loved Singler's drive on the baseline for the layup in the 2nd half. I thought that was a huge basket.

CameronBlue
02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Singler but Paulus makes it easier for Singler because Paulus is willing to take the tough shot and I have to believe it takes away some of the pressure. OTOH I've never seen a Freshman who plays as relaxed at the same time, as tough as Singler. Just a great talent to watch.

I also liked watching Osby in this game. A tough, fair competitor. If he wanted to hurt someone, he could, easily, but I've yet to see him give a hard foul. I really like his game.

pamtar
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Motm = Singlus

Ben63
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I also liked watching Osby in this game. A tough, fair competitor. If he wanted to hurt someone, he could, easily, but I've yet to see him give a hard foul. I really like his game.

I agree, he seems like a likable guy. Better than Deron Washington or Ryan Reid or the guy from Miami.

Duvall
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
A.J. Price. Wait, what do you mean I wasn't watching Notre Dame-UConn?

Singler.

dw0827
02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes, but I did see Kyle have a few (three as I recall) boneheaded turnovers in the 1st half . . . like he wasn't thinking. Very uncharacteristic because he is such a smart smart smart player.

Second half . . . gold. Calm, cool, and collected.

dw0827
02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

I have nothing but respect for Osby. He plays hard and hustles. In fact, I kinda like Maryland this year. A nice team . . . no chippiness . . .

But then we did sweep . . . so maybe thats why I'm so charitable.

dukestheheat
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
well, between Paulus (GREAT GAME!!) and Iron Man, and I gotta go with Iron Man. This is one incredible player who is precocious and we are so fortunate to have the opportunity to catch some of his growth. Maybe he's looking at the 5th week as Rookie of the Week in the ACC.........?

dth.

mapei
I went for Greg, but Kyle was awesome in the clutch. Not as impressed with some of their teammates, but those two were way impressive.

Bob Green
Scheyer hit a 3-pointer that broke the 5 minute scoring drought in the 2nd half plus he hit some big free throws in the game. For me, there is more to the MOTM than automatically voting for the player(s) who score the most points. Jon Scheyer contributed much to this victory and earns my vote for MOTM.

dw0827
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Scheyer hit a 3-pointer that broke the 5 minute scoring drought in the 2nd half plus he hit some big free throws in the game. For me, there is more to the MOTM than automatically voting for the player(s) who score the most points. Jon Scheyer contributed much to this victory and earns my vote for MOTM.

I always suspected that you were actually Jumbo in an oriental disguise. Now its confirmed!!!

mr. synellinden
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Singler.

IUGrad03
02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
We've had co-MOTM before and I think tonight it be Paulus and Singler. I voted for Greg because of everything he did in the game, not just point, but there is no doubt Singler deserves it to. Can we please give them both this accolade?

fitimi1
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I agree with Bob Green. Prior to that the team seemed, as my Grandfather used to say, discombobulated.

weezie
02-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Singler's points but Jon's poise. Scheyer righted the ship.

Bob Green
02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Jon Scheyer stats: 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot, and zero turnovers.

buddy
02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I voted for Kyle, who continues to amaze with his overall play. Paulus was just money in the first half, but I thought Scheyer righted the ship in the second half when we couldn't find water from a rowboat in the ocean. Nolan was a little overmatched. Nelson could not get anything from his inside game, and continued to frustrate himself, his fans, and his team all night by repeating the unrepeatable. But he saved himself with some hustle and defense. Taylor did not make silly fouls. Brian gave us a few minutes. His footwork is rusty, but his instincts are improving. Everyone needs to go on a snipe hunt to find tk's shot--I know it's hiding somewhere in Cameron. Dave had some helpful minutes and showed some opportunistic offense.

Jumbo
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't understand how Paulus is even in the conversation with Singler. He took some really quick shots and got beat whenever he was on Vasquez. Second half stats: Singler -- 5-7 FG, 3-3 3FG, 13 pts. Paulus -- 1-5 FG, 1-4 3FG.

Look, Greg shot the ball really well in the first half, and he hit a big three when we needed one in the second half. But almost all of Paulus' contributions come with the ball in his hands. Singler not only shot better -- he did (and does) all the little things.

snewman92
02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
I agonized between Singler and Scheyer but chose the latter, based on his contributions at key times. But it was a close call. I am amazed at how many young players we have on this team who are steadying influences with astronomical basketball IQs (and probably non-basketball IQs as well).

tbyers11
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Greg had a very good shooting and ballhandling game. Scheyer had his usual solid defensive effort and some big plays in the delay offense late. Nelson, Henderson, and Thomas were very good defensively but Kyle was the MOTM.

He had a couple of bad shots in the first half (quick 3's where he wasn't really set) and a couple of turnovers dribbling into traffic. But in the 2nd half he was money. That driving layup to make it 59-55 was huge. My favorite play was when he crossed the halfcourt line against the 3/4 court press and realizing that the Md D wanted to trap him just across the line, he dribbled hard to the hole and dished to Nelson for the dunk.

dukepsy1963
02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
It could have been Silky Singler or Greg tonight. I loved the play of both. But since I voted for Singler last time when I could have just as easily voted for Paulus, I am voting for Paulus tonight. Plus, I hope that somehow I am contributing to his incredible resurgence.....:). Way to go Paulus!

TNTDevil
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Scheyer hit a 3-pointer that broke the 5 minute scoring drought in the 2nd half plus he hit some big free throws in the game. For me, there is more to the MOTM than automatically voting for the player(s) who score the most points. Jon Scheyer contributed much to this victory and earns my vote for MOTM.Right on! Of course, I voted for Kyle but, without Scheyer in the game we just aren't as tough.

He just does everything well.

snowdenscold
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I voted for Singler - even though I wasn't particularly pleased with several turnovers in the first half. It seemed every time I looked up from my dinner he turned the ball over at our basket - but maybe that's just selective memory. Anyway, he played great in the second half when we really needed it.

Dukiedevil
02-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I almost voted for Henderson just because of everything else he did, but Singler just dominated this game through stretches and Hendo didn't quite score enough (has to be the injury). Exceptional game by Paulus who has been on fire lately. Solid minutes by Zoubek and Scheyer as well. Thomas and Nelson didn't necessarily play poorly, but it was a little below the level of their recent performances... Good win guys!

Jarhead
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
The truth is that whoever is the dominant Duke player in a game, the rest of the team still performs other necessary game chores at a very high level. My choice is Singler this time, but you gotta' give credit to the support. I didn't see any slack performances. I haven't been more satisfied with a team for several years.

socaldukie
02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I have to lean towards Scheyer. Kyle was obviously awesome. But, Scheyer is always there to do the little things that turn into big things (game changing moment & plays). He is just a rock. (much like KS).

pamtar
02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Jon Scheyer stats: 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot, and zero turnovers.

Thank you. Had you not posted that I would have never know. How Jon is quietly the most well-rounded player on the court every night is beyond me. I think I remember a three and a couple of free throws. Yet, the guy post 2/2 quality numbers. Insane.

SilkyJ
02-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Fair enough.

But Kyle is just so amazing to me right now. He's shooting light out and, much like scheyer, is mr. versatility. The drive from mid-court and then the dump-off to demarcus for the slam late in the game! That was awesome. He's getting rebounds against taller/bigger/more athletic guys. He really is our anchor right now. I'm seriously in love with this kid! (and this team!!)

Singler.

Iron.

(i think you came up with that btw, and if so, mucho props. love it)